Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

RuneScape

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Mar 29, 2001

RuneScape is a popular MMORPG with large amounts of content for both free-to-play and pay-to-play users.

WoW compared to Runescape

barbacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By barbacious

I have been playing runescape for 2 years and I am considering wow. without being biligerant.thanks=]

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ArchScabby

runescape is free wow isn't
    runscape sucks wow doesn't
    although I find it hard to justify $15 a month for one game even if it is wow.

sorry if my post isn't that informative, but I needed to get my posts to 666 because that's awesome.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By fr0br0

Dude, invest another 2 years into EVE Online and it will manage to KILL both WoW and Runescape.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By grilledcheez

I used to play Runescape and had a pretty good time...I played the WoW trial and didn't so idk what to tell you other than a lot of people play WoW.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Go to WalMart or a local computar store, they have a two dollar 14 day trial. Pretty much like a crack dealer, first time is free... next thing you know you'll be giving head for your next hit (timecard).

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By shadows_kill

free but not that great vs. 15$ (or is it 20$) a month and being good

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Karmum

If I'm not mistaken, you can still download a free trial onto your PC and try it there.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Jayge_

You're not missing anything. Runescape is the quintessential MMO. WoW is just shinier, essentially. It's only worth it if you plan to get addicted to it beyond reason.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187
    Captain_Fookup said:
    "Go to WalMart or a local computar store, they have a two dollar 14 day trial. Pretty much like a crack dealer, first time is free... next thing you know you'll be giving head for your next hit (timecard)."
    Don't listen to this dood.  Just try a 7-day free trial off their website.  You won't get past level 20 on the trial more than likely, as I haven't found a newbie yet that could break level 20 in their first 7 days on the game.  Personally, I can bust level 20 in about 4 hours, but I've been playing the game for 3 years and know all the damn quests by memory at this point.  lol

In comparison, I don't know the differences between WoW and Runescape, as I've never played Runescape.  Even with their graphical update, it's still just too bleh for me.  I know a lot of kids that play it here at work, and they enjoy it.  We also have a lot of WoW players, and they enjoy WoW.  So it's just whatever you wanna do.
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tekmojo

Quite enjoying EVE myself, no other MMO compares.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By breadfan
    Jayge said:
    You're not missing anything. Runescape is the quintessential MMO.

Played Runescape once, most boring five minutes I have ever experienced
    Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Metroid545

WoW >>>>>>> runescpae

in short runescape sux ass and wow is pretty fun

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#13  Edited By Vinchenzo

Runescape sucks.

Tibia sucks.
    WoW does not!
    Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

Runescape. I wasted so many hours playing that.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gizmo

As soon as I get a decent PC, i'm going STRAIGHT back to WoW.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#16  Edited By Vinchenzo
    Agnogenic said:
    "Runescape. I wasted so many hours playing that."
    Sorry. You fail.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gizmo
    Vinchenzo said:
    "Agnogenic said:
    "Runescape. I wasted so many hours playing that."
    Sorry. You fail.
    "
    I'm going to have to agree with Vinchenzo on this one. WoW runs on ANYTHING, to be playing Runescape is like Brad Pitt going out with Paris Hilton.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By toowalrus

OK! Here's the absolute truth. If World of Warcraft got kicked in the balls, it would be Runescape.

Avatar image for sir_hugo_sherwodywody
    Sir_Hugo_Sherwodywody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gizmo:
    @Br3adfan:
    Everyone forgets that for  a free game runescape is amazing.
    The majority of people attacking runescape never got past their first hour of runescape because 'muy brain wuz tired by teh funi pictures' .
    If you get members runescape (£3.20/ $5 a month) the game is opened up HUGELY, having hundreds of hours of gameplay.
    I am rather high leveled and despite owning  tf2 ect i still play runscape regularly. Before i got my new computer i had a computer with a 16 mb graphics card. WOW did not run on that. Runescape did.

The best MMORPG for the money you put into it. For 1 month of WOW you get 3 months of runescape and runescape is browser based so you dont need to buy a disk.
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By flaminghobo

Runescape was boring at the very beginning.
    WoW was progressively tedious.
    I quit from WoW due to the fact I was tired of doing the same quests over and over and over with different skins for creatures and environments.
    Go for WoW if you have the cash.
    If not, stick with Runescape if you enjoy it.

