Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Jan 25, 2011

Dead Space 2 is the sequel to the 2008 surprise hit Dead Space. The no-longer-silent Isaac Clarke finds himself trapped on a city-sized space station called the Sprawl, which has been overtaken by another Necromorph infestation.

Worst review ever?

• 154 results
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#101  Edited By Icemael
    @glorious_leader said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @jozzy said:
    " @Icemael said:
    Almost irrelevant, for fuck's sake. The reason being that the point of video game criticism (and any criticism, really) is, well, criticism, not beautiful writing. As long as the criticism is good and the writer gets his points across clearly (which this IGN reviewer does), things like "crude writing" barely matter. "
    I do not agree at all, a reviewer should be able to critique a game in such a way that it's not a chore to read. A reviewer should be able to do both. "
    If the criticism is good, the text is easily readable (and the text in this IGN review is, aside from that one long-ass sentence, very easy to read) and you're actually interested in what's being criticized, a review can never be a chore to read. "
    Way I see it, in a field saturated with people competing for a job, it should be those that are both masters of the English language and excellent critics of the video game industry that get paid for this kind of thing. "
    If two people who are equally good critics apply for the same job and one writes more beautifully than the other, the sure, he's the one who should be hired. But really, what are the chances of that happening? People who are simply good at criticizing are extremely rare to begin with.
    Avatar image for endlessobsidian
    EndlessObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By EndlessObsidian

IGN is getting more clicks/attention because of this poorly written article than if it was a perfectly structured one. I hate to sound like i'm defending IGN but ultimately, it is a business and clicks are all that matter. Well done Internet, well done.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#103  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @bigsmoke77:  Maybe? ;)

My favourite part of all this is that people seem to be much more concerned with how something is written than what is written.

How about first we move out of this era of subjective regurgitation, where research consists of reading the pamphlet that the PR department sent you and journalism consists of giving your untempered, unaccountable opinion - and then we start worrying about grammar?

...or not, whatever, no skin off my skinbag :)
    Avatar image for glorious_leader
    glorious_leader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By glorious_leader
    @Icemael:  The chances of having two individuals that are perfect parallels of each other in one aspect but deviant in another with both applying for the same job is somewhat unlikely.  I agree.  However, my statement was simply that such an overpopulated field of work should only reward those that show great aptitude in every area necessary to excel in the industry.
    Avatar image for thevideohustler
    TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105  Edited By TheVideoHustler
    @KaosAngel said:
    "It's all over Reddit, and the reviewer called out Reddit...and then Reddit shot back.    Can't spell ignorant without IGN, and seeing as how IGN is owned by FOX...I am not surprised. "

IGN is owned by fox? I can never tread foot there again
    metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#106  Edited By metalmoog
    @BulletproofMonk said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    " HELLO I AM 8 AND ON MY SUMMER HOLIDAY I PLAYED DEAD SPACE 2 AND TEHN I ATE A APPLE AND LOTS OF COOL STUFF!! THEN I HAD A SLEEP THANK YOU.  9.0 "
    Lol'd.  Thank you. "
    Yeah I did too. This was pretty funny.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Demyx

Sure it isn't written well. But I don't think that is really important. Its not a scientific journal. Its a video game website.

But yeah, its not good

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Icemael
    @glorious_leader: Those people are so few, they probably wouldn't even suffice to fill more than one gaming publication. You have to keep in mind that ~98% of the professional video game critics in the world are at about the same level as the guy who wrote IGN's Dead Space 2 review. Poor critics and poor writers.
    WEGGLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#109  Edited By WEGGLES
    @Icemael: thing is. Again. The dude WRITES for a living. People give him money to do so. The writing of that review shows a complete lack of effort overall. It reads like something written in 4th grade. Which is bad enough, but your point about how it doesn't need to be beautiful prose to be a good review is wrong on several levels. First. It's hard to take stuff like this seriously.

I like dead space 2. It was scary. When the scary things happened I was scared. 

I'm not going to put $59.99 on the line for shit like this. Hard to respect someone's critique when they write like that.  

