Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

GRIN

Company »

GRIN was a Swedish game development studio, best known for their work on the PC versions of the Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter series and the two new Bionic Commando games. GRIN closed their doors August 12th, 2009.

Grin almost not a company anymore

• 67 results
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By trophyhunter

kotaku reports the the Swedish makers of wanted and bionic command are almost nonexistent anymore because both those games sucked.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

I wouldn't say they sucked. That's too bad those guys seem cool.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By PureRok

Great journalism right here, folks!

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
    gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By gingertastic_10

I really liked Bionic Commando. They could make great games if they could make original games. I really hope they stay together.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By trophyhunter

well when all the games your company has made turn out to be bad 
    your not a company for long and to the people that say BC was good one word...........wifearm

gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gingertastic_10
    @trophyhunter: Bionic Commando Rearmed got good reviews and some of their early stuff did to. So they weren't all crap. And nice spoiler there to.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By vidiot

Here, let me do what you should have done and actually make this thread worthwhile.
    Kotaku Link
    Gamasutra Link

From Gamasutra:
     "Gamasutra has learned from reliable development sources that Stockholm-based developer GRIN has seen significant layoffs, and may be facing difficulty staying afloat.
    The news comes after the company saw
    heavy layoffs earlier this year, no doubt the partial result of weaker-than-expected sales and critical reception to 2009 games like Bionic Commando, Wanted: Weapons of Fate, and Terminator Salvation.
    According to a
    Swedish-language report from IDG this past June -- which went seemingly unreported in the English-language press -- the company has already closed its Barcelona and Gothenburg offices, events confirmed by Gamasutra sources.
    Furthermore, the company's main Stockholm office may also be in jeopardy. Sources indicated to Gamasutra that employees have apparently been told not to show up for work, and the company may be undergoing some kind of closing or bankruptcy procedure.
    The company saw a considerable rise in the last few years. Though it was founded in 1997, it was not until it was given responsibility for the PC versions of the
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter games that GRIN started becoming more widely-known as a company. Since then, it has opened additional locations and attracted an increasing number of development deals from major publishers before running into trouble earlier this year.
    Interestingly, fellow Stockholm-based studio Fatshark today announced the multiplayer shooter
    Lead & Gold - Gangs of the Wild West; Fatshark uses GRIN's Diesel engine, and GRIN is a stakeholder in the company.

Gamasutra is following up with GRIN representatives and will update if new information is received."

Sadly, this is a great example of the cut-throat world of game development. Go big or go home. We could analyze the reasons why Bionic Commando didn't sell, reasons we have talked about before, but at the end of the day it all depends on the sales.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By trophyhunter
    @gingertastic_10 said:
    " @trophyhunter: Bionic Commando Rearmed got good reviews and some of their early stuff did to. So they weren't all crap. And nice spoiler there to. "
    trust me anyone who was going to play it has already and who would believe 
    something as unbelievably stupid as the reason your wife is missing is because she is your bionic arm  
    that is not organic in anyway
    Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By Damien

Too bad, means less Swedish salt candy on the bombcast.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Illmatic

It's really a shame since I enjoyed Bionic Comando: Rearmed alot (I never played the original). What obviously didn't help was the fact that their three major releases for that year were two movie based games (one of an older movie and another of a poorly received movie) and a remake of a game with a name only familiar to long time gamers.

joey2683

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By joey2683
    @vidiot:
    Well said. Videogames are a business, and if you don't do well, then your forced to move on. With the exception of Uwe Boll though...
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By buzz_clik
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @gingertastic_10 said:
    " @trophyhunter: Bionic Commando Rearmed got good reviews and some of their early stuff did to. So they weren't all crap. And nice spoiler there to. "
    trust me anyone who was going to play it has already and who would believe  something as unbelievably stupid as the reason your wife is missing is because she is your bionic arm   that is not organic in anyway "
    Story aside, it was a well-made, sequel-worthy game with a few flaws. I don't think the spoilertastic reason you cite had anything to do with poor sales.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By trophyhunter
    @buzz_clik said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    " @gingertastic_10 said:
    trust me anyone who was going to play it has already and who would believe  something as unbelievably stupid as the reason your wife is missing is because she is your bionic arm   that is not organic in anyway "
    Story aside, it was a well-made, sequel-worthy game with a few flaws. I don't think the spoilertastic reason you cite had anything to do with poor sales. "
    if it did not have such god awful story it may have sold better
    Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Zajtalan

lol i love how you dont give a shit

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iamjohn
    @trophyhunter said:

" @buzz_clik said:

" @trophyhunter said:
    " @gingertastic_10 said:
    Story aside, it was a well-made, sequel-worthy game with a few flaws. I don't think the spoilertastic reason you cite had anything to do with poor sales. "
    if it did not have such god awful story it may have sold better "
    If games sold on story alone, Halo, Gears of War, Mario... fuck, practically every single video game in existence would have tanked.  Get your head out of your ass and stop trying to throw around the huge spoiler of the game as if it somehow had anything to do with the fact that an incredibly poorly marketed game tanked. 