Clbull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21  Edited By Clbull

Runescape isn't entirely bad. Its pretty quick to level up (until your skills are around the 60s - 70s) and theres quite a bit to do until high level anyway, so you don't feel like its a quick rush to max level to do endgame content. Runescape has around 150 quests (around 90% of which are Members Only) and they vary in difficulty, and are usually quite long, and mostly give a decent reward.

However, WoW has the advantage of much better gameplay mechanics, better graphics, a larger amount of quests (though mostly your typical "kill x amount of enemies" quests), and improved PvP, and instanced dungeons.

Lethkhar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lethkhar

I played Runescape for awhile, and I remember enjoying my time playing it. I ultimately got tired of the grinding, though. I had an exchange student stay with me this past year who played WoW, so I got to play it for the year he was here. That said, I really only played it for about a month before getting really bored.  Again, I got sick of having to level up in order to enjoy the game.

If you like Runescape, you'll probably like WoW, though WoW really doesn't boast much more than Runescape. Bigger world, more races, more equipment, better graphics...But ultimately I'd say it's not even close to worth paying for the game and its expansion in addition to a $15/month fee. Some people are really into it, though,

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#23  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @ArchScabby said:
    " runescape is free wow isn't runscape sucks wow doesn't
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @TooWalrus said:
    " OK! Here's the absolute truth. If World of Warcraft got kicked in the balls, it would be Runescape. "
    I don't normally agree with you but you hit the nail on the head here
    jh2429

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jh2429

lol not even close ive played both and i have to say runescape for 3 reasons.    1.runescape has better weapons.   2.you don't have to pay to play with pissed me off lol. 3.better monsters for runescape.   i played wow more but think it sucks srry.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jkz
    @jh2429 said:
    " lol not even close ive played both and i have to say runescape for 3 reasons.    1.runescape has better weapons.   2.you don't have to pay to play with pissed me off lol. 3.better monsters for runescape.   i played wow more but think it sucks srry. "

No Caption Provided
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By CL60
    @jh2429 said:
    " lol not even close ive played both and i have to say runescape for 3 reasons.    1.runescape has better weapons.   2.you don't have to pay to play with pissed me off lol. 3.better monsters for runescape.   i played wow more but think it sucks srry. "
    HAHAHHA
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#28  Edited By beargirl1

hurray for bumped threads!

JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JDDrewes

runescape is like a demo. you play the same thing over and over again, and the more you play it, the more depressing it gets, and the more you seriuosly need to get a life and pay for something. i don't care what, just pay for something.. if you don't pay then you're pretty much limited to melee weapons, a couple of professions, and mediocre (at best) pvp. you could pay $5 a month which really opens up the game a lot more, but if you're paying a monthly fee for an MMORPG, then just get Wow, seriously. i played a lot of runescape in middle school and bashed Wow kids, but i never even played it. once when i bought a couple months of Wow and played it with my friends, i had more fun than i did in my entire time of playing runescape combined. it's not even a competition.  that said i don't really play Wow anymore because i have better games and better things to do than grind to level 80. I'm sure it's great, but i just don't have the time.

and to those saying that your computer can't handle Wow, try living in the 21st century. Wow came out 5 years ago, and even then the system requirements weren't that bad.

Avatar image for commodoregroovy
    CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CommodoreGroovy

WoW doesn't make you lose most of your armor every time you die. That had to be my most irritating experience with RS.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mmmslash

I'm still of the opinion that Runescape has the most fun questlines in any game.

It's not a shiny, new fangled experience, it's not about raids and grouping, but it let's me travel to the land of fairies, or kill Frankenstein, or help Merlin fend off demons, or fight off the anti-christ, then travel to a world of trap-setting elves. It let's me go undercover as a monkey, and infiltrate a secret monkey order. The quest lines have humor, and there is never a single "Kill 5 Boars" experience.

It's a grindfest, and it's lacking in a lot of departments, but I'll be damned if it doesn't make everyone else's quests look pretty unappealing.

