Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Why do people neglect the problem?

• 92 results
    TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By TomA

Why do people keep on buying the Xbox 360 and it's games? The thing breaks SO much that i would think there would be a greater number of boycotts out there. I know I am now officially boycotting the system and everything I can from the dickholes at Microsoft.They're customer support is appalling, their console is buggy as hell, and while the games are indeed very good(or at least many of them), if you cant play them, then what's the point. I'm looking for a serious online petition for those who have also come to the same conclusion as i have, which is that Microsoft needs to step up their game, address the problem, suck it up, spend the money, and ACTUALLY fix the problem. And for those who haven't had all these problems and thinks I'm just complaining, I have tried over and over again to fix the problem myself. I have tried to be patient and have put up with it for 3 and a half years, ever since my first console started acting up.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By sjschmidt93

Yeah... it's a pretty crappy piece of hardware with accessories that are way overpriced.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By beargirl1

microsoft is making tons of money off of it, i'm sure that's all they care about  

(not trying to start anything) 

Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Zajtalan

because they want to play games and dont know how awesome the playstation is

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman

Well if you count the billions of dollars Microsoft lost with their RRoD warranty program, I'd say they have spent some money to fix the problem. I think they could have or still could do more though.

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By RipTheVeins

I know I'm one of the very few exceptions, but I've never had a problem with the 360 or any other Microsoft product. 

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By delta_ass

The controller is way better then the PS3's.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By zombie2011

Well at the time when RRoD wasn't under control, as in almost half the people getting it. There was no other gaming option PS3 was way to expensive for most people and the Wii didn't have any of the same games. The situation is a lot better now, some people will get it on the new systems probably but thats to be expected seeing a 0% failure rate would be crazy. 

Also search next time i remember there being a couple of threads like this and the final conclusion of everyone was that MS has gotten a lot better at dealing with the situation and have taken measures to make sure there newer hardware SKU's won't have this problem.

Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pinkshley1

Well I know the new arcade consoles have the Jasper chip, which supposedly eliminates the RRoD threat. Anyone know if this is true? I just bought a new arcade system on newegg because my second 360 got RRoD, and I'm just moving my hard drive over.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CL60
    @Zajtalan said:
    " because they want to play games and dont know how awesome the playstation is "
    I have both and I prefer playing games on my 360. I only ever use my PS3 for the occasional exclusive I feel like playing.
    Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Brunchies

Microsoft is very cheap especially considering that some things the developers wanted to make free but Microsoft forced them to price. Still, the console has a lot of great games and I might be an exception where my 360 only broke once out of the two years I had it, So its not a big deal for me. I agree that their customer service is horrible but they are a multibillion dollar company so petitions wont work on them and the games are the only thing that makes a console worth buying so if the games are great, the console is still worth the annoyances.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Yes, the console has very unreliable hardware, yes the customer support can be frustratingly terrible, but people would not keep buying the console and games for it if they didn't think the problems were worth enduring to experience the positive aspects of the console. I am now on my 3rd or 4th 360 and as you'd expect hardware problems have been somewhat of a source of annoyance for me, but when it comes down to it I will put up with all that crap so I can play some of the great games the console has. Though I think this whole experience has taught Microsoft that making another console with such shoddy hardware won't be beneficial to anyone.

Psyx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Psyx2

It has very good games, and if it didn't have hardware problems I would have got one long ago. I just don't want to buy something that has such a good chance of dying. Microsoft extending the warranty didn't fix anything.

I rarely get a console, so when I do get one, I want something I know won't break and I can continue using it for years to come. I'd be so mad if I bought a 360, and sometime in the future I pulled it out of the closet and get RROD. My Playstation still works fine... we even have a Panasonic 3DO which works fine. I don't think many 360s will work in 10 years, at least, not launch 360s.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By spankingaddict

its a mystery that no one can solve...people do weird stuff...

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ajamafalous

I have a launch 360, and I've never had a single problem with it. Ever.

