Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 10, 2009

49 Sega classics packed into one huge compilation for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 and includes a variety of bonus material perfect for the biggest of Sega fans.

Still waiting for true sonic collection

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I'm still waiting for a true sonic collection im talking about every sonic game made pre last generation.

I would oh so love to play them all.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By DJ_Lae

I can't believe they've left out Sonic CD on every single compilation released so far.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    DJ_Lae said:
    "I can't believe they've left out Sonic CD on every single compilation released so far."
    Sonic Gems Collection
    DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By DJ_Lae
    AndrewGaspar said:
    "DJ_Lae said:
    "I can't believe they've left out Sonic CD on every single compilation released so far."
    Sonic Gems Collection"

I guess that explains why they left it out of the original Mega collection, so they could sell it pretty much as a standalone title with a handful of crappy filler games.

Still, there's no reason why it should have been excluded from the PS2's Genesis collection or the new Ultimate collection other than sheer greed on Sega's part.
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By BoG
    AndrewGaspar said:
    "DJ_Lae said:
    Sonic Gems Collection"
    The collection is worth it only for Sonic CD, a remarkably underrated game.
    CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Between Sonic Mega Collection (Plus) and Sonic Gems Collection you can get the vast majority of classic Sonic games, and I'd assume that they can be picked up for pretty cheap today.

It's too bad that they are both missing out on Sega Sonic the Hedgehog though. That, and playable content from Sonic X-treme, but that's just asking for too much. Perhaps it's much better off remaining as a distant piece of development hell history.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Kyle
    BoG said:
    "AndrewGaspar said:

The collection is worth it only for Sonic CD, a remarkably underrated game."
    Huuhh??? Remarkably underrated? It's remarkably overrated. You can't take two steps into any kind of sonic discussion without someone mentioning how amazing Sonic CD is. I don't understand why everyone sees it as being so great. As far as the old Sonic games go, Sonic CD is mediocre at best if you ask me.
    RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By RichardLOlson
    I loved sonic the hedgehog on dreamcast....that game was awsome.
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Kyle

anyways Sonic Mega Collection Plus + Sonic Gems Collection = Epic win

Actually just Sonic Mega Collection Plus by itself = Epic win, but since I know I have to come to terms with the fact that I'm the only person in the world who realizes how not-great Sonic CD is, I guess you could get the gems collection too. But then again it's only on Gamecube and playing sonic games on that controller is kind of awful, so what's the point?

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Megalon

Dude, you really don't like Sonic CD? You have played it right? I mean, I understand not everyone likes every game, but that game was way rad in my opinion.

I think it has always been considered overrated because it was released primarily on Sega CD, which only like 37 people bought (ok, there was a PC port as well). So the game never really sold number comparable to the previous Sonic games.

Even if you didn't like the game, you have to admit it was pretty cool to be able to pop that cd into you newfound cd player and listen to the soundtrack.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By PureRok

I'm just fine with them leaving out Sonic games. The less of them the better.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BoG
    Kyle said:
    "BoG said:
    "AndrewGaspar said:

The collection is worth it only for Sonic CD, a remarkably underrated game."
    Huuhh??? Remarkably underrated? It's remarkably overrated. You can't take two steps into any kind of sonic discussion without someone mentioning how amazing Sonic CD is. I don't understand why everyone sees it as being so great. As far as the old Sonic games go, Sonic CD is mediocre at best if you ask me.
    "
    For me, it was the variety of levels and bosses in addition to the enhanced objectives of each level. It gave the game more gameplay than simply running fast. The level design was simply superb, as well.
    Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    PureRok said:
    "I'm just fine with them leaving out Sonic games. The less of them the better.
    "
    Damn what a grumpy statement. I think your the only person that literally never has anything good to say on this site. :/ Sonic 3 and Knuckles is my top favorite game of all time and I was greatly disappointed that they did not include it in the latest collection. 
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By RHCPfan24

Yeah, Sonic CD is a big omission, but I just have the "Sonic Gems Collection" . 
    The Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection is really good otherwise, and has sweet achievements. I still recommend it highly.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jakob187

Well, given that it's called the ULTIMATE GENESIS COLLECTION...I'm not expecting it to have all the Sonic games...but rather good GENESIS games.

