Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Desperate Mac Ad attacks Windows 7

• 168 results
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By Seedofpower
    @Snipzor: That was funny as shit, thank you for sharing that.
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#102  Edited By Crono

I thought the mac ad was funny but it can't convince me to cough up the dough for a mac.  Meanwhile, I think the Windows ads are consistently terrible and you'd think that they would be able to hire much more creative team to produce their ads given that they still hold the most market share for an OS.

I really don't see how the Mac ad is a frightened and desperate attempt to undermine the PC, mostly because that is the whole idea behind that series of Mac ads and they have done it so much and so often that they are little more than a miniture sketch in the middle of commercials, really.  As far as "confidence, stability and beauty" are concerned with regards to the Windows 7 ads... none of those words seem appropriate, really in my opinion.  At least that is not the vibe I get from this ad or from Microsoft or Windows 7.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#103  Edited By Hamz

I always found the Mac vs PC ads to be funny at first until you realise just how pretentious and false they are in the advertising. If Macs are meant to be a clearly superior product then where is the confident advertising like the iPod or iPhone adverts receive?

Sorry Apple, but you may take your overpriced hunk of junk elsewhere and all the Mac fans can enjoy their one button mouse while I have my five button mouse and the ability to run almost any and all programs / applications I can think of.

Avatar image for pirate_republic
    pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#104  Edited By pirate_republic
    @Hamz said:
    " I always found the Mac vs PC ads to be funny at first until you realise just how pretentious and false they are in the advertising. If Macs are meant to be a clearly superior product then where is the confident advertising like the iPod or iPhone adverts receive?  Sorry Apple, but you may take your overpriced hunk of junk elsewhere and all the Mac fans can enjoy their one button mouse while I have my five button mouse and the ability to run almost any and all programs / applications I can think of. "
    /thread. A mod posted this. A freaking mod.

Whatever a mod says is fact.
    cicatriz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By cicatriz

i dont know why people still use windows. I switched to mac about the time mac os 10.4 came out and never looked back.

Fuzz_Butt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#106  Edited By Fuzz_Butt
    @cicatriz said:

" i dont know why people still use windows. I switched to mac about the time mac os 10.4 came out and never looked back. "

I'm sorry to hear that. Oh I know why I haven't switched! It's because I'm not gonna drop $1000 for some overpriced computer when I can easily build one with the same specs for half the price! And, IMO, the only thing I find worthy of Macs is the OS. That alone is worth $30.

Also...most of the hardware sold on Newegg can't be installed a Mac...I'd like to have choices my friend.
    mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By mhkjtha
    @cicatriz: maybe people prefer a vastly superior library of software and a reasonable price?
    if you custom build your pc youll get a pc more powerful then a mac for half the price
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By agentboolen

Ehh brings up the one big point against windows. If your not a gamer Mac's are better. I remember when I got my 1st pc a windows 95 machine, the first time I screwed it up I was afraid to explore the thing, it felt like anything i did wrong the thing could break. Few years later I become a graphic designer buy a high price mac and right away I felt like the OS was much easier to use. There computers are waaaay expensive but there OS is just perfect. Sorry to bash windows I still use it have been on every version after 95, and still feel its more fragile. With that said don't hate me, if I was going to buy a gaming computer, I would buy a Windows PC hands down, thats the one thing they beat mac's at.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By mordukai

The 80's period one was freaking hilarious. I can't believe we (people who lived through that time) actually thought it looked good. 

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Demyx

Whoever does the mac commercials is pretty epic. They are all well done. But at the same time, I would prefer Apple to actually talk about their product.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#111  Edited By KamasamaK

Eh, nothing new here. But it's always interesting to see what new ways they can find to deceive people and put down the competition.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#112  Edited By oldschool
    @Demyx said:
    " Whoever does the mac commercials is pretty epic. They are all well done. But at the same time, I would prefer Apple to actually talk about their product. "
    I found that ad both hilarious and brilliant.  I laughed out loud I found it so good.  I agree though, more ads about Macs themselves, to balance it out, but keep the current ones, they amuse me. 

