Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Do you guys like Uncharted 2? Aaron Thomas doesn't.

• 74 results
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By MetalGearSunny

There's a nifty article over at Bitmob that consists of reasons why Aaron Thomas doesn't like Uncharted 2. It's maybe the weirdest thing I've seen, because he compares the game to one of his friends going through cancer. To me, I don't think he's giving the game a fair chance, and he's incorporating the things that is happening in his life right now to the quality of the game. At least that's what I think. Check it out and see what you can make out of it!

Pavera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Pavera

When you're mad about having to press a button to pick up ammo, it's obvious you're searching for reasons to hate the game. Sorry about his friend though, cancer is every bit as awful as it sounds.

Womble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Womble

...I like it.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By breadfan

Well like the titles says, nobody should care that he doesn't like it.  It's his opinion, we're all entitled.

thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By thordain

I think all it is is that he and his friend are going through some hard times, and he trying to take some of that out on uncharted with his message that there are more important things in life than video games. Is he right? Definitely. Is his taking it out on Uncharted 2 fair to them game? Not really. Could he just maybe not like the game, cause not everybody has to like what you like? Also a possibility.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By ArchScabby

What?  He doesn't like uncharted? CLEARLY HE IS 360 TEH BIASED!!!! ANYBOODY WHO SAIDS uNCHARTED IS CRAP IS OVIUSLY BIASED.  THIS GUY SHOOD BE FIRD!

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @ArchScabby said:
    " What?  He doesn't like uncharted? CLEARLY HE IS 360 TEH BIASED!!!! ANYBOODY WHO SAIDS uNCHARTED IS CRAP IS OVIUSLY BIASED.  THIS GUY SHOOD BE FIRD! "
    Last time I checked, he's a freelancer. 
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ArchScabby
    @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    " @ArchScabby said:
    " What?  He doesn't like uncharted? CLEARLY HE IS 360 TEH BIASED!!!! ANYBOODY WHO SAIDS uNCHARTED IS CRAP IS OVIUSLY BIASED.  THIS GUY SHOOD BE FIRD! "
    Last time I checked, he's a freelancer.  "
    Freelancer?  Like he fights with swords?
    ezekielzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By ezekielzero
    @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    " @ArchScabby said:
    Last time I checked, he's a freelancer.  "
    then they should HIRE him then FIRE him
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By mordukai

Who?

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @ArchScabby: Hey, you know what I mean.
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ArchScabby
    @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    " @ArchScabby: Hey, you know what I mean. "
    Alright, I'm stopping now.
    dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By dethfish

I wonder who that former Gamespot employee is that Aaron was arguing with.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Driadon

Sounds like he's just stressed to hell and when that happens you start taking it out on things you love. He really rectifies himself in the structuring of the article and his posts in the comments.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pause422

I never liked Aaron Thomas to begin with, so I really dont care at all what he thinks.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Griddler

It's strange to me that he focused that article so much on Uncharted 2.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#18  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @Dethfish77 said:
    " I wonder who that former Gamespot employee is that Aaron was arguing with. "
    Yeah, it is better when they name names. :p
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By TheHBK

i thought pressing triangle to pick up ammo fit.  It makes sense to have to stop to pick up something, not just run over it.

I will say however, that Uncharted 2 was not that amazing of a game, but it is an amazing experience.  The gameplay itself is good and competent, sections of shooting or climbing never last too long.  Wish there was one more thing he would do like driving or harder puzzles, and not ones where you just look in your book for the answer.  But the camera, the cinematic pieces of climbing, like that first sequence, how the camera moves when you are climbing other stuff or going through a crevice, the character banter in game, the cinematics.  It all makes for something i will remember.

The only thing I do hate about the game, is the inability to run and melee at the same time, especially in the multiplayer.  It doest have to be halo where the melee is homed in and dashes to someone, but that my feet are planted to melee is really retarded.

allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By allprox

Sorry to go off topic but...
    I couldn't remember what Aaron Thomas  looked like from my gamespot days, so I googled his name with safe search off.
    That was a mistake.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lashe

I quite like Aaron Thomas. Sorry he didn't have the same opinion as you (or me for that matter) but he's entitled to it.

EDIT - Probably should have read the article, but this was more a reply to what the OP/Title was about. Having read the article now, it was a great read.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

Aaron Thomas:

I’ve written this article to remind myself just what is -- and isn’t -- important in this world. It turns out that video games aren’t all that important. Arguing whether or not a game or a console is good or not... everyone’s life should be so amazing that they have time to worry about such petty and trivial matters.  

