Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Wii 1st Party / Exclusives / Multiplat&ports / 09 Hypes. A List.

• 91 results
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#51  Edited By Meowayne

I loved Harvest Moon on the original GameBoy and it's SNES sequel, but I loathe dungeon crawlers*, so I was always torn with this game. The initial critical reaction was fairly meh, but it seems to have levelled to a solid AA with the best score of all the Rune Factory games, and everyone I heard speak of it loves it.

If only I wasn't so occupied university- and gamingwise, having just started Silent Hill V and several Wii games.. I know it'd be a bad idea to add RF: Frontier to the list of games that I started but didn't finish.

I'm not even completely through de Blob yet (beat the third-to-last stage two days ago).

Btw., I added Crystal Bearers to the hypes-list.

* I don't even like Diablo II. There I said it.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Meowayne
    Updated and Pixified the first page for viewing pleasure. Although as it stands now there is not really a pleasure in viewing it. If anybody could tell me how to get those pictures in order (I clicked "list" but when I wrote the captions everything got completely messy) it'd be very much appreciated.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Al3xand3r

Awesome. But still no Tales of Graces :(

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Meowayne

There, the images are working now.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By mikemcn

Nice list ! But did anyone actually play excite truck?????????
    And endless ocean 2 sounds cool

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By The_A_Drain

"worthwhile and entertaining"

To who exactly? If you're perfectly happy to be entertained by something a developer can knock together in an afternoon then fine I have no problems with that, but saying these games all have worth of critical acclaim is just bullshit, especially the ones that aren't even out yet.

Games i'm not going to argue with, either because I enjoy them, or don't but acknowledge them as praiseworthy:
    All first party titles, with the exceptions of Disaster Day of Crisis and Animal Crossing: City Folk

Animal Crossing City Folk is a good example of how fans will bend over and take whatever is offered to them, the huge majority of the game is exactly whats

on offer for the DS but in SDTV resolution, it offers very little new content other than a crappy microphone and a dent in the wallet.

Disaster Day of Crisis is just aweful beyond words, it looks crap, it plays badly, the dialogue makes no sense whatsoever and what little fo the story
    I was presented also made absolutely no sense. Shame because I was looking forward to it.

The rest of the list seems less like a hype list and more a list of everything anybody 'might' possibly like ever. Clutching at straws much? Most of the games on the list
    are either vastly inferior to their versions on other consoles (exception being MUA, which I own on both Wii and 360 simply because I feel it makes decent
    use of the wii controls) or are simply full retail minigames.

Things like Geometry Wars and Boom Blox are great games sure, but nobody can seriously expect and entire library of stuff like that to sate serious gamers for more than
    a few weeks, and when the more refined offerings are things like Disaster Day of Crisis, Deadly Creatures or Umbrella Chronicles then count me out.

Sure there are a good number of high quality games there, but a lot of them are just pure crap. Sure any console has similar divisions of great games and

dissapointments, but theres no denying that other consoles offer a far great amount of high quality serious games.

That said, i'm glad the Wii is bringing back 2D platformers, Warioland was awesome if a little too short, and A Boy and His Blob is definately getting my money.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Al3xand3r

I love it, "the rest of the list" comments always are funny as they tend to mean "I have no clue about most of these games but I'll pretend I do, and if asked I might just use metascore to find some negative points" and that's just such a cute little attitude, especially when you see that "the rest of the list" includes games like Rune Factory Frontier, Little King's Story and World of Goo. People have different tastes, you don't have to claim games one likes are shovelware thrown out in a day just because you don't. You basically had 3-4 games to actually argue against, that's not so bad considering the size of the list. Thank you for reinforcing the simple fact the Wii has many great games, even if it's not what you wanted to do, as that's the only thing this list attempts to do, and not to place the Wii in your heart right next to your PS360 or whatever it is  you have. It's not a hype list when it comes to the already released games, the hype comment was for the upcoming titles which you don't comment on at all, but I imagine you have a similar opinion on those anyway, never mind the respected developers and promising concepts and previews involved, or if some of them are part of an established franchise or another promising, creative new effort. Serious games? The Path? No thank you.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Meowayne

