Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 17, 2009

Take control of Huang Lee, the son of a Triad mob boss, in an destructive romp throughout Liberty City in his quest for revenge, money and honour in Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars.

GTA: Chinatown Wars Did Not Sell Especially Well

• 190 results
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#101  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'd heard sales for this game were bad but man these are bad. I do find it sad that in this day and age even when you have an awesome game from one of the most popular franchises ever when you put it on the DS the average gamer dismisses it as rubbish without a second thought.

Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Scorched

it wasn't really hyped up enough
    I bought it and am still enjoying it
    but I didn't even know about it until about a week before it came out other than it existed, I didn't know if it was going to be good so it was off my radar
    however I sort of wish more games came out that I only new about a week in advance
    however I guess that doesn't make the moneys

altdimension

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

#103  Edited By altdimension

Thats crazy, having played the game myself. It is infact the first GTA game I have ever owned and it has certainly convinced me to follow the series and I would even go as far as picking up GTA IV (if it wasn't so messed up for the pc). The problem I see is that the majority of DS owners arn't necessarily those who also own an Xbox 360 or PS3, DS seems to be aimed at more of a casual market 'pickup and play' if you liike. And becuase of this that kind of audience wouldn't really have heard of the series, let alone want to play it with the big red '18' sticker on the front of the box.

I mean I work at a restaurent, and the majority of kids who come there with their parents I see playing a DS with something like nintendogs or whatever, and I really can't see that the game appealing to that audience (nor would I see their parents let them have it).

People who own an Xbox 360 or PS3 are those of the more mature audience, who'll more likly have an iphone for portable games or even not bother with them at all and stick to something like an MP3/ipod kind of device when they're on the move.

The DS just seems to be another quality device by nintendo, haunted by that 'branded for kids label'
    Egge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#104  Edited By Egge
    "And I could be wrong, but this looks like a case of the audience sending a pretty clear message about what it wants on the DS. What do you think?"

Emphatically yes, the idea of having a GTA game on the DS is a pretty weird and counter-intuitive one which would require a lot more of carefully worded persuasion Ii.e. expensive marketing) than we've seen from the developer/publisher so far. I've read all the positive press and watched the video reviews and understand the game's greatness on a purely rational level without even having played it. But every time I almost feel the urge to buy it, I remember that it's "a GTA game on the DS". And I'm sorry, but that simply doesn't make any sense at all...
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Kohe321

I agree with Red. Though a great game, these sorts of games do not sell as well on nintendo platforms as they would do on other ones.

killawogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#106  Edited By killawogg

i did my part i picked the game up and i love it, one of the best ds games ive played in a long time, maybe it will pick up in sales by word of mouth.

the only setback i see with the market share of the ds with gta chinatown is the drug dealing that might be over the top, it does not bother me but im sure it prob does not fit in with the  crowd
    HeyLookIJust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#107  Edited By HeyLookIJust

I think a lot of it had to do with the commercial marketing of the game.  The commercial imo made it sound like it was a really crappy thrown together game with it's really lame economic jokes in it. It was not until I did research on the internet about it [not something the average consumer would do] that I found it was actually a pretty awesome game.  I have not really been too interested in GTA though for a while tbh though.

mariussmit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 4

#108  Edited By mariussmit

The only reason I haven't bought this game yet is because I still have a backlog of games to play from 2007/2008. But hey I'll go buy it this afternoon "for the cause" even though I'll only play it in a year. NPD you can make that 89001.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#109  Edited By Evilmetal

Maybe sales were bad because when I ordered chinatown wars from Amazon couple days ago and later got it... it had the special pre-order unlock key.

Amazon had the promotion that if you preorder GTA Chinatown wars, you get an unlock code to get a bulletproof car. Mine had the unlock code and I didn't preorder it, I bought it a couple days ago... almost a month after release.

Possibly a limited time thing, but they still have the boxes with the codes inside.. thus they didn't sell out of the promotional boxes.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#110  Edited By toowalrus

I'm at home a lot, and I've got a hundred 360 games I need to play, but if I end up taking this trip to Boston later this year, I'll probably pick it up for the hotel room.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#111  Edited By JackiJinx

I just went and bought a PS2 for some hardcore RPGing. Don't ask me to drop money on anything else until I fully utilize that system, Gertsmann!

xWOBBx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By xWOBBx

i bought my copy 2 days ago,  and a dsi.  i love it.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#113  Edited By strangeling

Or...

maybe the game industry isn't recession proof.
    UrzaJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By UrzaJR

This is extremely dissapointing for me. Now that I have a real "job" and can't spend as much time in front of the console, I've been really greatful for the deeper experiences we're seeing on the DS. This lets me play in little bits on the subway, bus, while watching TV with my girlfriend, etc. GTA for DS is a standout title, and if low sales numbers mean we'll see fewer titles of this caliber in the future, its our loss! 

