Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Bad Reviews of Uncharted 2

matraque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By matraque

I have nothing against opinions.  Actually, this next post is an opinion.  I find it really funny that some smaller community website will give a "bad" review to a game that is a metacritics of 97.  Especially when their issues with the game are as small as: 

-Have to press a button to pick up an ammo clip. 
    -The eyes of girls characters looks weird. 
    -It's too linear. 
    -Bad guys bullet sponges. (funny because they aren't compared to Uncharted 1)
    -Fight same group of bad guys over and over (what do you expect...? 1000 different made up militia dudes?)
    -Same guns as in uncharted 1. 
    -Drake is a lucky buffoon. 

It feels like... It feels like they know their bad review will get posted on very popular communities and will get page views out of it.  It feels like they know fanboys will register and post comments.  There are better ways to generate hits on your site... Post good content.

matraque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By matraque

I have nothing against opinions.  Actually, this next post is an opinion.  I find it really funny that some smaller community website will give a "bad" review to a game that is a metacritics of 97.  Especially when their issues with the game are as small as: 

-It's too linear. 
    -Fight same group of bad guys over and over (what do you expect...? 1000 different made up militia dudes?)
    -Same guns as in uncharted 1. 
    -Drake is a lucky buffoon. 

It feels like... It feels like they know their bad review will get posted on very popular communities and will get page views out of it.  It feels like they know fanboys will register and post comments.  There are better ways to generate hits on your site... Post good content.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By eroticfishcake

It could be that, or maybe they're shit at reviewing games. Maybe even both. Still, if someone doesn't like it but you do then that's what really matters.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kohe321

Hmm yeah. If you can find a problem with uncharted 2, then you want to find it.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TwoOneFive

who cares. we all know youd have to be a cynical prick to dislike that game so fuck em

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By dogbox

Agreed totally; I can't really think of any significant faults that detract from Uncharted 2.

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Reuben

All those points listed are a bunch of doodoo. That sounds like someone is mad at the game or something lol

matraque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By matraque

It's not that they dislike it... They mostly say it's a good game, but does not deserve the great reviews it's getting. 

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By TheKidNixon
    @Kohe321 said:
    " Hmm yeah. If you can find a problem with uncharted 2, then you want to find it. "
    I'm not sure if I agree with that. Yes, the general consensus of the game is that its fantastic, wonderful, "best game ever" material...but as we've said ten thousand times before, there is no such thing as an objectively "good" game because personal taste just differs so much. What if I'm not interested in the traverse-then-shoot gameplay of Uncharted? What if I appreciate a more strategic level of gameplay? I'd dare say that if you put the game in front of someone who spends most of their time playing map-based war simulators, they would find plenty to complain about. 

Yes, the above does sound like a click-bating review of "Look at me, I go against the grain," but at the same time I think its dangerous in turn to say any game is above criticism or that someone is "wrong" for not enjoying it.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By GunstarRed
    @Kohe321:
    nah, it's my favourite game of the year so far (that isnt Street fighter IV) and the game definately has some problems.. 

elenas eyes do look weird in some sequences, the light glinting off of them is kind of strange at times... there is a LOT of enemy spamming to compensate for teh lack of bullet sponges and in a bunch of the chapters  someone almost falls to their death and someone catches them...its fine like 2 or so times but it happens like 12 times throughout the game.
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kohe321

I'm not talking about nit-picky stuff, I'm talking about a problem that can justify a low score. If you look at the whole package, Uncharted 2 is an objectively a fantastic game with awesome value for money. It looks a little "look at me" when a reviewer scores it low because something like Elenas eyes looking weird in some scenes, or something similar small, and completely misses the big picture.

If a person doesn't like the game because of a general issue like it's setting/theme or just hate it's main characters (for whatever reason), then that is totally fine. But he shouldn't review it, then. Just like Giantbomb doesn't review much sports games, because they don't like the genre.

