Have you listened to the BonusEXP podcast, and if not, why?

• 56 results
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Diamond
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Diamond

I've been trying to judge the Giant Bomb community's stance on our podcast to help decide on future endeavors.  Our podcast is at BonusEXP but I've made weekly threads about it.  Here is the latest week's thread.

It dawns upon me that I'll have to vote for something to see the results, heh.  Oh well.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By No0b0rAmA

No time! Maybe I'll give it a listen while on the bus.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Alex_V

Haven't had time - too busy filling in meaningless polls.

Avatar image for the_philosopher
The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By The_Philosopher
@Diamond: I'll give it a listen right now.
grhud5194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By grhud5194

I listened to episode 15, and liked it.  Afterward, I really appreciated the PM you sent me when the new one was posted, but I just didn't have time to listen, sorry.  I'll try to listen again soon.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By blackbird415

oh wow, didnt know it exsisted. Im listening to it now :) 

Sounds pretty good so far though I would suggest pop screens to some extent, not required, but eventually go for the pop screens and higher end mics and what not. Idk I understand the use of normal mics, just a suggestion over time 

pop screens 

podcasting mic.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Fallen189

D: Nothing personal, I just don't really dig podcasts made by random people I don't know.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By trophyhunter

No, I don't listen to community podcasts 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By KaosAngel

I have 2 hours worth of train commute 4 days a week. 

2 hours for 4 days is 8 hours a week of podcast times. 

I have a daily cast of MSNBC Morning Joe, MSNBC Keith Oberman, and MSNBC Rachael Maddow.  Then I have the NBC Today Show, the NBC Nighty News (which I sometimes watch the night of), and then CNN Anderson Cooper. 

Then Tuesday I get 4 hours worth of podcasts from CAG, Hotspot, and Bombcast. 

I have a limited time to seriously listen to them...and I normally listen to the hard news first...and then Bombcast, then CAG...for me it's an issue of time.  If my train commute was longer, it'd be way easier.

Avatar image for the_philosopher
The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By The_Philosopher
@Diamond: I'm like 10 minutes in and I'm enjoying it. Keep up the good work man.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By Tireyo

It's C for me.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't have anything that I can't get from the Bombcast, Rebel FM or Gamespy Debriefings.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By sodiumCyclops

It would be awesome to get feed back on each of us indivually too :)

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iamjohn

What is BonusEXP?

Avatar image for relentlessknight
RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#16  Edited By RelentlessKnight

it's D for me

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Diamond
@No0b0rAmA:  Thanks, I hope you give us a chance.
@Alex_V:  Well, I don't know if you're referring to this one, but it's meaningful to us BonusEXPers.  Also it may be useful to other community podcast makers to see what portion of Giant Bomb's community doesn't listen to community podcasts at all.
@blackbird415:  Yea, we're definitely going to upgrade our mics over time.  The popping on my own headset drives me nuts.
@Fallen189:  @RelentlessKnight:  That's understandable, it's pretty much the core of listening to any podcast seemingly.  Even if you don't know Jeff Gerstmann personally, you know what he's about.  That's only something a community podcast can fix over time.
@Tireyo643:  No it isn't.  It's A.  Even if you can't listen lately.
@Manhattan_Project:  All anyone can really offer is their different perspectives if they're talking about the same subject.  I can definitely understand the appreciation of podcasters who have been doing it for much longer, those that might have better performance, or better presentation.  All BonusEXP can hope to do is improve over time.
@iAmJohn:  It's what you get when a MMO or FPS maker gives you extra EXP.
monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By monetarydread

Yes I have. I haven't listened to too much, just episodes #20 and #21, but I enjoy it.

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sjosz

I have listened to the most recent (22) episode of it to give it a try, but did not find the voices very enjoyable to listen to. 
That said, the bombcast is the only podcast I actually enjoy listening to, others (Destructoid, Kotaku, Joystiq, Gamespot) all got a go but were boring, annoying or just had poor people for radio-voices on them.
EDIT: Your stuff is actual, which is a good thing. For me the people on the podcast are just unknown in the sense that I cannot place your opinions and compare them to my own, by and large. I realize that I would have to listen to all of your work for it to become a coherent/relatable experience, but I am just not a fan of the voices to do that. Good on you that you have a podcast though.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By blackbird415
@Diamond:
The podcast is fantastic so far. Its sort of in between what the hotspot (gamespot's podcast) was over 2 and a half years ago (that podcast is only getting worse every time I listen to it now) and cag foreplay on cheapass gamer.com, but still with your own sort of personalities of course.  

