Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Wii Games for Non Wii Gamers

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mandude

So The Last Story is coming out soon enough, and as a result I'm caving in and buying a Wii. One problem: Brawl, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mario and Mario are definitely not my type of games, nor are the other Wii staples; since my desk isn't the windiest of places, I have absolutely no use for an expensive paperweight either.

In light of this, I ask for your help in making sure my Wii has a good home by suggesting some great Wii games that exist far outside the realm of the above. Here's my Steam list, so you can accurify and relevantise your suggestions (they're real words, look them up (they're not)).

No Caption Provided

On the PS3, I also own Valkyria Chronicles, Dark Souls, Little Big Planet, Final Fantasy XIII, and Red Dead Redemption. Best suggestion wins my most sincere gratitude (and a pony).

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

Xenoblade Chronicles. An awesome RPG all around. I've clocked over seventy hours in the game so far and am still nowhere near done with it. I'd have even more time clocked in by now, except I have other priorities outside of gaming that need to get done.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Fragile Dreams, damn it. Also...uh....how about Phantom Brave? That may be cheating, though, as it was originally a PS2 game.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By OldGuy
    DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By DeF

and those mentioned above me (Xenoblade, Fragile Dreams)

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Dixavd

I would also recommend Xenoblade Chronicles.

Other games I would suggest are to check out Pandora's Tower (although that will depend solely on your tastes in RPG's and you could easily hate it like some critics - I suggest checking out videos of it).

You seem to have some puzzle-like games (like stacking) so you might want to look up World of Goo.

I continue to recommend Okami (although it does have the zelda formula or Search->Dungeon->Item->Boss->repeat but it is fantastic at it).

Metroid Prime Trilogy is great too (again check out some videos of it, otherwise you might get it and think it is an FPS with bactracking).

Rhythm Heaven Fever (Just check out the Quick Look of it)

Possibly Monster Hunter Tri

I saw you had Civ V, so possibly check out Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - it is obviously a different type of strategy game, but one which doesn't seem to care it is on the Wii so doesn't make the game less difficult to fit in.

Also, as someone who isn't a big fan of Mario myself I cannot understate how great New Super Mario Bros. Wii is, it is actually the game which made me no longer dislike the character (especially playing it with friends). I still point it out as it is one of the few Mario games which actually has a failstate and playing with friends can actually make it quite difficult - some of the best level design I have seen in any platformer (although it still might not be to your tastes, and oyu might still want it to be even more fast-paced and difficult like Super Meat Boy in your list).

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PatchMaster

The Metroid Prime trilogy would be a good place to start.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mandude

@Hailinel said: Yeah, I've been seeing that name way too much to ignore recently.

@Video_Game_King said:

Fragile Dreams, damn it. Also...uh....how about Phantom Brave? That may be cheating, though, as it was originally a PS2 game.

Pretty sure that's a positive.

@OldGuy: I actually played No More Heroes at a friends house once. I thought it was broken shovelware at the time (I'm sorry). :( Am I missing something?

@DeF: A few interesting ones in there, but most of it would be a good list of the kind of games I don't like. My sincerest apologies. :( A Shadow's Tale actually looks pretty cool though.

@Dixavd: Wow, didn't know Okami was ported. Was actually pretty sorry I missed that before I sold my PS2. Awesome!

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By OldGuy
    @mandude said:

@OldGuy: I actually played No More Heroes at a friends house once. I thought it was broken shovelware at the time (I'm sorry). :( Am I missing something?

Oh, trust me, I'm the first to admit the... issues... the game has... That said, I love it. The story is total bananas, I think it nails some good things that you can (and should) do with the Wii control scheme (the visceral glee I get from the swipe finishers and wrestling moves is great). I even like the weird ass mini-games.

NMH2 is a (far) better game, but I love them both. That said, I completely undterstand if it confused and angered you. :-)

Really, to get NMH you need to have a brain that tunes in to Suda 51 land...
    frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By frankfartmouth

Xenoblade Chronicles would be a must based on that list. A couple other ones that I liked that haven't been mentioned:

Madworld (short, simple, and extremely violent)

Excite Truck (sounds stupid, I know, but it's a lot of fun with 3 or 4 people)

Other than that, I'd have to agree with most of the rest of what's been mentioned already. The list definitely gets short when you carve out the first party stuff.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Justin258

If Metroid Prime Trilogy isn't selling for a nutty amount of money on Amazon or something, get that. It's out of print (because Nintendo is fucking stupid, ARGH!) but it's very well worth a pretty penny.

