• 59 results
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By penguindust

According to Joystiq, 1Up.com and host of ListenUp, Garnett Lee has been hired as the editorial director of Gamefly, the video game rental outlet.  Gamefly has been trying to expand its content and services for a while now in order to increase traffic to its sites.  They have a flash game site called Ponged, and acquired Shacknews earlier this year.   Lee will be editorial director of all Gamefly affiliated sites.

According to Shacknews, "I am delighted to join GameFly," said Lee. "I've had an amazing time at 1UP during which I've had the opportunity to run all the different individual elements of the content package--news, previews, reviews, video, and managing editor. Coming to GameFly gives me a chance to put everything I've learned together."  

What does this mean for ListenUP?  Well, I assume that someone else will be taking over the head chair position.  Additionally, Lee stated that he intends to develop a new podcast at Gamefly in the tradition of 1Up Yours and Listen Up. 

Smarter_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Smarter_Martyr

No more Listen Up? 1Up is dead now. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

What the hell? This came out of nowhere. No more ListenUP, and 1UP.com is little more than an empty husk at this point.

Good luck Garnett! It sounds like a risky proposition in my opinion, but sometimes those can really pay off.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By albedos_shadow

David Ellis tweeted that there will be one more episode of ListenUP, but yep, that's pretty much it for 1up now. Shame to see it end.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By crusader8463

Man 1up RIP. That site is a shadow of its former greatness. I find it harder and harder to find a reason to go there now. Especially since they did that whole copy game trailers shit its just gotten more confusing to me. Oh well back to watching co-op on revision 3,  that's the closest thing there is to feeling like its still the good ol days of 1up.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
@crusader8463: I agree with you about Co-op. It's a weekly reminder of how great the editorial content from EGM and 1UP used to be.
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By gingertastic_10

So 1UP is like dead now. Well they do still have David Ellis.

deathstroke75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By deathstroke75

bummed about losing him on the listenUP podcast, but happy for Garnett...sounds like a great opportunity for him.  now it's just the bombcast, co-op, trs, and i'll throw invisible walls in there just because it's a quickie 30 minutes.  have to keep an eye on shack and the other GF stuff to see if he whips up a new podcast.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iamjohn

As huge a blow as this is to 1UP, come on guys, they ain't dead yet.  Retronauts is bad-ass. :( 

Great news for the G-Man, though.  Really curious to see how he does as the big boss man for Shacknews and everything else.

Smarter_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Smarter_Martyr
@iAmJohn:  You're right. Retronauts is the badassness, Parish FTW, but I'll be damned if I'm listening to a podcast hosted by David Ellis. Fuck that shit!

I finished listening to the last 1up Yours and noticed when Shane said "It's your goddamn show", then Garnett said "It's OUR goddamn show." I thought it peculiar at the moment, but now it makes perfect sense. I've listened to this for the past 3+ years, but never thought it could end. Good luck to him.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By crusader8463

I did just see this video on 1up. It was pretty good and might turn out to be pretty awesome if sharky can keep it up. It reminded me of a Luis Black act minus the screaming. Very appropriate given recent events here as well. It is the first thing on their site i have seen in a long time that was interesting though. Time will tell, but to me 1up just doesn't have any kind of personality now. It just feels like another generic corporate website like ign or gamespot.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Andorski
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jeffsekai

hey remember when 1up was closing a while ago? and it was never going to be the same...yea rember how that turned out....I stopped careing after that whole thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I stopped visiting 1up after Milkman stopped  posting his FFXI blogs, they were awesome.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Andorski

I hope that this will lead with some sort of shift in editorial content on the site.  1up still produces the best reading content about video games, but they try to run the site like it is IGN, where they want to cover everything even though they have a very small staff.  It would probably be best if they put their focus more on doing those awesome 1up Cover stories, consolidating all their podcasts to make one or two very good shows,  Game Night, and doing blog-style news (so that they can release them quickly, like Joystiq or Kotaku).

fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By fillmoejoe

No more Listen Up? That sucks.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MeierTheRed

Sad shit indeed. Now theres only a handful of talented people left. The future for Listen UP looks kind of dark now. Garnett wont be the lead man, John's company got bought by IGN, so he might not appear on it either. 

