Sony's "Electrifying" Announcement Revealed!

• 84 results
Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff
I was really hoping for a Nathan Drake cameo in inFamous.
Here's the problem with video game PR. There's just no sense of scale. Every announcement, no matter how minor the game or inconsequential the detail, is trumpeted in ALL CAPS and treated as though it will rock the world of interactive entertainment to its very foundation. Look, I know you're excited about it, but licensing a piece of middleware doesn't merit the same enthusiasm as revealing Hideo Kojima's involvement in Sid Meier's Will WrightTycoon

Take this whole "electrifying" announcement that Sony has been building up for the past few days. It was supposed to happen on Monday the 27th, but as with most best-laid plans, word has leaked out early. Kotaku received a hot tip from a reader, and it would appear that the big reveal was that you'll receive an inFamous demo code when you pre-order the game, plus an Uncharted 2 multiplayer beta voucher when you actually plunk down the $60 for inFamous. 

Giant Bomb's stance against the practice of using demos as pre-order bait is well established, and while I'm rather excited about Uncharted 2, it ain't because of the multiplayer. Not to say that this isn't an item of interest, but if you're going to tease something, you'd better be damn sure it's worth the effort. The internet has a short attention span, but a long memory, and people are still saying "Megaton."
Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff
Here's the problem with video game PR. There's just no sense of scale. Every announcement, no matter how minor the game or inconsequential the detail, is trumpeted in ALL CAPS and treated as though it will rock the world of interactive entertainment to its very foundation. Look, I know you're excited about it, but licensing a piece of middleware doesn't merit the same enthusiasm as revealing Hideo Kojima's involvement in Sid Meier's Will WrightTycoon

Take this whole "electrifying" announcement that Sony has been building up for the past few days. It was supposed to happen on Monday the 27th, but as with most best-laid plans, word has leaked out early. Kotaku received a hot tip from a reader, and it would appear that the big reveal was that you'll receive an inFamous demo code when you pre-order the game, plus an Uncharted 2 multiplayer beta voucher when you actually plunk down the $60 for inFamous. 

Giant Bomb's stance against the practice of using demos as pre-order bait is well established, and while I'm rather excited about Uncharted 2, it ain't because of the multiplayer. Not to say that this isn't an item of interest, but if you're going to tease something, you'd better be damn sure it's worth the effort. The internet has a short attention span, but a long memory, and people are still saying "Megaton."
Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Gregomasta

so when will Sid Meier's will wright tycoon be available?

Thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Thunder

that doesnt bother me gives me something else to do

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By artofwar420

I might have missed it but Uncharted 2 having multiplayer seems news to me. I can't imagine how it could be, we shall see.

iExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By iExile

It's been one hell of a week for PS3 owners.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pause422

The fact that Uncharted even has multiplayer has me worried now...

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Death_Burnout

YES FINALLY! this is entirely the way i wan't this industry to go!...

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew

Bah! That's not news, Sony.

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ververdan0226

i'd prefer a demo for the single player because multiplayer in uncharted sounds terrible. but i do like naughty dog and i have confidence in them that they'll at least make something kind-of -sort-of decent out of a multiplayer mode. i don't know.. we'll see.

and inFamous still looks amazing.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

Uncharted is not about the MP, but more about the SP experience. so i could care less about the MP beta vouchers.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#11  Edited By Vinchenzo

Why would you put MP in Uncharted. Did they forget how to make games?

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Luke

I already pre-ordered inFamous and received no such demo code... do I have to go back to the store or something? 

Guess we'll really find-out on Monday.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By OmegaPirate

Co-op uncharted sounds good to me :)

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EvilTwin

It's sad that adding multiplayer to games has become a negative thing.  Not that I'm saying it isn't.  The fact that Bioshock 2 and Uncharted 2 are both getting multiplayer makes me think the developers just don't get it.

iExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iExile

@ Luke: Did you pre-order at Best Buy?

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

hey, as long as the SP is awesome in U2 as it was in U1, then i don't give a donkey's asshole what they put in the game.  now all of you who is bitching about MP in Uncharted need to calm the fuck down, and wait till the game to come out.  look back at MGS4 and GTA4, both have a whack-ass MP, but no one is complaining because the SP was so amazing.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Scooper

Uncharted has multiplayer?