RiceEater22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RiceEater22

sorry but i have had my xbox since it came out and hasn't broken once.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By toowalrus

It's obvious. At the time, the price difference (and if you were into the exclusives & live) was so drastic that going without the xbox for 2 weeks every 18 months was totally worth it.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iam3green

people want to play their halo. it's just something that we never get an answer to. i'm on my 3rd 360, first time i had rrod then i had E74 error. some people are lucky with their 360 not having problems with it while other people are on their like 8th 360. i hope the best for microsoft next xbox that is going to come out. i think the problems with the 360 are going to get some people not get it on release date.

karneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By karneh

Are people still whining about the RRoD?

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By JoelTGM
    @Karn said:
    " Are people still whining about the RRoD? "
    people will whine about it as long is the problem exists.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

FACT:360s all ways break, they only last a few days people have never had them last since launch or a while for that matter.
    FACT: one cannot get their 360 fixed its impossible. 

I have 2 360's a pro launch which still works, and a Elite which suffered e74 once it was fixed in a week and 2 days, Now it just purrs along and i use it contantly, I have about 54 or so 360 games and am currently watching the golden voyage of sinbad on netflix on the elite.
     the 360 has great games, Doesn't break nearly as often as people make out, and Microsoft has been taking steps since day one to decrease RROD. *i've never had rrod*  I enjoy my 360 which is something i cannot say for my Wii or ps3.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Akeldama
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @Brunchies said:
    " Microsoft is very cheap especially considering that some things the developers wanted to make free but Microsoft forced them to price. Still, the console has a lot of great games and I might be an exception where my 360 only broke once out of the two years I had it, So its not a big deal for me. I agree that their customer service is horrible but they are a multibillion dollar company so petitions wont work on them and the games are the only thing that makes a console worth buying so if the games are great, the console is still worth the annoyances. "

Oh you mean the developers that wont pay for the certification and hosting of the DLC and in so doing force microsoft to do it a COMPANY doing what a company does and thats make money?
    If the developers would pay for certification and the hosting of the DLC its been shown in the past that Microsoft has no problem with free, I mean hell Batman AA is comming out with free DLC for each iteration of the game *pc, ps3, and 360* I just downloaded free tracks and cars last night for forza 2.
    And there customer service is no worse then quite a few other companies out there.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Branthog
    @TomA: What is more expensive? Buying another $300 console or standing on principal and sitting with thousands of dollars of games in your collection that you can't play? It's a shitty proposition, but once you're in -- you're in. Unless you're willing to part not just with the machine but the entire collection. The fact of the matter seems to be that people find the online experience, the size of community, the number and quality of games available, and all of the other aspects of the 360 to be so superior to the other systems that they're willing to buy them multiple times if necessary. That says quite a bit about the competition.

Now, I'm not a fanboy by any stretch of the imagination. Just a realist. I own all three consoles. And about 25 consoles beyond that. The only one I've had to replace due to problems is the 360 -- and that was when the optical drive on the first generation system just stopped working. Replaced it with an Elite and haven't had a problem since.

Is it a bunch of shit? Sure. Should there have been a class action suit like there would be for any other product on earth that had that sort of problem? Absolutely. But it's the same reason a lot of people use Windows instead of Linux or OSX or Unix. Sure, Windows has a high failure rate and plenty of problems and can make computing a miserable experience. But people continue to buy into it, every time. Why? Because they have the market share. And the applications. It leaves you with little choice unless you're willing to compromise.  And as a life long PC gamer, I have to point out that you could buy several 360s over the length of the current generation and still spend FAR less than you would building and maintaining an up-to-date PC gaming rig (in which you'd also have to constantly deal with the Windows OS by the same company, of course).

Your other options would be a very superior piece of hardware (PS3) with much smaller catalog and user base or a toy console system aimed at the elderly, your little sister, and your mom.

What should have happened is when it was discovered that there were inherent flaws in the product the first time around that were inevitable given enough playing time, they should have recalled them all and replaced them with fixed versions (not let you send them back to be replaced with other time-bombs). And when that was all they would bother doing, someone should have gotten together and filed a class action. That's often something suggested in the same vein of "my dad will sue your dad!" but it was completely reasonable here, if anywhere.

Oh - and it should be pointed out that the biggest problem people encountered was the RED RING OF DEATH which is fully covered by Microsoft for three years after purchase. So it's not like all of those people said "I know, I'm going to go drop another $300 on an XBOX 360 to replace the one that just broke". They returned their box, got it replaced, and carried on.

