Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Desperate Mac Ad attacks Windows 7

• 168 results
    artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#51  Edited By artofwar420

For Macs you're paying for quality of materials, you're paying for the OS, you're paying for the "life styel" that comes with it.  

If I want I can spend hundreds of dollars on a case, but I don't see the point.
    KennyPowers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By KennyPowers

Mac ads tend to not go after Mac people to buy new ones.  Mac users are notoriously loyal and their software updates sell very well.  There are still way more Windows users so the ads are just trying to win over new customers.   

And....its just an ad....

ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By ErgoProxy77

Macs rule.  So many things that Microsoft is doing with their new OSs are copied straight from Apple. 

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Most of the points Apple make against Windows/PC in their ads are, while funny, hilariously outdated and just don't make sense used agains todays computers.   

I actually really liked how Microsoft turned around the Apple ads by making their own "I'm a PC.." ads just to show that these Apple complaints may have made sense back in the 90's, but not any more.  If Apple want to try and continue fooling people into believing their product is superior, let them.  I feel sorry for anyone suckered into the hype.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Godwind
    @Skogen said:
    " The mac ads embodies the mac crowd: pretentious.  Why don't they just advertise their products, instead of blatantly insulting the competition? "
    Because Genesis does what Nintendon't.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By eroticfishcake

Christ, these companies seem to act like children. They're both good in different ways I'm just going to use the one that suits me. That's all I care about.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#57  Edited By Darkstar614

jesus christ the arguments in this thread are ridiculous... This is the one that actually matters here on GiantBomb:

This is a GAMING website. Where are all the video games? on the PC. 

Who the hell cares if Mac even exists? Gamers will never buy macs unless they, for some reason, they never want to play a game on the PC.

I leave you with the best mac parody commercial ever.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By Geno
    @ErgoProxy77 said:

" Macs rule.  So many things that Microsoft is doing with their new OSs are copied straight from Apple. 

"
    There was only like one thing in that video that looked like a copy, the widgets/gadgets. The rest look either nothing like each other, or have no other logical way to be done. How else is a file tree supposed to look, like a pizza? It even says the calendar looks similar, hm, maybe because they're CALENDARS?
    BODDAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By BODDAH
    @Skogen said:
    " The mac ads embodies the mac crowd: pretentious.  Why don't they just advertise their products, instead of blatantly insulting the competition? "
    Come to think of it, I can't recall the last advertisement for Macs that didn't put down Windows. Maybe I don't watch TV enough. 

I've been using Vista for a year and a half now and haven't had any problems.
    ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ErgoProxy77
    @Geno: I'm just saying that Windows seems like they are trying to catch up to mac in the sense that Macs are more user friendly.  And also, these mac ads are not desperate, Apple is making shit tons of money.  Now, I'm not saying macs are perfect, there are a ton of things I think Apple has truly fucked up on, I just hope Windows 7 has a good interface.  I might want to install it on my mac to play games, cuz mac is shit for games of course.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Darkstar614 said:

" This is a GAMING website. Where are all the video games? on the PC"

Funny how other threads are full of people saying how PC gaming is dead, consoles rule, etc etc, but here it's the opposite. Anyway, this wasn't related to gaming in any way whatsoever from the ad or the OP :-P
    Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#62  Edited By Out_On_Bail
    @eroticfishcake said:
    "They're both good in different ways I'm just going to use the one that suits me. That's all I care about. "
    Wow, that's nuts!  Buying the one that suits your needs? BLASPHEMY!
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Geno
    @ErgoProxy77 said:

" @Geno: I'm just saying that Windows seems like they are trying to catch up to mac in the sense that Macs are more user friendly.  And also, these mac ads are not desperate, Apple is making shit tons of money.  Now, I'm not saying macs are perfect, there are a ton of things I think Apple has truly fucked up on, I just hope Windows 7 has a good interface.  I might want to install it on my mac to play games, cuz mac is shit for games of course. "

