Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

MW2 is Techniocally Better, But COD4 Was More Fun

• 61 results
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By asurastrike

I'm having a lot less fun with MW2 than I did with COD4, even though I agree that MW2 does almost everything better. I think it's because COD4 was something new, and MW2 feel like "more COD4".

In fact, playing MW2 makes me want to go back and play COD4.

Does anyone else feel this way?

EDIT: I made a typo in the title "Technically".

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By flaminghobo

Yes, I feel this way. Though I wouldn't want to go back and play COD4.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64

MW2 is basically the same as CoD4 with some extra stuff.  That can be awesome for some but, also a turn off for some.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TwoOneFive

i still enjoy cod4 S&D the most because i know that game so well now. and with MW2 i really dont feel like starting over. 

Nogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nogert
    I don't know why you think it's less fun, you should say, because I think it's technically better and equally as fun, if not more because of the new maps.
    Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Siris

Huge turn off if you were hoping MW2 would be something MORE.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

Personally I think the MW1 maps were much better, but other than that, can't agree with you there. 
    To each their own though.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Red12b

I agree, The thing is MW1 came out as a surprise, MW2 has a shit load of hype, It's a good game, It's just got the same effect that Killzone had for me, Not as good as the Hype, It's still brilliant though, Same as Killzone That is brilliant too,

I am having trouble adjusting from Killzone controlls, I want to snipe but I slash my knife, Anoying as hell...

eezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By eezo

i agree 100%, i mean yeah sure it looks nice and well they fixed some issues, but... 

i play the game and all i can think about is "wow... this is so fucking boring, iv'e done this 6times allready!"
    Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cheapoz

Agree, the "fun" isn't here in MW2.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By asurastrike
    @OwnlyUzinWonHan said:

" Personally I think the MW1 maps were much better, but other than that, can't agree with you there. To each their own though. "

That's one of the things, I think the maps were way better in COD4. But I also thought the SP campaign was better. I had to read a wiki to figure out exactly what happened in MW2 after I beat it.
    Shibbxyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Shibbxyz
    @Red12b said:
    "

I agree, The thing is MW1 came out as a surprise, MW2 has a shit load of hype, It's a good game, It's just got the same effect that Killzone had for me, Not as good as the Hype, It's still brilliant though, Same as Killzone That is brilliant too,

I am having trouble adjusting from Killzone controlls, I want to snipe but I slash my knife, Anoying as hell...

"

Im also slashing with my knife at wrong times cause of killzone controls xD
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By get2sammyb

I also concur. Talking just about the single-player, Modern Warfare 2 is evidently trying way too hard where CoD4 was allowed to surprise. Obviously, the element of surprise is lost because of the game being hyped to hell, and not necessarily the fault of IW -- but I feel like they tried way, way, wayyyy too hard to shock people in MW2 and the narrative just becomes a mess because of that.

Technically the game part of it is better (the multiplayer is a definite step up), but the single-player, while still good, is a big disappointment in my opinion.

TheDoorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By TheDoorman

I like the multi player better, yeah there are some maps I dont like but there is so much more weapons and attachments and camos. 
    The new killstreaks are fun. MW 2 is much better than cod 4 in my opinion.
    v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By v

i thought that they were both really fun, but both me and my roommate agree that sometimes, the kill streaks that people make can get a little out of control to the point where it makes the match a little less fun.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Shadow

I didn't like the end of the game's story at all.  The multiplayer though....holy fuckmonkeys is the multiplayer awesome.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Al3xand3r

I just got done playing some of the single player missions. There were some pretty cool additions (like the riot shield dudes) but overall it feels like an expansion pack. The PC version is a joke I guess, clearly a mere console port with blurry environment textures (despite still having the "extra" setting) and no great effects, just lots and lots of standard particle effects, no volumetric anything that I can tell, not even when in the thick dust clouds produced by vehicles ahead. Almost every surface seems to have a weird plastic shine to it and the shadows look like stencil shadows with really sharp edges. I can see why this is impressive running on 60 fps on the 360 and the like but on PC it's just okay. Gameplay wise I guess I shouldn't judge it yet, there were some nice set pieces already but nothing all that spectacular, but it's pretty early. Here's a random screenshot, it's the level I'm on now. Save it to view it whole if it's too wide for that. You can also open this in a new window. Max settings, 4xAA (can/will go higher).