Theres more than likely there are podcasts that can relate closer, but those are ones I find some relations to.  

Idk, maybe im off on that, but its a really good podcast keep up the great work :)
OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By OldManLight

sorry bro, takes me the majority of the week listening to the bombcast and talkradar stop and go style while taking calls at work.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bonus what now?

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sodiumCyclops

It would be nice to know which sections of our podcast people find most enjoyable.

We roughly have 3 sections with the exception of a 4th when we recieve emails.

1. What we played during the week.

2. News of the week.

3. Casual Discussion.

4. ~emails.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By FluxWaveZ

G. Too lazy to download it and I'm not one for community podcasts.  It's one of the reasons I stopped listening to NoobToob: I like listening to people with more insight into the industry than "normal" people with opinions such as myself.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@Fallen189 said:
" D: Nothing personal, I just don't really dig podcasts made by random people I don't know. "
Ditto.
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By GunstarRed

I listened to about half of one once. There was a lot of talk about SC2 and WoW so I switched it off.. just not the kind of games I enjoy hearing people talk about. I would probably give it another shot if I saw the thread on the front page or something and I really needed something to listen to.
Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Liminality

I really like it, I was waiting for the bombcast so I decided to try this one. Added it to the bookmark.

Helushune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Helushune

Didn't know it existed but I'm not horribly active around here in checking the forums.  If it's on the Zune marketplace I'll subscribe and give it a go at work tomorrow.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By Claude

I listened to one, but I don't really like podcasts. I rarely listen to the Bombcast.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@Claude said:
" I listened to one, but I don't really like podcasts. I rarely listen to the Bombcast. "
This!
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CL60

I listened to it once, and that's only because it mentioned my video, haha.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sodiumCyclops
@Helushune said:
" Didn't know it existed but I'm not horribly active around here in checking the forums.  If it's on the Zune marketplace I'll subscribe and give it a go at work tomorrow. "
I have been looking to put it up on the Zune marketplace. I will get back to you once I look into it.
napalmtrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By napalmtrees
@sodiumCyclops said:
" @Helushune said:
" Didn't know it existed but I'm not horribly active around here in checking the forums.  If it's on the Zune marketplace I'll subscribe and give it a go at work tomorrow. "
I have been looking to put it up on the Zune marketplace. I will get back to you once I look into it. "
Does Zune still not have the ability to subscribe to podcasts by URL?  Man, I am so glad I got rid of mine.
whitesox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By whitesox

I was unaware it existed.  I'll listen and post feedback in the thread you provided.

Helushune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Helushune
@napalmtrees said:
" @sodiumCyclops said:

I have been looking to put it up on the Zune marketplace. I will get back to you once I look into it. "
Does Zune still not have the ability to subscribe to podcasts by URL?  Man, I am so glad I got rid of mine. "
No, it does.  But it's pretty finicky and loves to tell you the RSS feed is corrupt when anything goes wrong.
bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bhhawks78

Never heard of it, randomly making a thread about it on another podcast's sites forums just makes my initial impression of you negative as well.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Diamond
@Sjosz:  That's fine.  I'm not sure we'll ever have more interesting voices, but perhaps with time we'll learn to present ourselves more interestingly.
@The_Philosopher:@MonetaryDread:  @blackbird415:  @Liminality: Glad to hear it.
@FluxWaveZ:  It may end up not being worth your time, but you might be pleasantly surprised.  Some of us guys post enough on Giant Bomb that it may give you some insight into what insights we may have.
@Everyones_A_Critic:  Hi, I'm Andy.
@marioncobretti:  Currently we probably spend a good 1/3rd of each cast just talking about the newest stuff usually on 360, PS3, and PC.  We're open to suggestions as far as games coverage, but for now we are just some dudes recording our gaming experiences.
@bhhawks78:  Well we're very much inspired by the GiantBombcast and we're mostly a Giant Bomb community podcast.  If it wasn't for Giant Bomb we wouldn't even be making BonusEXP, that's for sure.  We're not making any money off the site, we'd just like to improve our own skills in journalism.  The only thing I personally desire that I can only get through making threads about it on other communities is the critiques that only other listeners can deliver.