I want to distance myself from Al3x's post. I appreciate the next to neutral tone, Drain, and I understand where you're coming from. Your post needs a better reply because thank god, you actually seem to know what you're talking about having played a lot of Wii games, but I'm afraid I'm too lazy now. Just two things:

1. The list was not made in an effort to pull likable Wii games from everywhere I could finnd them. If that was the idea, then I could just have drawn the 75+'s from metacritic, but I didn't as you might have seen, and there are a lot of games on the list that were critically stunned. The list is comprised of games that either I enjoyed because I played/own them (I have played about 25 of the titles in the list) or because I know people who bought them enjoyed them. Animal Crossing is such a case; I don't like Animal Crossing, never did, but I know a lot of people who have Animal Crossing on the Wii, and all of them love it. That's why it's on the list. I don't know anyone who regretted the purchase, that's why it's on there.

2. I didn't include any hint of system wars other than admitting (as I still do) that many gamers would probably be happier with a non-Wii-only gaming system, and that equal lists can be made for all systems. And I'd like to keep this thread system wars free. This is not made to pursuade anyone to buy a Wii, or to justify purchases. This is, as stated in the preamble, a thread for Wii owners who still find enjoyment in the system to get inspiration for other purchases, and to have something in the back for the annoying people who insist that there's no fun to be had with the thing.
    And that's thad. I don't consider an hour of entertainment with Mass Effect in any way "better" or more "real" than an hour of entertainment with Boom Blox, and there are very, very few video games I would use the word "serious" on; but that's system wars, and I have no intention of participating in that. All I'm saying is:

1. If you're a Wii-only user, there's tons of great options you have.
    2. If you own other consoles besides the Wii, great! You shouldn't complain. But maybe see if the console really still sucks so much as it did two years ago.
    3. If you don't own/play the Wii: Shut up about it. You're in no position to make statements about it's library.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Meowayne

It's difficult editing the list now, btw. I tried adding Godfather: The Blackhand Edition*, and all that happened was that Tomb Raider's caption disappeared. .___.
    This image editing is seriously messed up, and what you see in the preview before clicking the confirmation button rarely matches what you get after clicking it.

* And to those who complain, here is what happened that made me want to add the game:
    Someone suggested adding it, but I have never played it, nor any of the other versions.
    I looked at it's wikipedia article, especially at the "Reception".
    I read a few reviews. They all agreed that while the game is ugly, it's still the same great game, but with very well implemented control additions.
    I read what the gamers had to say about the new  gesture-based controls. There was much approval.
    I took a quick look at the game on youtube.
    Then, because admittedly it's not entirely uninteresting, I took a look at it's metacritic score. Regardless of that score I would've added it to the list.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By luce
    The_A_Drain said:
    "

"worthwhile and entertaining"

To who exactly? If you're perfectly happy to be entertained by something a developer can knock together in an afternoon then fine I have no problems with that, but saying these games all have worth of critical acclaim is just bullshit, especially the ones that aren't even out yet.

Games i'm not going to argue with, either because I enjoy them, or don't but acknowledge them as praiseworthy:
    All first party titles, with the exceptions of Disaster Day of Crisis and Animal Crossing: City Folk

Animal Crossing City Folk is a good example of how fans will bend over and take whatever is offered to them, the huge majority of the game is exactly whats

on offer for the DS but in SDTV resolution, it offers very little new content other than a crappy microphone and a dent in the wallet.

Disaster Day of Crisis is just aweful beyond words, it looks crap, it plays badly, the dialogue makes no sense whatsoever and what little fo the story
    I was presented also made absolutely no sense. Shame because I was looking forward to it.