Those who think they are pretentious - jealous much?  They annoy you because the satire is biting and yet true?  Stick to your PC if it suits your needs, no-one cares, why do you?
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Milkman

I play video games on my computer. So, PC > Mac. Simple. The Windows 7 ad is goddamn annoying though.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#114  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

But does mac have a giant whopper?

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#115  Edited By Geno
    @oldschool said:
    " @Demyx said:
    " Whoever does the mac commercials is pretty epic. They are all well done. But at the same time, I would prefer Apple to actually talk about their product. "
    I found that ad both hilarious and brilliant.  I laughed out loud I found it so good.  I agree though, more ads about Macs themselves, to balance it out, but keep the current ones, they amuse me.  Those who think they are pretentious - jealous much?  They annoy you because the satire is biting and yet true?  Stick to your PC if it suits your needs, no-one cares, why do you? "
    I find it dishonest because it's twisting the truth. With each new OS, old problems are fixed and new ones arise as new applications and new computer standards are developed. This is the natural flow of things. They are essentially accusing Windows of not being able to make an OS that will address every problem for the next 1000 years, which is ridiculous. 
    WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#116  Edited By WickedCobra03
    @William said:
    " I sort of agree with the mac ad..  I'm running vista. "
    Yeah, they kinda got stale after the stoned girl mac ad like 5+ years ago, but having tried vista for 6 months and still people hate it to this day, it seems as though Windows 7 is not looking any better.  I think a lot of it has to do with the way they chopped this OS into so many different flavours(starter, basic, home, premium, business, ultimate...ect) that it is going to hurt the OS again.  I wanted to kick Bill Gates in the nuts after installing Vista and trying to run it for like a week.  Slow, everything is hidden for the sake of looking clean but you cannot find anything you need, driver support was terrible, needed a sick amount of ram to actually run properly....I had 3 gigs at the time.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By turbomonkey138

And the age old fanboy war continues...... Can't we all get along . I use both why cant you guys ?

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Ragdrazi

Hey, I totally overheard Mac and he was totally talking shit on PC's mom. You're not going to let that shit stand, are you?

Lestater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Lestater

I use both operating systems, but I prefer OSX; I use Windows 7 for purely gaming now as it seems to not be as proficient when it comes to basic tasks that OSX handles flawlessly.
    Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ErgoProxy77 said:
    " Macs rule.  So many things that Microsoft is doing with their new OSs are copied straight from Apple. 

"
    No Offence man but this is the type of stuff that make Mac users look like dicks. I'm willing to accept that companies copy each other even to the extent that the windows sidebar is taken from OSX but claiming that windows explorer and the calender are copied is a bit far fetched.  How is a calender supposed to look? It has 30 days in a grid that must be 7 columns wide. 

I know it's not your video or anything but damn that annoyed me.  Ford copied Mustang! Their cars have 4 wheels too!
    ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#121  Edited By ErgoProxy77
    @Geno: Actually you can upgrade mac hardware.  You can upgrade memory, hard drive, graphics card, etc.  So you are saying I build a PC that runs faster than any mac for $250?  I doubt it.  And remember, I have not been fooled into buying a mac.  I have used PCs before, and I don't like them one bit.  I find macs are easier to use.  And don't say Vista not working is a myth.  I know people, yes actual people, that have had issues with it.  One guy even had to downgrade to Windows XP.  And what about all the innovations Apple as come up with?  iTunes, for efficient battery technology, incredible industrial design, Time Machine, the list goes on.  With all your talk about choosing which drivers to install and installing basic firewalls make it seem to me that you have to put a lot of effort into running and maintaining a PC.  Macs are worry free out of the box.  I have everything I need right away.  With PCs it varies, depending on what kind you get.  I am still convinced that Mac is better for me (no you, you like PCs, thats ok).
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Geno
    @ErgoProxy77 said:

