Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff

Drew Scanlon

Carrie Gouskos

No Caption Provided
Carrie Gouskos has been working in games for 11 years. Most notably, she ensured the quality of the stripping inBMX XXX, dressed up like one of theFur Fighters, played HBO Boxingwith Coolio, and designed the Gerstmann Crypt inWarhammer Online. She moonlighted briefly as a journalist who wanted to be a game developer while Features Editor at GameSpot. She's currently the producer overseeing all ofBioWare Mythic'sLive MMOs, which include Warhammer Online,Dark Age of Camelot, and Ultima Online.

Most Honorable of Mentions

Mass Effect 2, for being a stupendous game made by my employer and which I didn't want to go through the turmoil of having to slot on this list.

10. Alan Wake

Admittedly there were times when Alan Wake was too scary for me. But I kept playing despite a very strong desire to curl up beneath some very well-lit covers. Entertaining through the end, Alan Wake provides the right combination of storytelling, atmosphere, and gameplay mechanics to make it uniquely refreshing and truly fun.

9. Digital: A Love Story

No Caption Provided

I swiped this nomination from the lists of a few people whose opinion I really admire. This free downloadable game tugs at the strings of both emotion and nostalgia. Anybody who has ever felt themselves falling for someone on the internet must play this game.

8. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

While DX didn't make the mind-blowing leap forward from Pac-Man that the original Championship Edition did, the fact that it was still able to improve a formula, which has been timeless for the past 30 years, is a marvel.

7. Call of Duty: Black Ops

No Caption Provided

While much can be said about the quality and atmosphere of the game, both campaign and multiplayer, Black Ops most deserves a nod for creating the most memorable and likeable characters in franchise history: Viktor Reznov and Sergeant Frank Woods.

6. Darksiders

Darksiders combines mature themes, the mechanics of the 3D Zelda games, and the combat of God of War. But where any other game attempting the same might seem derivative, Darksiders makes it an homage, and more than worthy of its great source material.

5. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

No Caption Provided

With each iteration, Assassin's Creed gets better, and Brotherhood adds yet another sheen of polish and slick action to an already beautifully refined series.

4. Minecraft

Whether you're an explorer, builder, socializer, or collector, Minecraft has probably gotten a stranglehold of your gaming compulsion this year and dragged you into endless hours of clicking at square boxes. There's no watercooler talk like Minecraft watercooler talk, and no viral video funnier than " Minecraft Fire WTF!!!"

3. Bayonetta

No Caption Provided

It's been years since Devil May Cry was this good, but it's taken Bayonetta to remind us of what pure stylish action should be. Only next time less crotch plz.

2. Dead Rising 2

Abandoning most of the clunkiness of its predecessor, Dead Rising 2 retains the mechanics that make it blissfully hard, and then majorly ups the ante with joyous new ways to brutally skewer zombies and even sillier outfits than before. If only you could unsee the Mankini.

1. Heavy Rain

No Caption Provided

Heavy Rain is a bold and different type of game, that is as memorable as it is beautiful, and as poignant as it is sad. It's also proof that great game experiences don't require sophisticated controls, and can tell stories that rival any movie. In a year blessed with atmospheric, emotional, and moody games, it seems only fitting to call Heavy Rain the best.

Rocco Botte

No Caption Provided
Rocco Botte is one of the men behind Mega64, a comedic show portraying awkward social situations within and outside of video games. His questionable work can be seen on Mega64.comand all around YouTube. He has never been arrested.

I started my 2010 gaming year off with playing Heavy Rain, where I got the bad ending where everyone is murdered because I didn't feed my son a frozen pizza after school, or something. Pretty much any other game this year was a better experience than that, so this probably won't be the pickiest list ever.

10. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

A tighter, slicker package for Mr. Travis Touchdown (I'm beginning to word things as perversely as the game itself) was forged, but kind of at the expense of memorable characters and scenarios that the original title seemed to have in spades. Still a great time, and I don't know any other title on this list that I actually stayed up all night to beat in one go like I did this one.