So, yeah, not impressive at all as you can see.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By crunchUK

I don't know about that. in COD4... 

The single player is far too easy on anything but veteran 

Veteran is like having anal pinecone sex 

The multiplayer is tedious and uninteresting after 4 games 

I haven't played modern warfare 2 yet but i will eventually, just saying it's not exactly hard to be better than COD4 in my eyes.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Al3xand3r

Then you'll be disapointed. Why are you even interested in this? It's more of the same with a new-ish lick of paint.

Butters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Butters

The actual gameplay and new features are much better in MW2. And overall it is a much better game the only thing I do not like are the maps, maybe its only cause I'm not used to the maps yet but I seemed to enjoy the COD4 maps alot more.

unr3al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By unr3al

CoD4 is sooo much better. MW2 has to many campers going for "big killstreaks" maps are too huge and unoriginal, mw1 maps were so unique with sweet little niches like grandmas house and top of the roof in pipeline, maps were so memorable, in mw2 too much crap in multiplayer and maps just get old along with gameplay.  the gameplay online is waaaay too fast and not as smooth as 4. i wouldve been happier with new prestiges in cod4 and some new maps, not a whole 'nother game that trys too hard. BRING BACK COD4 COOLNESS!
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LiquidPrince

It's so funny how much negative hate this game is suddenly getting. No from this thread necessarily, but in general.

denryu12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By denryu12

I don't see  problems with campers in MW2, i mean it gives you the tools to find them much easier (heatbeat sensor is a god send). Rather than the old COD4 way of memorize all the spots on all the maps that campers use frequently, Then when you go thru that part of the map pray to god you get the first shot on them, Other wise it was a frantic mash on the respawn button before running back to the same spot to get revenge,Which is is alot more annoying than sticking an attachment on your gun.  

Anyway back on topic  i think they have streamlined MW2 in all the smart places as far as the multiplayer goes,the only gripes i have is with the single-player just with the lack of explaining anything other than "Right shits going down! heres a gun! this guy is bad,go". I really liked how in the first game they told you the motives of all the villans even how the main bad guy lost his arm which you as the player blew off with a 50.cal good times! I just thought the whole shepard thing was a bit too much for my tastes.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By grilledcheez

I agree that it wasn't fun and I wasn't having fun playing it...so I got Assassin's Creed 2...now I'm having fun. :)

danguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By danguy

Give it some time to get used to. And it is Modern Warfare 2 so you should be similar to the first one.

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Giantsquirrel

Really? You had more fun fighting 100% headshot accurate never-ending respawn terrorists in 4?

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By asurastrike
    @Giantsquirrel said:
    " Really? You had more fun fighting 100% headshot accurate never-ending respawn terrorists in 4? "
    I played on Normal mode, so it was never really a problem.
    eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By eric_buck
    @Asurastrike: *sigh* I came on this thread purely to correct your typo. You beat me to it.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I think COD4 had a better campaign. Not that I dislike MW2's, but it really failed to wrap things up in the end and left me feeling a little short-changed. I still think the game is excellent, though, but it didn't have quite the impact that COD4 did. Sure, it doesn't reinvent the wheel, but in all honesty, after how well received COD4 was... did anyone want that? I certainly don't think so. Infinity Ward managed to make a great follow-up that will keep most of us busy for months and months.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheGreatGuero said:
    "I think COD4 had a better campaign. Not that I dislike MW2's, but it really failed to wrap things up in the end and left me feeling a little short-changed.
    Yeah, in terms of the campaigns, I feel the CoD 4 v. Modern Warfare 2 is sort of like the Batman Begins v. The Dark Knight argument. The totality of the former is more complete, more organized, much more keenly paced and plotted, whereas the latter has bigger more ostentatious (not necessarily worse) set pieces, more exhilarating moments, and more holes in its narrative.  
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CornontheCobbe

In essence i feel the same... But i don't think I'd go back and play COD4 though.

MW2 had a much better Campaign over COD4, but i think the On-line action is where people may want to go back to COD4.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ArchScabby

No it wasn't

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lemon360

This is like Gears 1 vs Gears 2. Cod4 is definitely better.

