Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Do you use your PS3 for Blu-Ray movies?

• 103 results
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

Ever since I got my PS3 over a year ago, I haven't bought one single Blu-Ray for it. I really, really don't want to pay 30 bucks for a movie when I could get a regular DVD for like 16 bucks. (In Canada, well in this part of Canada, Blu Ray is about 32.99 without tax... a little over 35 with tax.) I just really don't care that much to be able to see the pores on my actor's faces. For me, HD affects games.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#2  Edited By the8bitNacho

Yes.  I own like120 blu-ray movies. 

I buy most of mine on Amazon for $15-$25 depending on the age of the title.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
    gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By gingertastic_10

I want to. But I don't own any. So right now I only play regular ass movies.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 29

#4  Edited By TobyD81

Yep, sure do. Blu Rays on a big Hi-def look pretty sweet. It's how I prefer to buy my movies now.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By asurastrike

I own 4 blu rays movies, all of which I bought because they were on sale on Amazon.

The Depared
    Blood Diamond
    Weeds Season 1
    Weeds Season 2

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By harrisonave

It's pretty much the only thing I do with it...

Come on, Heavy Rain! Daddy needs a game to play on his PS3!

FrEeZe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By FrEeZe

I don't really buy movies regularly, but I am currently on the hunt for two of my favourite movies on Blu-Ray (Eternal Sunshine, Oldboy) and I would definitely play them on my PS3. 

But then again I guess I could use my laptop and connect it to my HDTV with a HDMI cable since I use a media player that allows for custom filters/effects (VLC Media Player).

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xyzygy

The only movie I feel I NEED to get for my PS3 is Blade Runner: The Final Cut. That's it.

juanvaldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By juanvaldes

Yes.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

yes like 20-30 blurays.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Yes, I have a metric shit ton of Blu Ray discs. I would get a BDP 83 but I already have a DV983h and I can tell no difference between the PS3 and 83 when it comes to Blu Ray quality (because there is none,) so there's no reason whatsoever for me not to use my PS3 as my Blu Ray player.

I don't even buy DVD's anymore.  AV is more of a main hobby for me than are videogames (although I guess they go hand in hand much of the time.)  I just imported the region free Italian fistful of dollars Blu Ray. It was fucking Hell to track down, but it's an amazing transfer. Much better than the transfer quality the North American version of the Good the Bad and the Ugly received.

Next up - Gladiator and Braveheart - Sept 1st.  

Early reviews indicate heavy DNR and EE application on Gladiator and an overall poor visual quality, the opposite looks to be true for Braveheart. Clean, grain not completely DNR'ed away and very limited if any EE applied (continuing the tradition of the original DVD release,) nice film like quality with amazing clarity and color. Surprisingly excellent transfer. Looks like the struck a new transfer recently for Braveheart and used a shittier, older one for Gladiator.

This has been an AV moment with Biff McBlumpkin.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BradBrains

all the freakin time

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Reuben

Blu-Ray really is worth the extra price though, People didn't complain about DVD's when they first came out. They used to sell for 30 bucks too.

Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Spike94

Yes sirree! Given the only Blu-Ray movie I have as of now is The Dark Knight, it's totally worth it!!! 
    WOO GO BATMAN! 
    But yeah. I intend to get more Blu-Ray movies sometime...here and there I am sure....WOOGOBATMAN!

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Metroid545

Never seen any blu-ray movies but I hope to make use of the blu-ray player on my future PS3 when I get one but right now being sorta broke that may be awhile

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By KamasamaK

Yes, I do.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @BiffMcBlumpkin said:
    " Yes, I have a metric shit ton of Blu Ray discs. I would get a BDP 83 but I already have a DV983h and I can tell no difference between the PS3 and 83 when it comes to Blu Ray quality (because there is none,) so there's no reason whatsoever for me not to use my PS3 as my Blu Ray player. I don't even buy DVD's anymore.  AV is more of a main hobby for me than are videogames (although I guess they go hand in hand much of the time.)  I just imported the region free Italian fistful of dollars Blu Ray. It was fucking Hell to track down, but it's an amazing transfer. Much better than the transfer quality the North American version of the Good the Bad and the Ugly received. Next up - Gladiator and Braveheart - Sept 1st.   Early reviews indicate heavy DNR and EE application on Gladiator and an overall poor visual quality, the opposite looks to be true for Braveheart. Clean, grain not completely DNR'ed away and very limited if any EE applied (continuing the tradition of the original DVD release,) nice film like quality with amazing clarity and color. Surprisingly excellent transfer. Looks like the struck a new transfer recently for Braveheart and used a shittier, older one for Gladiator. This has been an AV moment with Biff McBlumpkin.  "
    *smacks ya in the back of the head* how many times i gotta tell you people don't understand the words comming out you mouth!
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18  Edited By RHCPfan24

It is funny that you ask this question because Blu-Ray movies is what I really only use my PS3 for. I tend to not play as many games on it as I watch movies, and they look great on it. I have at least 20 BD movies, and they all look pretty great. The Thing is an amazing movie and an even better transfer.