And it has Shining Force and Shining Force II, so it's auto-win.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Snail

I'm still waiting for a re-make of the first Sonic.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    jakob187 said:
    "Well, given that it's called the ULTIMATE GENESIS COLLECTION...I'm not expecting it to have all the Sonic games...but rather good GENESIS games.

Actually its called, SONICS ultimate genesis collection.

But regardlessof that i still want a collection with every single sonic game before the last gen. they could easily fit them all.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jakob187
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "Well, given that it's called the ULTIMATE GENESIS COLLECTION...I'm not expecting it to have all the Sonic games...but rather good GENESIS games.

And it has Shining Force and Shining Force II, so it's auto-win."

But regardlessof that i still want a collection with every single sonic game before the last gen. they could easily fit them all."
    They're just using Sonic as a Sega Genesis mascot.  Don't read too deeply into it.  Contractions don't = supremity in a sentence.

But I definitely agree with the fact that we need a collection with every 16-bit Sonic game on there, including Sonic CD.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#19  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "jakob187 said:

But regardlessof that i still want a collection with every single sonic game before the last gen. they could easily fit them all.
    "
    The title is the unfortunate result of Sega's US marketing department attempting to milk more crap out of the Sonic name. In Europe it's called Mega Drive Ultimate Collection, which makes sense.

And really, you get enough sonic with Mega Collection plus and Gems Collection to satisfy.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Genesis sucks.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jakob187
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Genesis sucks."
    Hang this boy from the gallows!  PRONTO!
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    jakob187 said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "Genesis sucks."
    Hang this boy from the gallows!  PRONTO!
    "
    Get'cho hands off me, white devil! 

The Genesis has one thing going for it, at least. It doesn't turn yellow with time.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

There is no japanese release that i can see and it was developed by backbone entertainment but i think it has more to do with the fact that sonic and megadrive are popular in their regions, Sonic being the official face of sega in america and megadrive being more widely recognized in europe.

As for it just being an contraction I see sonics ultimate collection and i think sonic games as most people would.
    But yeah there are a few releases missing including GBA titles, and the sonic adventure games like i said i still wanna see a total sonic collection with every game released from sonic 1-sonic adventure I can do without the GBA titles since they were developed by THQ and nintendo would have publishing rights.
    But I do believe they could fit every sonic game from 1-adventure including gamegear, pc titles. Im a stickler for completeness and don't wanna miss out on any thing.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JJOR64

Give me Sonic the Hedgehog 2 HD Remix (or something like that) and I will be happy.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jakob187
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "The Genesis has one thing going for it, at least. It doesn't turn yellow with time."
    You're gonna turn yellow as soon as I find you.  That's going to be because I'm pissing on your face, though.

WilliamRLBaker said:
    "As for it just being an contraction I see sonics ultimate collection and i think sonic games as most people would."
    So you mean you don't read things fully and in correct context, but instead you are duped easily like most consumers by simply looking at the brand name and not the actual meaning of what you are reading?  I mean, it's basic high school English, William.

Let's take this apart.

Sonic's is a contraction, which means it's a possessive word.  So what does he possess?  A Collection.  Okay, what kind of a collection?  Ultimate Genesis.  Well, there's no such thing as an Ultimate Genesis, so Ultimate must be an adjective.  Take out the adjective...

Therefore...what kind of collection is it?  GENESIS.

-_-  Not a Sonic collection.

Anyone who is willing to get easily duped into believing this is a SONIC collection deserves to get duped and disappointed.  Sorry.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    jakob187 said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "The Genesis has one thing going for it, at least. It doesn't turn yellow with time."
    You're gonna turn yellow as soon as I find you.  That's going to be because I'm pissing on your face, though.
    And now the thread gets interesting!

Anyways, the collection should probably have featured every Sonic game if it were called Sonic's Genesis Collection, even if it doesn't mean the Genesis Collection of Sonic.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    jakob187 said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:

WilliamRLBaker said:
    "As for it just being an contraction I see sonics ultimate collection and i think sonic games as most people would."
    So you mean you don't read things fully and in correct context, but instead you are duped easily like most consumers by simply looking at the brand name and not the actual meaning of what you are reading?  I mean, it's basic high school English, William.

