Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Legacy of Ys: Books I & II

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Feb 24, 2009

A compilation of the DS remakes of Ys I & II bundled together on one cartridge.

Atlus Knows How To Announce A Delay

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    I'm not a fan of just posting press releases to the site. We're supposed to distill this stuff into something that helps you make sense of it all. That's why we're here. If you wanted to read press releases you'd just... well, you'd just set all the same Google Alerts that everyone who writes news stories about games does. Hmm. That really makes most news "reporting" sound pretty soulless, doesn't it?

Anyway, this Atlus release, detailing the premium packaging that will come with the first run of Legacy of Ys: Books I & II for the DS while simultaneously announcing a two-week delay, is quality work. If I ever found myself in a PR position and had to write press releases, I'd like to think these are the sorts ot things I would write. Here:

EVERY LAUNCH COPY OF LEGACY OF Ys™: BOOKS I & II FOR NINTENDO DS™ TO BE A PREMIUM BOXED RELEASE WITH SOUNDTRACK INCLUDED, ATLUS ANNOUNCES; ALSO, GAME DELAYED TWO WEEKS, BUT NO ONE CARES BECAUSE BOXED RELEASES ARE AWESOME

Atlus quickly slips new release date of February 24th, then deftly avoids questions

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA - JANUARY 28, 2009 - Atlus U.S.A., Inc., the only publisher that makes it look oh-so-Ys-ee, today announced that Legacy of Ys™: Books I & II for Nintendo DS™ will ship two weeks later than originally scheduled, now slated to bump into retail stores on February 24, 2009. This was of course immediately accepted because this delay would allow for each and every launch copy of the game to magically transform into a premium boxed release, with the soundtrack CD-formerly intended as a pre-order bonus-to physically be included with each and every copy of the game's first print run.

This unexpected upgrade signals the return of Atlus Spoils, a fan appreciation campaign intended to give a little extra something to the company's faithful followers as a thank you for their continued support. The program is planned to remain active indefinitely during 2009, meaning fans can expect additional bonuses and extras in future Atlus releases throughout the year.

"While we're never eager to announce delays for our products," began Tim Pivnicny, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Atlus, "we are incredibly excited to be able to upgrade the final release of Legacy of Ys to a premium boxed package. The soundtrack CD, once a bonus for pre-orders, is now going to be offered to everyone who picks up a copy from the game's limited first print run."

One of the most heralded action RPG franchises of all time, Legacy of Ys: Books I & II delivers the first two epic adventures of the famed saga on one cartridge, presented with a series of never-before-seen enhancements. Now, the finished North American launch will be available in a special boxed release, with a soundtrack CD featuring the game's famed score included with each and every copy of the game's first print run.

Legacy of Ys: Books I & II is now scheduled for release on February 24, 2009, with an MSRP of $34.99.

No Caption Provided
    Also, you damned kids might not be old enough to remember, but Ys is totally "cherry." Is that how you kids are saying it these days? Get off my lawn!
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    I'm not a fan of just posting press releases to the site. We're supposed to distill this stuff into something that helps you make sense of it all. That's why we're here. If you wanted to read press releases you'd just... well, you'd just set all the same Google Alerts that everyone who writes news stories about games does. Hmm. That really makes most news "reporting" sound pretty soulless, doesn't it?

Anyway, this Atlus release, detailing the premium packaging that will come with the first run of Legacy of Ys: Books I & II for the DS while simultaneously announcing a two-week delay, is quality work. If I ever found myself in a PR position and had to write press releases, I'd like to think these are the sorts ot things I would write. Here:

EVERY LAUNCH COPY OF LEGACY OF Ys™: BOOKS I & II FOR NINTENDO DS™ TO BE A PREMIUM BOXED RELEASE WITH SOUNDTRACK INCLUDED, ATLUS ANNOUNCES; ALSO, GAME DELAYED TWO WEEKS, BUT NO ONE CARES BECAUSE BOXED RELEASES ARE AWESOME

Atlus quickly slips new release date of February 24th, then deftly avoids questions

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA - JANUARY 28, 2009 - Atlus U.S.A., Inc., the only publisher that makes it look oh-so-Ys-ee, today announced that Legacy of Ys™: Books I & II for Nintendo DS™ will ship two weeks later than originally scheduled, now slated to bump into retail stores on February 24, 2009. This was of course immediately accepted because this delay would allow for each and every launch copy of the game to magically transform into a premium boxed release, with the soundtrack CD-formerly intended as a pre-order bonus-to physically be included with each and every copy of the game's first print run.