The fact that Uncharted 2 is a quality game is beyond question at this point. All it boils down to is taste and personal preference. To give it a low score because you have to press a button to pick up ammo is missing the point in my opinion.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheKidNixon

Again, I don't believe that there is ANY game, even my favorite games ever, that are excellent in a fundamental way that is "above question." That sort of mind sight is the death of any criticism; why have game reviews or editorial content at all if we can objectively declare if a game is good or not down at the Game Quality Lab (located in Pasadena, I'm sure.)

matraque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By matraque

Something i would like to add that i feel is important: 
    -I do agree that if the particular reviewers does not like that type of game... he should not write a review about it 

Those websites will also, after bringing the game down for several paragraph,  conclude by semi praising the game and give it a somehow perfect score so they can defend themselves.   I mean... if you bring the game down at least be consistent.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By angelkanarias

lol 

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @Kohe321 said:
    " Hmm yeah. If you can find a problem with uncharted 2, then you want to find it. "
    Uh.... Uncharted 2 has many problems. Some more than others and some that make you say "What the fuck were they thinking?" 

@matraque said:

-It's too linear. 
    -Fight same group of bad guys over and over (what do you expect...? 1000 different made up militia dudes?)-Same guns as in uncharted 1.  

They aren't necessarily valid but they're certainly not small.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jimbo

Did they actually say those things and then conclude it was a bad game because of them?  Maybe there's more value in pointing out perceived flaws, no matter how insignificant they may seem, than just saying 'ZOMG AWESOME' 10 extra times.

The lowest review score I can see on on metacritic is 90%, so who are these people out there giving it bad reviews?

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kohe321
    @TheKidNixon said:

" Again, I don't believe that there is ANY game, even my favorite games ever, that are excellent in a fundamental way that is "above question." That sort of mind sight is the death of any criticism; why have game reviews or editorial content at all if we can objectively declare if a game is good or not down at the Game Quality Lab (located in Pasadena, I'm sure.) "

Nah I disagree. I definitely think you can say if a game is objectively good or not, but you can't make everyone like it (we're back at personal taste). If it has fun gameplay and a story that draws you in, and maybe even a great audiovisual presentation (though the latter isn't needed to make a good game), then you have a good game. Just like you can say that Big Rigs is an objectively bad game. It's poorly made, and it lacks the things that makes a good game.

The thing you can't do is name a game that is objectively the best game ever. Everyone will make their own favorite, and you can't make an objective decision out of something that is as subjective as taste to name one winner of them all. What you can do, however, is appreciate and aknowledge something as a quality product and a "good game". You don't need a lab to do this.
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By VWGTI
    @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " @Kohe321 said:
    Uh.... Uncharted 2 has many problems. Some more than others and some that make you say "What the fuck were they thinking?"
    I concur. There were several extremely frustrating design flaws/choices that sometimes took the momemtum out of the game. Still, fantastic game.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#18  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @VWGTI said:
    " @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " @Kohe321 said:
    I concur. There were several extremely frustrating design flaws/choices that sometimes took the momemtum out of the game. Still, fantastic game. "
    Yes, but every annoying  thing they're were 4 or 5 amazing things.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By delta_ass

Bullet sponges definitely still exist, they're just a small subsection of the enemies now. The big armored guy with the shotgun? Kind of a bullet sponge. The big armored guy with the minigun? Kind of a bullet sponge. Crazy Guardian ogre guy in Shambala? Kind of a bullet sponge.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kohe321

@VWGTI said:

" I concur. There were several extremely frustrating design flaws/choices that sometimes took the momemtum out of the game. Still, fantastic game. "

@SJSchmidt93 said:

" Yes, but every annoying  thing they're were 4 or 5 amazing things. "

Yeah, exactly my point. I agree with both of you that the game has flaws, but just like you two I look at the big picture. Overall it's a fantastic game. :)
    TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheKidNixon
    @Kohe321 

As to not hijack the original purpose of the thread, I will just respectfully disagree.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By Evilsbane

I don't care what kind of Fanboi you are No one can say that game is bad it has more production value than many movies, and as retarded as those commercials seem where the guys girlfriend thinks its a movie they weren't kidding my girlfriend was stunned by how it looked, It is like playing the CG movie Beowulf but whoever says graphics are not important is crazy I can't take my eyes off this game.

