What Do You Think Of RPG's And Item Durability In Like Oblivion?

mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mattysen
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64
"I find it a pain in the ass. Just a way to deplete my money and stop me from questing!"
mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mattysen

I personaly do find it a pain in the ass, repair is way too hard to do yourself or takes all your money up from an NPC. It stops me in Fallout from using something like the T-51b armour or the Tesla Cannon. Although it does add slight realism 

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By The_Dude

It makes sense.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By coaxmetal

Item degredation rarely, if ever, adds to a game in my opinion. Sure, it makes sense, and adds realism, but its unwanted realism. If all I wanted was realism, why am I playing a video game?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#6  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I honestly don't mind it.  Gives me an excuse to get back out there and explore new areas for items and the like in order to keep my equipment up and going.  If it was in a game where I detested exploration, I'd probably get irritated by it.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hamz

Hate it, especially in oblivion where I found my weapons seemed to degrade in quality rather quickly and as they degraded in quality so did the level of damage they dealt and with the NPC enemy leveling in that game it was annoying as hell.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By vidiot

I have yet to see a series of gameplay mechanics that has done item durability, in a manner that hasn't been a pain in the ass.
It's one of those things that's supposed to add realism, but by contrast, simply adds more headaches than genuine moments of fun. To be quite honest, I was blown away that Fallout 3 had item degeneration. I'm pretty sure the fist two games sure as hell didn't have it, of all the things that were left over by Oblivion, weapon and item health were two things I had thought would have been scrapped. Not expanded on.

It's not surprising that such a mechanic actually broke the incentive to finish a main side quest and get the supposed best armor in the game, aka the T-51b power armor. In what was probably a way of apologizing for not playtesting their game, the T-51b Winterized power armor from Operation Anchorage is still bugged last time I checked, and doesn't degrade at all.

I think it's an archaic mechanic. I never felt like I was scavenging while playing Fallout 3, and I never felt...whatever I was supposed to feel playing Oblivion...

Hate it.

baba2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By baba2

It makes the game feel more real, but I hate it with a passion.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10  Edited By zyn

I dislike having to keep my weapon "maintenanced".  It really sucks when you've been fixing a weapon, only to find a better one sooner or later.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_A_Drain

Item durability is a fucking pain in the ass, especially in games as ass-backwardly designed as Oblivion where it's stupid hard just to navigate the goddamn menus to repair the thing.

Overall I dislike it intensely, but tolerated it in Fallout 3 because it was done in a slightly less invasive fashion, it was less difficult to repair stuff and a lot more intuitive. However, I wouldn't even fathom playing that game without upping your repair skill, I would probably want to kill myself as repairing weapons and armor costs so much money it's a wonder you'd even survive without the ability to self repair.

Rapture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Rapture
@The_Dude: not really since u can repair weapons of some super rare materials over and over again with a stupid hammer.
KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KillaMaStA

In oblivion I always had 100 repair hammers with me so i didint have problems with stuff breaking.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really annoyed me in the original STALKER (didn't play Clear Sky). In the vanilla version, stuff couldn't be repaired at all. Who thought this was a good idea?

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#15  Edited By ahoodedfigure

For me it depends on how it's done.  Sometimes all it is is a distraction. But like in Diablo it actually adds character to the weapon or item.  It gives it depth and makes me not focus on a single item so much, but instead maybe a few weapons with some standbys if the primary weapon gets worn down too much.  In Daggerfall it doesn't seem to have a whole lot to do with the game, but it's kind of fun to think I'm doing the RPG equivalent of washing laundry; it triggers something in my brain that tells me that this world is a bit more alive, even though it's an illusion.

I don't mind wear-and-tear at all, as long as it adds depth.  I'm sorta wondering if Borderlands will have something similar, although my guess is probably not.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Meowayne

Agree with what was said above. It doesn't add any entertainment value and should die.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By atejas

It depends on the game.
System Shock needs it.
STALKER needs it.
Fallout does not need it.
Arcanum does not need it.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By skrutop

I don't feel that it adds anything positive to the game, so I'd like to see games skip it.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By penguindust

I really don't have a problem with it as long as it makes sense.  I can see a cheap weapon needing maintenance more often than a more expensive weapon, but if within the game, they require the same level of upkeep then I am against that.  And, über magical weapons shouldn't have any maintenance requirements.  

Guns need bullets, bows need arrows, so banging on some dude in armor will probably require you to sharpen the blade from time to time.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EvilTwin

I don't really have a problem with it in any game I've played except Fallout 3.  Not being able to repair without a similar weapon is an interesting concept, but pretty annoying in practice.  Of course, you can pay the merchants to repair it, but the maximum they can repair to is like 90%(?) I believe.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Emilio

I really enjoyed it in Morrowind. Always carried a single hammer or such in order to repair a shield or sword.
Other than that, if I can't fix it myself I don't want it in my game.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I don't mind it but only so long as it's not done to the extent where I am always repairing my weapons every few dungeons. While I think it makes a small, interesting addition to some games I found that even Oblivion took the idea of item durability over the edge for me.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By gingertastic_10

It really doesn't bother me much at all.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By damswedon

most games with item Durability can be gamed so much that it doesnt matter

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Pazy

In oblivion I barely noticed it but then again I always carried 20+ swords with me for various reasons and 4 sets of clothes (casual town ware, dark brotherhood listener, dark cowl of nocturne (is that right? Been so long since I used it but the theives guild dude) and my proper heavywieght armour (slash my mule armour).

Even if I stuck to one set of armour and one sword I never noticed it, every now and then when I was looking at my inventory id see it say 80 and either go back to town or repair it myself from my couple hundred spair repair hammers.

In Fallout 3 is was a lot more noticable but I tended to use the gun of the enemies I fought so ammo and state rarely became an issue since I always combine weapons in my inventory to save space anyways.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Meowayne

Or to put it in better words: The moment Item durability keeps you from enjoying the use of powerful equipment, or even keeps you from using it at all, it should be removed from the game.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#27  Edited By natetodamax
@Hamz said:
" Hate it, especially in oblivion where I found my weapons seemed to degrade in quality rather quickly and as they degraded in quality so did the level of damage they dealt and with the NPC enemy leveling in that game it was annoying as hell. "
I agree with that. I was wearing some good light armor from the Shivering Isles and after two hits from a normal foe it was almost completely degraded.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#28  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Yes, it is usually a pain in the ass, but never a game-breaker.

nixium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By nixium

I think its unnecessary. It adds an added layer of frustration that just bugs me. It just detracts from the fun of the game.