Next, it is a chore to read. There's no flow. Print out that review and read it out loud. If you're still in school, take it to a writers craft teacher and just ask them to take a quick look at it. The writing in this is like driving someone who drives with two feet. 

Dead Space 2 is an amazing game. I'm going to write about its scary moments, cool kills, and how much I dig the main character's internal struggle, but Dead Space 2 is about more than this. When I beat it for the first time, I sat on the couch with my heart racing and dissected the journey I had just taken. Then, I started my second playthrough, and when that was done, I jumped into a new game for the third time. Dead Space 2 is just that good.      

How can you defend this?  

This looks like a rough draft that was edited for basic mistakes like spelling and minor grammar stuff, and that's it.  

When you're taking someone's opinion on how to spend $60, you'd hope they would come across as educated beyond a highschool level, such that they might have an educated opinion.  

...and people defend this? Really? 

REALLY? 

Someone who is, essentially, paid to play videogames and then tell people if he liked it is being defended? What separates him from any one else on the internet? What makes this ok? Why is mediocrity being defended? He certainly isn't a talented writer. His critiques aren't very compelling. He used the phrase "X is pretty much the best Y ever". 

If you ran a website, and paid people to write for the website, you'd feel good about how you spent your money and how you present your site with stuff like this: 

Isaac's losing his mind in Dead Space 2. The guilt is tearing his very sanity apart. That's heavy stuff and it makes for a really engaging story. Isaac doesn't let anyone else in on the fact that he's coming unglued, so as a player I get to see who he really is and the facade he presents to the other characters. Isaac's internal conversations and hallucinations are among my favorite parts of this game.      

3 of the sentences in that short paragraph start with Isaac.  That's something rather basic anyone could pick up when re-reading and fixing their writing up. It doesn't look too good to start so many sentences the same way like that. Just a basic little thing that takes next to nothing to fix up... and it wasn't done. And he's paid to do this.  Shame that people think minimal effort is acceptable. 
    Protag_B4P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Protag_B4P

I'm kind of a hobbyist reviewer who puts in his own time on a silly little website that gets next to no views as of yet (it's kind of unfinished), but reading this review makes me want to strangle myself to death with my own entrails. How come this in-articulate, garrulous divvy gets paid?   

It definitely seems he is a biased, almost manic supporter of Dead Space in the first place, and maybe they should have given this particular game to a less fanatic player? It's like giving Pavarotti his favourite burger to review.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By MiniPato
    @ch13696 said:
    " The very first sentence from the article... 

Dead Space 2 is an amazing game. I'm going to write about its scary moments, cool kills, and how much I dig the main character's internal struggle, but Dead Space 2 is about more than this.

I have never seen a reviewer actually tell me what they're going to write about. "
    lol It's like he's writing an English paper for his composition class or something.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#112  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I thought this review was very poorly written but worse things than this have come out of games journalism.

Groovetron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Groovetron

I am sorry if this has been posted in this thread before (I have not read every page) but I think it worth seeing. 

regardless of the perceived quality of a video game review posted on the internet, what really irks me about this whole situation is how it seems to have brought so many awful, awful pedants out of their dark, lonely caves.  
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#115  Edited By MikkaQ

There's a lot of internet based game reviews with bad grammar. Society in general has pretty bad grammar. It's most likely due to people writing like they were speaking to someone, and not like they were y'know... writing. Like this sentence! 

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Icemael
    @WEGGLES said:

" @Icemael: thing is. Again. The dude WRITES for a living. People give him money to do so. The writing of that review shows a complete lack of effort overall. It reads like something written in 4th grade. Which is bad enough, but your point about how it doesn't need to be beautiful prose to be a good review is wrong on several levels. First. It's hard to take stuff like this seriously.

I like dead space 2. It was scary. When the scary things happened I was scared.  "

Of course it is. It's redundant (and redundance is one of the reasons I said "almost irrelevant") and there's no quality criticism in it. 

@WEGGLES said:

" Next, it is a chore to read. There's no flow. Print out that review and read it out loud. If you're still in school, take it to a writers craft teacher and just ask them to take a quick look at it. The writing in this is like driving someone who drives with two feet. 