Oh, and by the way, saying "LOL LOL LOL THE GAME SUCKS BECAUSE YOUR ARM IS YOUR WIFE" makes you sound like a completely uneducated idiot who has never played the game and therefore shouldn't really be saying anything about the quality of it.
    C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By C2C

Man this type of news always sucks.  Based from the Bombcasts they were on, they seemes like cool dudes.

gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gingertastic_10
    @iAmJohn: Very well said.

I just really hope GRIN gets out of it and makes it through. They seem like great guys who just made some big mistakes.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By delta_ass

Doesn't surprise me.

None of their games are noteworthy.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Rearmed is one of my favorite games of 08, so it was a bummer to see them put out three financial/critical duds this year. It really put a bad taste in my mouth concerning them as well. It was basically the Sonic Team trajectory sped up to a 9 month span. They came onto my radar with a bang, disappeared for a bit, and entered the new year with crap, crap, and crap.   

Also, I never particularly enjoyed listening to them on the Bombcast. I'm gonna be that guy.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

I really liked both Bionic Commandos, cheesy storylines or not. The Bombcasts they were on were some of the best too, really a shame.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By trophyhunter
    @iAmJohn said:
    " @trophyhunter said:

" @buzz_clik said:

" @trophyhunter said:
    " @gingertastic_10 said:
    if it did not have such god awful story it may have sold better "
    If games sold on story alone, Halo, Gears of War, Mario... fuck, practically every single video game in existence would have tanked.  Get your head out of your ass and stop trying to throw around the huge spoiler of the game as if it somehow had anything to do with the fact that an incredibly poorly marketed game tanked.  Oh, and by the way, saying "LOL LOL LOL THE GAME SUCKS BECAUSE YOUR ARM IS YOUR WIFE" makes you sound like a completely uneducated idiot who has never played the game and therefore shouldn't really be saying anything about the quality of it. "
    sorry I beat the game like 2 weeks ago and thought i was complete shit 
    so I guess I'm sorry for having good taste in games?
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By trophyhunter
    @CoolDrMoney said:
    " Rearmed is one of my favorite games of 08, so it was a bummer to see them put out three financial/critical duds this year. It really put a bad taste in my mouth concerning them as well. It was basically the Sonic Team trajectory sped up to a 9 month span. They came onto my radar with a bang, disappeared for a bit, and entered the new year with crap, crap, and crap.   

Also, I never particularly enjoyed listening to them on the Bombcast. I'm gonna be that guy. "
    I'm that guy already because I said they sucked
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By buzz_clik
    @iAmJohn said:

" Oh, and by the way, saying "LOL LOL LOL THE GAME SUCKS BECAUSE YOUR ARM IS YOUR WIFE" makes you sound like a completely uneducated idiot who has never played the game and therefore shouldn't really be saying anything about the quality of it. "

I was going to mention this too. The wife/arm thing has been raised on a couple of podcasts recently, and seems to be the internet whipping boy du jour.
    fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By fr0br0

Bionic Commando Rearmed should be enough reason for those guys to still be around for another game or two. What about all the other developers who release nothing, but pure shit games? Why are they able to continue to make GI Joe level crap? But I guess that's life...

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#25  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @trophyhunter: It's called an opinion. It is not called a fact.

Meh. I really liked BC:R, but otherwise I could care less about what GRIN put out. I did like it when Ulf and Gunnar were on the Bombcast though. That episode is certainly in my top 15.
    SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SpecTackle

Reading Kotaku "news" secondhand is about as useful as... well, reading it firsthand, I guess.

