Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Street Fighter IV is Fucking Awful....

• 61 results
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

Edited By Soap

...for someone like me, and by someone like me I mean some one who has spent less than 10 hours in his life before buying SFIV playing any Street Fighter at all.

I remember hearing this game was a lot more friendly to new players than previous Street Fighter games so I thought I'd give it a go. Turns out that was pretty much bullshit wasn't it? So much shit in that game is not explained at all and I find myself turning to the internet to learn things the game can't be bothered to tell me. Yeah, thanks. It feels pretty old as well already, I haven't got a problem with it being 2D in terms of left and right movement but just linking any kind of moves together seems awkward and clunky to me and doing anything of merit on the PS3 controller seems impossible.

And online, don't even get me started on that, I was really hoping to be able to fight against a lot of new players like myself and just learn my way to getting better that way. No instead the game has ideas that I should fight people with upwards of 400/500 wins under there belt already regardless of the fact I asked it to put me against opponents of "similar skill".

P.S The amout of Ken's online is a joke as well. >_>

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Soap

...for someone like me, and by someone like me I mean some one who has spent less than 10 hours in his life before buying SFIV playing any Street Fighter at all.

I remember hearing this game was a lot more friendly to new players than previous Street Fighter games so I thought I'd give it a go. Turns out that was pretty much bullshit wasn't it? So much shit in that game is not explained at all and I find myself turning to the internet to learn things the game can't be bothered to tell me. Yeah, thanks. It feels pretty old as well already, I haven't got a problem with it being 2D in terms of left and right movement but just linking any kind of moves together seems awkward and clunky to me and doing anything of merit on the PS3 controller seems impossible.

And online, don't even get me started on that, I was really hoping to be able to fight against a lot of new players like myself and just learn my way to getting better that way. No instead the game has ideas that I should fight people with upwards of 400/500 wins under there belt already regardless of the fact I asked it to put me against opponents of "similar skill".

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Whisperkill

Yeah thats pretty much the consensus

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Randolph

SF2 HD Remix was a failure in regards to bringing in a new generation of players, SF4 has met a similar fate.  Great game, but it's still a miss in regards to getting the game to be more accessible without sacrificing the core depth that got it this far in the first place.

MisterMollusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By MisterMollusk

I have similar experience in fighting games, but I'm having a blast learning how to play this one. Nothing wrong with going online and reading/watching tutorials on how to play. It's not really the game's job to teach you how to rock. Plus, the games only been out for a weekish, so don't expect to be awesome at a game that people have been learning for 20 years. Just keep trucking! : )

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Coltonio7

WHAT'S A CHARGE MOVE RITE!!!

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
    MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By MasturbatingBear
    Randolph said:
    "SF2 HD Remix was a failure in regards to bringing in a new generation of players, SF4 has met a similar fate.  Great game, but it's still a miss in regards to getting the game to be more accessible without sacrificing the core depth that got it this far in the first place.
    "
    I dont know man. Out of all my friends in school I was pretty much the only one who had played or even knew about street fighter 2. Some of my friends would be on live and see i was playing hd and then wonder what it was. I think I managed to convince a bunch of shooter fans to start getting into more fighting games like this.

HD Remix really helped me get my friends into fighting games. And now they are going to get sf4. But generally, I can see how it failed in bringing in new players. The people online are hardcore.
    Reale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Reale
    Coltonio7 said:
    "WHAT'S A CHARGE MOVE RITE!!!
    "
    charge...move.... stop it with the jargon man, my head hurts!

unfortunately for you, you have to want to get better and have to think what you can do to get better, its a game were you have to try...

i never understood fighting games before this (i played capcom vs snk 2 but i was the "dan" of all my friends) i lost and didnt care, but now i care, learn and most of the time... win! and when i get beat, have to think about what it was i did wrong and what he did right...