This is what the article is actually about. Not about him hating Uncharted 2 or him thinking most of his peers are moronic for loving the hell out of it.
    fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fr0br0

It's not really a blog to why he doesn't like Uncharted 2, but how Uncharted helped him mature. Pretty interesting piece of writing, though.

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By teptom

Wow, a lot of you are missing the point of this article. It's really not about him disliking Uncharted, but the fact that he's angry at himself for arguing and getting worked up about something that in the grand scheme of things, isn't all that important. He's saying video games aren't the most important things in the world. 

You guys are treating this like another Uncharted thread, when it should be about how important games truly are over everything else.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jimbo

That ammo thing did strike me as a jarring design choice in the first game though, I'm surprised they didn't change it.  Not that it's exactly a big deal or anything.

Kinda strange wasting time writing a blog about how you regret wasting time playing a game.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I really liked the article. It was mocking the petty quibbles fanboys have by comparing them to real problems, and claiming that the reason it hasn't received any negative reviews is because reviewers are worried about a backlash from fanboys. I suspect that maybe he actually liked Uncharted 2 (just maybe not quite as much as everyone else seems to be liking it) but is using this to criticize both petty fanboys for their dumb, stupid arguments and reviewers for pandering to the fanboys expectations.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Rowr

burn the heretic.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Shadow

This is the only review of Aaron's I've ever trusted, for the Flip Video Soft Pouch: 

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful:
    Horrible Case,

By Aaron Thomas - See all my reviews

This case was absolutely horrible...the whole thing is sewn shut to the point that there's a tiny little slit that you're supposed to squeeze the camera through. I can't imagine a more poorly designed case for this camera...  
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EvilTwin

I think it's kind of inevitable that knowing someone with a terminal illness is going to make a lot of things you do seem petty and trivial.  Of course, it's also kind of inevitable that we as humans are going to do those petty and trivial things anyways.  Basically, we need to be reminded every few years or so that we "don't know what we got til it's gone".  

Basically what I'm trying to say is, cancer sucks, but I'm not really sure this article belongs on bitmob.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#30  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I think it's less about Uncharted 2 and more about what is happening in his life, which probably gives him a sense of perspective. I thought Aaron Thomas was ok when he was at Gamespot, but definitely not my favorite. After all, at least he's better than the "inexperienced young guy who gives every game a 9/10" that GS seems to be hiring nowadays.

aceedkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By aceedkins
    @Pavera said:
    " When you're mad about having to press a button to pick up ammo, it's obvious you're searching for reasons to hate the game. Sorry about his friend though, cancer is every bit as awful as it sounds. "
    I hated the fact that you couldn't lock on to enemies. Totally made the game unplayable.
    Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

#32  Edited By Eder

He have Ratchet & Clank Future: TOD a 7.5 so this doesn't surprise me.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By rjayb89  Online

I've enjoyed what I've played so far.  Don't care what anyone else says, as does Thomas.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LiquidPrince

No Caption Provided
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By toowalrus

Aaron Thomas always hates good games. He rated Mercs 2 lower than Fable II Pub Games. (I'm not saying Mercs is on the same level as Uncharted, but it's not terrible).

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By RHCPfan24

That was actually a very good article. He does make a great point that arguing over a video game is petty when compared to the big things in life. Yeah, sure, maybe he was acting angry over the game for no reason but he learned from his mistakes. I am sorry about his friend too.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Damian

So let this be a lesson to us all: Only disagree with the opinions of those who's friends are cancer-free or else they'll feel entitled to give you a lecture on priorities via video game blog.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By OmegaPirate

No Caption Provided
    AaronThomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AaronThomas

To those who took the time to read the article, thank you. To those that don't "get" what I wrote: I'm saying that I was stupid to get so emotionally involved in a bunch of opinions over a video game. While I was worried about something stupid that I didn't like, my friend was laying in a bed, dying of cancer. I feel like a terrible person that I spent my time arguing about a game and not trying to be a better friend. 

I didn't know she was sick again when I was sharing my thoughts on the game, but that's beside the point. I took things too seriously, and I feel awful for it. I'm not really trying to say anything about the game, other than have fun with it and don't get wrapped up in whether or not other people share your opinion. 

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @OmegaPirate: LOL!
    RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RedRoach
    @PeasForFees said:
    " @Metal_Gear_Sunny: He is ok, but that was a bit stupid, reminds me of My name was Endogene "
    please don't bring up that stupid mellow dramatic thing again.

