#1 Posted by Aegon (5405 posts) -

So lately it's come to my attention that one of the reasons Anime Vice isn't prospering  as well as the rest of the WM family is that the forums are kind of stale. Not a lot of normal discussion going on. So, who is willing to start discussing anime, get this, ON ANIME VICE? Or maybe when the community is big enough we can post some off-topic threads in there as well. Sign here if you want to make this happen. Obviously this won't force you to do it, but one of my psychology classes taught that a person is more likely to do something if they directly say that they will do it.  

#2 Posted by Alphazero (1535 posts) -

Anime is for people that like anime.

#3 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

I don't think this will work.

#4 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

There are other forums?

#5 Edited by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Yah, the forums are the reason Anime Vice is dieing not the lack of funding, or the lack of community, or the figure heads of giantbomb undermining there own sister company every time anime is brought up by very in factly stating that "anime is for jerks," no its the forums

#6 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Nope.

#7 Edited by FaTD (42 posts) -

Your attempt is noble and brave, but I'm afraid that may be futile in this community. ;)

Although I'm not that big of an anime-guy I would love to talk with someone about the GANTZ anime (one of my guilty pleasures), so if thats an option, sing me up!

#8 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I am quite partial to the odd bit of anime.

When it involves Chie punting TANKS.

#9 Posted by Aegon (5405 posts) -
@Dagbiker said:

Yah, the forums are the reason Anime Vice is dieing not the lack of funding, or the lack of community, or the figure heads of giantbomb undermining there own sister company every time anime is brought up by very in factly stating that "anime is for jerks," no its the forums

@H2Oyea said:
 one of the reasons 
#10 Posted by Danteveli (1163 posts) -

I would like to help but I think it would be really hard. I went there and all I could see was this Naruto character vs other one.  If you create interesting thread you have my posts there.

Online
#11 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

I'm disappointed. I totally thought this thread was going to be about how Anime Vice members had enough of being the rejects of the Whiskey Media family and they were doing something about it. 
 
I like anime, but I don't watch enough to discuss much. Also, I'm not into the big series like One Piece, Bleach or Naruto because they're too damn long and impossible to get into.

#12 Posted by Aetheldod (3513 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Aww come on is not like you can watch the first episodes , also the firts Naruto you can stop watching at ep 100 , more or less the rest are just filler

#13 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

@LunarAura said:

There are other forums?

this, every thread is Goku vs other character. i would love to discuss somthing other than the big 3

#14 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@Aetheldod said:

@FluxWaveZ: Aww come on is not like you can watch the first episodes , also the firts Naruto you can stop watching at ep 100 , more or less the rest are just filler

Yeah, I had actually watched the series until the load of fillers that occurred right before Shippuden. So I guess I could start at Shippuden right now and not be lost if I wanted to, but keeping up is a hassle, even though I'd be somewhat intrigued of seeing the kids all grown up and following the continuing adventures of Emo Sasuke.
#15 Posted by Bocam (3672 posts) -

Anime vice sucks as the articles written there are only about licensed anime. I want the magic of Madoka Magica to spread across the globe.

#16 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -

I like it when they turn super saiyan.

#17 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

I don't understand why Comic Vine, a site based on a medium extremely similar to anime/manga, prospers while Anime Vice is restricted to being only community driven. A couple of awesome personalities who like anime making video content and weekly podcasts for it would make it so much better. Oh well.

#18 Posted by Aegon (5405 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
I don't understand why Comic Vine, a site based on a medium extremely similar to anime/manga, prospers while Anime Vice is restricted to being only community driven. A couple of awesome personalities who like anime making video content and weekly podcasts for it would make it so much better. Oh well.
Yeah. Tom can't do it all on his own with a lower budget to boot. 
#19 Posted by believer258 (11663 posts) -

You could always find an anime-centric forum to go to. 
 
Or, if you must mingle your gaming and anime, the Escapist has a fair number of anime threads popping up every now and then. 
 
Quick hint: Giantbomb isn't really the place to discuss anime...

#20 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@rebgav said: 

...and also the fact that they haven't been able to find a grown-up professional type willing to spend their workdays writing about Japanese cartoons.