The rest of the list seems less like a hype list and more a list of everything anybody 'might' possibly like ever. Clutching at straws much? Most of the games on the list
    are either vastly inferior to their versions on other consoles (exception being MUA, which I own on both Wii and 360 simply because I feel it makes decent
    use of the wii controls) or are simply full retail minigames.

Things like Geometry Wars and Boom Blox are great games sure, but nobody can seriously expect and entire library of stuff like that to sate serious gamers for more than
    a few weeks, and when the more refined offerings are things like Disaster Day of Crisis, Deadly Creatures or Umbrella Chronicles then count me out.

Sure there are a good number of high quality games there, but a lot of them are just pure crap. Sure any console has similar divisions of great games and

dissapointments, but theres no denying that other consoles offer a far great amount of high quality serious games.

That said, i'm glad the Wii is bringing back 2D platformers, Warioland was awesome if a little too short, and A Boy and His Blob is definately getting my money.

"
    i agree with most of the stuff you said
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By The_A_Drain

MeoWayne, you are at least able to respond in a friendly manner.

My problem with lists like these (for any console) is that they often gloss over terrible games simply because they aren't available on other consoles, or because they 'looked' good at one point or another and nobody has actually played them and formed an opinion on them (and if they have, in the case of some of them, Day of Crisis being case in point, they are insane if they still think it's worth praising) and that fact nobody is prepared to admit that a console lacks a certain genre or type of game.

It's hard to describe what's missing without using words like 'serious' or whatever, im specifically avoiding hardcore because my definition of hardcore is different from the accepted, but games with a long and involving story are primarily what the Wii is missing, and it has more party games than the 360 has FPS's, it's just crazy the amount of party and/or minigames it has. And if people like that, that's fine, but for people who don't this is where the "Theres nothing on the Wii" comments are coming from, and what with an equal amount of minigame/short burst play games coming from other areas, including digital download and such like on other platforms, it's not hard to see why.

Steering away from the system wars subject (although honestly I don't think it as such, i'm just pointing out that the Wii lacks a certain type of game and is abundant with another, and that it's the reason people get bored of the Wii at the moment, including people who own one) if it's your only console, I still don't feel you should be happy to accept aweful products that are being put out for you.

As for Alex's comment about me not systematically going through each and every game on the list, how much free time to you think I have? It's also a pain in the ass scrolling up and down to view it each time, and the post would be huge, but if you want, i'll pick out the trash for you.

Animal Crossing: City Folk: Anyone who doesn't have this on the DS already probably doesn't own a Wii or want this game. And for those who do, there is no marked improvement, very few new features and almost no reason to spend the cash.
    Disaster: Day of Crisis: It's aweful in every way, it combines horrid controls with ridiculous plot and dialog and horrendous game mechanics that result in a truly truly awful experience.
    Deadly Creatures: Buggy gameplay and one of the crappiest combat systems ever. However it does have an interesting (ish) story and (in places) very nice visuals.
    Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party: Theres no reason to buy this if you own, say, any of 100 partygames, especially the original rabbids game. It has some laughs going for it though.
    Tony Hawks Proving Ground: This was bad enough on other platforms, the Wii version is a joke, Unresponsive and finnicky controls combined with awful visuals.
    Umbrella Chronicles: (coming from a HUGE Resi fan) is almost as bad as the survivor series, stupendous difficulty level and frustrating gameplay, plot and dialog has no meaning to anyone who isn't a Resi fan. At least HoTD Overkill has some comedy.

Need for Speed Carbon: While the Wii lacks in this style of racing game, Carbon is not the game to fill the gap, it's just as bad here as it was in it's other incarnations, awful context, terrible car handling, soundtrack of interest to only a very small group of people. Chav people.

Tomb Raider: Underworld: Aside from having stiff controls and bad visuals (the Wii is capable of much better but the developers ported it too lazily) it has a game breaking bug which (supposedly although I suspect it is less) effects one in four gamesaves.