If not, then find an old copy of the first two Metroid Prime games for Gamecube, a Gamecube memory card, a Gamecube controller, then Metroid Prime 3 Corruption, and then you're set. The Wii will all of a sudden be a Metroid Prime/Occasional JRPG machine because if you don't care about the other Nintendo properties then what else are you going to do with it?

Driam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Driam

Resident evil 4 for the wii is probably my favorite game for the system, I'd start there. I'm also of the opinion that the recent Call of duty games are supremely entertaining on the wii if you're into shooting actual dudes.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mandude

A lot of people mentioning Metroid. I guess I'll edit that into my original post, but I've played one of the Gamecube ones and it didn't really sit well with me at all.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By egg

maybe Sonic Unleashed (also on PS2), Bikini Zombie Slayers, Cursed Mountain

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Dalai

Judging by your games, Xenoblade is a must buy. So is Metroid Prime Trilogy and No More Heroes 1 and 2. 

I'm also going to add the Bit.Trip series to the list. Beat and Runner are on Steam as well, but the rest are WiiWare only as far as I know.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Contrarian

@Dixavd said:

I saw you had Civ V, so possibly check out Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - it is obviously a different type of strategy game, but one which doesn't seem to care it is on the Wii so doesn't make the game less difficult to fit in.

Dude .... get this. It will consume you if you get into it. If your character dies, it dies FOREVER. You have to work pretty hard on some maps due to the depth it has. It could easily take 60 hours to complete and that doesn't include the hours you spent restarting because a character died. You just need a Classic or Gamecube controller as it has no motion controls at all. I am fairly certain you won't regret it.

Plus, I haven't seen it here, get

Little King's Story

It is part strategy, part RPG and all awesome. Don't let the cute characters decieve you, this has a dark story and is very hardcore. Plus, ot has the cutest music I have ever heard in a game. Try it. It will be cheap.

superpow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By superpow

I see you like strategy games.

@Contrarian said:

Little King's Story

It is part strategy, part RPG and all awesome. Don't let the cute characters decieve you, this has a dark story and is very hardcore. Plus, ot has the cutest music I have ever heard in a game. Try it. It will be cheap.

He's right you know.

Also, Why don't you give the trauma centers a try?

Neferon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Neferon

Based on that list, another +1 for Xenoblade and Monster hunter Tri. Both great games.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DeF

@mandude said:

@DeF: A few interesting ones in there, but most of it would be a good list of the kind of games I don't like. My sincerest apologies. :( A Shadow's Tale actually looks pretty cool though.

are you sure? I put those on there because they fit your list.

you got strategy games (pikmin, little king's story <//> civ, shogun, tropico, from dust)

FPS games that aren't about the shooting or have something that sets them apart from your standard shooter (metroid, red steel 2 <//> metro, stalker, far cry 2)

quirky or artsy platformers (and yet it moves, lost winds, lost in shadow, a boy and his blob <//> limbo, braid)

monster hunter for that grindy, precise combat dark souls-y feel

action adventury games (muramasa, deadly creatures <//> psychonauts, bastion)

silent hill shattered memories fits into a mixed category with amnesia and all the adventure games you have on steam

and no more heroes is pretty much what saints row + the darkness does. ridiculousness + tons of blood.

and yea, someone suggested the fire emblem game for your turn based strategy fix!

I'd also have suggested Okami but you said you don't like Zelda (how's that possible?!) and that game is pretty much that in terms of gameplay

@egg said:

maybe [...] Cursed Mountain

I was gonna recommend that as well but I thought the extreme jankiness of the controls would be off-putting. but it's a really atmospheric little horror game (though there's also a PC port floating around)

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Hizang

@mandude: I feel you need to give us a reason other than I just don't like these games. Is it the style of those games or just because you want to be a hipster or Because you have played each of those listed game franchises and have no interest in them. You then say you don't want the Wii staples e.g. Wii Sports, Mario Kart, Warioware, well combine that with the games you listed above a Wii is not the best console for you too buy, I don't recommend you get one.

Sorry if I sound like a dick, but really if you don't want the games which are considered the best games for the Wii then I don't see much point buying one. If your looking for cool RPG's and hidden gems just go and buy a PS2, it will be cheaper and it has a much wider variety of games.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#21  Edited By galiant
    mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mandude

@Dalai: Cool. Was going to get Bit.Trip on Steam, but I guess I can hold out for the Wii ones, if it justifies it.

@Contrarian: That sounds like exactly the kind of punishment I want in a game.

@superpow: Trauma Centre...what kind of gameplay has it? Kinda hard to gleam from Wiki.