Not many left to run the show other than David Ellis and Sam Kennedy.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pause422

I thought 1up was pretty much dead since they got bought out by that other company. Thats when I stopped ever going there at least.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Hamz

Never really was a fan of 1UP or Garnett Lee in particular. This news is like a foul taste in my mouth.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By get2sammyb

Hang on what? Is this the end of Listen Up? I literally listened to an episode last night from TGS and there seemed like no indication of him leaving. I'm bemused.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mracoon

Man I only really visited 1up for ListenUp/1upYours these days and he was my favourite part of that podcast.

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ververdan0226

:(

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By RHCPfan24
@Andorski said:
"
"
That was when he saw Toby again, right? Classic.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By artofwar420

LOL @ Michael. And... I don't think I can muster being subscribed to another podcast, I probably will do it anyways.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Bruce
@PenguinDust: 

Thank god, I was tired of him on 1up. His 'Senior' moments and general not-knowing-what the fuck he's talking about was getting a little old. He really needed guys like Shane and Shawn to constantly bounce off of during the podcast.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By get2sammyb
@Bruce: "Senior moments" -- the dude's only what, early 40's/late 30's right? Geez. Is that considered "senior" now? Dude has probably made some factual mistakes on the podcast but, c'mon -- we all do that. Or perhaps it's just me? Perhaps I'm senior at 21?
teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By teptom

Holy crap, this sucks.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#28  Edited By sjschmidt93

The weird thing is him leaving basically kills 1UP in a lot of people's eyes (certainly mine). Listen UP was really the only thing that kept me going to 1UP occasionally. UGO should've recognized this and offered him a big ass raise, eh....

No Caption Provided
Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Warfare

That sucks.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By artofwar420
@get2sammyb said:
" @Bruce: "Senior moments" -- the dude's only what, early 40's/late 30's right? Geez. Is that considered "senior" now? Dude has probably made some factual mistakes on the podcast but, c'mon -- we all do that. Or perhaps it's just me? Perhaps I'm senior at 21? "
You're what's called middle aged. Better get a fast expensive car before you commit suicide.
bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By bwooduhs

Is there any confirmation that Listen Up is dead or is it just gonna have another name change or host?

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Alexander

I was never a huge fan of Garnett but Listen UP is ever so good. Very different to the Bombcast, they tend to have a deeper discussion about gaming and more guests of interest on the show. Not to say it's better, just different and I will miss it sorely if this is the end of it.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dany

Their deeper discussion in my opinion were just nip picking on details of a game that is overly analytical form a joe listening. They always seemed to agree with Garnet and any counter point would always delve in to how his thought on a subject was right. Still, never around for the 1up debacle but it appears that 1up is a shadow of it former self from the smart people of the internet.

Infinityslimit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Infinityslimit

This sucks I like Garnett only reason I stayed at 1up. I guess all good things have to come to an end. Man those were some good times... :(
TheSonofBM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheSonofBM

While Garnett got on my nerves a lot, he did something that i dont hear a lot of other podcast hosts doing.  He kept the show moving.  He kept his shows focused on talking on topic or switching to another.  Unlike so much of the shit you hear out there, with four douche bags all laughing and talking at the same time like a group of stoners watching Half Baked and eating magic pixie dust, Garnett kept his guys focused.  I guess its out of my absolute hatred for the group of completely unlistenable fuck nuts at IGN that i really appreciated what Garnett did for that podcast.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Systech

Garnett Lee, no one reads Gamefly. Does this mean he's going to be the guy that writes most of the game description labels or something like that?