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By 02sfraser

play the trial. i play WoW and i really enjoy it but i do take breaks now and again when i can't afford to play or when more important things come up.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By natetodamax
    @jh2429 said:
    Fail.
    vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#34  Edited By vager

If there is one thing Runescape is better then WoW in, it's their crafting.
    JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JDDrewes
    @jh2429 said:
    1. about 10 different weapons. when you get to a higher level, you can buy a different colored version of that same weapon. progressing from iron sword to steel sword is....awesome. yea. 
    2. if you're not willing to pay a bit of money for games that are actually good, what the hell are you doing on this site? this is a video game website, and good videogames cost money.
    3. yea, runescape had great monsters. "man" "guard" "goblin" "cow" "skeleton" and of course, the combat in RS is just so deep and developed.....unlike Wow
    AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AltonBrown

Diablo II.
    Seriously, go with WoW or EVE.

sdodd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sdodd02

It's a completely different thing, there is no comparison...Seeing as how I play both, WoW sucks up so much time, runescape is a game you can sit down and play at the computer to blow through some time.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kashif1
    was it really necessary to bump this?
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By mikemcn
    @CommodoreGroovy said:
    "WoW doesn't make you lose most of your armor every time you die. That had to be my most irritating experience with RS. "
    yea, thats kinda a big thing.

I got all the way to level 75 in Runescape, and had alot of fun doing it, albeit at the expense of my own soul. 

I'd say both MMOs will suck you in, and both have a ton of depth, and a good community (Runescape has more 11 year olds though.)  personally, i cant say there is any reason to leave runescape unless you feel you a have seen everything, they update it all the time, and its only 5 bucks a month compared to 15, with no base cost for the game itself, or expansions. 

Also you can play RS from anywhere..... i'd say go for Runescape unless you really want a change.
    JohnRehill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JohnRehill
    @Captain_Fookup said:
    " Go to WalMart or a local computar store, they have a two dollar 14 day trial. Pretty much like a crack dealer, first time is free... next thing you know you'll be giving head for your next hit (timecard). "
    lol wut?
    Clbull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#41  Edited By Clbull

I have some huge criticisms about both games.

Runescape:

• Has a point-and-click movement system which just makes the game feel the opposite of immersive when you're restricted to a grid and basic walking/running movements.
    • Has combat mainly consisting of auto-attacking and minimal combat interaction.
    • Stats are huge in this game, in the way that almost everything affects your chance of getting a hit or avoiding damage. Its far too luck based.
    • Some Members weapons are so overpowered that they can one-shot players with the right stats (e.g. 99 in Range and a Dark Bow could let you one-shot most players if lucky.)
    • The high level free game gets tediously boring to the point where you'd rather drill your eyes out with a Pneumatic Drill. This is because almost everyone has Rune armour, has killed the mighty (or rather piss easy) Elvarg nowadays, PKing has been dead since December 10 2007, Dungeoneering gets boring after a couple of days and Jagex have neglected free-to-play players in terms of content.
    • Has a moronic in-game community and a forum community that makes its ingame community look like Mensa.

World of Warcraft:

• Decent combat system. Well by decent I mean the kind that has been in every MMORPG since EverQuest.
    • Damage is more consistent and less capable of one-shotting players. OH WAIT, Wrath of the Lich King came past and screwed all that up.
    • Stats don't play as big a role as Runescape's stat system does. Gear still kind of does though.
    • Gets better at level 80, and thats the huge problem. It takes around 10 - 20 days of /played for the average player to reach Level 80. When the game as they say "truly begins" with another grind.
    • Too grindy. Makes Runescape's grind look effortless.
    • £7.99 or $15 a month is much to pay for an MMO. Runescape is not even half of that price.
    • Game community is mixed (You can sometimes meet decent players) but usually stupid. Forum community is almost as idiotic as Runescape's.

Hence, I would recommend avoiding both games.
    WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By WoodenPlatypus
    @Clbull:
    I would avoid bumping year old threads aswell :/
    Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By Mijati

It's completely pointless comparing the two games, they are nothing alike. Coming from someone who has over 100 days in each game I can't even compare the two. 99% of the comments here are from people who heard about Runescape and that people say it sucks without trying it themselves, or just played for a few minutes.

So yeah, these topics are always trollfests and really should be ignored.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.