@ajamafalous said:
    " I have a launch 360, and I've never had a single problem with it. Ever. "

Not exactly definitive or exemplary of any statistical significance. I haven't gotten testicle cancer, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It is more or less a known fact that the first generation systems had a major design flaw that would almost guarantee every one would eventually die due to the flaw, given enough usage over time. Mine died of an optical drive problem (it wouldn't recognize a disk when it was put in) after it was a year old with no more than 100 hours of use on it.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Branthog
    @Psyx2 said:
    " It has very good games, and if it didn't have hardware problems I would have got one long ago. I just don't want to buy something that has such a good chance of dying. Microsoft extending the warranty didn't fix anything.  I rarely get a console, so when I do get one, I want something I know won't break and I can continue using it for years to come. I'd be so mad if I bought a 360, and sometime in the future I pulled it out of the closet and get RROD. My Playstation still works fine... we even have a Panasonic 3DO which works fine. I don't think many 360s will work in 10 years, at least, not launch 360s. "
    Ford once made a shitty car called the Pinto, but then they made some non shitty cars. I wouldn't let the first run of 360s that sucked prevent you from buying a current system. The reliability has greatly improved. If you're especially concerned, just look for the newest chip to start circulating beyond the "Arcade" version as it is known to have fewer if any known problems (such as the RROD or the later E74 GPU overheating issue of the model after that).  I truly hope that this generation's failure resorts in a more cautious and thoughtful next generation. Then again, they've proven that it's more important to be "first" than "best" as their position against Sony's PS3 currently illustrates. *sigh*

I do wonder what it will be like in a decade or two when collectors can still play their old systems... *except* for this current generation which will simply be traded among collectors as "dead boxes" and nothing to play your disks on (of course, who will want to pop in games that are largely multiplayer and require networks and populations that wont' even exist to play them in a decade). Of course, by that time we'll probably all move to digital downloads and there won't be any such thing as a used, retro, or collector's market any longer.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Scooper

lol.... seriousonline petition... please.

clumsyg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By clumsyg

when the first round of rrod (caused by the system update) came around, my launch date 360 was one of the casualties. i had three roommates who played the system more than i did, and i assumed one of them broke it. when i phoned customer service, i was told to pay $100+ for repair because my warranty was up and to ship it myself because they had just ended their policy of sending post-paid boxes. i went online and found news reports about the system update causing rrods, and i called them back. i told the representative that i had just updated, the problems were recent, and i wanted it checked out. strange thing: he said my warranty was still in effect and that a box with paid postage would be sent to my house. instead of repairing it, they sent me a brand new system and gave me a three year warranty.  

besides a couple weeks of not having a system, all's well that ended well. the only thing is, i wonder why i got totally contrasting statements from the two representatives. 

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Damien
    @RipTheVeins said:
    " I know I'm one of the very few exceptions, but I've never had a problem with the 360 or any other Microsoft product.  "
    Ken420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ken420

The rage over RROD & warranty process is understandable, although I've never experienced any problems with the 360 after 2  years. & my old xbox also still works perfectly...  But I know of a couple of friends who are on their 3rd or 4th xbox... one of my other friends just said fuckit and bought an elite instead of dealing with the warranty.  

The only thing I can possibly think of that would accomplish anything would be a class action lawsuit.  But those are a headache in their own right in organization and execution.  And in the end, Microsoft will pass the bill to its consumers, say if they lose & have to pay billions out to consumers.   Looks like a lose-lose situation for everybody.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30  Edited By Deusoma
    @CL60 said:
    I have both and I prefer playing games on my 360. I only ever use my PS3 for the occasional exclusive I feel like playing. "
    This. The only multi-platform game I've bought the PS3 version of was Batman: AA, for the free Joker stuff. And even though it turns out the Joker stuff isn't that great, it still cost me nothing.
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By emkeighcameron

I don't know why, but I think this somehow relates to the issue at hand:

No Caption Provided
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cornman89

As someone whose 360 is only a year old and is thus unlikely to ever crap out, I can't imagine your frustration... though at first glance I think you're both overreacting and minimizing the efforts MS has made to do right by their consumer base. Anyway, while Microsoft seems to have pretty much ironed out the kinks on the 360s on shelves today, I guess that doesn't mean much to people who bought one before, so take my words with a grain of salt.

