E3 2012 - Nintendo Press Conference Discussion

#301 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

Wow, that conference was just... wow. Well, I was worried Nintendo was going to sell me on the Wii-U with a great StarFox game or a nice new Zelda, but at least now I can wait for a price drop or two.

What is really surprising is the lack of denial and tears from the Nintendo fans. There are a couple sure, but I expected a bit more of an outrage. Good job guys.

#302 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@Vinny_Says: No price, no date.

really, what was the point of it all then?

#303 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
Have you seen this franchise? Last spotted in 2009; hasn't been seen since.
#304 Posted by Patman99 (1619 posts) -

Man there are some jaded negative nellys here. I found every conference I watched (did not watch EA) was pretty good except for Microsoft. Nintendo showed some cool games, and gave a little bit of insight on the WiiU, Sony demoed some cool looking games, and Ubisoft was the most surprising showing stunning games like Rayman Legends and Watch Dog. I feel like it's easy to rag on the often times cheesy presentations that the companies give but I challenge anyone who bitches about it to do better. Some companies even tried to use a professional actor/host in the past and that ended up being worse than just the businessmen. Also I feel like some users see the GB staff poke fun at some of the conferences and feel like they need to imitate them. Let the journalists be sceptical while we as the consumers and hobbyists be filled with whimsy and wonder.... I SAID BE FILLED WITH WHIMSY AND WONDER, DAMNIT!

We are watching a video game conference, not an action movie or concert. For the hour and a half of each conference, I feel like they crammed as many games as they could have. I say this in exception to Microsoft who absolutely bored me to tears. Also, the NintendoLand demo did run way too long but in general I feel like Ubi, Nintendo, and Sony did great jobs at getting me hyped for the future of the industry. Overall, Nintendo did alright, I am excited for the 3DS's future but would like to see more on the WiiU launch games.

#305 Posted by Fortenium (102 posts) -

"Here's Pikmin, and here's Mario. Enjoy the filler."

Summary of the entire conference today.

#306 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

This is rich. Depending on who you are, Nintendo's presentation was with all right, or a sign of the end of days.

#307 Posted by byterunner (314 posts) -

Well I was at work so i didn't see the conference. Anyone got an archive of it? And from what I've heard, I'm not surprised but I'm not disappointed either...I'm just kinda, yep that's nintendo.

@Hailinel: Well I think this conference was going to be a very decisive conference for nintendo. It was the only one with new hardware and a lot of people were going to use it to tell if they wanted a wiiu or not. And you know gamers, always on the extremes.

#308 Posted by Pezen (1656 posts) -

Most of it wasn't for me, and I felt sort of ready to drop my built up reservation regarding Nintendo and yet they turn it all into the same Sony did, too much time spent on completely uninteresting things. But aside from the funny based on the awkward, there was simply not much I have any interest in. Glad to see Nintendo doing something to reclaim some lost "core" parts anyway.

#309 Posted by Dixavd (1367 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Fire Emblem has a new title on the 3DS - it came out in Japan in April and is coming out internationally later this year.

And liklihood is it will be talked about at the 3DS-only conference tomorrow (especially since they teased KH 3D for it which is also already out in Japan).

#310 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Dixavd said:

@Video_Game_King: Fire Emblem has a new title on the 3DS - it came out in Japan in April and is coming out internationally later this year.

I'm aware of Kakusei, but I would still like an announcement for an American release. Too much of a hassle to buy European when every other console you own is American.

#311 Posted by DeadlyWolverine (32 posts) -

I hope the 3DS gets more RPGs, those are what I really enjoy on the go. That's not to say games like Shinobi aren't great. But I'm tired of Kingdom Hearts, Mickey Mouse, and Mario. We need a variety of games, and more quality third-party support should come soon.

#312 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4897 posts) -

@Vinny_Says said:

@Cloudenvy said:

They said they wouldn't be talking either in advance.

#313 Posted by Dixavd (1367 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Yeah that is totally resonable. Just wait until after the conference tomorrow to bring it up. Nintendo said that this wouldn't focus on 3DS titles much and the presentation tomorrow is solely-based on it so if they are to announce those things then it will be tomorrow.

#314 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

They had better show Animal Crossing tomorrow, dammit.