I'm no piracy puritan, but lets try and support the kind of games we want to see in the future!
    UrzaJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By UrzaJR

Also, a word to those who avoided Chinatown Wars because they're tired of GTA - I'm with you. I too skipped San Andreas, and never finished Vice City. I stalled out on GTAIV but eventually plowed through to see the ending. Chinatown Wars is a different animal though - you are constantly doing new and interesting things in the missions, and the gameplay is actually a lot more varied, less frustrating, and fun, frankly, than even GTAIV. It really deserves a go on its own merits.

JamesM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#116  Edited By JamesM

It's a shame. It's one of the best games I've played on the DS, and combines many great but seemingly disparate elements really well. I can only imagine it's a perception issue. I certainly didn't pay it much attention until I started hearing how great it was.

mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By mattysen

Well thats what you get when you think the most R-rated game on the market to mainly a little kids, grandma and girls consle. Plus on top of that, most of my 21 year old friends who own a DS have an R4 card for it soo

TenStoryMother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By TenStoryMother

Hmmm...I think the verdict is still out on the fate of GTA on the DS and DSi.  Like many DS games, GTA might slowly sell over the long haul, giving Rockstar and Take-Two a steady stream of income throughout the year.  I think the next two or three month's NPD numbers will give everyone much greater insight into how much of a "hardcore" audience truly exists on Nintendo's handheld platforms.      

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#119  Edited By RHCPfan24

That's a shame. I bought it and love it, and I have suggested everyone that asked me about to go play it, too. Still, the main thing that I noticed were my friend's reactions to me playing it. "Oh, that GTA game for the DS looks like crap, how can they do it right?" And I answer to them that they did do it right and it is awesome, but they remain unconvinced. And that is where lies the problem, along with the DS being the primary platform for young children.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By penguindust

Yeah, for me it's a question of timing.  Just right now, all I'm doing is playing RPGs.  On the console and the DS, RPGs are my focus.  If this had come out a year ago, I might have taken the plunge (although then I was only playing WOW), but right now I have no interest in this style of gameplay. 

I'm sure there is an element of truth that this game probably would have sold better on the PSP since that portable has a history with the franchise.

pawsoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#121  Edited By pawsoffury

I'd imagine by this point the demographic who'd actually buy GTA on the DS is already well aware (and most likely owns) an R4 card as someone else has already mentioned.

The audience which would buy the Imagine and training series aren't going to stumble across an explanation of pandora batteries or homebrew on facebook or foxybingo anytime soon, so those games will continue to sell the numbers. It begs belief that the industry still kids itself  about 'oh it must be that they aren't interested' when the PC market has been dealing with the piracy issue for the last 20+ years.

This of course ignores the fact that unless you're about 10 in the backseat of your parents car, playing a game on the move just seems a hassle as opposed to say listening to your iPod.

wizeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By wizeguy

to be honest, jeff maybe right, but i think there are alot of ds owners that have a R4 card with pirate games on, i dont i bought my copy.   if thousands around the world have a pirate copy then the sales will look low.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Jensonb

Unbelievable. That game is amazing, one of the DS's best. People are stupid.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By DukeTogo

The DS is crap, the games are crap, and top-down GTA went out 10 years ago.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By TheKidNixon

I'm not sure that the M-rating, adult-focused content is the sole reason this game struggled at retail; it was also more expensive than your average DS game and didn't exactly look like what the mass populace associates with GTA.

Do we know how these numbers compare to the Liberty City Stories/Vice City Stories PSP releases?

apoloimagod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#127  Edited By apoloimagod

I called this one out... As much as I wanted this game to sell well on the DS, I knew it wouldn't. When you look at the kinds of games that are selling massively on the DS, you can tell this is not the type of game that people who own this console buy. Too bad, even though I predicted this outcome, I was really hoping to be wrong.

PLWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By PLWolf

I think this is just telling of the power of the R4, M3, and Slot1 Cards that are on the market today. It's got nothing to do with the demographic of the system.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#129  Edited By Cirdain
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By subject2change

Endurance Run that bitch; help their sales! It worked for Persona 4 and Atlus, lol.

Like most have said many DS users who are adults have R4s or other cards, I am li ke them but rarely play my handhelds, as well as only download games that I would never buy something like Metal Slug 7 while fun is not something I feel I need, it kills 20 minutes when bored.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#131  Edited By jeff
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Well, Liberty City Stories sold 158,000 in its first month, so the DS game did better with more than half the sales in half the time, even though PSP gamers were pretty starved for quality titles at the time, whereas the DS has a steady stream of good games and, of course, an immense back catalogue to choose from. That didn't stop the PSP title from becoming a success (over a million sales after a year, and over 8 million after 2 years and a PS2 version according to Take Two) and spawning more PSP GTA titles, even though it wasn't the system seller people had expected or hoped for. So, how about we wait and see what happens with this one (even though I don't expect it to reach the PSP games sales, it also didn't have their budget)? No? Okay, I guess the DS is Nintendo's other baby, let's bash it every chance we get just like the Wii. M rated games or not, it's THE handheld to have with tons of titles that suit any taste, not just Nintendogs and Brain Age."
    Is that number for a full month of sales? LCS came out on October 24, so if you're quoting its first NPD appearance, that makes CW look quite a bit worse.

And I don't think anyone's arguing about the quality of the DS. It's obviously the best handheld. Maybe it just isn't the place for M-rated material. I'd be fine with that... I think most of my favorite DS games have been E10+, at most. Maybe people should stop expecting all hardware to be all things to all people.
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Endogene

This makes me wonder, how did Dementium sell?

Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#133  Edited By Ghostin

It's a shame GTA didn't fly on the system, but while it might be the DS audience... couldn't it also be a bit of franchise fatigue after all the GTA4 hype and marketing?  I know personally I was interested, but couldn't justify another GTA game for a while.

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Junpei

My reason for never picking it up is I just don't care for GTA. I appreciate what it is and understand what everyone seems to like about it, but I get incredibly bored with it. I was somewhat tempted to pick up GTAIV just because of the word of mouth about the story but I know that I'll never finish it and get burned out on it. It's just not for me even though I'm the "target audience" (22 year old male). I liked what I played of the old school top down GTA stuff but I just don't feel compelled by that style game anymore.

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

I bought it, but I don't see myself finishing it anytime soon, if ever. I played the first few missions and as soon as I realized I was forcing myself through it, it wasn't fun anymore. It saddens me to think that they'll probably stick to the new serious GTA IV formula from now on, but I much prefer the silly ones, and this was a nice, albeit brief return to that.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#136  Edited By ChrisTaran

I do not want to play a "core" gamer franchise on a handheld. In fact there's very little I would prefer to see on a handheld over my HDTV.

I do hope this sends a clear message. Hopefully people like Atlus will start making games for consoles again instead of the 30 titles they have coming out for DS and PSP.

seakae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By seakae

I thought the game was pretty rad. That's a bit unfortunate.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

a GTA game on a fuckin DS....what you expect??

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#139  Edited By LordAndrew
    ChrisTaran said:
    "I do not want to play a "core" gamer franchise on a handheld. In fact there's very little I would prefer to see on a handheld over my HDTV.

I do hope this sends a clear message. Hopefully people like Atlus will start making games for consoles again instead of the 30 titles they have coming out for DS and PSP."
    That's not the message I want to be sending at all. And besides, Atlus doesn't even make games most of the time. They're mostly a publisher.
    darro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#140  Edited By darro

It kind of sucks to tell you the truth since its one of the few DS games coming out this year I am getting from what I see since the DS library is getting overrun by all those so-called games like the Imagine series and crap like that, which probably sells if they keep on making endless amounts of them or that they are not that much to develop.  What you said though Jeff is probably true in that the reason it has sold low numbers is the whole adult-oriented side of things.  I have the game and I really like it thus far. 

dQuarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By dQuarters

I think it's foolish for people to assume anything with GTA on it will sell no matter the actual product. And that's not to say it's not a great game. It's just not what people want in their GTAs ... obviously.

I believe it has nothing (much) to do with the system it's on. It seems to me all the news outlets I frequent simply enjoy watching Nintendo fail a little too much, and will spin any story in that direction to louden the "Nintendo is for soccer mom's" rally cry.

