POLL - Legalization of marijuana? Opinions?

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#201  Edited By Whisperkill

It itself isnt that bad, but it is true that it's a gateway drug, Ive seen plenty of people who used to smoke it start doing some hardcore drugs.
JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#202  Edited By JokerClown88

I think that we should keep it illegal.  I mean if we legalize marijuana, what do we legalize next?  Crack?  Herroin?
Amorfati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#203  Edited By Amorfati
@Whisperkill said:
" It itself isnt that bad, but it is true that it's a gateway drug, Ive seen plenty of people who used to smoke it start doing some hardcore drugs. "
1: Person A smoked weed. 
2: Person A now does heroin. 
3: 1 caused 2.

This is faulty logic. I take a shit and then I have a shower, that does not mean that taking a shit causes me to have a shower.

@JokerClown88 said:
" I think that we should keep it illegal.  I mean if we legalize marijuana, what do we legalize next?  Crack?  Herroin? "
Crack and heroin are independent of cannabis.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#204  Edited By Suicrat
@Amorfati: You're not going to be able to successfully use logic on a person who thinks "Well, if we expand liberty, won't we have to keep expanding it? And that's bad, right?" Simply put, this is a person who cherishes the status quo, and no amount of argumentation will change his position.
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By Whisperkill
@Amorfati said:
" @Whisperkill said:
" It itself isnt that bad, but it is true that it's a gateway drug, Ive seen plenty of people who used to smoke it start doing some hardcore drugs. "

This is faulty logic. I take a shit and then I have a shower, that does not mean that taking a shit causes me to have a shower.

No, those are two completely different things. Someone smokes weed on a semi regular basis. That person gets bored of it and wants an even stronger high... because that's what your body does, it becomes resistant to effects. Then that person looks for harder, more addicting drugs. Its the sterotypical plunge into madness. Have you ever seen Requiem for a Dream!?
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By Suicrat
@Whisperkill said:
" @Amorfati said:
" @Whisperkill said:

No, those are two completely different things. Someone smokes weed on a semi regular basis. That person gets bored of it and wants an even stronger high... because that's what your body does, it becomes resistant to effects. Then that person looks for harder, more addicting drugs. Its the sterotypical plunge into madness. Have you ever seen Requiem for a Dream!? "
A shitty movie is not an argument in favour of putting people in jail for making choices you wouldn't make.

(See what I mean, Amorfati? Logic doesn't matter to this person or their argument.)
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Whisperkill
@Suicrat said:
" @Whisperkill said:
" @Amorfati said:
" @Whisperkill said:

No, those are two completely different things. Someone smokes weed on a semi regular basis. That person gets bored of it and wants an even stronger high... because that's what your body does, it becomes resistant to effects. Then that person looks for harder, more addicting drugs. Its the sterotypical plunge into madness. Have you ever seen Requiem for a Dream!? "
A shitty movie is not an argument in favour of putting people in jail for making choices you wouldn't make.  (See what I mean, Amorfati? Logic doesn't matter to this person or their argument.) "

Alright, youre just an idiot, I wasnt even the person arguing about liberties and legalizing other drugs... 

and the movie is just an example of how people fall down a slippery slope of drugs, It happens all the time I KNOW PEOPLE WHOM HAVE DONE IT.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By Suicrat
@Whisperkill: It's wonderful that the way you wish to help those people is by incarcerating them. I grew up in a neighbourhood full of crackheads, in a city where people caught selling and smoking it are thrown in jail, and guess what: people still smoke crack! Criminalizing personal choice will not solve the problem of people making poor choices for themselves.

And no, I'm not an idiot. You haven't presented any evidence to make such a claim.
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By Whisperkill
@Suicrat said:
" @Whisperkill: It's wonderful that the way you wish to help those people is by incarcerating them. I grew up in a neighbourhood full of crackheads, in a city where people caught selling and smoking it are thrown in jail, and guess what: people still smoke crack! Criminalizing personal choice will not solve the problem of people making poor choices for themselves. And no, I'm not an idiot. You haven't presented any evidence to make such a claim. "

What the hell are you talking about? I haven't mentioned anything about people getting put in jail, all I said is that marijuana leads to other drugs... which it does and I don't think I need to present evidence of that.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#210  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

It should be legal in homes, and certain establishments with a heavy tax just like tobacco.