Macs are more user-friendly in the sense that a bicycle is more user-friendly than a jet airplane. Mac is basically only good for web-browsing and basic applications, both of which can be done on the PC as well as many, many other things, so where Apple gets its air of superiority over their user-friendliness is a mystery. 
    Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By Ubiquitous

Silly advertisements. It would make more sense if they acctually said something about thier product. But really this is the product of them not making their money off of computers. These ads are the best commercials that ipods can buy. I think the main reason that people use mac nowadays is the fact that apple sells their computers to school on the super cheap for the purpose of "gettin em while they're young". These advertisements are basically targeted at the same demographic, those that haven't really gotten too into computer use. Macs are not bad machines and I think they would see better sales if they started giving people a reason or two as to why they should want a Mac in the first place. On another note, I dont think Vista is as bad as everyone says. It seems like another case of everyone hopping on a bandwagon of hate. Although it does take up too many resources. But if you have the resources the footprint is not that big and the problems are relatively few. If you really want a more stable OS... well... it's under GNU.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By wickedsc3

Well i guess all thats left to be said is that mac obvisouly feels threatened by its people leaving for a pc and that is why they have to attack pc.  Which is been known for a long time is a basic human reaction,  Fight or flight.  So i guess to the op, this is definatly just another attack by mac on pc but it is pretty much what everyone has come to expect from mac commercials.  I really dont care one way or the other as i have said but until mac shows me some worth while images of what their computer can do, ill stick with my pc.
    ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ShaunassNZ
    @Al3xand3r: actually no the top is an attack which is not good sportsmanship, and the bottom is an ad telling people that the OS is now what people wanted!
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Geno said:

"Macs are more user-friendly in the sense that a bicycle is more user-friendly than a jet airplane. Mac is basically only good for web-browsing and basic applications, both of which can be done on the PC as well as many, many other things, so Apple's air of superiority over their user-friendliness is a mystery.  "

Yes, all those architects, graphic artists, engineers, etc, must be crazy stupid for using Macs, falling for the hype and not realising it's only good for word processing. As for user friendlyness, I don't think any seasoned PC user can exactly testify to that. If you already know Windows, of course you can't care for another OS. That doesn't mean you have better taste, ability or habits than others. Not to mention you can isntall Windows just fine for software compatibility purposes nowadays anyway. On the other end of the spectrum, the casual user, __________ (I know the pm you got has his name but I removed it from here so I guess don't make it public) is a Mac user here, he has a high position in a succesful business and certainly appears to be pretty smart, but he uses a Mac and can't get his head around PCs, nor does he want to waste time trying, while clearly price isn't an issue to him. Clearly Apple did things right with their design if technology-averse people like him can grow to use them and do tasks they otherwise simply wouldn't do, rather than spend time learning to do them elsewhere.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#68  Edited By Cube

This thread is just evidence of how sensitive Windows zealots are. But, continue to defend one of the biggest, if not the biggest companies in the world. I'm sure they totally give a shit about you!

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#69  Edited By the8bitNacho

Yay, a Mac vs. PC debate.

Stop bitching.  No one's forcing you to use one or the other.  I have both, and though I prefer my Mac, I don't think either is "better" than the other.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Geno
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " @Geno said:

"Macs are more user-friendly in the sense that a bicycle is more user-friendly than a jet airplane. Mac is basically only good for web-browsing and basic applications, both of which can be done on the PC as well as many, many other things, so Apple's air of superiority over their user-friendliness is a mystery.  "