" @Geno: Actually you can upgrade mac hardware.  You can upgrade memory, hard drive, graphics card, etc.  So you are saying I build a PC that runs faster than any mac for $250?  I doubt it.  And remember, I have not been fooled into buying a mac.  I have used PCs before, and I don't like them one bit.  I find macs are easier to use.  And don't say Vista not working is a myth.  I know people, yes actual people, that have had issues with it.  One guy even had to downgrade to Windows XP.  And what about all the innovations Apple as come up with?  iTunes, for efficient battery technology, incredible industrial design, Time Machine, the list goes on.  With all your talk about choosing which drivers to install and installing basic firewalls make it seem to me that you have to put a lot of effort into running and maintaining a PC.  Macs are worry free out of the box.  I have everything I need right away.  With PCs it varies, depending on what kind you get.  I am still convinced that Mac is better for me (no you, you like PCs, thats ok). "

If you're relatively unfamiliar with computers (which I'm assuming you are, since you consider installing a firewall "a lot of effort"), or you only use basic applications, then Mac is a matter of choice. However in terms of an absolute comparison, it's strictly worse than PC. Apple can encourage people to use Mac if they want, and Mac users can continue using Mac if they want, but it's deceptive for a Mac ad to say that it's "better" than PC. At best, it's equal to PC when using basic applications, and that's it. I just don't like false advertising is all. 
    ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By ErgoProxy77
    @IncredibleBulk92: I know what you mean, mac users are dicks, but windows users are nerds.  I would rather be a dick that a nerd.  Lol just joking with ya. 
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @IncredibleBulk92 said: 

No Offence man but this is the type of stuff that make Mac users look like dicks. I'm willing to accept that companies copy each other even to the extent that the windows sidebar is taken from OSX but claiming that windows explorer and the calender are copied is a bit far fetched.  How is a calender supposed to look? It has 30 days in a grid that must be 7 columns wide.  I know it's not your video or anything but damn that annoyed me.  Ford copied Mustang! Their cars have 4 wheels too! "

Well, no. But the overall design does appear to be copied. And, actually, in the early days of Windows, Mac brought a copyright lawsuit against Microsoft for ripping off their design elements. So this sort of thing has been noticed for a very long time. But, you're right, who cares. Maybe I just learned Windows but I find Macs about as easy to use as sorting through a junk drawer. Macs think they know exactly how they should be used and if you try to use them in any other way it's much much harder than it needs to be. That having been said, they do crash less than Windows and viruses don't really happen. 

I guess, basic message, you're all fanboys who need to take a big handful of shut-the-fuck-up.
    ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By ErgoProxy77
    @Geno: I see your point.  Maybe Apple should focus on their products and stop comparing them to others.  And on the firewall thing, when I got my mac, I did not need to install any firewalls.  When you got your PC, did you have to install any firewalls?  The point is I would rather just have everything I need out of the box.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Geno
    @ErgoProxy77 said:

" @Geno: I see your point.  Maybe Apple should focus on their products and stop comparing them to others.  And on the firewall thing, when I got my mac, I did not need to install any firewalls.  When you got your PC, did you have to install any firewalls?  The point is I would rather just have everything I need out of the box. "

Macs aren't magically immune to viruses (if they had that capability, well then the people at Apple are smarter than all of the encryption and security agencies in the world combined), it's just that the people who make viruses don't target Macs. Why target 5% of the population when you can target the other 95%? Also, installing a firewall on a PC is a free, one-time, 3 minute affair, nothing to get excited about. It probably takes longer to find a wallpaper that you like. And yes, I believe very strongly that Apple should advertise their own position rather than making deceptive claims about the competing OS. 
    killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By killdave
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " I hate Macs but I enjoy there commercials. "
    As a tech I HATE FUCKING HATE Macs... but their commercials do make me laugh a little
    ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By ErgoProxy77
    @Geno: I'm not saying Macs are immune to viruses.  So why buy a computer that 95% of viruses target?
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Geno
    @ErgoProxy77 said:

" @Geno: I'm not saying Macs are immune to viruses.  So why buy a computer that 95% of viruses target? "

Because with a firewall, said viruses are null, and you have an OS that can run anything (games, high-end applications), and faster. Also, there isn't a constant barrage of viruses anyway, as Apple would lead you to believe. Unless you go to the most dubious sites and download weirdly named .exe files, you can practically run it without a firewall. I've even purposely went without a firewall or antivirus for a week once on my Vista. I scanned it a week later and there was nothing there but your regular tracking cookies (which comes from regular web browsing, and is present on the Mac as well). 
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @Hamz said:

" I always found the Mac vs PC ads to be funny at first until you realise just how pretentious and false they are in the advertising. If Macs are meant to be a clearly superior product then where is the confident advertising like the iPod or iPhone adverts receive?  Sorry Apple, but you may take your overpriced hunk of junk elsewhere and all the Mac fans can enjoy their one button mouse while I have my five button mouse and the ability to run almost any and all programs / applications I can think of. "

Well, I don't think the way their advertising is has anything to do with the confidence they feel they have in a their product. Asking an ad executive whether or not they have confidence in the product they're advertising makes about as much sense as asking a plate of spaghetti to define the term human nature. I think their advertising has everything to do with "market share." Ipod is the brand leader and iPhone is leading a major trend in its market. Mac computers on the other hand have lately grown to hold a measly 10% of the market. Of course they need to attack "the leading brand." What do you want out of them? 

That having been said, that whole one button thing is complete bullshit sent up extremely well by The Onion. 

Actually, that pretty much says everything I think about Macs right there.
    ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By ErgoProxy77
    @Geno: Cool, I guess it just comes down to which interface you prefer.  BTW I am not totally against using PC, I will probably install Windows on my Mac to play games off Steam or something.
    Fuzz_Butt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Fuzz_Butt
    @ErgoProxy77: I HIGHLY doubt you can upgrade an the iMacs graphics card and harddrive without having to spend cash to get professionals to do it for you.
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#133  Edited By ArchScabby

I've always said I don't like any company or commercial that has to insult another competitor just to advertise.  Like subway, I don't think I've ever seen a Subway commercial that hasn't taken a shot at Mcdonalds or Burger King.

ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By ErgoProxy77
    @Fuzz_Butt: If a professional can take apart a computer, why can't you?
    VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#135  Edited By VisariLoyalist

Yeah I have a mac and even I was embarrassed if only cause of the weak argument they made for themselves I mean just having a bunch of giddy as hell people saying that mac has the highest customer satisfaction is not going to make anyone buy anything from you.

GHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By GHT

all the mac ad says is that windows improves with every iteration.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#137  Edited By JJWeatherman

The Mac's ad shows how arrogant they are, while the PC's is more lax. I'm not in love with either approach but the mac's ad actually made me dislike the company more than want their products. At least the Microsoft commercial didn't go out of their way to insult the competition. Keep it classy Mac, keep it classy.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#138  Edited By JackiJinx
    @Geno: There's a general rule to marketing: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If a marketing campaign is successful, it will be continued to use until a new angle is needed. The whole Mac positioning is based upon being different from the standard PC. They did it back in 1984 with IBM and they're doing it now with Microsoft. Different ads, same message: we're not like the other guys. The Mac vs. PC commercials will probably run for another few years until the actors either decide they don't want to continue the shtick or they're forced out of it by their appearance/demeanor.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By mordukai

OK. This whole situation is getting fucking ridiculous. Every time someone starts a thread about how much they hate Windows or how much they hate macs then everyone start spewing their idiotic mantra. This argument is pointless, useless and is as effective as fire cupping is to a dead person.  What amazes me most about this thread is that from 130+ posts only a few actually have something logical to say, the rest is just the same old tired shit. Does it really matter if you use Windows, OSX, or Linux? Do any of you think that you're going to change someone else's mind?  Do you think that those big corporation care if you defend or attack their products?  