9. Dead Or Alive: Paradise

No Caption Provided

Most people have probably stopped reading my article at this point, so I can pretty much say whatever I want without fear of embarrassment. Okay then, here goes: I love dressing up these damn girls. They have done this on like 8 different systems, each version worse than the last, and I STILL NEED ALL THESE SWIMSUITS. Most people will take this portion of the article as "that guy from Mega64 trying to be funny," but if you could genuinely see the amount of polygonal bikinis I racked up on a single flight to Boston, you'd see how serious I really am. 

8. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom

Aside from realizing my childhood dreams of seeing the characters from G-Force beat the crap out of Mega Man's sister, I really just appreciated this game's wild presentation, roster, and controls. As someone who loves, but sucks at fighting games, I really appreciated the simplified control system that many others might not have cared for.

7. Bayonetta

No Caption Provided

Does this count as a game from this year? Despite getting the import version four months before it was released in the US (That's 11 years in Internet-time), I'll let it count. This game had everything going for it--a hot main character, an unintelligible-but-fun storyline, and strategically-placed hair-clothes. And the music was awesome too! Didn't the soundtrack to this game have like 600 tracks or something? That's right. Because even each sound effect was a work of cherished art here.

6. Super Mario Galaxy 2

This was more levels from Super Mario Galaxy. I feel like I shouldn't have to explain myself any further, but if you need any more cool reasonings, just know this: Nintendo added a bunch of perfectly designed levels where Yoshi could run super-fast, just to be total dicks to Sonic Team. Totally.

5. Donkey Kong Country Returns

No Caption Provided

This game would be way higher on the list, but then Retro Studios added a world made entirely of minecart levels and barrel-rockets, so EEHHH EEEHH! This game just slipped on a banana peel to number five! ("EEHHH EEEHH" is the sound Donkey Kong makes when he is critically injured).

4. Dante's Inferno

This game isn't perfect by any means--it actually kinda has a lot of flaws. I can't even really figure out why I'm placing this game so relatively high. I think I was just pleasantly surprised by it. While it definitely featured little originality in the gameplay department, I just really dug this game's portrayal of Hell, its characters, and storyline. I could tell there was a lot of thought put into each little detail, and that kept me wanting more. Just a solid, good time.

3. Rock Band 3

No Caption Provided

The Rock Band series is something I play, either at home or at the Mega64 offices, almost every single day. It just isn't a good work-day if we can't cap it off with a couple off-key performances of old Weezer songs. This new incarnation just perfected every little thing and added tons of gaudy 80's synth-hits, and I really can't ask for any more. Except for maybe more Them Crooked Vultures tracks--you just can't have enough Homme-related content in any one video game.

2. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

This would have actually been my number one pick, but I really feel like this game needs co-op play to truly shine, and it's just not always available. That being said, when I wasn't desperately trying to find people to sneak around and blow up helicopters with, I was clocking serious hours on collecting staff members from Wi-Fi hotspots, organizing staff members, Fulton-izing and recruiting passed-out dudes… all from the comfort of my toilet seat. I'm not joking--this perfect collection of bite-sized espionage adventures is my official pick for Ultimate Dump Game of 2010.

1. God of War III

No Caption Provided
After the first 20 exhilarating minutes of this epic, the game could have just been 10 hours of Kratos handcrafting tortilla warmers. It still would have been 2010's game of the year. A great trilogy-ender and the perfect sendoff to one of gaming's most visceral family stories.
Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff

Drew Scanlon

Carrie Gouskos

No Caption Provided
Carrie Gouskos has been working in games for 11 years. Most notably, she ensured the quality of the stripping inBMX XXX, dressed up like one of theFur Fighters, played HBO Boxingwith Coolio, and designed the Gerstmann Crypt inWarhammer Online. She moonlighted briefly as a journalist who wanted to be a game developer while Features Editor at GameSpot. She's currently the producer overseeing all ofBioWare Mythic'sLive MMOs, which include Warhammer Online,Dark Age of Camelot, and Ultima Online.