Boom Blox Bash Party: Because you really need to look forward to another helping of Boom Blox. Even if you liked the first this is a little too soon and unless it has some drastic additions, pointless.

Of the rest, the only truly outstanding games are (ignoring the unreleased ones, obviously) Rock Band, Resi 4, Okami, Pikmin, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, World of Goo, No More Heroes, Mad World, Rune Factory, Kororinpa, Geometry Wars, De Blob, Zack and Wiki, and the first party titles (exclusing the above mentioned) and of those, when you consider how many are ports/re-releases, it's not hard to see why people who own more than just the Wii often complain about it's lack of games. And people who do own just a wii, have just as much right to complain for getting crappily handled ports, but it seems most people who do own solely a Wii are too fanboyed up to see they are getting bad ports.

In addition to this, Wii games often remain at a steadily high price (here anyway) they hover around or just below full retail, seemingly forever, especially first party titles, and when a lot of them are good only for short bursts of play you
    can consider the price point of them a legitimate complaint, another reason the Wii needs some more lengthy and involving games.

Don't take any of this the wrong way, I love the console, I love its potential and I love some of the games it has, a couple of them are im quite confident to say, some of the best games this generation. However, on the whole anyone who can't see that the console has major deficiencies in it's library and is being treated badly in regards to ports, is a fool. If you're happy with just your Wii then more power to you, but as you can plainly see around the internet at large, most people simply are not and choose to own a wii + another current console simply because of the Wii's bottlenecked library and the quality difference with most ports.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Meowayne

My problem with lists like these (for any console) is that they often gloss over terrible games simply because they aren't available on other consoles, or because they 'looked' good at one point or another and nobody has actually played them and formed an opinion on them
    That is just plain wrong, as I tried to explain in the last post. The games on this list are on the list because I have either played or enjoyed them, or know that those who have them don't regret the purchase. I specifically distanced myself from any kind of system wars - that's why I included ports and multiplats. The games on there aren't on there just because they don't exist on other consoles. I don't care about comparisons. And, again, I don't want to persuade anyone to buy the Wii. This is not a "Look, why  not buy a Wii?"-list. I am not saying that you can't be extremely happy without owning the thing.
    This generation of consoles is awesome.

that fact nobody is prepared to admit that a console lacks a certain genre or type of game. [...]games with a long and involving story are primarily what the Wii is missing, and it has more party games than the 360 has FPS's [...] i'm just pointing out that the Wii lacks a certain type of game and is abundant with another [...]I still don't feel you should be happy to accept aweful products that are being put out for you. [...]However, on the whole anyone who can't see that the console has major deficiencies in it's library and is being treated badly in regards to ports, is a fool. [...]

This seems to be the major point of your post, but I don't understand what that has to do with the list I  made, or the position I take in the Wii bashing in this forum (or in the articles by the GB crew).
    There is absolutely no denying, at all, that the Wii's library exhibits a distinct lack of storydriven games. One could argue whhether that's going to change in the coming year (Al3x would say it will), but at the moment, nobody, me least of all, would disagree with you that there are very few storydriven games on the console.
    However, neither was that in any way different on the generally praised previous two Nintendo consoles (N64 and GCN), nor is it in any way relevant  to this thread:

"I don't consider an hour of entertainment with Mass Effect in any way "better" or more "real" than an hour of entertainment with Boom Blox, and there are very, very few video games I would use the word "serious" on; but that's system wars, and I have no intention of participating in that. All I'm saying is:

1. If you're a Wii-only user, there's tons of great options you have.
    2. If you own other consoles besides the Wii, great! You shouldn't complain. But maybe see if the console really still sucks so much as it did two years ago.
    3. If you don't own/play the Wii: Shut up about it. You're in no position to make statements about it's library. "

In my case particularly, I don't see any of the current consoles as one that houses games of storytelling and story quality. As a reader, avid moviegoer and storyteller myself, the medium videogames exhibits an unbelievable awfulness and embarrassingly low quality of storytelling that I am shocked to continually see abslutely ignored by the gaming crowd. Games that have the storytelling quality of the next Michael-Bay-Movie are crowned as story games of the generation.