I really don't agree with Aaron, for many reasons, i think he may just be in a bad mood, but still, his hatred is a tad ridiculous. well everyone is entitled to an opinion.
    Avatar image for carolinafan3515
    CarolinaFan3515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CarolinaFan3515
    @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    " There's a nifty article over at Bitmob that consists of reasons why Aaron Thomas doesn't like Uncharted 2. It's maybe the weirdest thing I've seen, because he compares the game to one of his friends going through cancer. To me, I don't think he's giving the game a fair chance, and he's incorporating the things that is happening in his life right now to the quality of the game. At least that's what I think. Check it out and see what you can make out of it! "
    Yeah.  For some reason Aaron just doesn't dig this game.  His last few posts on Facebook have been about not liking this game.  I guess every man is allowed to have his own opinion, but damn this is a good game.
    MCXCI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MCXCI

Aaron Thomas is a great writer but that post didn't show it.

Avatar image for coffeeandabagel
    CoffeeandaBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CoffeeandaBagel
    @EvilTwin said:
    " I think it's kind of inevitable that knowing someone with a terminal illness is going to make a lot of things you do seem petty and trivial.  Of course, it's also kind of inevitable that we as humans are going to do those petty and trivial things anyways.  Basically, we need to be reminded every few years or so that we "don't know what we got til it's gone".    Basically what I'm trying to say is, cancer sucks, but I'm not really sure this article belongs on bitmob. "
    I agree. I'd like to think your average person would read this article and feel sympathy for Aaron Thomas, compassion for his poor friend and agree that video games aren't worth getting too worked up over. However, I think the article is in poor taste. If I was Mr. Thomas's unfortunate friend, I wouldn't appreciate my tragic circumstances being used to say something so obvious. 

His ultimate point is the irrelevance of his opinion, but he still gives it.  I found it to be a cheap piece of writing. It reminded me of every instance I've ever encountered of someone milking tragedy to validate a point or vindicate themselves.  

Boo. 
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Milkman

This doesn't seem like it's about Uncharted 2 at all. He's obviously going through something really hard right now and it seems like he's struggling to find how to deal with it. I'm not sure if writing that article is the best way to deal with it but hey, whatever works. I would think that he would want to keep work and his life separate.

chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#46  Edited By chstupid

Now I'm sad :(
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By get2sammyb
    @MattyFTM said:
    " I really liked the article. It was mocking the petty quibbles fanboys have by comparing them to real problems, and claiming that the reason it hasn't received any negative reviews is because reviewers are worried about a backlash from fanboys. I suspect that maybe he actually liked Uncharted 2 (just maybe not quite as much as everyone else seems to be liking it) but is using this to criticize both petty fanboys for their dumb, stupid arguments and reviewers for pandering to the fanboys expectations. "
    While I agree that some reviews do "play-safe" and can see that point -- it frightens me that people can argue beauracracy (sp?) when a game is a success.

Can we no longer honour something that's great without questioning the motives?
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Hamz

I think some of you are missing the point of his article and taking it at face value. Sure he doesn't like Uncharted 2 but that ISN'T the focus or reason he has written that article. The reason he's written that is to show, symbolise even, that the fact he doesn't like Uncharted 2 when so many others do is irrelevant compared to bigger more important things, like his friend dying of cancer.

We gamers spend so much of our time arguing and comparing our views over video games and take it seriously enough to waste large chunks of our time in doing so. When the really important things like spending what time you have with friends and family are neglected. Essentially we have our priorities so fucking wrong that by the time we do perhaps realise we have them wrong it's too late to spend the time we lost with friends or family. And in Aaron's case what he is pointing out is that because his friend is dying from cancer the time she has left to live is not going to allow her to spend much time doing anything with friends. He isn't going to be able to make up to her the time he's missed by spending it elsewhere bitching about video games with people on the internet because she doesn't have much time left to live.

In short what he's trying to say is that the amount of time we spend bitching on the internet over review scores could be better spent enjoying our life, friends, family and the time we have with them. Because eventually it'll be too late, eventually you'll never be able to make up for that lost time with friends and family. Eventually all those moments you didn't spend hanging out with a friend and instead argued over review scores with the internet are a complete and utter fucking waste of time.

We as a collective group and community of gamers devote too much of our time too and take our hobby far too seriously. We place such importance on it that we consider it higher in our priorities than our social life in many ways. And that the fact it takes a friend dying of cancer, in Aaron's example, to suddenly put everything into perspective is saddening. How many of us have spent maybe half an hour arguing on a topic on a message board because site X gave game Y a review score of X when we feel it deserved something better or worse? A half hour we could have, no, should have spent doing something better and productive like hanging out with a friend.