#315 Posted by tablefloor (28 posts) -

They keep talking about wanting to re-capture the "hardcore" gamers, but then they show old, shit and casual games off again.

On top of that, we still don't really know the capabilities of the consoles, and whether the online works properly. I also don't really know why I'd buy this, when I already have an Xbox and PS3. GIVE ME A REASON NINTENDO

#316 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4847 posts) -

Well, at least it wasn't as oh-god-I-want-to-tear-my-eyeballs-out bad as Microsoft or Sony.

E3 needs some big guns: Get Valve and Blizzard to do a conference next year.

#317 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4847 posts) -

Real? Probably not. Glorious? Yes.

#318 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3821 posts) -

@SJSchmidt93 said:

@Vinny_Says said:

@Cloudenvy said:

They said they wouldn't be talking either in advance.

#319 Posted by DeadlyWolverine (32 posts) -

@GunslingerPanda: There's always tomorrow evening, then we will know.

#320 Posted by DarkbeatDK (1347 posts) -

I had to make this. Check out this hot new trailer for the most anticipated Wii U game

#321 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@DarkbeatDK: That was awesome.
#322 Posted by Coafi (1490 posts) -

@DarkbeatDK: I gotta admit, that was great! He really did sound like he was giving birth, my god!

#323 Posted by ClarkKent360 (3 posts) -

I actually thought Nintendo might do well after slightly disappointing conferences from Sony and Microsoft but seriously it was a joke. I can't think of any reason to buy Batman, ME3 on Wii U. Batman was out last year and they were going on like it was a blockbuster new release!?

Surely most people are now bored of the same Mario games every year. I thought they would come up with something different in terms of first party games and not even a mention of Zelda or Smash Bros. I definitely won't be picking up a Wii U, seems like it will be another major disappointment after the original Wii. Nintendo should go back to making Game boys and give up on this generation. Sony and MS are way ahead.

#324 Posted by Dafub (72 posts) -

That was the worst pre E3 press conference showing off a new and soon to be released console I've ever seen.

Did anyone else notice the complete absence of both EA and activision at the event?

Pikmin felt like a Wii game hurridly ported to the system.

Remember what happened to SAGA when EA would not release sports games on the Dream cast.....shudder.

The conference felt like a train wreck.

#325 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4981 posts) -
@Dafub said:

That was the worst pre E3 press conference showing off a new and soon to be released console I've ever seen.

Did anyone else notice the complete absence of both EA and activision at the event?

Pikmin felt like a Wii game hurridly ported to the system.

Remember what happened to SAGA when EA would not release sports games on the Dream cast.....shudder.

The conference felt like a train wreck.

No, I do not remember what happened to SAGA. Please elaborate some more!
#326 Posted by dudeglove (8151 posts) -

Bravo, Reggie, for embracing your meme status.

#327 Posted by dudeglove (8151 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

They never betrayed you, you betrayed them.

Yup. They got you in the 90s, and now they're after your kids. If you have kids. If you don't... uh... well, Alec Guinness put it best.

#328 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

Too many ports, not enough star fox, I'm still waiting Nintendo.

#329 Posted by Ducksworth (662 posts) -

Are peach's skirt physics too much for WiiU as well?

#330 Edited by me3639 (1837 posts) -

Dont worry Nintendo fans full spin control from every gaming site is underway. Whats the big deal if Nintedno fails? i havent played a Nintendo title in over 20 years and i know i havent missed anything. Indie develpoers and ios can replace tired ideas for a lot cheaper price.

#331 Posted by DeadlyWolverine (32 posts) -

@Ducksworth:I agree with you tremendously, citing the piece ''Nintendo is Lazy and you don't care''. If they were truly not lazy, they would have created a true next-gen console, gotten a head-start on this home platform race, and had an HD Zelda to present us with. But no, Pimkin will definitely demonstrate the true horse-power behind the Wii-U, I'm sure.

Miyamoto needs to remember the hardcore gamer crowd, all we saw was casual stuff.

#332 Posted by Wakka (80 posts) -

That is pure freaking gold.