I see that this particular type of game: "Awful movie with interactive action sequences", and especially "Sequel to awful movie with interactive action sequences" is immensely popular and the reason (as you correctly explained) why many dismiss the Wii's library very quickly without even taking a second look. But if anything, this reiterates my point that instead of complaining, why not take a look at that classical type of gaming - the type that got most of you into gaming in the first place!
    You're the exception, Drain, having played many games and then decided that the library has many weaknesses.

My point is: There's no reason to have a Wii in the living room and not play it, unless you're the type of gamer that can only find pleasure in GTA and Halo in which case you shouldn't have bought it in the first place. There's no reason not to play the console, ESPECIALLY if (and not "even if") you own a HD console besides it. If the console remains unused, that is the gamer's fault for not trying things (as there ARE a LOT of things to try, which is why this list exists) and not the manufactures or the developers.
    If you look through this list and found that you have played many of these games or have already looked into many of them and still don't feel like trying out more or any of them, that's perfectly fine.
    I don't want to persuade anyone to do anything.
    I want to inspire wii owners to try new games,
    and I want to have something to show for those morons who keep insisting that there's objectively and obviously no reason to turn the thing on.

I'll pick out the trash for you.
    Animal Crossing: City Folk
    Again you're talking about how AC:CF is nothing special. I agree with you, as I said I don't even like the game, but that doesn't change the fact that all of the many people who bought this game have a great time with it, and that it's a solid, well put together title. There's no justification for calling it trash, or not recommending it to those who aren't already fed up with the series.

Disaster: Day of Crisis

Admittedly I didn't play it, and what I saw of the game didn't impress me as much as I'd hoped. As for the "weak dialogue" and "bad storytelling", well, you know now how I think of that. I'll gladly take it off the list if everyone agrees it really does not belong there.

Deadly Creatures

You're being extremely unfair to a game that, again, makes it's owners happy, is very well presented and technically solid (yes, I know of the bugs), and even critically well received. It's a narrative action game with some neat mechanics and a good audiovisual presentation. You may not like it - But why call it "trash" (I mean, come on), or insist that the majority of it's buyers might regret the purchase (which obviously isn't the case)?

Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party

My opinion about that particular game can be found here in all detail. I regard Rayman Raving Rabbids: TV Party as one of the best games on the system, there is no aspect on this game that can be complained about, the controls are among the best on the system, even the SINGLEplayer is great. It's a package of immense enjoyment and great humor, and for me undoubtedly a lot better than any other Party/Minigame that I've played. It is also infinitely better than the first one.
    I know it's now very hip and trendy to dismiss those games from the get-go, but I can only imagine that comes from people who either always play alone (hurr), or forgot how much fun they had with Mario Party when it founded the genre. Rayman Raving Rabbids: TV Party is several hours of hilarity when you're alone, and unbelievably good when you have people over. It belongs on this list more than many other titles.

Tony Hawks Proving Ground

The game on the list is Tony Hawks Downhill Jam. It's very fun, just like the DS version. Proving Ground sucks on every platform it is on.

Umbrella Chronicles

Umbrella Chronicles is not an RE game, but an RE themed arcade shooter. It's not even a very good arcade shooter (because of it's slowness and it's lack of hit impact dynamics), but for the genre it has lots of contents, a pleasently un-obstrusive plot and nice short story renderings, good Bossbattles and a very good presentation. I had people begging me to play more Umbrella Chronicles with them. It is on that list as a multiplayer game. Just like OVERKILL or HotD2+3, it's impossible not to get your money's worth of entertainment when you have two players, especially if you got two Hand Cannons as well. Which I do.
    It's not a good game. If I reviewed it, even I would give it an average score. It's certainly not your game if you wanna play an RE game, and most definatly not if you wanna play an RE game because you think the RE stories are so great.