Yes, all those architects, graphic artists, engineers, etc, must be crazy stupid for using Macs, falling for the hype and not realising it's only good for word processing. As for user friendlyness, I don't think any seasoned PC user can exactly testify to that. If you already know Windows, of course you can't care for another OS. That doesn't mean you have better taste, ability or habits than others. On the other end of the spectrum, the casual user, __________ is a Mac user here, he has a high position in a succesful business and certainly appears to be pretty smart, but he uses a Mac and can't get his head around PCs, nor does he want to waste time trying, while clearly price isn't an issue to him. Clearly Apple did things right with their design if technology-averse people like him can grow to use them and do tasks they otherwise simply wouldn't do, rather than spend time learning to do them elsewhere. "
    Mac actually has almost zero penetration in the business sector, so your comment about the graphics artists, engineers etc. is false. There may be indeed graphics artists and engineers using macs in their facilities, but certainly not for the most demanding applications, as those simply aren't compatible on a mac, and wouldn't be able to run on typical mac hardware anyway (Mac can't even run games, I doubt it would be able to run a structural torsion simulator). Photoshop CS and Sony Vegas don't really count as business applications either. I'm saying that if you "know" Windows you can do a lot more than if you "know" Mac. 
    Amilmitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Amilmitt

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Al3xand3r

I didn't say business, I said a few specific categories, I think it's pretty common knowledge, at least for graphic artists. As for business use, the percentages keep going up. And game performance has little to do with application performance. If you have a ton of RAM and a good CPU photo and video editing will be just as good even if your graphics card isn't tuned for Crysis (as long as it still has a lot of video ram).

Now I'm not very knowledgable about Mac OS but there are plenty of articles like this if you make relevant google searches. And that particular piece is on PC World so I doubt there's some kind of pro-Mac bias with their writing but I guess you never know.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By emkeighcameron
    @Snipzor said:

" Thank god for the Gmod Idiot Box. 

Yeah, that's how I feel. "
    Haha, how have I not seen those before?! That was hilarious.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#74  Edited By jakob187
    @DanielJW said:
    " I dislike the Mac commercials tenancy  to not talk about Macs... at all.  "
    This.  I know that Alexander is pointing out the level of pretentiousness that both companies have, and that's an undeniable fact.  However, all of the Mac ads are simply Justin Long saying "fuck you, Windows" rather than actually showing people what it can do...which equals out to "not that much".  Then again, when the majority of society is ignorant to the meaning of the word "proprietary"...then yeah, it's not gonna do you much good.
    ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By ErgoProxy77
    @Geno: What do you mean by "basic applications"?  Are you implying that WIndows is not good for "basic applications"?  Mac is great for in-depth applications like Photoshop and Final Cut Pro.  By the way, this very website is edited on Macs by the Giant Bomb Crew.  So tell me, besides games, what can windows do better than mac?
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Geno
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " I didn't say business, I said a few specific categories, I think it's pretty common knowledge, at least for graphic artists. As for business use, the percentages keep going up. And game performance has little to do with application performance. "
    So, basically, what's the differential for using a Mac when PC can run the same programs plus more, on usually much better hardware and drivers? User-friendliness is not an argument since it's completely subjective, and any issue there has probably been mitigated anyway since I haven't heard someone call windows hard to use in a while. 
    BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#77  Edited By BlackHeronBlue

you know what I don't understand? Why is there a constant war/argument between mac and pc users? And between ps3 and 360 users? I mean, WHO GIVES A FUCK? It's a matter of personal preference, there is no better or worse.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Geno
    @ErgoProxy77 said:
    " @Geno: What do you mean by "basic applications"?  Are you implying that WIndows is not good for "basic applications"?  Mac is great for in-depth applications like Photoshop and Final Cut Pro.  By the way, this very website is edited on Macs by the Giant Bomb Crew.  So tell me, besides games, what can windows do better than mac? "
    As I said in my previous comment, Windows can run the same or equivalent programs with better hardware and drivers (Photoshop and Final Cut Pro are not technically demanding applications, even Dell sells sub-$1000 dollar PC's to do just that, and Dell is overpriced). The fact that this website is (partially) created on Mac makes no difference in the argument. Mac is almost a strictly inferior operating system yet it uses deception in order to get buyers, which is unethical and sleazy. 
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Al3xand3r

So you're saying the GB crew was deceived and stupidly fell for the hype they should have seen through? That they can't possibly prefer working like they do now, at least those who do work on Macs? That they can only possibly buy a Mac due to these commercials? Really?