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Man, Microsoft is gonna cower in fear. :P

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Luke

@ iExile: No, I pre-ordered at GameStop because they have the Gigawatt Blades Power Voucher.  Which is better than the PlayStation Home Outfit, in my opinion.

GHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GHT

I can see Uncharted multiplayer working out if they make it similar to Gears of War.

Jaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jaded

Uncharted was an awesome single player experience. Adding multiplayer can only dilute the gameplay experience. I'd rather they put the resources they're devoted to Deathmatch Drake into making a better solo game.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Lame.

iExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iExile

@ Luke: Best Buy has the demo for Infamous, and the voucher for Uncharted 2's MP beta.

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By benderunit22

Why wouldn't Uncharted 2 work in MP? Because they're not wearing body armor? Neither are the people in Call of Duty. In fact, the helmet-protected head-area is the most vulnerable part.

If the singleplayer doesn't suffer because of this, I don't see how this can be a bad thing.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EvilTwin
LiveOrDie1212 said:
"

hey, as long as the SP is awesome in U2 as it was in U1, then i don't give a donkey's asshole what they put in the game.  now all of you who is bitching about MP in Uncharted need to calm the fuck down, and wait till the game to come out.  look back at MGS4 and GTA4, both have a whack-ass MP, but no one is complaining because the SP was so amazing.

"
The problem is that if the SP isn't as good; it's so easy to blame the MP.  Instead of wasting time on a MP game that will probably largely go overlooked, they could just be focusing all of their budget and team on a great SP experience.  Besides, you're talking about games that had huge teams/budgets and 4 years in development.  I seriously doubt Naughty Dog has the resources of Rockstar North or Kojima Productions, and they certainly don't have 4 years.  They barely have 2. 
Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Luke

@ iExile: Awww, oh-well.  Thanks for the info. 

I still feel like the Gigawatt Blades Power Voucher is the best deal.  It adds to the actual game, instead of giving me something that I'll eventually get to play anyway, in the near future.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pibo47

I just want infamous.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EvilTwin
BenderUnit22 said:
"Why wouldn't Uncharted 2 work in MP? Because they're not wearing body armor? Neither are the people in Call of Duty. In fact, the helmet-protected head-area is the most vulnerable part.If the singleplayer doesn't suffer because of this, I don't see how this can be a bad thing."
Because the single-player probably will suffer for a mediocre multi-player experience.  All because people are so worried about their games having multi-player components because of some invisible checklist that jerks on message boards have propagated.  "Doesn't have multi-player, well I guess it's only a rental for me".  As if there are more than two or three games with multi-player worth playing anyways. 
Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lukeweizer

Megaton.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LiveOrDie1212
EvilTwin said:
"LiveOrDie1212 said:
"

"
The problem is that if the SP isn't as good; it's so easy to blame the MP.  Instead of wasting time on a MP game that will probably largely go overlooked, they could just be focusing all of their budget and team on a great SP experience.  Besides, you're talking about games that had huge teams/budgets and 4 years in development.  I seriously doubt Naughty Dog has the resources of Rockstar North or Kojima Productions, and they certainly don't have 4 years.  They barely have 2.  "
well, i am willing to give Naughty Dog the benifit of the doubt mostly because of their track record as a game developer. I can see them having one team mainly focusing on the SP and have a smaller team working on the MP.  I don't think ND is the kind of developer who go out of their way to do something that would compromises their agenda; and that is to make a good SP expereience for the player.
hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hexogen

I really don't understand why every game these days (particularly shooters) has to have multiplayer. I mean, does anyone honestly give a shit about multiplayer in games like Uncharted and BioShock? To me it just seems like they're wasting valuable development resources that could be spent on making single player even better on a mediocre multiplayer mode that people will play for a week and then completely forget about. I know multiplayer looks good as a bullet point on the back of the box, but in most games they just feel half-assed and tacked on, and I have to wonder why the developers even bothered.

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hairydutchman

Uncharted multiplayer? No thank you. I hope they don't focus too much on the multiplayer because the singleplayer of the first one was amazing.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gregomasta said:
"so when will Sid Meier's will wright tycoon be available?"

Definitely want a piece of that action.
Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By Vorbis

Re5 versus has some competition for the "strangest place to put multiplayer" award.

