• 51 results
#1 Posted by Shotgunblast97 (195 posts) -

So what are good FPS from 1993-2003. I think that most the best Fps while be on p.c. except from Goldeneye. I personally like the Solider of fortune game.

#3 Posted by Shotgunblast97 (195 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: cool choices, I used to want to play Postal 2 but I remember It kept getting bad reviews so I never got it but I kind of want to play it now.

#4 Posted by Demoskinos (16434 posts) -
#5 Posted by Village_Guy (2795 posts) -
#6 Posted by Klei (1799 posts) -
#7 Posted by OldGuy (1609 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

No One Lives Forever certainly.

I'm partial to NOLF2 (A sword fight in a mobile home caught in a tornado anyone?), but I won't argue with you.

#9 Posted by Warchief (671 posts) -
#10 Posted by pyromagnestir (4386 posts) -
#11 Posted by jaycrockett (603 posts) -

I really liked Unreal back in the day, but I'm guessing it doesn't hold up? I guessing a lot of these don't.

#12 Posted by ajamafalous (12513 posts) -

Doom 
Doom II 
Duke Nukem 3D 
Quake 
Quake II 
Quake III 
Unreal Tournament 
Unreal Tournament 2003

#13 Posted by RazielCuts (3076 posts) -

@OldGuy said:

@Village_Guy said:

I'm partial to NOLF2 (A sword fight in a mobile home caught in a tornado anyone?), but I won't argue with you.

@Warchief said:

System Shock 2 is the correct answer

Heartbreaking I, and so many other people, shall never be able to play these.

#14 Posted by punkxblaze (3013 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

Doom Doom II Duke Nukem 3D Quake Quake II Quake III Unreal Tournament Unreal Tournament 2003

I know he said between '93 and '03 but if we're gonna say UT2003 let's just say 2004. Better version of otherwise the exact same game. In most peoples' opinion anyway.

#15 Posted by Jams (3043 posts) -

@punkxblaze said:

@ajamafalous said:

Doom Doom II Duke Nukem 3D Quake Quake II Quake III Unreal Tournament Unreal Tournament 2003

I know he said between '93 and '03 but if we're gonna say UT2003 let's just say 2004. Better version of otherwise the exact same game. In most peoples' opinion anyway.

I didn't even really notice the "to 03" part. I wonder why he chose that year.

#16 Edited by L44 (629 posts) -

Marathon you guys.

I love you Mac I & II exclusives.

#17 Posted by Scrawnto (2506 posts) -

Most of my picks have already been posted, but come on, no one's said Battlefield 1942 yet?

#18 Posted by AhmadMetallic (19303 posts) -

@Jams said:

@punkxblaze said:

@ajamafalous said:

I didn't even really notice the "to 03" part. I wonder why he chose that year.

@Scrawnto said:

Most of my picks have already been posted, but come on, no one's said Battlefield 1942 yet?

I was under the impression that he wanted good singleplayer FPS games. Otherwise I would've listed the Quakes and Battlefields, but most of those multiplayer games either died or got outdone by their sequels

@RazielCuts said:

@OldGuy said:

@Village_Guy said:

@Warchief said:

Heartbreaking I, and so many other people, shall never be able to play these.

Yeah, I wish I'd played SS2 and NOLF back in the day, I only played them recently and couldn't get past the aging mechanics, but I could see how they were mindblowing once.

#19 Posted by punkxblaze (3013 posts) -

@jaycrockett said:

I really liked Unreal back in the day, but I'm guessing it doesn't hold up? I guessing a lot of these don't.

I dunno about the original Unreal, but Unreal Tournament holds up wonderfully. Maybe not in the graphics department, but in the holy shit this is fun to play department, which is where it counts.

#20 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3351 posts) -

Marathon. The sequel, especially.

#21 Posted by Little_Socrates (5834 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: You can totally grab some friends to play Quake III and have a fantastic time, though.

Having not played many of these games, DOOM, Quake, and Halo were my only real picks. I can't abide GoldenEye.

#22 Posted by Village_Guy (2795 posts) -

@OldGuy said:

@Village_Guy said:

Fair enough, both of them are great. I just thought the humor was better in the first, while the second had better set-pieces.

#23 Posted by Scrawnto (2506 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: Oh, if he was looking for something he could play now, I totally agree. I was thinking of the games that were good during that time span.

#24 Posted by Daneian (1307 posts) -

@L44 said:

Marathon you guys.

@ShadowConqueror said:

These two are men of refined taste and probably very good looking.

#25 Posted by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Pretty much this. Nothing much more to add except possibly Quake.

Possibly Quake? That's like the defining shooter of the 90s!

#26 Posted by Demoskinos (16434 posts) -

@MikkaQ: For you possibly. For me my memories skew more to Doom and Duke Nukem. Mostly Duke though.