I am personally deathly allergic to THC that which is found in Pot, so it being smoked willy nilly isn't okay, Outside is fine i've been around folks that have smoked pot but it was outside and it didn't not affect me, only within confined areas is it a problem, or if i were to smoke it my self.
Its much the same with tobacco my nephew is allergic to it and i try to smoke around him as little as possible.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Suicrat
@Whisperkill: 
You justified someone else's argument against legalization of marijuana by presenting the fallacious "gateway" argument. And no, you haven't really provided any real evidence of the gateway phenomenon. You presented anecdotal evidence, and then invoked a Hollywood movie, neither of which are proof of either of the following clauses: that use of marijuana leads to the use of other substances, or that marijuana should be criminalized because it leads to the use of other substances. Whether or not you are advocating the second claim, the first claim remains unproven.
Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By Feser

Why do people even want to legalize it so badly? Becuase you don't people judging you as pothead, like cigarette users are never judged as white trash? I think it is fine if you want to use it, and it should be decriminalized to some measurable extant, but the essays that have been written in this message board alone make me ask - why do you care so much?

deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By deusdigit

I'm not really into it, but if it was legalized. crime rate would be reduced, the economy would go up and all of the chip company's would be very happy :P

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Suicrat
@Feser said:
" Why do people even want to legalize it so badly? Becuase you don't people judging you as pothead, like cigarette users are never judged as white trash? I think it is fine if you want to use it, and it should be decriminalized to some measurable extant, but the essays that have been written in this message board alone make me ask - why do you care so much? "
The same reason why I care about liberty in every other aspect of life, because no one should have the right to stop anyone else from doing anything that isn't coercive. Putting a person in jail for bad habits doesn't solve any problems.
Amorfati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By Amorfati
@Whisperkill said:
" What the hell are you talking about? I haven't mentioned anything about people getting put in jail, all I said is that marijuana leads to other drugs... which it does and I don't think I need to present evidence of that. "
When somebody speaks against the status quo why is that they need to present a mountain of evidence yet when someone affirms the status quo nobody applies the same standards?

Yes, I think you do need to present evidence for that.
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By Whisperkill

@Suicrat said:

" @Whisperkill:  You justified someone else's argument against legalization of marijuana by presenting the fallacious "gateway" argument. And no, you haven't really provided any real evidence of the gateway phenomenon. You presented anecdotal evidence, and then invoked a Hollywood movie, neither of which are proof of either of the following clauses: that use of marijuana leads to the use of other substances, or that marijuana should be criminalized because it leads to the use of other substances. Whether or not you are advocating the second claim, the first claim remains unproven. "

...Yeah I did use the gateway argument. But you were accusing me of something else, you had me confused with another person in this topic. 

And I know I didn't provide any evidence. But I never claimed I did. I only said I don't think I need to.

...Also stop trying to act all fucking intellectual like your in some court case or debate, you just make yourself look like a pretentious douche.

Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By Feser
@Suicrat said:
" @Feser said:
" Why do people even want to legalize it so badly? Becuase you don't people judging you as pothead, like cigarette users are never judged as white trash? I think it is fine if you want to use it, and it should be decriminalized to some measurable extant, but the essays that have been written in this message board alone make me ask - why do you care so much? "
The same reason why I care about liberty in every other aspect of life, because no one should have the right to stop anyone else from doing anything that isn't coercive. Putting a person in jail for bad habits doesn't solve any problems. "

That's nice. Good luck getting that passed. But what confuses me is there are political parties (More so in Europe) that are devoted to legalizing marijuana. Call me silly, but one of the benifits of having liberty and making choices is choosing how to use your time effectively. 
PS Don't get me wrong. I'm not your enemy.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By Suicrat
@Whisperkill: It is a debate, and it is a court case. Just not a formal debate in a formal court. Giant Bomb is a forum for discussion, and we are discussing a topic from different perspectives, so yes, it is a debate, that is the very definition of the word "debate". I use the words I choose to use, and I don't really care if you think I'm pretentious or not. The point I made to amorfati is that people arguing against freedom of choice are not going to be willing to embrace logic, it wasn't about anyone in particular it was about all people who oppose freedom of choice.

You presented the gateway argument in a debate about the legalization of marijuana. If you don't think the gateway argument is related to the question of marijuana's legalization, then why did you present it in this debate?
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#219  Edited By KamasamaK

I guess legalize it, though I'm somewhat indifferent.

Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By Feser
@Suicrat:
I think getting the audience to like you is the key to winning in a debate.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By Suicrat
@Feser said:
" @Suicrat said:
" @Feser said:
The same reason why I care about liberty in every other aspect of life, because no one should have the right to stop anyone else from doing anything that isn't coercive. Putting a person in jail for bad habits doesn't solve any problems. "
That's nice. Good luck getting that passed. But what confuses me is there are political parties (More so in Europe) that are devoted to legalizing marijuana. Call me silly, but one of the benifits of having liberty and making choices is choosing how to use your time effectively. PS Don't get me wrong. I'm not your enemy. "
No, I think you're right. The concept of a Marijuana Party is the direct manifestation of John Locke's (and therefore classical liberalism's) argument against freedom of choice as it relates to narcotics. I don't believe marijuana is the first free choice that should be legalized, but it is definitely one of many. Hierarchies of liberty are another matter entirely, and I'd be happy to make a contribution if you started a thread on that topic.
NateDogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#222  Edited By NateDogg

Legal.  

Wasting too much tax money just attacking the marijuana users when there are worse drugs out on the streets. 

It's not like you can OD on weeds.. Maybe you'll get knocked out but you'll be fine when you wake up.

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By The_Ish
@Atlas said:
" @oldschool: That's true, but it is the business of the government to ensure the health of its citizens.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#224  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I've noticed that people who are against it always seem angry at the world, or look down on people who smoke weed. It's all about peace and happiness with your fellow people! Besides all the years that I have been part of the scene, I have never EVER met an angry stoner. I sure have met my fair share of alcoholic wife beaters  though.

Smoke weed everyday

Oh yeah and it grows in the wild NATURALLY! I say if it comes from the ground, it was meant for me.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#225  Edited By Lashe

I've lost someone through the effects the drug has the potential to have. Not that they are dead, just suffering from severe psychological issues in a hospital they're not likely to get out of any time soon. 

If I could choose one thing to rid the world of, marijuana would be pretty much be top contender.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By Gargantuan

Never realised drugs were so common in the USA. Pretty frightening to be honest, but then again I grew up in a small village in northern Sweden so I'm not used to seeing drugged people.
Voted B

Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Feser
@Suicrat:
Then I think we agree entirely, even if (and I think) we are from completely different ends of the spectrum politically. What is important is that we have debates though I do not think this by any means the most important one. Disregard my previous comment, as it was more related to my disdain for the elitism that is present among some marijuane proponents.   
I shouldn't have said elite. More like when proponents debate this, and only this, when there are more important matters.
SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By SammydesinasNL

Legalised, but I'm not sure whether all countries are ready for it.
raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#229  Edited By raidingkvatch

All drugs of every variety should be legal, then people would know exactly what they're getting and how strong it is, and people should be allowed to be in control of what poisons they choose to ingest, there's no reason why some of these poisons (alcohol and tobacco) should be legal and others shouldn't. I can't see how getting shit-faced is any better, or worse than getting stoned

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#230  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
@Lashe said:
" I've lost someone through the effects the drug has the potential to have. Not that they are dead, just suffering from severe psychological issues in a hospital they're not likely to get out of any time soon.   If I could choose one thing to rid the world of, marijuana would be pretty much be top contender. "
A woman died because she drank too much water once...

I feel for your friend but that doesn't mean marijuana should disappear or be illegal. Everything has the potential to cause harm. Marijuana's potential for harm is significantly lower than most things including caffeine.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#231  Edited By natetodamax

I'm gone for 1-2 days and people are still arguing about this

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By thedj93
@natetodamax said:
" @AlexB said:
"  @MrAwsum said:

"   @AlexB:  And if it's not addictive, why smoke it when you know it's harmful? "

*Sigh* 1. There has never been a single Marijuana related death EVER. IE No one has ever died of a Marijuana  overdose because that is impossible.  2. Knowing that it's harmful doesn't make it addictive. Fail logic much.  3. You could ask the same about alcohol. Why drink if you know it's harmful?  4. Again repeating myself, NOTHING CHEMICALLY INSIDE OF MARIJUANA HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE ADDICTING.  Your logic makes not one bit of sense. "
No need to get pissed, not everybody knows everything there is to know about a drug. "
Well, you should know your topic before trying to prove a point.
Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By Lashe
@Dr_Feelgood38 said:
" @Lashe said:
" I've lost someone through the effects the drug has the potential to have. Not that they are dead, just suffering from severe psychological issues in a hospital they're not likely to get out of any time soon.   If I could choose one thing to rid the world of, marijuana would be pretty much be top contender. "
A woman died because she drank too much water once...  I feel for your friend but that doesn't mean marijuana should disappear or be illegal. Everything has the potential to cause harm. Marijuana's potential for harm is significantly lower than most things including caffeine. "
Family, but thanks. It's pointless trying to convince me otherwise, there's a good difference between living vicariously and first hand experience.
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#234  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
@Lashe: Well, I agree with you there. I've lost friends and family to the effects of various drugs but most of those are already illegal and extremely dangerous. I can see where you're coming from, though.
WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#235  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