@DeF: Quite a few of the ones you recommend are actually pretty interesting. I was mainly referring to the bigger name titles like Metroid, NMH, Red Steel and Monster Hunter. Haha, the older Zeldas look interesting enough, but when I played TwilightPrincess, it felt like playing a game from 10 years ago. I liked Darksiders for what it's worth. Okami seems to have just the right amount of crazy and stylisation to keep me interested.

@Hizang: I'm certainly not a hipster. As I've said, I just don't like those type of games. Partially due to the fact that I've played them before in previous iterations. The ones I did like, I feel as though they just haven't changed enough to keep my interest. I'm not seeing if the Wii is for me. I already know it's not, but with the Last Story coming out, I'm going to have one anyway, so I may as well justify it.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hizang

@mandude: Well not all of them, I mean Mario Galaxy is not like any other Mario game.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mandude

@Hizang: Is it not exactly like Super Mario 64? I think at this stage, I'm just sick of the Mario character and franchise more than anything else. Might give it a shot if I can find it cheap.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hizang
    mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mikey87144

Give Mario Galaxy 2 a go. I know it breaks the rules of your list but it is one of the best games to be released this generation. I think it even surpasses Mario 64.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#27  Edited By fox01313

Best thing is to probably go through the GB quick looks for the Wii to find what you might enjoy then rent them before picking them up as the Wii is rather horrible compared to the other consoles about putting out demos. There's plenty of games on there like Rhythm Heaven Fever, Silent Hill Homecoming & A Boy and his Blob which could be worth diving into.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

• Rhythm Heaven Fever
    • Zack and Wiki
    • Punch-Out!!!
    • Rabbids Go Home

Have you ever had/enjoyed Gamecube games before?

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By zityz

You know. This thread really reminds me of the few games I still need to pick up for the Wii. so far im counting 6...SIX!

fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By fraser

Little King's Story is the best non-Mario game on the system if you ask me. It's the only game I can recall making me tear up. If you do choose to get it, don't be put off by the tutorialised intro (which goes on for longer than it appears to), it gets fantastic.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mandude

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: My main reaction to the GameCube was somewhat "Haven't I seen this all before?" Granted, F Zero was fucking awesome!

@mikey87144: Seems to be a lot of suggestions for that one despite the original post. Will definitely check it out, anyway.

@fraser: Seems to be a popular suggestion. Definitely looks interesting and isn't too much on Amazon.

Overall impression is that it seems better out there than I had anticipated. Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Have a pretty good list now.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DeF

@mandude: I'm curious, how is The Last Story the one game that makes you want to buy a Wii after all these years?

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mandude

@DeF: I'm a huge fan of Final Fantasy, especially the ones with Hironobu Sakaguchi's name on them. I also thought that Blue Dragon was fantastic, so even if the game isn't any good, I'd rather play it and know rather than not play it and wonder what might be.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#34  Edited By Claude

I'm not sure if you would like it, but I really enjoyed Dawn of Discovery on the Wii. It's based off the Anno PC series which is an economic strategy sim. I would suggest Endless Ocean: Blue World, but I think it might be too slow for you.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hizang

@Claude: I was feeling rather down, you made me find this again and now I'm in stitches! This has to be one of the best quick looks ever.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#36  Edited By Claude
    @Hizang: Haha, those dudes were nuts. Also...

No Caption Provided
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hizang

@Claude: You get to catch Magmar in that one!

Made to be in it!
    Made to be in it!

@mandude: Hey duder here are some quick looks you should watch.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#38  Edited By pyromagnestir

@mandude: If you are giving some thought to Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, you might want to consider getting Fire Emblem Path of Radiance first. It's the gamecube game to which Radiant Dawn is the sequel. Both are great.

Mario Galaxy and Mario Galaxy 2 are not just Mario 64 again, but prettier. Anyone who thinks that has a really weird/wrong definition of the word similar, or just sees Mario and thinks, nope, not interested. They are very creative within the constraints of what makes a 3d Mario game. They are still a 3d Mario game, don't get me wrong. It's not a shooter all of a sudden. But there is more creativity packed into those 3d Mario games than there is packed into a host of "new" games that get released and proclaimed to be "fresh" and "different" and "exciting".

You seem to be of that latter type. And you seem to already have your mind made up about a lot of other games, as well. Makes recommending games to you very difficult, as you can probably tell based on the reactions from those who've tried thus far.

But as someone else said in here, I think, give World of Goo a shot. That shit is awesome. Maybe I'll think of some more in a bit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.