These ads are no more then marketing ploy and it's not like Microsoft's hands are clean. Why these commercials get to some people I'll never know. If these ads anger you then your life's priorities are in the wrong order.  

You like using Windows and the products made by MS, then good for you.  
    You like using OSX and the products made by Apple, then good for you. 

Edit: It also always amazes me how people who don't own a certain product and never intend on owning it have the most "informative" opinions.       

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

LOL Microsoft needs to rip off the commercial and do one where the mac guy is like.

Mac: I promise this time we'll out preform and out sell you.
    PC: deja vu? i swear i've heard that before.

Then go through each generation over the past 15 or so years where Macs have been less the relevant .

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#141  Edited By Dizzyhippos

Funny how mac's always seem to forget the part where there almost always the more expensive option. I am not saying that to shit on mac's they do make some of the best laptops money can buy, but most of the people I know that use mac's dual boot into windows so.........

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#142  Edited By oldschool
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    "  LOL Microsoft needs to rip off the commercial and do one where the mac guy is like.  Mac: I promise this time we'll out preform and out sell you. PC: deja vu? i swear i've heard that before.  Then go through each generation over the past 15 or so years where Macs have been less the relevant . "
    Apple aren't expecting or trying to outsell Windows, so that doesn't make sense.  Sure, they would love to be number one, but they are more realistic than that.  Since iPod, iMac and Macbook are becoming more and more relevant, not less.
    JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

Which ever operating system that a person uses is just a matter of their personal preference.  People will use what they're most comfortable with.  For some people that's a windows OS and for others it's a Mac OS (and I know a bunch of people who would argue that linux is the best way to go).  People have the right to choose how they want to compute.  I've always felt that the whole Mac vs. PC argument was kind of silly.  It's like arguing over which flavor of ice cream a person likes.  Vanilla tastes great, but chocolate has a bigger market-share (or vis-versa). 

*sigh* Now i want ice cream...

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#144  Edited By Gunner
    @ErgoProxy77 said:
    " @Fuzz_Butt: If a professional can take apart a computer, why can't you? "
    Because you aren't a professional.. And doing so would void any warranty that apple gives you.
    justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By justinnotjason

I'm not getting involved in this argument, but I laughed my ass off when I saw this commercial against the iphone:

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By mordukai
    @super_mario_john said:
    " Which ever operating system that a person uses is just a matter of their personal preference.  People will use what they're most comfortable with.  For some people that's a windows OS and for others it's a Mac OS (and I know a bunch of people who would argue that linux is the best way to go).  People have the right to choose how they want to compute.  I've always felt that the whole Mac vs. PC argument was kind of silly.  It's like arguing over which flavor of ice cream a person likes.  Vanilla tastes great, but chocolate has a bigger market-share (or vis-versa).  *sigh* Now i want ice cream... "
    THANK YOU! for putting some sense into this futile argument.  

DAMN IT! now I want ice cream. 
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By mordukai

I also would like to add... 

Why is this thread still open, It's useless and serves no purpose. 

*sighs* Where's MB when you need him?

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By SoothsayerGB

Their ads have always been sleazy and cheap.  Directed at tools with to much money to waste.  But I love their commercials.  Competition is always needed.  Hope their sucker punches pay off and attract a ton more, collage know-it-alls.  Just makes my rig better and better.   

All thoe, those commercials completely ruined Die Hard 4 for me...

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ErgoProxy77: Meh I am a nerd so I'm fine with that :) 

@Ragdrazi:
     Yea I have no problem with Mac's or Apple products, my iPod Touch is freaking fantastic but the price and closed nature of apple products just completely puts me off buying anything more expensive.  Most of all I agree with your closing point, who gives a fuck.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By PureRok

I think both commercials suck.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.