Avatar image for deactivated-589899fbf34c7
    deactivated-589899fbf34c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i love both games. but i have to say that the sudden disappearance of lean could have made the game perfect for me. fuck infinity ward.

u03mja3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By u03mja3

MW2 Multiplayer is better in a lot of ways than COD4. Yet I agree with the threads tagline. MW2 is just not fun. Dont get me wrong, the new weapons are fun, the character classes are brilliantly customizable, less random grenade deaths, no juggernaut etc. But im just not feeling it. As others have mentioned, I think that the kill streaks have become the game. I have been In a  Domination game where the losing team had five times the number of kills of the winning team, because none of the losing team players were capturing flags. They were all just camping for thier AC130's.  One thing that i loved about COD4 was the rush for the helicopter killstreak. Since only one person in the game could have a helicopter at any one time, people couldnt just camp and wait for kills to come to them, but they had to run around like a mad dog getting kills quickly. For those who think that they cant go back to COD4, just give it a little try. I played some this evening, and I suddenly remembered why I have been playing it for nearly 2 years.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MAST
    @unr3al said:
    " CoD4 is sooo much better."
    I really don't get these type of comments... You guys remember Jeff talking about how people go to extremes with their opinions on games, but the truth is always somewhere in the middle? That's basically how it is with MW2. Call of Duty 4 isn't "SOOO MUCH BETTER" then Modern Warfare 2, and MW2 isn't 1,000x better then Call of Duty 4. It's somewhere in the middle. It's a competent, iterative sequel to a game. It works. It makes a lot of improvements, and nothing is blatantly worse. Albeit, there are some things from Call of Duty 4 that a person might like a little better (ie. I like the maps from CoD4 more then MW2, as well as the weapon unlock order), but none of that is a huge deal. It's just little things.

To go to extremes and say MW2 is the greatest FPS of all time, or to say that it's WAAAAY worse then CoD4, basically just shows how nonsensical your opinion is.
    MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MAST
    @u03mja3 said:
    "I think that the kill streaks have become the game."
    Oh, and to those complaining about kill streaks. That is just another hunk of nonsense. Almost all kill streaks can be countered, and/or shot down. If you hate those things, all you have to do is equip a AT4-HS (Launcher), choose Ninja, and Cold-Blooded as a perk, and boom... You pretty much don't have to worry about 90% of the streaks anymore, and you also don't have to be concerned with heartbeat sensors. You won't show up anymore. Nor will you show up for Predator Missiles, the AC-130, etc. And you can shoot those same things down with your launcher.
    Now, I know there are some out there that love to use excuses like "I shouldn't have to waste perk/weapons slots for those kind of things..." Umm, yeah. You do. The whole point of perks should be to compliment your weaknesses. So if kill streaks are the main thing that you get killed by, then you should be using what is available to you in order to counter them. Same with enemies using the heartbeat sensor. If that always seems to be what you are getting killed by, then do something about it. There are things in place to counter almost everything in this game.

I think the real issue here is all the gaming simpletons. Its kinda like how there are people out there that can't handle RTS games because there is just too many things to worry about all at the same time. MW2 has had a ton of stuff added to it. Things that you have to remain aware of every second. CoD4 was much more simple, had much less to it, and thus was easier to play. It was basically just "run around and shoot your gun at dudes." MW2 is much more then that, and just because you were able to handle CoD4, doesn't mean you will be able to handle MW2.
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By Karmum

Totally feel this way. I felt like this with the first and second Gears of Wars, too.

I've just seen it already, so I already know what's happening. I'm still having a fun time with it, but it isn't bring the original "wow" factor like COD4 did.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By gearhead

I agree.

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

Having never played COD4, MW2 was epic.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jimbo

Pretty much.  MW2 in '09 isn't at all comparable to CoD4 in '07.

I don't think we've really had anything like that in '09 tbh.  There were probably a half dozen more impressive and/or influential games in '07 than anything I've seen this year.  It's been a decent year for good games, but a weak year for what I consider to be GOTY-calibre games.  I can't think of anything I would be particularly enthusiastic about calling GOTY '09.

u03mja3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By u03mja3
    @MAST: You have misunderstood my problem with the game. I do not think that kill streaks are over powered, nor did I say this. If anything, I find myself being killed by kill streak bonus substancially less in MW2. My problem with the kill streaks is that many players are playing the game with just thier kill streak bonus in mind. By that I mean they are not concered with winning a match, team play etc but thier only goal is to get thier kill streak bonus. Of course not everyone playing MW2 is like this but I believe that the coolness factor (for want of a better phrase) of the kill streak bonuses has overshadowed what made COD4 fun in the first place.
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By super_machine

Yes I agree. I'm not a fan of the new Kill streak rewards and some of the weapon attachments. 