The only issue I have has nothing to do with game really, I don't like how I can't use the Triggers to aim and shoot having to use the bumpers is driving me fucking crazy.

matraque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By matraque

@TheKidNixon: don't worry ;) 

It's curious that, for example, Batman: AA, to my knowledge, did not saw those kinds of reviews....  Writing a negative review to bring in some page views from fanboys.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By TheHBK

Even though its better than the first game, the enemies still suck up more bullets than you think they should.  And its gay when armored guys come out and you have to use a whole clip on them.  And head shots are not so easy to pull off, that you have to seemingly aim above the nose.  Hit the guy in the mouth, or what should be the mouth, he just recoils back as if he got hit in the shoulder.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ninjakiller

Bullet sponges make sense this time they're wearing body armor this time out. 

Celegus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Celegus

I'm guessing this is about the Aaron Thomas "review"? If so, explaining it as a bulleted list of the things he said without any other context is completely different than what his article actually meant.

wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By wealllikepie

even though everybody already knows this, i was still pretty frustrated with the gamespot review. they lowered it a full half a point just because aiming is difficult in tough spaces. i honestly think thats knit picking and lowering the mark so much just because of that is ridiculous. plus, you can just use blindfire in tight spaces, it's much easier

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By FireBurger

Yes, some bad guys took a few too many bullets, but as long as it's consistent, I don't really mind too much. It never got to the point where it annoyed me.

The one thing I agree with after thinking back on it (and without having seen others' complaints yet) is the picking up of ammo. Often, I would find myself accidentally picking up a weapon I didn't want that was right next to the ammo that I did want. This could especially be an issue in combat.

Still, neither of these things merits giving the game any less of a score. It just does so many things well. Personally, I think it's one of those games that comes along and completely raises the bar, changing how you evaluate all other similar experiences after that.

matraque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By matraque
    @Celegus said:
    " I'm guessing this is about the Aaron Thomas "review"? If so, explaining it as a bulleted list of the things he said without any other context is completely different than what his article actually meant. "
    No, it's a list of stuff i have seen in some of the reviews have a read... nothing specific and i feel i don't have to mention which one they are. 

All i'm saying is that i feel that some of these are just looking for page views and they get them by writing what seems to be a negative review.
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Kohe321
    @TheKidNixon said:
    " @Kohe321   As to not hijack the original purpose of the thread, I will just respectfully disagree. "
    Yeah I guess we'll just agree to disagree :p
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By subject2change

Some people did take too many bullets but they are all in bullet proof vests and with helmets on, aim for the god damn head. It was no where near as bad as the 1st one and thankfully had less "mutant" people to deal with as well.

Chloe's eyes did weird me out a bit at times during the FMVs but Elena's looked fine.

Linear? Its a fucking 3rd person shooter/adventure game driven by a story...

Drake being lucky...ya go watch some Indiana Jones movies or hell any action movie...it's the same concept just in game form. 

People are just nitpicking for the sake of being critical, some of the platforming and controls felt bad/wonky at times but nothing to cry about. Really loved this game and everything else this year won't be able to compare to the sheer awesome experience I had with this game. If they wanted to do anything extra create a bunch of various facial features and randomly generate faces/heads on enemy militia dudes just to give it some variation.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#32  Edited By delta_ass
    @ninjakiller said:
    " Bullet sponges make sense this time they're wearing body armor this time out.  "
    Body armor isn't that effective. Especially against 7.62mm AK rounds.
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By subject2change
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " @ninjakiller said:
    " Bullet sponges make sense this time they're wearing body armor this time out.  "
    Body armor isn't that effective. Especially against 7.62mm AK rounds. "
    While that is completely true it is a video game. How fun would it be to just take 2-3 bullets to every guy shot in the chest from range with an AK, the same would be needed to done to Drake for him to die. I can understand point blank shotgun blasts or even close fire AK Spray but it's a game based on a treasure hunter.
    mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mhkjtha
    @matraque said:
    What's so terrible about that? :\
    Mrsomeone77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#35  Edited By Mrsomeone77

All I can say is regardless of any review I've read (which are few), this game is outstanding! A bit easy as to compared to some others in the same genre, but outstanding nevertheless. One of the reasons I had to buy a PS3 (with Demon's Souls being the top reason). Fanboys will be fanboys, and gamers will play the games they love, not the games they're told to love. This game will change the way developers make games in the future without question.

Kenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Kenny
    @TheKidNixon:  I'd have to disagree with the opinion changes the fact that a game is good or not. For instance I'm not a big fan of the RTS genre but if i heard that a particular game was absolutely amazing and decided to try it whether or not i enjoyed the game personally won't change the fact that I can see and understand why everyone else who enjoys the game so much. Me not being a fan of the genre makes my opinion of that game poor but I am still able to acknowledge the fact that the game is amazing for people who like the genre. Not sure how understandable that is but it makes sense in my head.
    nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By nick_verissimo

I find it somewhat silly to look at the score of games anymore.  I think most of us on here can avoid all the bullshit and narrow down what does and doesn't work for us in the games we play independent of what the actual score comes out.  If you're on giant bomb, you're an informed gamer and I really don't think any of us should care too much of what a game scores.  Personally, I've only seen the first 8 or so chapters of the game and I've got to say it's one of the most impressive games I've seen in action in very long time.  Because of the way they've put most of that game together I hardly care about any of the small negatives due in large part to how exciting that game can be.   It's definitely a special game.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By MildMolasses

Of all the things to pick on, the only thing on that list that I think has any validity, is the linearity. But as it isn't a sandbox game, then you really can't expect it to be non-linear. 

The other things are just nit-picking. What game doesn't have repeating enemies? Since the vast majority of the enemies are human soldiers, there's only so much that can be done with them. But they are at least distinguishable by what type they are. The ones with chain guns, the heavily armoured shock troopers which always comes in threes, the sniper/rocket launcher guys. You can tell what the enemy is very quickly by the outfit they're wearing. And this isn't any different than any other game. Space invaders have enemy types. You know what behaviours to expect when you see one. Same with Halo, Gears, Killzone, etc. 

And the eye thing. What game doesn't have weird eyes. It's pretty much the last hurdle in the uncanny valley problem. Eyes are hard to do, and they always look messed up, in pretty much every game. So do teeth, bu that wasn't mentioned

tastyhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tastyhouse

The fact you have to hit triangle to pick up ammo is kind of stupid (NO I DON'T WANT TO CARRY ALL THOSE BULLETS!) but if thats your only valid argument then I'd say the game is pretty good.  Its probably the best game I've played since mass effect.  They've done pretty much everything right.  *Am not a fanboy*.

ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ieatlions

or could it be that they didn't just like uncharted 2?

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#41  Edited By spankingaddict

ok... having to pick up ammo is a good thing. and drake being very lucking... ok do they want him to die and have the game 1 hour long?

tastyhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By tastyhouse
    @ieatlions said:
    " or could it be that they didn't just like uncharted 2? "
    I think the point of the post is that the reasons for not liking it are pretty weak.  Everybody is obviously entitled to their opinion. 
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43  Edited By Willy105

No game is perfect. But just like complaining Super Mario Galaxy has too many colors, some complaints are just there to keep sanity.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TwoOneFive

i hate when people complain about a game being linear. the best games, most fun games are always like that. not every fucking game needs to be gta4 (which is mostly boring)

Turtlefuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46  Edited By Turtlefuzz
    @Kohe321 said:
    This.
    PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By PercyChuggs

Who the hell cares about other peoples reviews, they have no bearing on if you enjoy the game or not.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By hermes

Although most of those points are true, they are not issues that would make the game bad in any extend. They are obviously trying to get attention by being "rebels" and going against the common opinion, which, considering this thread, they pretty much succeded.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By Rowr

More likely they are just bad reviewers.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " who cares. we all know youd have to be a cynical prick to dislike that game so fuck em "
    Looks like I am a cynical prick too. I don't like the game due to personal tastes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.