Most Honorable of Mentions

Mass Effect 2, for being a stupendous game made by my employer and which I didn't want to go through the turmoil of having to slot on this list.

10. Alan Wake

Admittedly there were times when Alan Wake was too scary for me. But I kept playing despite a very strong desire to curl up beneath some very well-lit covers. Entertaining through the end, Alan Wake provides the right combination of storytelling, atmosphere, and gameplay mechanics to make it uniquely refreshing and truly fun.

9. Digital: A Love Story

No Caption Provided

I swiped this nomination from the lists of a few people whose opinion I really admire. This free downloadable game tugs at the strings of both emotion and nostalgia. Anybody who has ever felt themselves falling for someone on the internet must play this game.

8. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

While DX didn't make the mind-blowing leap forward from Pac-Man that the original Championship Edition did, the fact that it was still able to improve a formula, which has been timeless for the past 30 years, is a marvel.

7. Call of Duty: Black Ops

No Caption Provided

While much can be said about the quality and atmosphere of the game, both campaign and multiplayer, Black Ops most deserves a nod for creating the most memorable and likeable characters in franchise history: Viktor Reznov and Sergeant Frank Woods.

6. Darksiders

Darksiders combines mature themes, the mechanics of the 3D Zelda games, and the combat of God of War. But where any other game attempting the same might seem derivative, Darksiders makes it an homage, and more than worthy of its great source material.

5. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

No Caption Provided

With each iteration, Assassin's Creed gets better, and Brotherhood adds yet another sheen of polish and slick action to an already beautifully refined series.

4. Minecraft

Whether you're an explorer, builder, socializer, or collector, Minecraft has probably gotten a stranglehold of your gaming compulsion this year and dragged you into endless hours of clicking at square boxes. There's no watercooler talk like Minecraft watercooler talk, and no viral video funnier than " Minecraft Fire WTF!!!"

3. Bayonetta

No Caption Provided

It's been years since Devil May Cry was this good, but it's taken Bayonetta to remind us of what pure stylish action should be. Only next time less crotch plz.

2. Dead Rising 2

Abandoning most of the clunkiness of its predecessor, Dead Rising 2 retains the mechanics that make it blissfully hard, and then majorly ups the ante with joyous new ways to brutally skewer zombies and even sillier outfits than before. If only you could unsee the Mankini.

1. Heavy Rain

No Caption Provided

Heavy Rain is a bold and different type of game, that is as memorable as it is beautiful, and as poignant as it is sad. It's also proof that great game experiences don't require sophisticated controls, and can tell stories that rival any movie. In a year blessed with atmospheric, emotional, and moody games, it seems only fitting to call Heavy Rain the best.

Rocco Botte

No Caption Provided
Rocco Botte is one of the men behind Mega64, a comedic show portraying awkward social situations within and outside of video games. His questionable work can be seen on Mega64.comand all around YouTube. He has never been arrested.

I started my 2010 gaming year off with playing Heavy Rain, where I got the bad ending where everyone is murdered because I didn't feed my son a frozen pizza after school, or something. Pretty much any other game this year was a better experience than that, so this probably won't be the pickiest list ever.

10. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

A tighter, slicker package for Mr. Travis Touchdown (I'm beginning to word things as perversely as the game itself) was forged, but kind of at the expense of memorable characters and scenarios that the original title seemed to have in spades. Still a great time, and I don't know any other title on this list that I actually stayed up all night to beat in one go like I did this one.

9. Dead Or Alive: Paradise

No Caption Provided

Most people have probably stopped reading my article at this point, so I can pretty much say whatever I want without fear of embarrassment. Okay then, here goes: I love dressing up these damn girls. They have done this on like 8 different systems, each version worse than the last, and I STILL NEED ALL THESE SWIMSUITS. Most people will take this portion of the article as "that guy from Mega64 trying to be funny," but if you could genuinely see the amount of polygonal bikinis I racked up on a single flight to Boston, you'd see how serious I really am. 

8. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom

Aside from realizing my childhood dreams of seeing the characters from G-Force beat the crap out of Mega Man's sister, I really just appreciated this game's wild presentation, roster, and controls. As someone who loves, but sucks at fighting games, I really appreciated the simplified control system that many others might not have cared for.

7. Bayonetta

No Caption Provided

Does this count as a game from this year? Despite getting the import version four months before it was released in the US (That's 11 years in Internet-time), I'll let it count. This game had everything going for it--a hot main character, an unintelligible-but-fun storyline, and strategically-placed hair-clothes. And the music was awesome too! Didn't the soundtrack to this game have like 600 tracks or something? That's right. Because even each sound effect was a work of cherished art here.

6. Super Mario Galaxy 2

This was more levels from Super Mario Galaxy. I feel like I shouldn't have to explain myself any further, but if you need any more cool reasonings, just know this: Nintendo added a bunch of perfectly designed levels where Yoshi could run super-fast, just to be total dicks to Sonic Team. Totally.

5. Donkey Kong Country Returns

No Caption Provided

This game would be way higher on the list, but then Retro Studios added a world made entirely of minecart levels and barrel-rockets, so EEHHH EEEHH! This game just slipped on a banana peel to number five! ("EEHHH EEEHH" is the sound Donkey Kong makes when he is critically injured).

4. Dante's Inferno

This game isn't perfect by any means--it actually kinda has a lot of flaws. I can't even really figure out why I'm placing this game so relatively high. I think I was just pleasantly surprised by it. While it definitely featured little originality in the gameplay department, I just really dug this game's portrayal of Hell, its characters, and storyline. I could tell there was a lot of thought put into each little detail, and that kept me wanting more. Just a solid, good time.

3. Rock Band 3

No Caption Provided

The Rock Band series is something I play, either at home or at the Mega64 offices, almost every single day. It just isn't a good work-day if we can't cap it off with a couple off-key performances of old Weezer songs. This new incarnation just perfected every little thing and added tons of gaudy 80's synth-hits, and I really can't ask for any more. Except for maybe more Them Crooked Vultures tracks--you just can't have enough Homme-related content in any one video game.

2. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

This would have actually been my number one pick, but I really feel like this game needs co-op play to truly shine, and it's just not always available. That being said, when I wasn't desperately trying to find people to sneak around and blow up helicopters with, I was clocking serious hours on collecting staff members from Wi-Fi hotspots, organizing staff members, Fulton-izing and recruiting passed-out dudes… all from the comfort of my toilet seat. I'm not joking--this perfect collection of bite-sized espionage adventures is my official pick for Ultimate Dump Game of 2010.

1. God of War III

No Caption Provided
After the first 20 exhilarating minutes of this epic, the game could have just been 10 hours of Kratos handcrafting tortilla warmers. It still would have been 2010's game of the year. A great trilogy-ender and the perfect sendoff to one of gaming's most visceral family stories.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d0799277f8eb
deactivated-5d0799277f8eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I mean, YESS

DerekDanahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DerekDanahy

Day 2 Hell yeah!

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ChrisTaran

And no more top 10 lists are needed. We have Drew's. There can be no more authentic list.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64

Glad to see some love from Mega 64.    :)

AllanIceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AllanIceman

Day 2 Begin! 
Can't wait to see Mr. GWhitta's and GregK's lists.  

Edit: Wow,  Digital: A Love Story is awesome!

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Castiel

Yeah baby yeah!

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Master_Funk

Really happy that  there is a diversity in peoples  goty. 

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Undeadpool

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Drew Scanlon is Chris Jericho's super-intelligent (possibly evil?) clone crossed with Michael C. Hall's DNA.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Darkstar614

Rocco's list is pretty amazing

SpiritGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By SpiritGoat

I could watch Drew for so much longer than 3 mins 

Avatar image for ghost_of_perdition
Ghost_of_Perdition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Day two! Let the disagreements and bickering begin...again!