But it's an awesome thing to have in your library.

Need for Speed Carbon

I don't play racers, and it's obvious the Wii is the wrong console for you if you're into them. But I know a couple of guys who had a great time with NfS Carbon and it's control schemes. That's why it's on there, and that's why I wouldn't call it trash.

Tomb Raider: Underworld

Just like with Tony Hawks, you got the wrong game here. The Tomb Raider on the list is Anniversary. TR: Anniversary on the Wii is great.

Boom Blox Bash Party

I somehow agree with you that this games comes too early. The first one hasn't had the time to sink in deep enough. But that doesn't make it any less of a potentially awesome title, especially if you skipped the first one (which you shouldn't).
    Boom Blox is one of the games I cannot imagine anyone not having fun with, even though 90% will look at the boxart and say "nah". Bash Party, despite the horrible name, promises to improve on so many aspects, and includes an online sharing platform for user-generated content.

There's no way you can honestly call this trash and NOT recommend it for anyone. Boom Blox is a fantastic multiplayer game and the ancient manly instinct of destroying meticulusly crafted things made up of tiny pieces, to kick things that look unbalanced is almost as strong as the instict to blow peoples heads off with shotguns.

Boom Blox is, as everyone agrees, in every way greatness. It's successor comes a little early and I might have wished for a title with a new direction as well, but to call this title, which will improve on the fantastic first one, trash and not recommend it to gamers? Again, unjustifiable.

Of the rest, the only truly outstanding games are (ignoring the unreleased ones, obviously) Rock Band, Resi 4, Okami, Pikmin, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, World of Goo, No More Heroes, Mad World, Rune Factory, Kororinpa, Geometry Wars, De Blob, Zack and Wiki, and the first party titles (exclusing the above mentioned)

So you're saying that a Wii owner, two and a half years after the release of the console, can have a library of 20+ outstanding games on his or her shelf. Great. Exactly my point.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By The_A_Drain

That's a hella long post, and it makes a lot of good points. I've just found out the deadline for one of my projects has been moved forward so havn't the time to form a super long response, out of respect however I will respond with this.

"So you're saying that a Wii owner, two and a half years after the release of the console, can have a library of 20+ outstanding games on his or her shelf. Great. Exactly my point."

No, i'm not.

Or rather I am, but with a caveat.

Anyone who owns just a Wii at this point, fine, those games are good, however, many of them are inferior versions of a product (not just in comparison to their rival counterparts, but in terms
    of what the Wii is capable of, graphically and in terms of controls, a lot of developers simply are not utilising properly, sometimes even playably) which is available (in many cases cheaper) on
    another platform, if you guys are happy to let developers cash in with lazy ass ports then go right ahead, i'm going to sit here and die a little inside because consumers can't see when they
    are truly being screwed, but are quick enough to lash out when they 'think' they are being screwed.

Once you add another console into the mix (either one) and remove the inferior ported versions of games, that list grows dramatically smaller, and yet again once you take a good hard look at
    what's available, and realise it's almost all of a particular style or genre, that doesn't leave you a lot of room for maneuver unless you are a HUGE fan of the minigame/short burst game style, I could
    go on to mention the visual style prevalent on the Wii, but I happen to like that particular style. Once you've removed products that consumers really should not be happy with, it doesn't offer a lot of variety
    whether you like to think so or not.

Ok sure, you could argue that cruddy products about wherever you look, but you just have to take one look at Deadly Creatures combat system, or Mad Worlds lack of combat depth, or No More Heroes
    constant repetition of arduous non-plot tasks to realise that there is a real problem with style over substance and not a lot of variety in style at that.

As consumers you shouldn't take this lying down, but you're obviously happy to do so, so i'll leave you to it.

People who own solely a Wii are the ones who should be furious beyond belief at what they've recieved (when weighed against what Nintendo promised when the Wii was released) but I guess you're all too happy pouring hundreds of thousands of hours into Smash Bros to notice.