I want to express my gratitude to all of those who have voted and replied.  This is the sort of feedback I have been dreaming of for months.
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By I_smell
@Diamond: There used to be another podcast called Bonus EXP that would start with the phrase "Serious but not humourless discussion about video games" or something- Is this that? Cos I used to listen to that. I started listening when they both played Gears 2 together.
I stopped listening when I realised it wasn't that smart at all. Like "serious discussion" basically boiled down to
"Are games art?"
"I think they are because they give me feelings."
"Agreed! Why is no other podcast hitting these crucial topics? I like Braid and Flower n shit!"

So yeah I thought it was super boring.
Also it's September 12th and you're talkin about how Far Cry 2 has pretty good fire.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Diamond
@I_smell:  I'm not aware of the complete history of every podcast with the name BonusEXP.  I wasn't a part of any podcast until earlier this year.  Anyways, we wouldn't make such comments as those on our podcast.  If we did it would be in an ironic sense.

We prefer not to limit ourselves to the very latest games discussion, especially in the case of a game we've never discussed on the podcast before.  I talked about Final Fantasy Tactics and that game is older still.  It was a light gaming news week, but we'll always try to follow natural discussion to an extent.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40  Edited By crusader8463

No matter how I word I sound like a dick head, but honestly I just don't care what some random guys on the internet think. Unless I have some reason to care about your opinion, or you are in some important position, I'm not going to go out of my way to listen to it, and even if you did meet some of the previous criteria it doesn't mean I will listen ether. I just don't care, and I don't think there is much of anything you guys could do to make me want to waste my time listening to it when I could be wasting my time doing other things I enjoy wasting my time on a lot more.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Diamond
@crusader8463:  No, I think that's an understandable sentiment.  The only thing we could ever do is impress people with our understanding or ideas over time.  Giant Bomb is one of a handful of gaming communities where most of the community is about as informed on every gaming subject as they could ever wish to be.

Personally I only ever listen to podcasts while also doing some other activity, like sitting on the can or playing a videogame.
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By I_smell

Oh okay. 
Well that other podcast with the same name sucked.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Diamond
@I_smell:  Could have been related, I know David (Hirashin) tried to run a former version of BonusEXP with a different crew, but it failed quickly.  I don't know if they ever recorded a podcast.
zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By zidane_24

Honestly? I can only take so many gaming podcasts. Everyone's going to talk about the same news. I get enough of that between the Bombcast and the podcasts by people that I know personally. 

That, and it takes me enough time to get through those that the new ones are usually out by the time I'm caught up.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By I_smell
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#46  Edited By Vinchenzo

I don't listen to community podcasts. Why? Simply because I don't care about what they have to say. I don't know who these people are, and they're never funny. 

I've been listening to 4 minutes, and maybe I'll listen another 10 minutes while I'm bored, but here's what I think... 

• Sound quality is good.
  • You guys sound normal, and not like a group of douchebags.
  • Seem pretty cool.

However I still don't care what you have to say. Nothing personal.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#47  Edited By Tireyo
@Diamond: Yep. = - P
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Xeiphyer
@blackbird415 said:
" oh wow, didnt know it exsisted. Im listening to it now :) 

Sounds pretty good so far though I would suggest pop screens to some extent, not required, but eventually go for the pop screens and higher end mics and what not. Idk I understand the use of normal mics, just a suggestion over time 

pop screens 

podcasting mic. "
These two things are definitely needed, especially pop screens since you can make them for next to nothing and they make a big difference.

Gotta love Tested.com, so many great articles.
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By luce

Where is the "I hate Diamond" option

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Diamond
@I_smell:  listened to some of their latest podcast, honestly I thought they seemed OK, but maybe they were spending too much hanging around stuff everyone knows.
@Vinchenzo:  Well we'll definitely not be funny very often.  We don't try to be funny, but if something funny happens it happens.  Maybe if we somehow reach Giant Bomb or Penny Arcade's skill in comedic delivery we'd focus more on that.  Otherwise we can only do what anyone else would do in creating a podcast.  I just dislike forced humor.
@luce:  It's the last one but you have to post your reason.