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

#14  Edited By wumbo3000

Limbo is the number one for yet another list.  JEFF WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM??!!

Ronald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Ronald

Good iists all around. And bold of Drew to put Limbo at #1. It's crazy to see the variety of games released this past year when looking at how many different titles are on everyone's lists so far.

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By hicks91

probably been said already but drew = michael c hall

transience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By transience

Limbo's 2 for 2! 

too bad Drew and Alex probably have zero say in the final GOTY :)

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#18  Edited By DarkbeatDK

I didn't even know that Dead or Alive paradise was out. I wonder if Rocco is one of the persons who has all the achievements in the 360 game.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AlexanderSheen

Dead or Alive: Paradise ... what? WHAT!?

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Grissefar

Wow you did well in front of the camera, Drew. It didn't come off mechanical as these sometimes do.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Doctorchimp

Rocco's list is pretty boss. I like it. 

When I saw Dante's Inferno I was about to throw away my mega64 shirt...then God of War III was his number one...and everything was right again.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dany

Love the guest top ten, cool implementation this year

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By Chris2KLee

DREW! Nice moves in the beginning.

Totally agree with Rocco on Peace Walker, it's a quality game.

JTHomeslice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#24  Edited By JTHomeslice

There should be more Them Crooked Vultures in Rock Band.

Sn1PeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sn1PeR

Loving the PC titles here.  Minecraft ftw!

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ShaneDev

You know these lists are more varied than I thought they would be.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By yoshimitz707

If you want a Zelda game with mature themes, that would be Majora's Mask not Darksiders.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LiquidSwords

Drew kept it short and sweet. "GLOWIE!" Carrie!!

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mijati

I think 2010 probably has the widest "valid" Game of the Year options out of any year. Most usually have 3/4 if that but this one has god knows how many,

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By wunder_

GOD I LOVE ROCCO.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Scooper

Drew should be in videos and features more. He knows how to present and talk about games. Interesting lists today! 

I never knew there was a crypt named after Jeff. That's why Carrie's so cool.

Dawglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By Dawglet

I bet Jeff is pissed.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By Jimbo

That Minecraft holovid is the best.

PLWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By PLWolf

Love Rocco's List. Well Done, Sir.

stawnkald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By stawnkald

Man, seeing Carrie's name brought back the good time memories of Jeff, Ryan, Rich Gallup, and her presiding over On The Spot.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By meteora

"Glowieeeee..."

LiK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#38  Edited By LiK

Bayo continues to dominate.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Winternet

Carrie, awesome. And Rocco as well. 

piderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By piderman
@stawnkald said:
" Man, seeing Carrie's name brought back the good time memories of Jeff, Ryan, Rich Gallup, and her presiding over On The Spot. "
Yeah a nice surprise to see her on here.
HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HubrisRanger

Things Rocco likes: Japanese games and tits.

picklecannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By picklecannon

Really varied lists from all the non-whiskey people... Good stuff.

foolosophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By foolosophy

Limbo wins again! Take that Jeff!

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44  Edited By MisterMouse

yay drews day!

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DriveupLife

Limbo #1 again? Seriously people, I played the whole thing and it was not the next coming of the messiah as Alex and Drew have said.

Davin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By Davin

I don't understand all of the Limbo love, I'm in the Jeff camp in this argument. If they try to push it for game of the year I'm going to smash my monitor with a  brick. Well....not really, but you get the idea.

ApolloBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ApolloBob

It's official - I would like to see/hear more Drew in 2011.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By EuanDewar

Drew. Rocco. Carrie. Fuck yes.
ShadowMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ShadowMountain
@yoshimitz707:  Thank you. I'm a big fan of zelda, god of war etc but I found darksiders boring. MM is truely the 'dark' zelda
Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Lab392

Glad to see Peace Walker get some mention.