Also, add Opoona to the list if you can still edit it, it's really good (even if it is yet another example of that cutesy style on the Wii. I like that style, but seriously, it's 2 out of 3 games)

You could call me spoiled or w/e for owning more than one console, but if I owned just a Wii i'd be very angry at the shoddy quality of ports, poor use of the Wii's hardware (games can actually look
    incredibly good on the Wii) and constant overuse of one (or two) particular style/s. That's not the fault of the gamer, that lies with the developer. Heck, I AM angry about it and I own more than just a Wii,
    I desperately want to enjoy my Wii more. But (until A Boy and His Blob hits) it will remain in the box.

(Also, I just want to point out, how do you know Boom Blox will improve on the original formula? Sequals have a horrible tendency to be crappy, especially these days, and even if it's not, really, how much further can you take the basic concept of the first one? Not enough to warrant another retail purchase i'd wager.)

fr0sterson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By fr0sterson

Yeah, this year looks good for the Wii. Finally some actual worthwhile (in my eyes, at least) 3rd party exclusives. The ones I'm really pumped for are Little King's Story and, maybe a little less, The Conduit. Cosmic Walker looks interesting.

vaultboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#65  Edited By vaultboy

I just wanted to point out you mislabeled Excite Truck as Excite Bots.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Meowayne

Yeah, I know.  And the list is missing some titles. But the moment I try editing any of it, the whole things fall down into a complete mess, image-wise. I'll wait before a major update is necessary before I temper with it.

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Keyser_Soze

What is this crap list. Most of those games are mediocre at best on a system which is leading worldwide sales, it's shameful.

Wii for the good of gaming seppuku yourself.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Al3xand3r

Rofl. Anyway...

When will ya update this Meo? Just wondering. Maybe you can simply build it in a text editor and just paste it all here, and keep the file for future edits. As long as the text color when pasted is right, and the pictures aligned ok, that should work just fine.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#69  Edited By RHCPfan24

I must say those listed games are all pretty good. I don't need to be convinced that there are good games on the Wii. I am tired of this argument.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Meowayne
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Rofl. Anyway...When will ya update this Meo?"
    A non-text-based remodelling of the entire thing including lots of changes in games and categories is in the works, about 2/3 done. Don't know yet whether I'll put it here or open a new thread. : ]

As I said, this thread might get an update if really a lot of things have changed; especially removing/moving the hypes into other categories once they're released.

And no, copypasting to and from texteditors doesn't work. This forum's software always messes up the images completely. "

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Godwind

This list could be so much better if Battalion Wars 2 was a first party title.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#72  Edited By JJOR64

It's going to be a very long time for Dragon Quest 10 to come out but, I loved DQ8 so much it's going to be worth the wait.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Meowayne

Well, here's a little moving picture update.

A bunch of titles are missing for pacing reasons. Watch in high quality, rate, leave user comments and before you answer, remember that I love you all.

Let's see how much I will regret having spend the time making this so close before E3.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#74  Edited By AgentJ

Wow Meowayne, you looking for a job with Nintendo's marketing department or what? This is impressive! You picked good selections for each game, and the transitions are nice. The text postioning and font really work too

I would have maybe used more epic music, but thats hardly a gripe
    I'd love to see another "upcoming" video if Nintendo has a good E3, and if you did one for the DS (using the DSI menu of course) or 360 my mind would be blown
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Meowayne

Ah. Remember those marketing VHS tapes Nintendo gave out when the N64 launched? With all the game videos? Those were the days.

This vid was actually done in Windows Movie Maker. Take my advise: Don't. Do. It. Never again, man. That was quite a pain.

But glad you liked it. :D

Can't see myself making another one, though. A 1.6ghz PC just isn't made for video editing.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Godwind
    Good job Meowayne.