Dead Space 2 is an amazing game. I'm going to write about its scary moments, cool kills, and how much I dig the main character's internal struggle, but Dead Space 2 is about more than this. When I beat it for the first time, I sat on the couch with my heart racing and dissected the journey I had just taken. Then, I started my second playthrough, and when that was done, I jumped into a new game for the third time. Dead Space 2 is just that good.      

How can you defend this? "

I defend it because it's easy to read and has no bearing on the actual criticism (which I will not defend, because it's shit). If the reviewer showed great expertise and critical ability, he could write worse than that and his review would still be fucking kickass.

@WEGGLES said:

" When you're taking someone's opinion on how to spend $60, you'd hope they would come across as educated beyond a highschool level, such that they might have an educated opinion. "

Because that's where you learn about video games -- in school.

A video game critic with an educated opinion is not a video game critic who has studied at a university, but one who has played tons of games and understands what makes the good ones good and the bad ones bad.

@WEGGLES said:

" Someone who is, essentially, paid to play videogames and then tell people if he liked it is being defended? What separates him from any one else on the internet? What makes this ok? Why is mediocrity being defended? He certainly isn't a talented writer. His critiques aren't very compelling. He used the phrase "X is pretty much the best Y ever". "

The review is not ok. In fact, earlier in the thread, I said it was horrible. 

@WEGGLES said:

" If you ran a website, and paid people to write for the website, you'd feel good about how you spent your money and how you present your site with stuff like this: 

Isaac's losing his mind in Dead Space 2. The guilt is tearing his very sanity apart. That's heavy stuff and it makes for a really engaging story. Isaac doesn't let anyone else in on the fact that he's coming unglued, so as a player I get to see who he really is and the facade he presents to the other characters. Isaac's internal conversations and hallucinations are among my favorite parts of this game. "

As I said, if the reviewer possessed great expertise and critical ability, his review would be kickass even with writing like that. So I'd feel great. I'd probably edit the review to make it read more nicely, because, you know, it would be my site, and I would want it to be excellent in every possible way (even those that barely matter), but for the reviewer I would feel nothing but appreciation.
    PoppaKyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By PoppaKyle

Shocked to see its by IGN. 

/sarcasm
    WEGGLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By WEGGLES
    @Icemael: I guess where we disagree on is if it's ok to write like a child or not, and yes you don't learn about games in school... but you do learn to express your thoughts in a meaningful way there. Proper writing adds so much to the review, and takes so little. (Not saying writing is easy, but the effort it would take to make the writing at least look good in that review is menial...)
    Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Jace
    @Jimbo said:
    " HELLO I AM 8 AND ON MY SUMMER HOLIDAY I PLAYED DEAD SPACE 2 AND TEHN I ATE A APPLE AND LOTS OF COOL STUFF!! THEN I HAD A SLEEP THANK YOU.  9.0 "
    Brilliant. IGN material even.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Yeah that was pretty damn bad.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#121  Edited By ProfessorEss

@Groovetron3050: I don't think it has been linked and if it was, I missed it. Regardless, thank you, it's fantastic and exactly how I feel about this thread and many others like it :)

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#122  Edited By delta_ass

I generally don't expect F. Scott Fitzgerald level prose in video game reviews, but... yeah, that was pretty bad writing.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Evilsbane
    @takua108 said:
    " @Icemael said:

" @takua108 said:

" EDIT: For all of you morons saying that most of the criticisms in that image are trivial... WRITING ENGLISH SENTENCES IS WHAT THIS PERSON DOES FOR A FUCKING LIVING! The man gets paid to write English sentences summarizing his experiences playing video games. Read Giant Bomb reviews sometime and notice how they rarely (if ever) have anything anywhere near this level of erroneousness about them.  (Chrome tells me that "erroneousness" is a real word, and I feel awesome for assuming it is.) "