#27 Posted by KillyDarko (1990 posts) -
#28 Posted by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@MikkaQ: For you possibly. For me my memories skew more to Doom and Duke Nukem. Mostly Duke though.

Well it's just what everyone was playing in LANs and tourneys, and they still do today, which is pretty impressive. Most of the jargon associated with shooters came out of the Quake scene. Culturally it's impact was immense.

#29 Posted by Demoskinos (16434 posts) -

@MikkaQ: Oh no denial with that. Of course thats where we get like you said many of the jargon words like "frag" from. I'm just one to favor Doom or Duke over Quake.

#30 Posted by Hexuality (35 posts) -

Am I alone in thinking Nightfire is a better game than Goldeneye? Too many good memories...

#31 Posted by mtcantor (966 posts) -

@Hexuality said:

Am I alone in thinking Nightfire is a better game than Goldeneye? Too many good memories...

Pretty much yeah.

#32 Posted by ShaggE (7240 posts) -
#33 Posted by predator (361 posts) -

@Warchief said:

System Shock

@punkxblaze said:

@jaycrockett said:

I dunno about the original Unreal, but Unreal Tournament holds up wonderfully. Maybe not in the graphics department, but in the holy shit this is fun to play department, which is where it counts.

The original Unreal absolutely holds up, one of the most atmospheric games ever and a great story with no dialogue.

#34 Posted by RedCream (777 posts) -
#35 Posted by Torrim (362 posts) -

If you're interested in Doom, get the ZDoom sourceport and grab all the WAD files from Steam. Import the files and run the loaders and you've got a totally playable experience that even works great with a controller if you tweak it.

Grab the Final Doom wads as well, as those have the best level designs if you're getting bored/stuck on Doom 2's last few levels. Start with TNT Evilution though, Plutonia is for those quick-saving masochists (still pretty great)

#36 Posted by Reddy1124 (146 posts) -

TimeSplitters is amazing and should be played by everyone.

#37 Edited by believer258 (12967 posts) -

@Daneian said:

@L44 said:

Marathon you guys.

@ShadowConqueror said:

These two are men of refined taste and probably very good looking.

Put down my vote for Marathon Durandal. Pretty good game if you've got half a brain and a willingness to read. Yes, thinking and reading in a classic shooter, how 'bout that? It's also free. Legally.

#38 Posted by Ravenlight (8057 posts) -
#39 Posted by RazielCuts (3076 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Yeah, I wish I'd played SS2 and NOLF back in the day, I only played them recently and couldn't get past the aging mechanics, but I could see how they were mindblowing once.

How did you play them recently? I meant because they're kind of hard to find now, how did you manage it? People cite these games in the industry and I'd love to give them a go.

#40 Posted by Sploder (918 posts) -

Daikatana

#41 Posted by predator (361 posts) -

@Sploder said:

Daikatana

Yes, very underrated. I've played it twice and multiplayer is good too. I also run /r/daikatana on Reddit.

I think it's important to get to Episode 2 before dismissing it, because in order from best to worst I'd say Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 1 and Episode 4.

#42 Posted by AhmadMetallic (19303 posts) -

@RazielCuts said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

How did you play them recently? I meant because they're kind of hard to find now, how did you manage it? People cite these games in the industry and I'd love to give them a go.

I get banned when I mention anything related to that subject so, hint hint.

#43 Posted by BeachThunder (13306 posts) -

@OldGuy said:

@Village_Guy said:

Yes, that part was crazy :D I love NOLF 2.

Also, SS2; it's already been mentioned, but why not mention it some more.

#44 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1106 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Pretty much this. Nothing much more to add except possibly Quake.

Alien vs Predator 2? Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield?

#45 Edited by living4theday258 (693 posts) -

the marathon games

halo 1

doom 1 and 2

system shock 2

return to castle wolfenstein

counter-strike

nuff said

EDIT:@Intelligent_Space_Man: its mentioned twice now

#46 Posted by DeF (5230 posts) -
#47 Posted by thefaulconer (67 posts) -
#48 Posted by BeachThunder (13306 posts) -
#49 Posted by ajamafalous (12513 posts) -
@punkxblaze said:

@ajamafalous said:

Yeah, mine too, but I wanted to keep it within his year constraints.
#50 Posted by Stete (784 posts) -

If you wanna go old-skool, check out Strife. I think this game was way ahead of its time when it comes to single player fps campaigns considering all of its competitor's goals where just "find keys/unlock exit".

Also your life is not complete unless you played Blood. Shogo is pretty freaking awesome as well despite what everyone says, just make sure you patch the damn thing or expect to be bukkaked with bugs. Goddamn Monolith can make some amazing FPS when it wants to.