Got to be a new catagory for next years giantbomb awards, make it happen!

solidpython

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By solidpython

Woah, wait what? Uncharted 2 Multiplayer!? I missed that one!

mgsolid86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 40

#36  Edited By mgsolid86

Who keeps making these terrible decisions?  On one hand, I hope it's the developers because they're who I'm punishing when I decide to rent the game after hearing about preorder exclusives (Gigawatt Blades).  I, for one, am not 100% sure I want to buy it (and now can't play the demo to see if I want to) so I won't preorder it.  However, when it comes out and I decide to pick it up I'll feel like I'm missing out on content that was included in the preorder, so I'll just rent it instead.

Also, don't bother with Uncharted multiplayer, just make a long single-player experience.  I love the first one!  Still own it, beat it 3 or 4 times.

On second thought, make it co-op.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By penguindust

I can't picture multiplayer in Uncharted.  As it stood in the first game, it took way too many bullets to bring down your average hoodlum, so I can't imagine having to hit someone 3 to 5 times in the chest with a shotgun at point blank in multiplayer matches and expect it to be fun.  Having said that, I remain very enthused by the single-player game and eagerly await its arrival.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TwoOneFive

Uncharted 2 multiplayer does merit the scale of hype they had for this news Ryan, sorry, but to me that is huge.

ps. i dont think this news was hyped NEARLY as much as you make it out to be.  i barely heard anything about it nor did i ever see any threads on this sites forum about it, nor did i ever talk about it with anyone on any other forums. 
gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By gunslingerNZ

Even if you're not enthusiastic about Uncharted MP (I'm definitely not) I don't think you can fault Sony for calling this a big announcement.

radion_null

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40  Edited By radion_null

I don't' know how I feel about the news. All I can say is that I am glad that those people wanting multiplayer are getting it. I was extremely satisfied by the single-player expereince. i just hope that the efforts on multi-payer don't take away from the development in the single-player campaign.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CL60
Globox822 said:
"Ryan, please shut up, ok?! No you are not interested in Uncharted 2, you gave Uncharted 1 (one of better games in 07) pathetic 7.5 if i remember corectly. Just play your 360. I am so fed up with this type of BS that come from gaming journalist as your self. I don't remember Sony hyping this to me megaton, it was just a teasing announcement, ididn't see internet explode cuz of it. Did you? Hmm..."
lol you're a retard.
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By maxszy

Wow, way to go Sony PR!

As for the "pre-order and get a demo" that's just ridiculous. Defeats the whole purpose of a DEMO. Demonstration! TO SHOW YOU BEFORE YOU BUY IT! *sigh* That gets me all riled up!

Smersh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By Smersh

megaton.

NukeGoBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NukeGoBoom

Its not a preorder...Its with every copy.The demo is pre order.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Real-time weapon switching.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By neoepoch
Globox822 said:
"Ryan, please shut up, ok?! No you are not interested in Uncharted 2, you gave Uncharted 1 (one of better games in 07) pathetic 7.5 if i remember corectly. Just play your 360. I am so fed up with this type of BS that come from gaming journalist as your self. I don't remember Sony hyping this to me megaton, it was just a teasing announcement, ididn't see internet explode cuz of it. Did you? Hmm..."
Dude, you are an idiot. He gave it a 8.0, and from his comments on the Bombcast he seems to really like Uncharted, faults and all.  If you want to be taken seriously you shouldn't blast people without the facts, and you should learn to spell check your typing.

Anywho, a multiplayer demo that comes with each copy seems fine with me. It is just the "Pre-order and you'll get the demo!" that bothers me.
Blazer74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Blazer74

Both these games look to be cool but yeah Sony continues to underwhelm overall. And if it isn't that their constant whining is pathetic but I guess that is what happens when your losing. Nintendo did the same stuff, well not quite as bad, when they fell from the top.

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By SpinCookie

I feel like the only one excited for this?  I always thought of Uncharted as the PS3's "Gears of War" (a really well made 3rd person shooter with a cover mechanic) and Gears has multiplayer, so it makes sense that Uncharted would.

I think most people don't  like this news only because the first one didn't have it.  I have faith in Naughty Dog, I don't' think they'd put it out if it wasn't ready.

Also, I'm a huge PS3 fan, I'm not saying Uncharted is copying Gears (or that Gears set a precedent) I just thing the two games are similar, and I welcome a polished multiplayer portion if its good.