Avatar image for holycrapitsadam
    holycrapitsadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By holycrapitsadam

Thats really all I use my PS3 for. There are a couple of exclusive games like Metal Gear Solid, Ratchet and Clank, and Uncharted that i use my PS3 to play but for the most part, I buy my games for my 360 so my PS3 is basically my blu-ray player

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
    @WilliamRLBaker said:

" @BiffMcBlumpkin said:

" Yes, I have a metric shit ton of Blu Ray discs. I would get a BDP 83 but I already have a DV983h and I can tell no difference between the PS3 and 83 when it comes to Blu Ray quality (because there is none,) so there's no reason whatsoever for me not to use my PS3 as my Blu Ray player. I don't even buy DVD's anymore.  AV is more of a main hobby for me than are videogames (although I guess they go hand in hand much of the time.)  I just imported the region free Italian fistful of dollars Blu Ray. It was fucking Hell to track down, but it's an amazing transfer. Much better than the transfer quality the North American version of the Good the Bad and the Ugly received. Next up - Gladiator and Braveheart - Sept 1st.   Early reviews indicate heavy DNR and EE application on Gladiator and an overall poor visual quality, the opposite looks to be true for Braveheart. Clean, grain not completely DNR'ed away and very limited if any EE applied (continuing the tradition of the original DVD release,) nice film like quality with amazing clarity and color. Surprisingly excellent transfer. Looks like the struck a new transfer recently for Braveheart and used a shittier, older one for Gladiator. This has been an AV moment with Biff McBlumpkin.  "

*smacks ya in the back of the head* how many times i gotta tell you people don't understand the words comming out you mouth! "

LIsten beardo, I don't know what's going on right now.  

I've been ISF'ing and calibrating sets to their specs before 98% of the forum was born. Been through early CRT, projection based CRT sets, LCD and projection LCD, onset of plasma supremacy,  the speculation over SED, new nutting over OLED, goes on and on.  

And now I sound like the crazy asshole. Do I sound like the nutty asshole now? The answer is yes.

I've had a few right now. A few is 11. Friday.
    JoblessTerence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By JoblessTerence

At the moment I buy DVD's because they are dirt cheap but when they're obsolete, I will only buy current movies on Blu Ray. Apparently, Ghostbusters on Blu Ray looks like garbage because you see how bad the special effects are.

T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By T0mF5
    @BiffMcBlumpkin said:
    "@WilliamRLBaker said:

" @BiffMcBlumpkin said:

*smacks ya in the back of the head* how many times i gotta tell you people don't understand the words comming out you mouth! "
    LIsten beardo, I don't know what's going on right now.   I've been ISF'ing and calibrating sets to their specs before 98% of the forum was born. Been through early CRT, projection based CRT sets, LCD and projection LCD, onset of plasma supremacy,  the speculation over SED, new nutting over OLED, goes on and on.   And now I sound like the crazy asshole. Do I sound like the nutty asshole now? The answer is yes.  I've had a few right now. A few is 11. Friday. "

What?
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#23  Edited By wefwefasdf

Its the main thing I use my PS3 for.

Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Expletive

I would if the fan didn't constantly blow at full speed making movies hard to watch

Fiveoutafive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Fiveoutafive

I don't have a PS3 yet, but I have 13 blu-rays I watch on my laptop. Reservoir Dogs, Enter the Dragon, Afro Samurai, Rambo, The Proposition, Iron Man, The Bank Job, Forgetting Sara Marshall, V for Vendetta, The Dark Knight, Pans Labyrinth, and Weeds season 1 & 2

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mordukai

Yes. I prefer watching BD then Netflix HD movies. 

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

I don't really tend to buy many movies, but when I rent if I can get it in Blu-ray then I will.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KamasamaK
    @expletive said:
    " I would if the fan didn't constantly blow at full speed making movies hard to watch "
    Full speed? It sounds like there is something wrong with your console or it's not getting proper ventilation.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By LiquidPrince

Indeed I do.

Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Expletive
    @Kamasama said:
    " @expletive said:
    " I would if the fan didn't constantly blow at full speed making movies hard to watch "
    Full speed? It sounds like there is something wrong with your console or it's not getting proper ventilation. "
    oh,  yes there is def a problem with my console
    the_stig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By the_stig

Yes, but right now I only have 4 movies for blu-ray, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles box set.  Plus I like using Netflix more anyway so I don't know how much into the future I really am going to use it for that.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's itll be pretty stupid not to use your PS3 as a blu-ray player as it is one of it's strong selling points.

Though considering that, I only have The Dark Knight, Wall-E and the dreaded Spiderman 3 (which came free with the console when i bought it.) I only buy Blu-ray films that deserve to be on blu-ray.

Bigvic785

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bigvic785
    @BiffMcBlumpkin: A few is not 11; hows the hangover Bliff?

BTW Blu-Ray is worth the extra money.
    IchiroYagiza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By IchiroYagiza

Yeah.
    spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35  Edited By spankingaddict

yes, when i do which is almost never....

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By penguindust

I've purchased about 10 (maybe less) BD movies, but I have a subscription to Netflix so 90% of all titles I rent from them are BD movies.  I don't pick BD movies specifically, it's just that almost all new mainstream film releases have a BD option.   It's definitely worth the extra few bucks in my opinion. 

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#37  Edited By raidingkvatch

Yup

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Burns098356GX

I have a few BD movies, but my DVD collection is definatly king still. The price is still a bit high for my tastes to be buying BD everytime something comes out. I basically only buy the movies I really like in BD. 

What Im really waiting for is the price of writeable Bluray discs to come down, last time I checked it was about 20 bucks for a name brand disc. Once that happens, I'll be renting the movies for 6 bucks, and copying them myself.

James89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By James89

I bought a couple of big name movies in blu-ray to play on my PS3, like The Darknight, Watchmen, ext. 
    I think it is really useful.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By suneku

I use it for blu ray. Ever since I used blu ray, it's so hard to watch dvd quality now.

Avatar image for electricboogaloo
    ElectricBoogaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#41  Edited By ElectricBoogaloo

I'm slowly building up my Blu Ray collection. Haven't bought a DVD since getting my PS3 three years ago, so that should answer the question. Haven't bought very many recently, though. They're still pretty pricey, and the site I used to use to import from the States have upped their prices so it's more expensive than buying them here. Sucks, mainly because the US versions tend to be better; you guys get the Directors Cut of Watchmen, the five disc edition of Bladerunner, and so. We're normally stuck with the most basic versions. 

Anyway, here's what I have: Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Spider-Man Trilogy, Bladerunner five disc edition, Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Casino Royale, No Country for Old Men, I Am Legend, Cloverfield, Superbad, 300, Wall-E, Ghostbusters, Transformers, Zac and Miri Make A Porno, King Kong, Wanted, Watchmen and Reservior Dogs.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By tebbit
    @BiffMcBlumpkin said:
    " @WilliamRLBaker said:

" @BiffMcBlumpkin said:

LIsten beardo, I don't know what's going on right now.   I've been ISF'ing and calibrating sets to their specs before 98% of the forum was born. Been through early CRT, projection based CRT sets, LCD and projection LCD, onset of plasma supremacy,  the speculation over SED, new nutting over OLED, goes on and on.   And now I sound like the crazy asshole. Do I sound like the nutty asshole now? The answer is yes.  I've had a few right now. A few is 11. Friday. "
    Hehe. Beardo...
    zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43  Edited By zyn

Yes.  I only have 1 Blu-ray movie at the minute but I will buy more.

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44  Edited By kraznor

Yes, all the time. DVDs as well, which some say you shouldn't do but then why does it say you can on the box??

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MeierTheRed

Yes i do.

Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Qorious

Yeah, I sometimes watch Blu-ray movies on my PS3 but not a lot. I only have around 5-6 movies for my PS3. But Amazon has amazing prices for Blu-ray and that's pretty much where I always get my Blu-ray movies.

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By nrain

I watch them all the time but I don't own many. I have Watchmen, Blade Runner the Final Cut, The Dark Knight, Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Complete and Transformers
    Blomakrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Blomakrans
    @expletive said:
    " @Kamasama said:
    " @expletive said:
    Full speed? It sounds like there is something wrong with your console or it's not getting proper ventilation. "
    oh,  yes there is def a problem with my console "
    I have the same problem. Hopefully I'm about to get a new one on monday though.
    velvetelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By velvetelvis

netflixs has a setting to send blu ray whenever possible.  and i use it.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ninjakiller

No.  Not going to pay more for blu-rays even though the picture is a major step up.  Besides dvd players are ubiquitous, blu-ray players are not.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.