#333 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

@DeadlyWolverine said:

@Ducksworth:I agree with you tremendously, citing the piece ''Nintendo is Lazy and you don't care''. If they were truly not lazy, they would have created a true next-gen console, gotten a head-start on this home platform race, and had an HD Zelda to present us with. But no, Pimkin will definitely demonstrate the true horse-power behind the Wii-U, I'm sure.

Miyamoto needs to remember the hardcore gamer crowd, all we saw was casual stuff.

I Don't think a New Zelda would have been a better idea. Considering one JUST came out last year for a console and Pikmin hasn't seen a follow-up since the gamecube almost 10 years ago.

I dunno. I'm not sold on the system but It's still nothing wrong with it. I mean at least they're trying something.

The 3DS had an aweful launch as well and that turned out fine. As well as it's a new console, there's no way that it's going to push out its graphical capabilities to it's max. As well as some 3rd party titles do look good for it. Here's hoping they stay afloat. I can imagine what a world without Nintendo would be like, and it's not pretty.

#334 Posted by Zacagawea (1609 posts) -

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO NINTENDO GUYS

#335 Posted by Gunslinger0130 (228 posts) -
@DarkbeatDK:  
That was amazing.
#336 Posted by jump_button (3 posts) -

They only show Wii U launch lineup, that really odd thing to do they really should show thing coming they need to wow everyone I hope we see more as it get closer we need to know they more coming

#337 Posted by dudeglove (8151 posts) -

why haven't you posted your wonderful creation all over this site?

#338 Posted by Athadam (702 posts) -

@DarkbeatDK said:

I had to make this. Check out this hot new trailer for the most anticipated Wii U game

You are a genius.

#339 Posted by AndrewB (7686 posts) -

So when is the E3 press conference supplemental for the 3DS?

#340 Posted by Sparklykiss (1983 posts) -
@AndrewB

So when is the E3 press conference supplemental for the 3DS?

It's today at 6pm PDT last I checked.
#341 Posted by ProfessorEss (7469 posts) -
@DarkbeatDK said:

I take it all back. Best E3 EVAR!!
#342 Posted by AndrewB (7686 posts) -

@Sparklykiss: Awesome. Thanks!

#343 Posted by Tan (425 posts) -

Anyone see that Gametrailers interview about the WiiU? No more friend codes apparently, we're onto accounts.

#344 Edited by DeadlyWolverine (32 posts) -

@zityz: Yeah, I'm pretty sure Pimkin is going to push a few of the Wii-U consoles, but whether or not its fan-base is as rampant as that of Zelda is questionable at best. I'm not going to lie, if they had announced Zelda, I would have been the first to jump on the hype train. You don't buy Nintendo systems to play third-party games, you buy them to play their awesome first party intellectual property. Why tease us with a Zelda tech-demo last year, and show up empty-handed this time around? I'm not sold on the system either, first and foremost because of the lacking software, and secondly because there's no price-tag set yet.

I hate wandering into the depths of a cavern without a torchlight.

I'm also pretty excited for the 3DS conference, and how it will possibly reveal a few more juicy exclusives. On the other hand, it could bring us the 3DS redesign we've all been waiting for, the screen is very small and I have to squint in order to use it, not to mention the viewing angle is dire.

#345 Posted by MAGZine (438 posts) -

@DeadlyWolverine: zelda is certainly coming. just give it some time. maybe even with a zelda branded wiiu?

#346 Edited by DeadlyWolverine (32 posts) -

@MAGZine: Indefinitely, however, what they had to show me was underwhelming, and won't propel me to invest at launch. It seems their ambassador registry will need an update to lure consumers in. Then again, it's a good bathroom scale console, I'm sure everyone needs an upgraded weight estimator; a whopping 43 million people invested in the Wii-Fit.

That was absolutely hilarious.

#347 Posted by Ducksworth (662 posts) -

Well, hopefully the 3DS presentation will show off some good software and the rumoured new model. The feed has already started!

#348 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

So are we using this for the 3DS conference?

#349 Posted by hershelgeorgelives (78 posts) -

Let E3DS commence!

#350 Edited by DeadlyWolverine (32 posts) -

Ladies and gentlemen please turn off all your devices, we're not going to start for another hour; the rep has gone missing, probably asphyxiated himself. Action Figure?

Because using an elevator in a haunted house is a smart idea.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.