Introversion and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Year

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff
Concept art for Chronometer, an Introversion game that never was.
2008 wasn't a great year for a lot of people, and the folks at indie developer Introversion--creators of the absolutely brilliant DEFCON--were among the afflicted. A bigger operation, particularly a publicly held one, might try to whitewash some of the financial misfortunes a company had suffered. Introversion cofounder, lead designer, and lead developer Chris Delay opted instead for a bracing level of transparency, providing a detailed, three-partaccount of how this tiny, idealistic UK developer came to the brink of oblivion last year. 

I don't want to spoil too much here, because it's a riveting read, thanks largely to Delay's frank tone and the critical eye he turns towards both himself and Introversion. He never tries to shift blame for the bad decisions and unforeseen pitfalls that put the developer in such dire straits, which is a remarkably rare and difficult thing to do. It is, as Delay himself describes, an "increasingly depressing" story, but the good news is that Introversion is still around in 2009, and Delay seems to be of the mindset that things can only get better from here. Let's hope that's true.
Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff
2008 wasn't a great year for a lot of people, and the folks at indie developer Introversion--creators of the absolutely brilliant DEFCON--were among the afflicted. A bigger operation, particularly a publicly held one, might try to whitewash some of the financial misfortunes a company had suffered. Introversion cofounder, lead designer, and lead developer Chris Delay opted instead for a bracing level of transparency, providing a detailed, three-partaccount of how this tiny, idealistic UK developer came to the brink of oblivion last year. 

I don't want to spoil too much here, because it's a riveting read, thanks largely to Delay's frank tone and the critical eye he turns towards both himself and Introversion. He never tries to shift blame for the bad decisions and unforeseen pitfalls that put the developer in such dire straits, which is a remarkably rare and difficult thing to do. It is, as Delay himself describes, an "increasingly depressing" story, but the good news is that Introversion is still around in 2009, and Delay seems to be of the mindset that things can only get better from here. Let's hope that's true.
ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#2  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Depressing, but I'm glad they're still afloat

Just finished reading it.  Thanks for posting this, Ryan.  Here's hoping the find a publisher for Defcon DS.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

It seems that they lost focus. I was very disappointed in Multiwinia. It's their most conventional title, and not all that great, though I'm not much of a RTS gamer. I loved Darwinia and DEFCON though. I hope DEFCON DS gets out the door and sells ok, but it's a very strange fit unless they manage to offer some kind of single player mode. I don't see a market for multiplayer only titles of this sort on the DS, but you never know. I hope Subversion helps them get their indie soul back, it's promising stuff. I'd love to see an Uplink sequel, all the other hacking "sims" don't do.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I love introversion. The guys seem like a great bunch of dudes. I hope they keep things together and keep developing awesome games.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#5  Edited By LordAndrew

Damn, that was a depressing read. But luckily they managed to pull through, and hopefully they'll be able to find a publisher for DEFCON DS.

sketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sketch

Introversion will always have my heart (and money). 

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By mattbodega

I thought Defcom was sublime. One of the most atmospheric games I've ever played. Profoundly creepy.
That blog entry is really wonderful.....in the sad, depressing way. The most interesting insight Delay has. I thought, was that, in their drive to release a ton of interesting products, they became the lumbering, slow beasts of burden that had drove them into indie development in the first place, and they "should" have been part of the "indie game revolution" with Braid and World of Goo.

Johanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Johanz

Let's hope that alot of people buy their old (and new!) games. I really dig their concepts and general style when it comes to games, fresh and different!

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Introversion make great games, I can't wait until Darwinia comes to XBLA.  I'll have to give that article a read, I find that sort of stuff really interesting.

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Sunjammer

I thought the whole Darwinia thread of games were the most boring things Introversion ever put out. I just could not make myself care about that world or that gameplay. Compared to something truly off the wall and amazingly individual as Defcon or Uplink, you have to wonder what exactly was going on there. Defcon should see an XBLA release, not Darwinia. Uplink should see a multiplayer update, not Darwinia.

Sigh.

Introversion are among my heroes. They do sound, art and concept in ways that simply aren't challenged by any contenders these days. Every time they announce a new project (albeit rarely) i become a little happier being a PC gamer.

Serker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Serker

Multiwinia definately didn't seem like it was on par with their other releases. DEFCON was just... so good...

Ill give these guys as many chances as they need though. They've earned my money for years to come.

digital_sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By digital_sin

Wow, that was a really intense read. And I thought I had it bad last year... damn.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A bizarre reference, sir.

No Caption Provided

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By TomA

yay i love tha book

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jimbo

Very interesting read.  My take on it is that they need to realise cool gimmicks are only cool for so long.  My initial reaction to Darwinia was "Kwl! Retro!", as they intended and I bought it.  My reaction to Multiwinia was "I get it already."  I would no more buy Multiwinia than I would buy a multiplayer version of World of Goo in 12 months time.

If they are really pinning their hopes on Darwinia again, then I think they're done.  No amount of currying favour (geddit?!) with the UK print press is going to generate the momentum they need globally to make Darwinia sell on 360, especially so long after the PC release.

They should bite the bullet, lay off whoever they need to lay off and get one of their new projects out the door.

DefconDS is, was and always will be a terrible idea.

Lewis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lewis

best insight into the trials and tribulations of game development i've read, hope they rise again, they've already made some really original games and subversion looks really interesting, thanks for the link ryan

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By LaszloKovacs

These guys have some really great ideas, and I'd hate to see them close down. Here's hoping their Xbox and DS projects perform well.

AllanIceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By AllanIceman

Great read.  Love Defcon.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Al3xand3r

When did Introversion start to expand the same game with minor variations? My problem with Multiwinia was it was nothing like Darwinia personally. They did kinda have a no sequels policy. But even if it was so similar, it's only their second similar game and they didn't plan for more of it in the future. And when did Introversion spend millions in a game? It seems that you're saying it's a typical story for all the wrong reasons.

dannyodwyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By dannyodwyer  Staff

Great read.

ElectricHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By ElectricHaggis

I hope Defcon does come to the DS; I never got a chance to play it the first time around.

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By gbrading

Introversion Software have to be my favourite games designer. I loved DEFCON and thought Darwinia was excellent. Multiwinia was rather lacklustre, but I'm sure it's a blip. A shame that Chronometer completely fell apart; I certainly hope they have better luck with Subversion.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#24  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

You know, ElectricHaggis has a point.  DEFCON would make a stellar DS game.  I loved it on the PC and would definitely buy it for a portable system.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25  Edited By Geno

Introversion made a lot of really good games and I thought they sold decently well too, this is quite unexpected.

Wrect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Wrect

Perhaps Chris Delay should consider moving to Australia?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Al3xand3r
ElectricHaggis said:
"I never got a chance to play it the first time around."
It's still available to buy here or via Steam, what "first time around" ? Actually, it's cheaper on Steam so go for that, weird >_>
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Scooper

I bought Multiwinia but never got around to playing it...

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Media_Master

yup.