its the nature of the game, its like saying "chess isnt friendly to noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooobs" i get that, but everytime you lose you can learn somthing from it, put your pride aside and learn, or go play somthing else!
    Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Randolph
    hush404 said:
    "BTW there are training modes for all the special stuff and guts of the game besides the basic kick and punch system.
    "
    The training mode is mostly useless.  It's no more advanced than the training mode in any fighting game going back to the first one to implement this feature.  It and the trials were talked up as being a really handy tool, and they failed to deliver.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Soap
    Randolph said:
    "hush404 said:
    "BTW there are training modes for all the special stuff and guts of the game besides the basic kick and punch system.
    "
    The training mode is mostly useless.  It's no more advanced than the training mode in any fighting game going back to the first one to implement this feature.  It and the trials were talked up as being a really handy tool, and they failed to deliver.
    "
    Yeah the trails are hardly useful, a lot of the symbols don't make much sense until you experiment enough to work them out and they also give no hint as to the speed you need to perform the moves or anything.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Milkman
    Coltonio7 said:
    "
    Dude, I still don't understand goddamn charge moves! WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!
    JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JohnDudebro
    Coltonio7 said:
    "
    I don't care if you're being sarcastic, you're goddamn right! How the fuck do I do a Sonic Boom? Am I supposed to hit forward and punch simultaneously, or in sequence? How long am I supposed to hold back? Why the fuck can't I seem to do it, even accidentally?

It assumes everybody coming in has basic Street Fighter knowledge. And I DON'T.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

As a guy who thought that having three punch icons next to each other meant you had to hit punch three times then spent about 45 minutes trying to get the timing down before consulting the internet to realise how wrong he was, I agree with this thread.

Neon941

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By Neon941

There's tons of inexperienced new people online, I'm starting to feel a little guilty beating so many of them (unless they play Ken). I wouldn't agree that SFIV completely shuts out new players, it certainly feels more accessable than SFIII and in some ways more accessable than SFII. Unfortunately it is one of those games you just have to muscle your way through, you're going to lose a lot more games than you win at first.

JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JohnDudebro

My problem is that they're trying to shoehorn the same gameplay from arcades onto a console that is increasingly moving away from that kind of input - to the extent that you pretty much have to buy a dedicated controller. It's total bullshit.

Someone needs to man up and make a fighting game designed for an analog stick. D-pads are the past. I'm sick of being forced to use them.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By Icemael
    HandsomeDead said:
    "As a guy who thought that having three punch icons next to each other meant you had to hit punch three times"
    Wait, it doesn't? Damn, now I understand why I could never pull off those moves...
    Dauragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dauragon

You know there was a time where the only help you got while playing street fighter was the little pictures of the move lists running up and down the borders of the screen on the arcade cabinet, or maybe that one guy who would have mercy and show you how to throw a haduken or a dragon punch.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TwoOneFive

i dunno i never played before and im learning quick on hd remix before i buy sf4

but im also learning fast that you definitely need a big pad for it, the moves are to tough to pull of on a little analog stick. 
    JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JohnDudebro
    Dauragon said:
    "You know there was a time where the only help you got while playing street fighter was the little pictures of the move lists running up and down the borders of the screen on the arcade cabinet, or maybe that one guy who would have mercy and show you how to throw a haduken or a dragon punch.
    "
    Yeah, that time was 20 years ago. It's 2009. We should be past that.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By toowalrus

There is a very long learning curve to new players. It doesn't matter to me if you quit, just don't blame the game.

Dauragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dauragon
    BananaKid said:
    "Dauragon said:
    "You know there was a time where the only help you got while playing street fighter was the little pictures of the move lists running up and down the borders of the screen on the arcade cabinet, or maybe that one guy who would have mercy and show you how to throw a haduken or a dragon punch.
    "
    Yeah, that time was 20 years ago. It's 2009. We should be past that.
    "
    Sorry I should have clarified. What I mean by that is that you guys who are complaning about how SF4 is TOO HARD 4 NOOBZ have an absolutely ridiculous amount of help waiting for you due to this magical thing called the "Internet".  Someone could learn in a half hour pretty much everythign that took me YEARS to figure out from one or two guides right here on giant bomb!