GTA fails and it's Nintendo's fault? Nintendo's problem? Hardly!

Let me say this differently: If they released a truer-to-form GTA on the DS I believe it would sell just fine. This is nothing more than an unsuccessful Rockstar experiment. I'll change my tune if they release GTA:CW to PSN and XBLA and it sells like gangbusters. I just don't see it happening as those systems have REAL GTA's to play already.

And since I'm ranting, why doesn't someone (an actual analyst hopefully) try to exhibit the overlap between the millions of GTA fanatics (who play on PC, PS3 or XB) already enjoying GTAIV and the millions of DS owners. I know a bunch of people who own GTAIV, and a bunch of OTHER people who own DS's, but I know only one who qualifies for both and he is not interested in a "lesser" GTA game.
    Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#142  Edited By Death_Burnout
    ChrisTaran said:
    "I do not want to play a "core" gamer franchise on a handheld. In fact there's very little I would prefer to see on a handheld over my HDTV."
    Well GTA on a handheld is mixed, the PSP games are more akin to the ""core" gamer franchise" as you put it, and i dont want to play those at all, i'll play them on my TV, that is more of a problem with the PSP in general though.

But this GTA ain't like those games at all, it's a slight throwback, and works perfectly as a DS game, i could't be more happy with it. it's great.
    Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Carlos1408

Well they can't succeed every time, there is still hope though, there always is...

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Dalai

There is the off chance that GTA was just overshadowed by Pokemon Platinum.  It's a crazy theory, but Pokemon might have ruined GTA's chance at success.

Also, I think we need to look at the numbers next week to see if GTA: CW has legs like the console GTA games.  If sales drop significantly in April, then mature gaming on the DS is dead, which is fine.

Avatar image for platypusplatoon
    PlatypusPlatoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By PlatypusPlatoon

I think people just aren't expecting GTA on a handheld to be any good, if it isn't based directly off a console game, like the PSP versions were.  When I first heard GTA announced for the DS, I automatically assumed it would be crap.  "There's no way they can recreate GTA with the limited power of the DS, unless they're going back to the old-school, top-down, 2-D style," I thought.  The trailers didn't change my impression much - they screamed desperate GTA spin-off, not real-deal GTA.

So I was surprised as anyone when the reviews started coming in, lauding it as a faithful adaption of the GTA experience, on a handheld with a fraction of the power of current-gen consoles.  The vast majority of people don't read game reviews before making purchases, though, preferring to go on name-brand recognition, word of mouth, or (heaven help us) back-of-the-box copy.  I'm pretty sure the general public is not aware of just how much GTA goodness is packed into the cart, and instead has the impression that Chinatown Wars is an inferior mockery of the console version.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Media_Master

I think people do not want to spend there free time pretending to be a criminal.

Crime doesn't pay....on ds

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By ZeroCast
    sixpin said:
    "I think it has more to do with it being GTA on a handheld than it being a mature rated game on the DS. Most GTA players are probably skeptical of a portable GTA title, especially one on the DS. GTA fans that are used to the playstyle of GTA III - IV are most likey turned off by the top-down view of the DS title. And although I like the game and think it is a strong effort, I can't say that it is great. The controls are loose, the camera annoying, and the aiming is as bad or worse than GTA III. Overall I think it is mostly that GTA fans are being careful with their cash. Afterall, Lost and Damned came out right before Chinatown Wars. I think a lot of people might be more willing to pay $20 for more GTA IV than $35 for an unfamiliar DS title."

No my friend, Lost and Damned didn't come out right before Chinatown Wars, there was a one month period between the two, you could finish L&D twice with that amount of time and then think about this DS title you call "unfamiliar".

Also, i honestly don't get the annoying camera issues you're having? So far, the camera has been great, never got in the way of doing missions or even buildings, try giving it some more time and you're definitely going to love it.
    Terranova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Terranova

The DS is one of the most pirated systems especially in Europe, Everyone i know who has a DS has a R4 or similar, and they just get the roms, no surprise that the sells were not high,  I would say most are playing it and there is a audience for these types of games,  they just aren't paying for it. and i'm not sure what can be done about that because even games that come with copy protection such as Square-enix rpgs someone gets hacks and patches for the roms pretty quickly.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Milkman

This is why we can't have nice things Nintendo fans. Thanks a lot. 

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By AgentofChaos

The game is good, but people are hesitant to purchase portable GTA (especially on Nintendo systems, GTA Advance anyone?)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.