Here is my impression of why I like this game less than COD4 as if from the perspective of half the people playing online.

Waiting in a corner is hard, but I have the skillz for it. I pwn!...Thump thump, thump thump, red blips on screen! Blamm blamm blamm you're dead noob!

My biggest gripe about that is, that it takes less skill to play that way, yet people like that are rewarded for it.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

actually i'm having more fun with mw2 then i ever did with cod4....

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I couldn't agree more. CoD4 was a great deal more fun than MW2 i think. I actually find myself getting frustrated when i play MW2 on-line as there are so many more campers and ways to die. (Air-support is definitely a bitch)

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By VisariLoyalist

you are crazy!

imhuntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By imhuntad

First, I agree that the game is a bit less fun. The killstreaks, despite what anyone says, are overpowered. End of story. Just because something has a counter does not mean they aren't overpowered. Having to change classes and ruin YOUR killstreak because an enemy is getting 10 kills in a row is less fun than sitting on broken glass. Also, if you have rockets in your main class, you are simply gimped as you have no weapon to switch to if you run out of ammo. And yes, everyone is only concerned about their killstreaks. It's kinda funny, because the whole reason I played cod 4 over halo 3 is because there were so many boosters and griefers in halo 3 due to the ranking system. Now in MW2, there is so much crap that everytime someone gets a chopper gunner or ac 130 I usually just leave game. By the time anyone shoots them down, they have already aquired 7-10 kills.  

Second, to whoever says that they are NOT overpowered is just defending the game out of some blind devotion. The game has problems that need to be acknowledged and this is one of them. When everyone needs to stop everything they are doing just to take down enemy air support that takes 4 rockets to take down, there is a problem. If a certain 3 killstreak rewards were taken out, this game would be worlds better. All in all, yes, MW2 is less fun than CoD 4.

u03mja3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By u03mja3
    @imhuntad said:

"  enemy air support that takes 4 rockets to take down, there is a problem. . "
    I totally agree with you there. Due to the fact that many people are playing random matches with strangers there is no coordination or sense of team effort to shooting down air support. So many times I have switched to my rocket launcher class and fired off a rocket to take down the air support and no one on my team will help. I think the kill streak rewards in this game have had the nasty (and completely unintentional on behalf of Infinity Wards) side effect of bringing out peoples selfishness. No one wants to risk losing their kill streak to help the team. 

That said I don't think there is anything wrong with the game per say, just the attitudes of many people who play the game. [Note:I understand fully that some people still genuinely play for fun, and not everyone plays so selfishly. I hope to meet more of the former in future games]

Zuul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Zuul
    @V said:
    " i thought that they were both really fun, but both me and my roommate agree that sometimes, the kill streaks that people make can get a little out of control to the point where it makes the match a little less fun. "
    This is exactly the reason why I think that CoD 4 is still a better game. Because of the insane killstreaks, you are just getting constantly spawn killed while trying to shoot down a chopper or a harrier. And in order to get these killstreaks you must remain alive, which causes the game to become a campfest...
    Zuul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Zuul
    @u03mja3 said:
    " MW2 Multiplayer is better in a lot of ways than COD4. Yet I agree with the threads tagline. MW2 is just not fun. Dont get me wrong, the new weapons are fun, the character classes are brilliantly customizable, less random grenade deaths, no juggernaut etc. But im just not feeling it. As others have mentioned, I think that the kill streaks have become the game. I have been In a  Domination game where the losing team had five times the number of kills of the winning team, because none of the losing team players were capturing flags. They were all just camping for thier AC130's.  One thing that i loved about COD4 was the rush for the helicopter killstreak. Since only one person in the game could have a helicopter at any one time, people couldnt just camp and wait for kills to come to them, but they had to run around like a mad dog getting kills quickly. For those who think that they cant go back to COD4, just give it a little try. I played some this evening, and I suddenly remembered why I have been playing it for nearly 2 years. "
    This

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.