Yet they can find grown-up professional types willing to spend their workdays writing about video games and American cartoons? Come on now. Especially given the fact that "professional" doesn't befit the persona of the Giant Bomb staff all that much.
#21 Posted by Turambar (6677 posts) -

@Bocam said:

Anime vice sucks as the articles written there are only about licensed anime. I want the magic of Madoka Magica to spread across the globe.

That's why community written articles exist. Go ahead start a thread on Madoka yourself.

On topic, I do plan on actually doing something other than criticizing AV's lack of direction content wise for once while I still have the time during this vacation. One article posted, another one should be up at the end of the night though god knows how long my relatively uncreative mind can keep that up. Though being much more of a mecha fan, my write ups are obviously going to have a limited scope in terms of audience. If people have something about a show they want to say, go ahead and start a thread yourself.

#22 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@believer258 said:
Quick hint: Giantbomb isn't really the place to discuss anime...
Why not? We've had plenty of great anime discussion threads.
#23 Posted by Turambar (6677 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

I'm disappointed. I totally thought this thread was going to be about how Anime Vice members had enough of being the rejects of the Whiskey Media family and they were doing something about it. I like anime, but I don't watch enough to discuss much. Also, I'm not into the big series like One Piece, Bleach or Naruto because they're too damn long and impossible to get into.

FoxxFireArt actually did post those to 10 Wiki Contributers of WM articles on each of the WM sites, with a bit of personal editorial on staff neglect of AV. Though he also made said thread in the middle of the night on a weekday, so they got buried pretty quickly.

#24 Posted by Bocam (3672 posts) -

@Turambar: But I'm lazy and the forums there are scary

#25 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@Turambar: The thread in question got bumped recently.
#26 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

@H2Oyea: I'd totally be down, I still watch a lot of the anime that is released, even if some of it isn't all that great. I went there a few days ago and looked at the forum and all I saw was the "RPG" forum on the main page... It's not what I thought it was.

#27 Posted by Turambar (6677 posts) -

@believer258 said:

You could always find an anime-centric forum to go to. Or, if you must mingle your gaming and anime, the Escapist has a fair number of anime threads popping up every now and then. Quick hint: Giantbomb isn't really the place to discuss anime...

Actually, the irony is I can make a thread on GB and get more responses about said show than I can if I made the same thread on AV. That's one of the biggest problems AV's community has that's keeping away people that actually want to discuss the medium like me: they simply don't seem interested in the shows themselves, and are more content with just the RP and Battle sub-forums.

#28 Posted by Bocam (3672 posts) -

@Turambar said:

and are more content with just the RP and Battle sub-forums.

Exactly

#29 Posted by RE_Player1 (7550 posts) -

I tried to get into AnimeVice and I have taken a lot from it, I wouldn't have discovered one of my favorite anime series Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood without it, but I'm not into anime on a regular basis like games. I probably watch an anime series, that is short with like 50 episodes max none of that Naruto or Bleach 100+ episodes bullshit, every 6 or 8 months and that is all. Maybe I'll get back into it but not likely in the coming months.

#30 Posted by Bocam (3672 posts) -

@RE_Player92: There's another Fullmetal Alchemist anime. It's much better then Brotherhood as it has Magical Hitler

#31 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I think I am too much into anime for my own good.

#32 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@believer258 said:
Quick hint: Giantbomb isn't really the place to discuss anime...
Why not? We've had plenty of great anime discussion threads.

True, I rather talk about anime on here, better discussions to be had. I don't like Anime Vice.

@RE_Player92 said:

but I'm not into anime on a regular basis like games. I probably watch an anime series, that is short with like 50 episodes max none of that Naruto or Bleach 100+ episodes bullshit, every 6 or 8 months and that is all. Maybe I'll get back into it but not likely in the coming months.

Also I side with this thinking.

#33 Posted by RE_Player1 (7550 posts) -
@Bocam You talking about the original series not based on the manga? I bought the whole thing and loved it up to a point... than I fucking hated it. Didn't even bother with the movies because of how shit the plot got.
#34 Posted by Bocam (3672 posts) -

@Cloudenvy: Do you have a waifu (Think Jeff's love of Chie)? If not, you're just a beginner.

#35 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Maybe if they got a more active user base, i just might be inclined to go there and post some. Same goes for Screened.

#36 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Cloudenvy said:
I think I am too much into anime for my own good.
Impossible.
Well, once I started following Japanese TV ratings I felt like I might've gone too far.
 