So what I'm basically trying to say is that you guys are a far cry away from the baptisim by fire that street fighter used to be. At least you aren't paying a quarter for each of those ass whuppins.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TwoOneFive
    TooWalrus said:
    "There is a very long learning curve to new players. It doesn't matter to me if you quit, just don't blame the game.
    "
    the game should have a better single player experience that makes you get better, much like how action games do it. someone new to devil may cry series would never be able to beat the last levels because they would know how to do any of the combos, but by playing through the game you steadily progress and learn each move and how to combine them etc. 
    i thought street fighter 4 would have a similarly structured single player that really starts out basic and as you played matches you would be given new moves to master and when you finally beat everyone with a certain character you should have his move list down pat. 
    JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By JJGIANT
    Soap said:
    "...for someone like me, and by someone like me I mean some one who has spent less than 10 hours in his life before buying SFIV playing any Street Fighter at all.

"

Totally agree with the kens thing but you shouldn't be using online as a meens to get better and not expect to be thrashed. That's why there are modes like challenge and training for you to hone your skills b4 you make the jump online.
    Or if you really want just play player matches, the only thing you'll be missing out on is Battle Points and who cares about those.

I've only been playing street fighter for about 2 months and I'm already pretty kick ass as Sagat. Got 72 wins 56 losses sure I lost like crap at the beggining but so does everyone, nobody starts amazingly you just have to perseveer.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By granderojo
    "TooWalrus said:
    "There is a very long learning curve to new players. It doesn't matter to me if you quit, just don't blame the game.
    "
    the game should have a better single player experience that makes you get better, much like how action games do it. someone new to devil may cry series would never be able to beat the last levels because they would know how to do any of the combos, but by playing through the game you steadily progress and learn each move and how to combine them etc. 
    i thought street fighter 4 would have a similarly structured single player that really starts out basic and as you played matches you would be given new moves to master and when you finally beat everyone with a certain character you should have his move list down pat. 
    "
    The harder difficulties in street fighter are better than most of the people online, if you want to learn how to beat Ken, go to training mode and set it to CPU on hardest difficulty and just play non stop against him.  You will learn overtime what works against Ken and what doesn't.
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kohe321

It's a really hard game but I love it.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By End_Boss

Dude, before SFIV I had never seriously gotten into a Street Fighter game either (or any fighting game, for that matter). The first time I picked up the controller, the only attack I even sort of knew was Ryu's Hadoken. Suck it up and get your ass kicked a bunch of times. That's what I did, and now I daresay I'm a pretty competent Akuma (also not bad with C. Viper).

I don't know what you mean about the game getting old... I've been playing it all week and just last night rounded out a 42-match streak against a friend of mine in the dorms. We broke 21-21 at the end of the night. That one's Gen-chi is strong.

And yes, this means there is a new player who didn't immediately latch on to Ken Master's balls. Points for me.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Chummy8

I'm right there with ya.  The last Street Fighter game I played was SFII turbo.  I won't even try to see just how much I suck now.  And from what I remember, the early Street Fighters were pretty much the same...letting you figure out the more advanced tatics yourself.

satseb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By satseb

Street Fighter 4 ftw!

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By End_Boss
    satseb said:
    "Street Fighter 4 ftw!
    "
    VALUABLE CONTRIBUTIONS ARE GUD.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By c1337us

If you have only played 10 hours of this game ever what did you expect? The game is not necessarily shit if you are shit at playing it. There are people who have been perfecting playing this game for a decade and more so I wouldnt be expecting to tear it up in online right away. I have been playing Street Fighter on and off for years and I cant compete with a majority of them either. Perservere a little and improve your skill and you should hold your own.  

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By LiquidPrince

It's not a pick up and play game... It's a game you need to master with practice.

Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kratos81
    Dauragon said:
    "
    Lol, I remember that guy who took mercy on me and showed me how to do some moves.
    JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JonathanMoore

...You could just go and learn how to play SF...besides you have the new one now...so start learning.

-- God Bless.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HandsomeDead

One thing my friend said earlier that was quite disheartening was that while I am getting better, it has only been a matter of days so I am still an absolute rookie, meanwhile he's been playing since the NES days so he reckons that no matter how good I get, it's unlikely we'll ever be even until we reach Street Fighter V or whatever comes down the road in a few years.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

if i was to play a fighting game today, it would be like me trying to walk again after a 30 year coma.

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Babble

I have found plenty of people to play with at my lower skill level. I started with no knowledge of SF. The game takes practice which does in fact pay off at some point. I am having a blast learning how to play the game and am noticing my skill increase over time.