Let's take this apart.

Sonic's is a contraction, which means it's a possessive word.  So what does he possess?  A Collection.  Okay, what kind of a collection?  Ultimate Genesis.  Well, there's no such thing as an Ultimate Genesis, so Ultimate must be an adjective.  Take out the adjective...

Anyone who is willing to get easily duped into believing this is a SONIC collection deserves to get duped and disappointed.  Sorry.
    "
    yes i must bow to you of superior intelect who never gets duped in his life never makes a mistake never does any thing wrong, you saw the name of the game without knowing the games involved and instantly though i would be a genesis broadbase collection and not a sonic collection.
    *rolls eyes*

I Think id rather go with the majority of people that see the title of the game and think its a sonic collection which is what i want, then you the minority that see it for what it is in that its a bunch of shit sega games with some true gems thrown in there to tide us over.
    Avatar image for masturbatingbear
    MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By MasturbatingBear

I think Id prefer what this is rather than what you want. Mainly cause streets of rage 2. id pay 50 dollars just for that game. I prob wouldn't play it anymore cause I played it to much but damn. Thats worth the money.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jakob187

I wasn't duped by it...because I did read the name.  When I read "Sonic Mega Collection +", then I see that there is no possessive state in that...meaning that yes, it's a Sonic collection.  I was disappointed with it in many ways, just like everyone else.  However, this one is called "Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection".  Now, if I knew nothing about the English language, then I would automatically assume that the game was nothing but Genesis-based Sonic games.  Yes.  I see your point there.  However, knowing the English language, I was able to determine that it is actually a collection of Genesis games...and that the chances are there would be Sonic games included.

So, hopefully that clarifies things a little better for you.  If not...then I would suggest taking English again.  I actually am sorry to be mean like that, but honestly...it's not like it's that hard, mang.

Either way, I thought the collection had a ton of really awesome games in it.  Then again, a lot of those games are ones that I haven't played in probably close to a decade (Kid Chameleon and Alex Kidd stand out pretty hard)...and I'm disappointed that there is no Gunstar Heroes.  However, I'll manage since they included my favorite Genesis game possible:  Shining Force II.
    MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MasturbatingBear
    jakob187 said:
    "I wasn't duped by it...because I did read the name.  When I read "Sonic Mega Collection +", then I see that there is no possessive state in that...meaning that yes, it's a Sonic collection.  I was disappointed with it in many ways, just like everyone else.  However, this one is called "Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection".  Now, if I knew nothing about the English language, then I would automatically assume that the game was nothing but Genesis-based Sonic games.  Yes.  I see your point there.  However, knowing the English language, I was able to determine that it is actually a collection of Genesis games...and that the chances are there would be Sonic games included.

So, hopefully that clarifies things a little better for you.  If not...then I would suggest taking English again.  I actually am sorry to be mean like that, but honestly...it's not like it's that hard, mang.

Either way, I thought the collection had a ton of really awesome games in it.  Then again, a lot of those games are ones that I haven't played in probably close to a decade (Kid Chameleon and Alex Kidd stand out pretty hard)...and I'm disappointed that there is no Gunstar Heroes.  However, I'll manage since they included my favorite Genesis game possible:  Shining Force II.
    "
    oh yeah, Kid Chameleon was awesome, Never played Alex Kidd and dont know what it is, prob came out before I was born like most genesis games, Shining force 1 was amazing, I played some of 2 and it seemed awesome. Still Though, Streets of Rage 2 was I think the first game I ever played. And I would still play it. Its that badass.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jakob187

Streets of Rage 2 is definitely a classic brawler that I have fond memories with.

But seriously, no Gunstar Heroes is basically a capital punishment crime.
    MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MasturbatingBear
    jakob187 said:
    "Streets of Rage 2 is definitely a classic brawler that I have fond memories with.

But seriously, no Gunstar Heroes is basically a capital punishment crime.
    "
    Oh yeah, Gunstar Heroes is a game I never played when I owned a genesis and played for the first time about a year ago when I modded my Xbox. I forget where i heard about it but I tried it out and thought it was amazing. I like the green arrow shotting gun which kinda homes in on dudes. Unfortunately haven't played it since.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PureRok

The collection was worth it just for the Shining Force games and Phantasy Star IV.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LiquidPrince

I still love Sonic III man. That game was the shit.

MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MasturbatingBear
    PureRok said:
    "The collection was worth it just for the Shining Force games and Phantasy Star IV.
    "
    And Streets of Rage 2. Speaking of Streets of Rage 2, I recommend all of you check out MasturbatingBear's in depth Streets of Rage 2 guide. Its really good.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jakob187
    LiquidPrince said:
    "I still love Sonic III man. That game was the shit."
    I'm still more of a Sonic 2 fan if we have to go by the core three.
    MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MasturbatingBear
    jakob187 said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "
    I agree, adding in Tails was awesome. Specially giving 2nd player some controll for a fun co-op experience. Speaking of fun co-op experiences, Streets of Rage 2 is a great game.Speaking of Streets of Rage 2, I recommend all of you check out MasturbatingBear's in depth Streets of Rage 2 guide. Its really good.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By LiquidPrince
    jakob187 said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "
    I love II as well, but I like the look of three's jungle levels more.

MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MasturbatingBear
    LiquidPrince said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "

"
      Heres my opinion on Jungle Levels. Streets of Rage 3 had one. Streets of Rage 3 sucked. Streets of Rage 2 had no jungle level, but still had 8 levels of fun challenging gameplay. Streets of Rage 2 was amazing.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LiquidPrince
    MasturbatingBear said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "

"
      Heres my opinion on Jungle Levels. Streets of Rage 3 had one. Streets of Rage 3 sucked. Streets of Rage 2 had no jungle level, but still had 8 levels of fun challenging gameplay. Streets of Rage 2 was amazing.
    "
    Because that analogy makes sense right?

MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MasturbatingBear

Actually in my mind it does...
    This is what games with jungle levels do to you.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By PureRok
    LiquidPrince said:
    "MasturbatingBear said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "

"
    "
    Because that analogy makes sense right?

"
    It made sense to me. He was saying... Jungle levels suck... or that Sonic sucks, but I bet it was the former.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jakob187

Yes, MasturbatingBear.  The Streets of Rage 2 page does exist.  It has pictures too.  Very good.  /pathead

Also...Halo is a pretty cool guy, I guess.  He does kill aliens, and he doesn't afraid of anything.  That is correct as well.

*runs before he is eaten by the obviously rabid and mentally disturbed bear*
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By LiquidPrince
    MasturbatingBear said:
    "Actually in my mind it does...
    This is what games with jungle levels do to you.
    "
    Alrighty. It still doesn't make sense though =P

MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MasturbatingBear

Nah I like Sonic games. Jungle levels not so much. And I am not mentally disturbed despite what my parents say.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jakob187
    MasturbatingBear said:
    "Nah I like Sonic games. Jungle levels not so much. And I am not mentally disturbed despite what my parents say."
    Man, you've gotta be pissed about Lost Planet 2 then...and all the lack of Pitfall in your life?  Yeesh.  I can't imagine what it's like.
    Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    jakob187 said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:

WilliamRLBaker said:

Let's take this apart.

"
    Your a fucking clod. Obviously any normal person would look at it like I did and say "hey, it's sonics ultimate genesis collection, that means that this has all the great sonic games I loved and a bunch of other really good genesis games". Seriously, who the fuck takes apart titles like that when looking at a product? The goal of a title is to be simple and to the point, easy to understand for people that quickly glance at it. Anyway, it isn't an ULTIMATE GENESIS anything without Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic CD, and MUSHA. 
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By PureRok
    SathingtonWaltz said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:

WilliamRLBaker said:

Let's take this apart.

"
    Your a fucking clod. Obviously any normal person would look at it like I did and say "hey, it's sonics ultimate genesis collection, that means that this has all the great sonic games I loved and a bunch of other really good genesis games". Seriously, who the fuck takes apart titles like that when looking at a product? The goal of a title is to be simple and to the point, easy to understand for people that quickly glance at it. Anyway, it isn't an ULTIMATE GENESIS anything without Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic CD, and MUSHA. 
    "
    Huh, I see Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection and see exactly what it describes. A collection of Genesis (purportedly the "Ultimate") games that are sponsored by Sonic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.