Admittedly, I've never looked into this too much, since my console's been so consistent, so... what exactly does Microsoft do to your console when you send it in after it goes all screwy? Must not be a very effective treatment, what with them still breaking and all...

Shindiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Shindiggah

I understand that I am in the minority, but my 360 has never broken on me. Plus theres the fact that I prefer a lot of 360's exclusive to PS3 ones, and I think most multiplats tend to be better (imo) on the 360. 
    Not that it matters though, I have both of them xD
    onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By onyxghost

I had a good customer support experience. My Xbox 360 red ringed on a Thursday. I sent it out the next day and I received my repaired box by Friday. I was out a system 7 days. They sent me a card for a free month of Xbox live gold for my trouble. The did me right. I'm sticking with them.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LiquidPrince

Because there is this stupid brand loyalty thing people have...

DeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DeadMan
    @ajamafalous: 
    Me too.....until recently when I got the E74 error but I did not have to pay a dime to get it fixed, well except for the box to ship it in. I also got a 2 year warranty with it.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37  Edited By Cube

Getting real fucking tired of people thinking because their console didn't break, it somehow negates the problem.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#38  Edited By Claude

I fear it like a toothache, but when it happens, I'll deal with it, because I like my teeth.

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By calidan777

I've said this before and I'll say it again, It cost me more to fix my PS3 the one time that it broke than it did for the 5 or 6 360's I've been through.
    But to answer your question about "why do people keep buying 360's?", the answer is simple - more games, better controller, superior online.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

People don't really care until they have to pay again. Once they have to buy another 360, I think more people will be upset. But since they've already invested so much into the system, they don't want to just give up and trade in.

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41  Edited By LaszloKovacs
    @TomA said:
    " I'm looking for a serious online petition"
    Good luck.

I mean I agree that the hardware is pretty effed (I am, no joke, about to mail in my fifth 360 since I got mine at launch) but they do fix them for free. Once they told me they would have to charge because I was out of warranty, but ended up doing it for free anyway.

But the problem ultimately is not going to be solved by boycotting (which really only hurts you if you want to play games) or by suing (which ultimately is lengthy and unrewarding). Pretty much the only way you could convince companies to make more reliable hardware is to somehow sway public opinion enough to get people to stop liking the console. And between free repairs, ever-extending warranties, and the game lineup which includes mainstream staples like Madden and Halo, that pretty much isn't going to happen. I'm afraid this may be a case of you can't fight city hall.

Plus, let's be serious here: online petitions have never changed anything. Ever. They're even less effective than regular petitions.
    Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By Gunner

Get your system wars outta my giant bomb please.

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By empfeix

my friends own xbox, what your asking is unreasonable.  you want me to switch to ps3 and convince all my friends to do the same 

honestly I hear you and things would have been cheaper for all of us if we just went with ps3 to begin with, but how did we know at the time?

TheBigBeefy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheBigBeefy

It could be that they like the console and games and online play. I know that sounds outrageous but I had to think of something.

DrainDeimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DrainDeimo
    @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " Yeah... it's a pretty crappy piece of hardware with accessories that are way overpriced. "
    *nods head slowly*
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#46  Edited By flaminghobo

This thread had flamebait written all over it. 

Personally I think the 360 controller is just better for the way I play games rather than the PS3 controller, and there's not a whole lot that the PS3 does better or has that really attracts me to the console. My 360 has died on me a total of 3 times, twice by RROD and you don't see my whining. I do agree that the accessories are way, way, waaaay overpriced but business is business and so I'll just save up the money to pay for them. I'm not trying to be a fanboy in the slightest because I know that the Playstation 3 is a good console with some cool exclusive games on the system, but seriously an internet boycott isn't going to change anything.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By droop

Becauseit has achievements.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MrKlorox
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " Because there is this stupid brand loyalty thing people have... "
    I love ironic, self-referential statements.
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#49  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I neglect the problem because Microsoft are being really good about it. I mean they're handing out free repairs to a large percentage of 360 owners. Not only that, I prefer it as a console. The controller feels better, the games often end up looking better, and online gaming is more fun on it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.