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Geno
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " So you're saying the GB crew was deceived and stupidly fell for the hype they should have seen through? That they can't possibly prefer working like they do now, at least those who do work on Macs? Really? "
    I'm guessing they bought a Mac for Final Cut Pro, but yes, anyone can be deceived. There is also no indication that the GB crew are the most technically-minded individuals. 
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " @Geno said:

Yes, all those architects, graphic artists, engineers, etc, must be crazy stupid for using Macs, falling for the hype and not realising it's only good for word processing. As for user friendlyness, I don't think any seasoned PC user can exactly testify to that. If you already know Windows, of course you can't care for another OS. That doesn't mean you have better taste, ability or habits than others. Not to mention you can isntall Windows just fine for software compatibility purposes nowadays anyway. On the other end of the spectrum, the casual user, __________ (I know the pm you got has his name but I removed it from here so I guess don't make it public) is a Mac user here, he has a high position in a succesful business and certainly appears to be pretty smart, but he uses a Mac and can't get his head around PCs, nor does he want to waste time trying, while clearly price isn't an issue to him. Clearly Apple did things right with their design if technology-averse people like him can grow to use them and do tasks they otherwise simply wouldn't do, rather than spend time learning to do them elsewhere. "
    Engineers don't use macs for work. 
    ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By ErgoProxy77
    @Geno: Sure you could get better hardware, if you spend thousands of dollars.  I could spend money to upgrade my mac, but it runs pretty fast already.  I was not deceived into buying a mac btw.  Apple as made a lot of great advancements in their hardware.  My 13 inch MacBook Pro runs way faster than my old G4 tower.  Stop talking about Apple deceiving people.  If people were being deceived, there would be mass returns of macs, but there are not.  By owning a mac, I don't need any virus scanners, I can organize my files easily, and there are no random bugs or problems and I don't have to constantly refresh my page when web browsing.  Macs just make life easier.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Cube
    @Geno: Unethical and sleazy? There are no "ethics" in business. Money doesn't have feelings. I mean sure, if they were doing something downright stupid like insulting the consumers I could see what you mean...but two companies going head to head is not only encouraged, but healthy for any type of growth. Apple is allowed to attack Microsoft and vice versa. Just because Microsoft comes out with an ad that doesn't attack Apple, doesn't mean they are any more caring or "ethical". Vote with your dollars.
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#84  Edited By Emilio

That  Mac ad was cool.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Alexander
    @Al3xand3r said:
    "Yes, all those architects, graphic artists, engineers, etc, must be crazy stupid for using Macs"
    Most Architects and enginners don't use Macs at all fyi, it's a case of the best programs in those industries like AutoCAD being Windows only. 

Graphic artists and photography studios are another matter. 

I will be installing Windows 7 Professional this evening, despite these tired ads from Apple telling me everything is going to screw up. On the contrary, since being released to companies back in early August, Windows 7 has (so far) proven less buggy than Snow Leopard.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By ryanwho

I'll never understand volunteer shills like the OP. Really, an OS war? Get a hobby.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Gizmo

Windows 7 Premium is £30 for students, it's also well optimized, would run on a fucking huge range of hardware.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Geno
    @ErgoProxy77 said:

" @Geno: Sure you could get better hardware, if you spend thousands of dollars.  I could spend money to upgrade my mac, but it runs pretty fast already.  I was not deceived into buying a mac btw.  Apple as made a lot of great advancements in their hardware.  My 13 inch MacBook Pro runs way faster than my old G4 tower.  Stop talking about Apple deceiving people.  If people were being deceived, there would be mass returns of macs, but there are not.  By owning a mac, I don't need any virus scanners, I can organize my files easily, and there are no random bugs or problems and I don't have to constantly refresh my page when web browsing.  Macs just make life easier. "

You say you weren't deceived yet the issues you mentioned are exactly the types of myths that Apple propagates about PC's.  