Most of the "errors" aren't errors, just things that could have been written more elegantly. And that type of flaw is acceptable, because he's a reviewer, not a fucking poet --  

as long as the criticism is good, the quality of the writing is almost irrelevant. "

call of duty black ops was a pretty good game I liked some parts of the story a lot and other parts were really hard to follow but the end result was a story that was pretty different from the other call of dutys and thats pretty cool its good to see the series trying new things because the over the top action movie style of the modern warfare games is getting old and they need to move on. i didnt think that treyarc could do as good a job making a story for a call of duty game as infinity ward did because i didnt really like world at war very much but i was surprised that they pulled through pretty well and i even kind of liked the zombie mode in this game when i thought it was really stupid in world at war because what the hell are zombies doing in my call of duty game?!?! i should probably also say that i didnt play much world at war infact i just played it like once at my friends girlfriends house with his little brother. the multiplayer isnt really an improvement over modern warfare 2 it does some things differently like letting you buy your perks and weapons and stuff with cod points instead of unlocking them at a certain level like in call of duty 4 and modern warfare 2 but you still cant buy some things unless your at a certain level anyways so its not like they completely got rid of the old system but yeah the new system works out pretty well. i liked making a sick giant bomb logo with the emblem editor and it was cool to get higher level to unlock more layers also i bet my giant bomb logo is better than yours!!! at first i didnt like some of the killstreaks at all such as guard dogs which completely suck and are op and stuff but then i got used to them and theyre ok i guess now. the maps are mostly pretty good their interesting and varyed but everyone just wants to play nuketown and firing range all the time! and even tho there good maps to play on sometimes it just sucks that everyone wants to play them all the time! at least its not at bad as when the game first came out and you had to keep playing the same levels over and over again so you were literally stuck on nuketown forever cuz everyones dumb but now you get to play a map twice in a row at most before it makes you pick a different one which works out ok i guess. the game was pretty good overall and i liked it a lot and im now ok with treyarc making cod games in the future but im still not sure they should call the next one modern warfare 3 but they probably will and its not a big deal i guess but i would recommend this game to anyone who liked call of duty 4 and modern warfare and wants something a little new and doesn't mind some things being very different from what there used to and if this is how you are then you will probably have a good time playing this game but if you didnt like those games then you probably wont like this one lol obviously 4/5  --- That was almost physically painful to write, so I hope I've made my point. (Edited to remove a few more commas that I missed.) "
    *BAAAAAAAAAAAAAARFFFF BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRF* Ahhhh AHHHh SHIT ...so....badly written....*sobs in a corner* please don't make me read it again....I don't wanna! I don't Wanna!!!!!
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#124  Edited By rjaylee

YO DAWG I HEARD YOU LIKE SPACE AND SHIT. NINE OUT OF TEN FOR REALZ.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Aus_azn

I expect a middle-school writer to do better than that. If I were that writer, I'd be embarrassed especially because he's employed to do that.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#126  Edited By nintendoeats

The fact that people now think that this writing is acceptable makes me wish that I was born about 100 years ago. I will remind you that people born in that time dealt with two world wars and didn't have video games.

Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
    Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Chubbaluphigous

I love that this is a 7 page long thread about grammar.  Maybe there is hope that the people of the internet will learn the difference between "then" and "than".

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#128  Edited By nintendoeats
    @Chubbaluphigous: I think this is less about grammar and more about style. I don't think there are any grammatical issues with the review, its just that it was written in a very clunky way that is painful to read.

It also makes the reviewer come off as someone is didn't keep their head on straight while writing. Judging by the tone of this review, DS2 should be off curing cancer right now.
    minorinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By minorinya

The second game is a guy who's lost everything to these monsters and really has nothing left to lose so hell yes he'll put his life on the line and shoot out an airlock if it means killing seven Necromorphs at once. Isaac is stronger here and I feel stronger playing as him.     

Hey, at least this dude seems into it. lulz.  
    SO HELL YES. 

The last sentence of the review is amazing. 