I'm indifferent, I don't smoke it, nor do any of my close friends so it wouldn't bother me either way. People are going to do what they want if it's legal or not.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#236  Edited By Vinchenzo

No, people who smoke marijuana can go fuck themselves. If it were up to me.... I would make cigarettes illegal as well, but that's a different issue.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vinchenzo said:
" No, people who smoke marijuana can go fuck themselves. If it were up to me.... I would make cigarettes illegal as well, but that's a different issue. "
I don't like emos or country music, so I want to make those things illegal. 
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#238  Edited By TheGreatGuero

To legalize marijuana would be retarded. It is a mind-altering drug and is harmful. People have been giving marijuana far too much slack these days.

lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Feser said:

Lots of people who argue for its legalization oppose drug use. However, not liking something does not mean it should be illegal. I care strongly about this issues for the following reasons: 

1) It is unbelievably expensive 
2) The government has no business telling me what I do to my body 
3) The government has no business telling me what I can or cannot sell 
4) The government has no business telling me what I can do on my own property 
5) Even though the government has no business legislating my lifestyle, there are far more harmful things than marijuana. 
6) People spend some of their most precious years behind bars because of having the wrong type of vegetation in the possession 
7) It gives criminals power by creating a black market  
8) It doesn't even stop people from doing it

Those are very serious issues that everyone should care about. 
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By Suicrat
@TheGreatGuero said:

"Clause 1: Marijuana is a mind altering substance
Clause 2: People who use this substance should be incarcerated."
I don't understand how clause 2 flows from clause 1.

Postromo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By Postromo

if it gets legalized, it gets corporate. it gets corporate there's more of it. there's more of it it gets cheaper, not to mention the quality would probably go up. so yeah i'm all for it

Amorfati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By Amorfati
@TheGreatGuero said:

" To legalize marijuana would be retarded. It is a mind-altering drug and is harmful. People have been giving marijuana far too much slack these days. "

"Mind-altering drug"? Painkillers interact with the mind. Also, to what extent is it harmful?

Why is it that some people are so willing to fight against their own freedom? Mascohism? To spite others? Hatred?
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Amorfati said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:
" To legalize marijuana would be retarded. It is a mind-altering drug and is harmful. People have been giving marijuana far too much slack these days. "
"Mind-altering drug"? Painkillers interact with the mind. Also, to what extent is it harmful? "
Having a stressful event is also mind altering. If something happens, and you become angry, your mind is certainly altered.  

Therefore, let's make stress illegal. 
teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnurT1Ikcbk    

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@Suicrat: Thank you for incorrectly quoting and interpretting what I said.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By Suicrat
@TheGreatGuero: 
You said marijuana alters the mind, and that it's crazy that people want such a thing to be legal. I asked you how the fact that marijuana alters the mind has any relation to whether or not people should be incarcerated for using or selling it. That is exactly what you said (as I interpreted it), and if it's not, I urge you to clarify, so I can interpret your words correctly.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#247  Edited By oldschool
@Lashe said:
I agree Lashe, in a perfect world.  I hate the stuff and yes, there are people will have a psychotic event from it, but more won't.  We can't make something illegal just because it has a negative consequence on some.  If so, we need to ban gambling, driving, skydiving ......... life is risk and we must assume personal control of that risk.  Maybe some people should be able to test the product on themselves under controlled circumstances to see if they have issues with it, sort of like an allergy test. 

But agreed, if I could rid the world of drugs I would as well.  I won't even socialise with people I know are users.
Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By Mars_Cleric

I don't know if it's changed recently but here in Canberra there are more lax cannabis laws.    

I think the current legislation is that the AFP can issue a Simple Cannabis Offence Notice (about a $100 fine) for possession of two cannabis plants (excluding all hydroponically or artficially grown cannabis plants) or up to 25g of dried cannabis for personal use only.   

Canberra = Pot, Porn & Fireworks     

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#249  Edited By damnboyadvance

Let's legalize it, but try to control it.

zkilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By zkilla

legalize it just like alcohol you cant drive under it's consumption and you have to be 18 or over to use it