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By calidan777

That sux,we really don't need anymore good devs going under because the less good developers there are the less good games we get.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By trophyhunter
    @calidan777 said:
    " That sux,we really don't need anymore good devs going under because the less good developers there are the less good games we get. "
    well yeah we don't want good devs going under
    ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#29  Edited By ZombiePie

Well if there is one thing that I can say about GRIN as a developer is that they always had interesting ideas, it's just that those ideas were never really implemented perfectly. Wanted and Bionic Commando had the potential to be great it's just that they weren't executed very well. For Wanted the game was too short and the bullet curving gameplay felt a little like a throw away. For Bionic Commando the swinging mechanic was good, once you got use to it, it's just that everything else was either janky or poorly thought out (and I include the story in the latter).

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By RHCPfan24
    Even if GRIN's last two outings were not that successful, I liked the guys who came on the Bombcast and they seemed to be down-to-earth, nice people. It would a shame not to have any of them again. 

@trophyhunter: Also, thanks for that spoiler dude. For someone who has been wanting to play the game but is waiting for a big price drop (which should happen soon) and has been dodging the internet spoilers, that is really appreciated. Congratulations.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mordukai

It is always sad to see a game development studio getting shot down.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that's a shame, I really enjoyed both those games for the small amoount of time I've played them 
    They seemed like really cool guys

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By trophyhunter
    @RHCPfan24 said:
    " Even if GRIN's last two outings were not that successful, I liked the guys who came on the Bombcast and they seemed to be down-to-earth, nice people. It would a shame not to have any of them again. 

@trophyhunter: Also, thanks for that spoiler dude. For someone who has been wanting to play the game but is waiting for a big price drop (which should happen soon) and has been dodging the internet spoilers, that is really appreciated. Congratulations. "
    its been 20 bucks for two months and really that does not spoil the story because there is no story and that has no bearing on it
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @gingertastic_10 said:
    He said Bionic Commando Rearmed dumbass. Bionic Commando Rearmed is a great remake of the original game. Also we all get the wifearm twist was dumb as fuck but, that does not mean you have to keep posting that.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By trophyhunter
    @ZombiePie said:
    " Well if there is one thing that I can say about GRIN as a developer is that they always had interesting ideas, it's just that those ideas were never really implemented perfectly. Wanted and Bionic Commando had the potential to be great it's just that they weren't executed very well. For Wanted the game was too short and the bullet curving gameplay felt a little like a throw away. For Bionic Commando the swinging mechanic was good, once you got use to it, it's just that everything else was either janky or poorly thought out (and I include the story in the latter). "
    how can they have interesting ideas when all the games they've made have been someone else's idea 
    BC was capcom's idea 
    wanted was a movie and comic book 
    terminator salvation was a movie first 
    that's like saying a movie based on a book is original
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By trophyhunter
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    " @gingertastic_10 said:
    He said Bionic Commando Rearmed dumbass. Bionic Commando Rearmed is a great remake of the original game. Also we all get the wifearm twist was dumb as fuck but, that does not mean you have to keep posting that. "
    well I was addressing the end part of his sentence
    gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By gingertastic_10
    @trophyhunter: Again not all of their work was someone elses idea. Their first two games they did were original and they got credit for that.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @ZombiePie said:
    " Well if there is one thing that I can say about GRIN as a developer is that they always had interesting ideas, it's just that those ideas were never really implemented perfectly. Wanted and Bionic Commando had the potential to be great it's just that they weren't executed very well. For Wanted the game was too short and the bullet curving gameplay felt a little like a throw away. For Bionic Commando the swinging mechanic was good, once you got use to it, it's just that everything else was either janky or poorly thought out (and I include the story in the latter). "
    how can they have interesting ideas when all the games they've made have been someone else's idea  BC was capcom's idea  wanted was a movie and comic book  terminator salvation was a movie first  that's like saying a movie based on a book is original "
    You obviously hate GRIN with a passion. I have no idea why. You can have original ideas in something that is based on someone else's original property.
    PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PowerSerj
    @JeffGoldblum: He's just rushed to meet his daily troll quota.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @PowerSerj said:
    " @JeffGoldblum: He's just rushed to meet his daily troll quota. "
    Exactly. Of all the things to troll against why GRIN? Did they developers who work there kill his parents?
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By trophyhunter
    @PowerSerj said:
    " @JeffGoldblum: He's just rushed to meet his daily troll quota. "
    well I posted this yesterday so its really leftovers
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By trophyhunter

I'm not really trolling I'm just saying that grin is almost dead because they make bad games that no one bought which are facts
    if I wanted to troll I'd bring up how much I hate valve and think they can't make a good game to save their lives

Majestic_XII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Majestic_XII

It's really sad to see GRIN go, I have a couple of friends who where forced to go in the first round of lay-offs. I don't know people in the management/design areas, but the people working with content is very, very skilled in what they do. Top talent all around.