Give it a chance and don't expect to be amazing right away.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By I_smell
    HandsomeDead said:
    "As a guy who thought that having three punch icons next to each other meant you had to hit punch three times then spent about 45 minutes trying to get the timing down before consulting the internet to realise how wrong he was, I agree with this thread.
    "
    I did exactly the same thing >:(

God, it's so fucking ridiculous that it won't tell you the controls. I'm lucky I even know what a focus move is thanks to Gamespot's video about it. It took me ages to work out why everyone kept flashing yellow. Why doesn't the game just tell you stuff like this in the training mode?

I wrote a review on it, for the 360.
    LiquidPrince said:
    "It's not a pick up and play game... It's a game you need to master with practice.
    "
    No it's different than that. The technique part is easy, knowing what to do and when to do it. It's just that the game often either doesn't tell you how to do anything, or straight up tells you the wrong buttons. That would've been allright for a game from 20 years ago, but nowadays you have to have a tutorial or something somewhere.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LiquidPrince
    I_smell said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "It's not a pick up and play game... It's a game you need to master with practice.
    "
    No it's different than that. The technique part is easy, knowing what to do and when to do it. It's just that the game often either doesn't tell you how to do anything, or straight up tells you the wrong buttons. That would've been allright for a game from 20 years ago, but nowadays you have to have a tutorial or something somewhere."
    It's never not given you the correct buttons...
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By I_smell

Oh yeah, cos you do an ultra combo by pressing punch three times.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Otacon

I agree with you actually, yet I still can't get enough of the game. There should be a proper tutorial mode that gets players on their feet.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LiquidPrince
    I_smell said:
    "Oh yeah, cos you do an ultra combo by pressing punch three times.
    "
    That's not punch three times... That means press heavy, medium and light punch all at the same time... There is even a dedicated button for it...
    granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By granderojo
    LiquidPrince said:
    "I_smell said:
    "
    That's not punch three times... That means press heavy, medium and light punch all at the same time... There is even a dedicated button for it...
    "
    left bumper is punch three times.
    granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By granderojo
    LiquidPrince said:
    "I_smell said:
    "
    "
    left bumper is punch three times.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By crunchUK

i used to be beast at soul calibur. I don't think i've enjoyed a fighting game since

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HandsomeDead
    LiquidPrince said:
    "I_smell said:
    "
    "
    I made the same mistake though. When you see Punch Punch Punch, you instinctively think that's the combo rather than press the button which has all three punch buttons on it.
    MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MichaelBach

Yeah, that's SF IV for you. I just rented it becuase I am an casual fighting game player hoping this game will also be open for normal peeps.. but I am glad I only rented it... this is ONLY fun if I play some friends that are not street fighter nuts.

I'm just speaking for myself ofcourse. I can see how hardcore gamers love this. Great grafics, true to SF and so on. I will still try it out a few more days, maby I can figure out how to do some cewl looking combos.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By jakob187

ZOMG A GAME IS NOT EASY TO AUTOMATICALLY PICK UP AND I HAVE TO PUT EFFORT INTO IT TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT GOOD???!!!

Run back to your Smash Bros and Soul Calibur plox.  kthxbai

So sick of hearing people whine because they don't want to take a couple of hours to read the instruction manual or play around in the training mode.  Yeesh...
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#48  Edited By ImperiousRix

I reluctantly agree.  The game has a pretty steep learning curve and if you really don't have the patience and nerves to get your ass kicked a gajillion times, you're not gonna have a great time at it.  My brother personally hadn't played a SF game since II back on the Genesis, and I thought this game might bring him back into the franchise.
    Sadly, he seems to have met a similar fate as you.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    BananaKid said:
    "My problem is that they're trying to shoehorn the same gameplay from arcades onto a console that is increasingly moving away from that kind of input - to the extent that you pretty much have to buy a dedicated controller. It's total bullshit.

Someone needs to man up and make a fighting game designed for an analog stick. D-pads are the past. I'm sick of being forced to use them.
    "
    I think the only fighting game that works great on an analog stick is Smash Bros. I love that game. 
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By I_smell
    jakob187 said:
    "So sick of hearing people whine because they don't want to take a couple of hours to read the instruction manual or play around in the training mode.  Yeesh..."
    The training mode is useless. That's what this conversation is about.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.