I think Aaron's article is brilliant. I'm sorry to hear his friend is dying, but his article is a brilliant and emotional example of what is entirely wrong with the way video game communities act and established site's help breed. We all spend far too much time wasted on bickering over video games and the slightest little thing over them, like Aaron's example of pressing a button to pick up ammo in Uncharted 2, that it really is bloody depressing to think how low we all sink at times.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#49  Edited By oldschool
    @AaronThomas said:
    " To those who took the time to read the article, thank you. To those that don't "get" what I wrote: I'm saying that I was stupid to get so emotionally involved in a bunch of opinions over a video game. While I was worried about something stupid that I didn't like, my friend was laying in a bed, dying of cancer. I feel like a terrible person that I spent my time arguing about a game and not trying to be a better friend.  I didn't know she was sick again when I was sharing my thoughts on the game, but that's beside the point. I took things too seriously, and I feel awful for it. I'm not really trying to say anything about the game, other than have fun with it and don't get wrapped up in whether or not other people share your opinion.  "
    Is this confirmed as the real AaronThomas or a fake? 

@Hamz  
    Quite true Hamz and spending the last week of staying home and caring for someone I love, I am probably a bit more mellow myself of late.  It is still nice talking to people on the internet as it can provide a good escape and unnecessary bickering can diminish that relaxation quite a bit.
    noextralife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By noextralife

@Hamz said:

" I think some of you are missing the point of his article and taking it at face value. Sure he doesn't like Uncharted 2 but that ISN'T the focus or reason he has written that article. The reason he's written that is to show, symbolise even, that the fact he doesn't like Uncharted 2 when so many others do is irrelevant compared to bigger more important things, like his friend dying of cancer.

We gamers spend so much of our time arguing and comparing our views over video games and take it seriously enough to waste large chunks of our time in doing so. When the really important things like spending what time you have with friends and family are neglected. Essentially we have our priorities so fucking wrong that by the time we do perhaps realise we have them wrong it's too late to spend the time we lost with friends or family. And in Aaron's case what he is pointing out is that because his friend is dying from cancer the time she has left to live is not going to allow her to spend much time doing anything with friends. He isn't going to be able to make up to her the time he's missed by spending it elsewhere bitching about video games with people on the internet because she doesn't have much time left to live.

In short what he's trying to say is that the amount of time we spend bitching on the internet over review scores could be better spent enjoying our life, friends, family and the time we have with them. Because eventually it'll be too late, eventually you'll never be able to make up for that lost time with friends and family. Eventually all those moments you didn't spend hanging out with a friend and instead argued over review scores with the internet are a complete and utter fucking waste of time.

We as a collective group and community of gamers devote too much of our time too and take our hobby far too seriously. We place such importance on it that we consider it higher in our priorities than our social life in many ways. And that the fact it takes a friend dying of cancer, in Aaron's example, to suddenly put everything into perspective is saddening. How many of us have spent maybe half an hour arguing on a topic on a message board because site X gave game Y a review score of X when we feel it deserved something better or worse? A half hour we could have, no, should have spent doing something better and productive like hanging out with a friend.  I think Aaron's article is brilliant. I'm sorry to hear his friend is dying, but his article is a brilliant and emotional example of what is entirely wrong with the way video game communities act and established site's help breed. We all spend far too much time wasted on bickering over video games and the slightest little thing over them, like Aaron's example of pressing a button to pick up ammo in Uncharted 2, that it really is bloody depressing to think how low we all sink at times. "

I do agree that the article is eye opening and some of the issues he brings up should be refelected upon by alot of people, and as someone who has dealt with cancer more than once I can understand how he maybe feeling, I would say however that I don't think he is in the correct frame of mind to get enjoyment out of anything, you could maybe replace uncharted 2 with any game or medium and in the wrong frame of mind, be it depression or otherwise only come out of it with negative feelings.  (I think we can all think of an example of this in are lifes)

And as you say Hamz as much as we all at times take things to seriously and overlook the bigger picture we also at times look for things to blame, things to attack even if its unwarranted, just to make ourselves feel better.

Now whether or not these are Aaron’s true feeling about the game, and if they are then more power to him, I disagree but it’s his opinion and it should be respected, it doesn’t change the fact that he may have been better off putting the game down and coming back when he was in a better frame of mind, with my pervious job if I felt I wasn't in the correct frame of mind I wouldn't carry out the work as it would undoubtedly effect the quality and content of that work, which would have been of no benefit to myself or my customers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.