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By teh_destroyer

Gamefly sucks >_>

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By iamjohn
@SJSchmidt93: the thing is, I don't think anything UGO could have offered him would have made him stay.  I mean, he's now Editorial Director of Shacknews and the rest of Gamefly's editorial divisions; that puts him in the exact same position John Davidson was in before he left and give him the opportunity to really change the editorial process and kind of stories we see out of these sites.  That's quite a opportunity, doncha think?
Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Gabriel

Wow, 1up was one of my favorite podcacsts since Garnett is gone, John will probably quit doing it which means....Fuck that.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I like Garnett's written work, but he got annoying on 1UPYours / ListenUP.  Mr. Davison is the best part of that podcast.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By Whisperkill

I never really like him, he's such a kissass, he never feels too strongly one way or the other. A little bit of a bitch in my opinion. 

I still like the podcast overall though, even though it kind of died after Shane left.
Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Peanut

I feel Listen Up has sucked since it's inception. It's hard to believe that while I worked my awful job last year, 1up Yours and GFW Radio kept me from losing my mind. I truly felt that Yours died when Shane left, now there's nothing left. I'm sure Garnett's departure will mean John never shows up again, who do they have left with personality at 1up that can fit into that spot? Anyone worth listening to is on Retronauts.

I guess the only game podcast I have left is the Bombcast. Good old, stable, Giant Bomb.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AndrewB

Holy crap. This is coming out of nowhere for me! Great news for Garnett!

The downside is that I'll be devastated if ListenUP! goes under. I'll have one less podcast to listen to from an ever-shortening list. Might head over to the WhatTheyPlay podcast for some John Davison.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By iamjohn
@AndrewB said:
" Holy crap. This is coming out of nowhere for me! Great news for Garnett!  The downside is that I'll be devastated if ListenUP! goes under. I'll have one less podcast to listen to from an ever-shortening list. "
Be devastated.  The entire reason Listen UP stayed around, whether you liked it or not, is because it was Garnett's show.  He and Skip were the lifeblood of the show, and they're not going to go forward without him.  Maybe 1UP will try something new, but it certainly won't be called Listen UP.
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AndrewB
@iAmJohn: Well, I also doubt the show will continue, but according to the Joystiq updated posting, Garnett is trying to plan out another podcast. I just hope John joins him on that one, too. I'm sure he will.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By iamjohn
@AndrewB said:
" @iAmJohn: Well, I also doubt the show will continue, but according to the Joystiq updated posting, Garnett is trying to plan out another podcast. I just hope John joins him on that one, too. I'm sure he will. "
I think it all depends on where Shacknews is based.  Skip Pfister mentioned in the GAF thread that he was helping Garnett move, which implies that Shacknews might be based in L.A. (which is where Gamefly is).  So if that's the case, I'd imagine that John will be an unfortunately rare occurrence.  But if he's going to be in L.A., maybe that means Shane and the G4 guys will be on a bunch!
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AndrewB
@iAmJohn: There's always skype, or other long-distance options, but yeah, you're probably right that he'll be on less-often, if at all : \.

Grrr... I hate change!
sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By sgjackson

Well shit, there goes one of my main reasons to visit 1up. While Garnett's opinions are definitely out there, he was a very competent host and was the lifeblood of that show, along with John Davison. If there isn't a podcast on 1up with those guys hosting, pretty much the only content I care about there is Retronauts, and that gets updated so sporadically now I'm not sure I can be arsed to care. I'll probably check out what they do to replace Listen UP, but unless they really think outside the box and get some fresh blood on the new show I can't imagine I'll go there much longer.

Dauragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Dauragon

Well im gonna go weep myself to sleep now

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Cheapoz

Wow, 1UP still sinking huh. 

Garnett was the only reason I was still listening to Listen Up, I don't always like listening to him but he's a good front man. Hmm... Giant Bombcast will be my only gaming podcast...