This unexpected upgrade signals the return of Atlus Spoils, a fan appreciation campaign intended to give a little extra something to the company's faithful followers as a thank you for their continued support. The program is planned to remain active indefinitely during 2009, meaning fans can expect additional bonuses and extras in future Atlus releases throughout the year.

"While we're never eager to announce delays for our products," began Tim Pivnicny, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Atlus, "we are incredibly excited to be able to upgrade the final release of Legacy of Ys to a premium boxed package. The soundtrack CD, once a bonus for pre-orders, is now going to be offered to everyone who picks up a copy from the game's limited first print run."

One of the most heralded action RPG franchises of all time, Legacy of Ys: Books I & II delivers the first two epic adventures of the famed saga on one cartridge, presented with a series of never-before-seen enhancements. Now, the finished North American launch will be available in a special boxed release, with a soundtrack CD featuring the game's famed score included with each and every copy of the game's first print run.

Legacy of Ys: Books I & II is now scheduled for release on February 24, 2009, with an MSRP of $34.99.

No Caption Provided
    Also, you damned kids might not be old enough to remember, but Ys is totally "cherry." Is that how you kids are saying it these days? Get off my lawn!
    KristoferK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By KristoferK

Yes.

OldManLollipop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By OldManLollipop

That's not how I say it but I'll humor you.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#4  Edited By LordAndrew

If it gets me a neato soundtrack CD, that's just fine with me.

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By mattbodega

Boxed copies ARE awesome!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#6  Edited By LordAndrew
    MattBodega said:
    "Boxed copies ARE awesome!"
    Especially for DS games. I guess the Luminous Arc 2 package worked well for them.
    Blitz82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Blitz82

hm...I like it.

FalcomAdol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By FalcomAdol

I really enjoyed Ys on the Master System, and I enjoyed it again, along with Ys2, 3, and 4 on the Duo.

I won't be enjoying it again on my DS though, since I gave it to my little cousin for Christmas.  She had an N64 kid moment, and I was really glad that I chose to give it to her, since it wasn't getting much attention from me as I no longer have a commute (or a job :()

Lilarcor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Lilarcor

I never played Ys growing up, but I'm assuming cherry means... good?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Jayge_

*Please* have something like this for Mana Khemia.

Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jared

I'll be honest....I have no idea what this game is about!

gribb85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gribb85

Is it wrong that the boxed copy actually makes me want the game more? Never heard of Ys before, but now I am interested...kinda.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By DukeTogo

Y's is one of the few constants in video games, it's always there and you never seem to dislike it no matter how many times it gets released on another platform.

Y's is playable online through some of the casual game hubs that your mom plays Scrabble Blast on.

For the true Y's experience play the Turbo CD games, they are considered the best iterations of series with by far the best music and arguably the best voice work in a game until MGS came along some 8 years later.  It also is the best $8 you can spend on the Virtual Console.

Jaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jaded

I upgraded from a TG-16 to a TurboDuo to play this game... that add-on cd player was so clunky...

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Kyle

I can't imagine there have been many press release headlines better than that one.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By PureRok

I don't even own a DS and I'm tempted to buy this game.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By RenegadeSaint

Oh Atlus, how I love ye.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Axersia

Great, now I'll be able to get the soundtrack as well when I wouldn't have before since Amazon doesn't take my money.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#19  Edited By Brackynews

That shit is downright "pivnicny".

CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CreamyGoodness

yay. or not. what the fuck is this game

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Systech

When are we going to get that DS Betamax player that Nintendo's been promising for years?

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Red

Atlus is awesome. I don't dig too many of their games but they're really just about the fans: something we don't see much anymore.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MrKlorox

I think this is great! There has been a distinct void in premium fan packaging since Working Designs closed shop.

Johanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Johanz

Ys 1 and 2 are awesome.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By RHCPfan24

It is nice to see big companies have a soul, and the PR rep at Atlus is pretty cool. The whole "leaked on ESRB.org" statement they did also was hilarious.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By JJOR64

That girl is sexy.  lol

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#27  Edited By TobyD81

Somewhere, a PR guy loves his job, and that's wonderful.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Media_Master

Never heard of it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.