@Bocam
said:

@Cloudenvy: Do you have a waifu (Think Jeff's love of Chie)? If not, you're just a beginner.

I do. 
  
Trust me, I'm not a rookie at this stuff ; )
#37 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@Cloudenvy said:
I think I am too much into anime for my own good.
Impossible.
#38 Posted by Bocam (3672 posts) -

@RE_Player92: I'm talking about the movie. It was so fucking stupid, which made it so good.

#39 Posted by Matoya (416 posts) -

I really like anime. A lot, actually. It's just the forum is really really bad. It seems like save for a very few people, nobody can seem to form a real sentence. And the people who aren't like that seem very pretentious about how they enjoy their medium. I'd enjoy the forum if it wasn't so horribly dead.

#40 Edited by Turambar (6677 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: That's good to see at least then.

@Bocam said:

@Turambar said:

and are more content with just the RP and Battle sub-forums.

Exactly

The blame on that goes three ways though.

First, WM is at fault partly because of the lack of editorial support. Writing for AV is different than writing for any of the other sites since you are limited largely to licensed shows review wise, but more personal blog type formats from a small (as in not one man in LA) can do well to stir up enthusiast discussions on shows themselves.

Second, the community itself that seems disinterested as previously posted. Full disclosure, my first blog on AV is a port of the 08th MS Team one I wrote up on here. I got 20-30 responses from it on GB. So far, the AV community has given me two response posts. That's a problem the community itself needs to address.

Third, its people like me. People who watches a lot of anime and likes to discuss and write about it, but looks at the state of AV and decides to avoid it. That only helps perpetuate the problem.

I have no idea how to solve problems one and two. I don't have the ability to tell the WM staff how to run their company and I can't mind control forum goers through the internet. But if we can get maybe a few more people trying to address problem three, maybe we can stir up some more interest on the site.

#41 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

There are a lot of anime based on games and vice versa so I don´t think it can´t be done , sadly  I have particular tastes in Anime when I used to watch them and the last one I watched was Death Note so while I will like to I don´t think I can contribute to your cause.

#42 Posted by Bocam (3672 posts) -

@Cloudenvy: Is it Nadeko? Mine is Charlotte

#43 Posted by JJOR64 (18911 posts) -

Going to say this now. Why in the holy mother of fuck was this thread made? This thread is just going to create more hate for Anime Vice.

#44 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -
@Turambar said: 

Third, its people like me. People who watches a lot of anime and likes to discuss and write about it, but looks at the state of AV and decides to avoid it. 

This kind of sums up my feelings about AnimeVice. 
#45 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@Turambar: I think expanding the community lies solely on WM shoulders, and not anime enthusiasts. If good content comes from the site, then people will come. The Endurance Run on GB, for example, had an important impact on the site's recognition and made several members join and stay for content such as Quick Looks. It's not up to us to go to a dying forum and try to revive it (I don't deny it would help a bit).
#46 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -
@Bocam said:

@Cloudenvy: Is it Nadeko? Mine is Charlotte

Haha, Infinite Stratos, eh? a fan of that show or just of Charlotte? 
  
Holo from Spice & Wolf is mine, not entirely original I know but hey..What can you do? : )
#47 Posted by Turambar (6677 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

There are a lot of anime based on games and vice versa so I don´t think it can´t be done , sadly I have particular tastes in Anime when I used to watch them and the last one I watched was Death Note so while I will like to I don´t think I can contribute to your cause.

I don't think you need to watch the most recent of shows to have a view point worth discussing. If you find a show interesting, and can articulate it in words, go ahead and throw up a thread on it, even if said show is over a decade old.

#48 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -

Who's Anime? Why are their vices revolving?

#49 Posted by Bocam (3672 posts) -

@Turambar said:

Writing for AV is different than writing for any of the other sites since you are limited largely to licensed shows review wise, but more personal blog type formats from a small (as in not one man in LA) can do well to stir up enthusiast discussions on shows themselves.

Why are they only limited to licensed shows? Other then Tom not really knowing how to acquire them . Other anime sites write reviews on currently airing shows all the time.

#50 Posted by ZombiePie (5587 posts) -

I was given Guest Author status on Anime Vice...which reminds me I need to think of something to write about soon.

Moderator