1) The price of a mac is usually 1.5-2x the price of an equivalent PC from Dell or HP, and about 3-4x the price of a self-built PC. And you can't upgrade Mac hardware.  
    2) People don't return Macs because the people who bought them with the notion that they're better than PC's don't have that notion dispelled when they get home. In fact it probably takes years for Mac propaganda to wear off. 
    3) Any PC with a basic anti-virus or firewall runs without issues. I haven't had a virus in 7 years, and when I did it was because I was torrenting dubious files. I run AVG free edition. 
    4) You can organize files just as easily if not easier on Windows. Windows invented file hierarchy as we know it today. Businesses prefer Windows because they need to manage and maintain millions of files. Also, how hard is it to copy-paste? 
    5) I'm on Vista x64 and it has never crashed or frozen in the 2 years that I've used it. I use my core i7 and dual graphics cards for simultaneous protein folding and gaming almost 24/7, putting 100% load on the machine. I've never run into driver issues, mainly because I'm not stupid enough to try and install Windows 2000 or XP drivers on it. The myth of the bug-riddled Windows platform is a popular one by Apple. Mac on the other hand often has performance issues, due to being incompatible with almost everything, and working on a closed OS structure, it's just Windows users aren't that vocal about it because they're relatively secure with their own platform already. 
    6) Your internet's performance is dependent on your broadband performance and your web browser, the best at the moment of which is Google Chrome (as benchmarked by Futuremark), available for both Mac and PC, but so far vastly more supported on the PC. 
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Alexander
    @Gizmo said:
    " Windows 7 Premium is £30 for students, it's also well optimized, would run on a fucking huge range of hardware. "
    People take note, you can get the Professional version for the same price as Home Premium, just when you're going through the process look out for the option.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Gizmo
    @ryanwho said:

" I'll never understand volunteer shills like the OP. Really, an OS war? Get a hobby. "

Don't want to talk about obscure geeky stuff such as operating systems?

GTFO out of a video-game forum, with respect.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#91  Edited By damswedon

i think Charlie Brooker said it best  when he said 
    "when you see the ads, you think, 'PCs are a bit rubbish yet ultimately lovable, whereas Macs are just smug, preening tossers.'"

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#92  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @Geno: So despite the fact that I own 3 PCs and a MacBook Pro, and though I greatly prefer the latter, I've simply been deceived and am delusional in my preference?
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Cube
    @Gizmo said:
    " @ryanwho said:

" I'll never understand volunteer shills like the OP. Really, an OS war? Get a hobby. "

Don't want to talk about obscure geeky stuff such as operating systems? GTFO out of a video-game forum, with respect. "
    Three Cheers for missing the point! Woo!
    cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#94  Edited By cinemandrew
    @Snipzor said:

" Thank god for the Gmod Idiot Box. 

Yeah, that's how I feel. "
    That made my day.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Geno
    @Kombat said:
    " @Geno: So despite the fact that I own 3 PCs and a MacBook Pro, and though I greatly prefer the latter, I've simply been deceived and am delusional in my preference? "
    Obviously you only use basic applications (web-browsing, music, photoshop at most). On that level, it's a matter of preference, but in terms of an absolute comparison, Windows is strictly better since it can do everything that Mac can do and much more, cheaper and faster. 
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#96  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Geno said:
    "  Fear-mongering, pretentiousness and false advertising vs. confidence, stability and beauty "
    i like the way you put it
    Noted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Noted

What a disgusting Mac-ad.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Godwind said:

" @Skogen said:

Because Genesis does what Nintendon't. "
    But Nintendo is what Genesis'nt
    Avatar image for pirate_republic
    pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By pirate_republic

I agree: I hate negative advertising. Instead of saying why Mac is better, Apple is just dissing Windows in a a false manner. Anytime a company resorts to negative advertising, I hate them.

These ads used to be funny, but Apple has gone way to far with this. Or rahter, iApple iHas iGone iWay iTo iFar. See, I can be witty too.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Black_Raven
    @William said:
    " I sort of agree with the mac ad..  I'm running vista. "
    Yea but it's not only Microsoft saying Windows 7 is better, it's everyone that uses it....
    The Windows 7 ad is MUCH better than that mac ad, they're just getting old and unfunny now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.