AgentJ
    said:
    "I would have maybe used more epic music, but thats hardly a gripe"
    I disagree.  It strays from the generic Linkin Park songs, anime songs and Madworld song (from Gears of War) that are made many video gaming videos on youtube so boring.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Meowayne

Plus, it wouldn't really fit. I love the Wii, but Wii games I would definatly not put into the "epic" corner, if we're speaking of the general definition of Epic games, as in "realistic-ish gritty grand-scale battles with cutscenes in between" that flood the other two consoles. Not that such games cannot be great - but the Wii isn't really the console to look for them. That much is clear.

The music is from the Royal Tenenbaums soundtrack, btw. Very recommendable.

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#78  Edited By SpinCookie

Murammassa, endless ocean 2, sin and punishment, and little kings story are my must buys for Wii this year.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By AgentJ
    Godwind said:
    "Good job Meowayne.

AgentJ
    said:
    "I would have maybe used more epic music, but thats hardly a gripe"
    I disagree.  It strays from the generic Linkin Park songs, anime songs and Madworld song (from Gears of War) that are made many video gaming videos on youtube so boring."
    Right, but you dont have to use something common for it to be cool. What you used wouldn't be all that interesting even to non-gamers. Maybe a piece from a game soundtrack (like SSBB) would be more fiting
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Al3xand3r

Meowayne said:

"Well, here's a little moving picture update.

A bunch of titles are missing for pacing reasons. Watch in high quality, rate, leave user comments and before you answer, remember that I love you all. Let's see how much I will regret having spend the time making this so close before E3. "
    Incredible <3
    Awaiting the special E3 edition :P
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Meowayne

No thanks. :P
    You know how much bandwith I wasted downloading 20-30meg videos just to edit out 3-second-clips? Arghblarghl.

I just had my first rounds of Call of Duty: World at War multiplayer. Wow, that was suprisingly quick, smooth and technically impressive. Finding a match of 8 players is a matter of seconds. Why can't all Wii games be like this?

Also, I'd like to highlight Geometry Wars: Galaxies. A ver yoverlooked title that is better than it's predecessors in almost every way.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Godwind
    Meowayne said:
    " Arghblarghl.I just had my first rounds of Call of Duty: World at War multiplayer. Wow, that was suprisingly quick, smooth and technically impressive. Finding a match of 8 players is a matter of seconds. Why can't all Wii games be like this?"
    It is a nice generally speaking.  It feels really streamlined.  Gives you a one minute break between matches and you are back in business.  I wish games were designed more like this.  Even though you sacrifice the ability to choose which stages you want, it keeps pumping out matches.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Meowayne

Lack of modes is a big bummer, though. : /

Started No More Heroes yesterday. A good, refreshinigly weird piece of gaming. If only the fighting stages were a bit less repetetive! I am looking forward to NMH2 a lot more now; If it is like the first one with the annoyances ironed out (and maybe with M+ support ._. ), it should be spectacular.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By AgentJ

I'm glad you liked NMH! As far as originals go for the Wii, its my number 2! (SSBB)

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Meowayne

Coming back to the "could've used more epic music" comment: Yesterday I rediscovered a track, that, looking back, I wish I had used instead of the sonata: "Bolero" from the Moulin Rouge Soundtrack.
    It would've required different structuring and a little shortening, but even if you listen to this track with the video as it is, it already fits quite nicely. Try it, it certainly increases the excitement-factor of the music. :>

Smash Bros. was never for me, btw. Since the original release on the N64, I try these games every six months, trying to like them. But I always end up remembering why I dislike them so much. : D

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Meowayne

I just felt this belonged in here. : D
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By AgentJ

Might be time to include all those games on the "upcoming" thread you made into this one, and make this the go-to. 

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#88  Edited By Griddler

Nice list. Enjoyed the video too.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Organicalistic_

damn paper mario games are fun they need to make more

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#90  Edited By Emilio
    @organicalistic_:  
    Good job bringing back this ancient beast....
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Godwind

Meowayne, you need to make an '10 version

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.