I just hope some of them get together and start new companies, Sweden needs them! I know of one group who are going to try their wings, check them out at  http://www.outbreakstudios.se/, not much there at the moment though.

MatthewMeadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By MatthewMeadows

Their last 3 games bombed, it's a shame but if you make bad games then that'll happen.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Cheapoz

Too big too soon? 

I mean, BC:R was great, but does that give you licence to grow huge and make three big titles? No. No it doesn't. 

Slim down, make BC:R2, make a nice product.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By TheHBK

It must have been so weird for the Giant Bomb staff to have these guys visit only to have their games suck ass.  Yeah Wanted was definitely better than the movie, and did some interesting new stuff with the 3rd Person shooter genre.  I just won't forgive the shit they pulled with how badly they fucked up Terminator Salvation the game.  Fuck, seriously, why cant anyone make a game as memorable as the Arcade game?

otzlowe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By otzlowe
    @RHCPfan24 said:

" Even if GRIN's last two outings were not that successful, I liked the guys who came on the Bombcast and they seemed to be down-to-earth, nice people. It would a shame not to have any of them again. 

@trophyhunter: Also, thanks for that spoiler dude. For someone who has been wanting to play the game but is waiting for a big price drop (which should happen soon) and has been dodging the internet spoilers, that is really appreciated. Congratulations. "

Once you get behind the mask of the name, a lot of devs seem like awesome people. I've had some visits with devs before, particularly the Firaxis folks, and it's really not hard to find at least one person there who generally cares about what the gamer is getting from them. It really sucks to be seeing some companies tanking after getting unlucky or just not happening to put something out that captured the consumers. 

Not too thrilled about the spolier either, as I haven't played it either. Doesnt' sound too bad to me though, it could even be cool if it were spun a particular way. It's not far off from some of the absolutely crazy stuff that the Final Fantasy franchise has pulled. In seven, no less. 

@trophyhunter: 

You act like it's impossible to take a pre-existing world and concept and do something interesting with it, which is... not even close to true. It happens all the time. Just because you're making your story conform with the pre-established ways that that world exists and works doesn't mean that you can't do something unique with it. Most Superheroes "exist" in the same world, yet they're all (relatively) unique from one another, and the superhero world is most commonly based on our own. 

It's really not hard to find, and condemning them for a few games is a terrible view, since there are some companies who produce mostly bullshit. Start a thread about any of them. G.I. Joe just came out. Get busy.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By RHCPfan24
    @Otzlowe said:
    " @RHCPfan24 said:

Once you get behind the mask of the name, a lot of devs seem like awesome people. I've had some visits with devs before, particularly the Firaxis folks, and it's really not hard to find at least one person there who generally cares about what the gamer is getting from them. It really sucks to be seeing some companies tanking after getting unlucky or just not happening to put something out that captured the consumers.  Not too thrilled about the spolier either, as I haven't played it either. Doesnt' sound too bad to me though, it could even be cool if it were spun a particular way. It's not far off from some of the absolutely crazy stuff that the Final Fantasy franchise has pulled. In seven, no less. "
    Yeah, I heard the ending was mad crazy and stupid, so yeah it is a dumb twist. Still, I would have LIKED to play it myself and find out but, oh well, this is the Internet I guess.
    gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By gingertastic_10
    @Otzlowe said:
    " @RHCPfan24 said:

Once you get behind the mask of the name, a lot of devs seem like awesome people. I've had some visits with devs before, particularly the Firaxis folks, and it's really not hard to find at least one person there who generally cares about what the gamer is getting from them. It really sucks to be seeing some companies tanking after getting unlucky or just not happening to put something out that captured the consumers.  Not too thrilled about the spolier either, as I haven't played it either. Doesnt' sound too bad to me though, it could even be cool if it were spun a particular way. It's not far off from some of the absolutely crazy stuff that the Final Fantasy franchise has pulled. In seven, no less. "
    Luckily Otzlowe, to me that wasn't really the only big event of the story. There are some other twist that are quiet cool. I enjoyed the story. I've seen worse.
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#50  Edited By Griddler
    @trophyhunter: Thanks man, I was coming on this thread to contribute to the conversation and you've just crapped up Bionic Commando which I was going to get next week with your completely unnecessary spoiler, nice going.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.