But seriously, if your job is that of journalism and critique...
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By EuanDewar
    @Bloodgraiv3:
    I think people here are less pissed about his opinion and more about how terribly written that article is.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#131  Edited By Jeust
    @CaptRoFL said:
    " Firstly, I feel the need to point out that I'm kind of a noob at this and this criticism has left me a little... lost? But I shall plow on ahead none the less. My main complaint is with the authors style of writing constantly using words such as "cool" and "heavy" it's the kind of writing an moron could come up with. And his use of slang is frankly ridiculous. I'm not really sure what to think about Dead Space 2 when this person writes... it's all dumbed down. Is it IGN that is terrible or is it their staff?   On a different note, however I would like to have some advice on how to improve myself as a GB member and to not be an asshole. "
    It's for the kids bro.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By jkz

The issue at hand is not grammatical correctness, and all the jackasses who think it is can shove their heads through the nearest window. The issue at hand is that, when writing a review intended to educate the public at large on the merits of a certain product, one needs to be certain that the writing one does is readable for the public at large. If, when reading your review, a large portion of your readership finds itself lost because of your inability to formulate a coherent sentence, then mayhap said review should have spent more time in the incubator.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This has been all over Reddit the last 24 hours. Personally, I think the word choice is a little... conversational. If this were a transcript of a podcast, for example, there'd be little out of place here. Dude liked the game. 

However... When you're paid to write for a living, you should be expected to know how to do it well. Reviews are purchasing advice, right? An outline of features with some personal opinion? This is the exact opposite. I would expect to read something like that in an amateur blog by a guy in his free time, not a staff review from a professional writer.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By ShaggE

I see this review as a good thing. I'm trying to make it as a game journalist, and if this is the level of writing that big sites like IGN are letting through, then I've got nothing to worry about.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#135  Edited By KaosAngel
    @TheVideoHustler said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    "It's all over Reddit, and the reviewer called out Reddit...and then Reddit shot back.    Can't spell ignorant without IGN, and seeing as how IGN is owned by FOX...I am not surprised. "
    IGN is owned by fox? I can never tread foot there again "
    Yeah it is.  It's why I also never go there.  They try to hide it a lot too, but money doesn't lie.  FOX News owns IGN, and IGN is a part of FOX.
    Avatar image for glorious_leader
    glorious_leader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By glorious_leader

This thread is convincing me that the video game journalism industry desperately needs me.

RubberFactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By RubberFactory

"But I have lots of favorite parts to Dead Space 2."

That's an actual quote from the review.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Jeffsekai

OH GOD NOT HERE TOO. 

FUCK OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually love reading reviews, but that was a bit painful to read. 
    He did get his points across though...  I just wish it was written a bit more eloquently.

rawrnosaurous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#140  Edited By rawrnosaurous

For an aspiring writer, IGN has certainly set the bar low enough that I wonder why someone goes to college if you can get paid writing like that.

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By LiquidS

Everyone has there bad days in the office I guess but that is a very poorly written review by a professional. 

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#142  Edited By Matfei90

Too many personal things in it, for me. I was told when you're writing that you should avoid referring to yourself. Overall it read like a john doe user review.

frostyxc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By frostyxc

There seems to be a few misconceptions here. 

First off--this Greg guy is not a journalist. The man is a product reviewer. I know "journalism" and "journalist" get bandied about because it's hard to succinctly describe what it is, but very little journalism happens at IGN or any other website/publication. (Whew! Talk about a cumbersome statement!)  And "product reviewer" or "game critic" doesn't sound as fancy, of course.  If you want actual (albeit often badly researched) journalism, go read the Washington Post, or something.

The other misconception by the fine folks in this thread is that they could do it better. Well, if you can do it better, go do it... better. Get a job in the industry and make big bucks off of your tight, poignant  writing. Go out there and be the voice for a new generation! Or go back to your English 112 class at State U and smugly think to yourself how you can do it all better. And once you convince yourself that you are the best, go and comment on threads at "professional" (I use this word loosely)  sites about how everyone just can't match up to your abilities and understanding of writing.

Also, News Corp. owns IGN, not FoxNews. Get your political goose-stepping out of here, boys.

We should also not forget how much writing these people have to do. I'm not saying the writing at IGN is ever great (I cringe at the "better" writing there), but when you have to write a lot, with a higher word count than is actually necessary, you're going to phone in a few. Not everything is going to be aces. Heck, maybe nothing will be aces... but that's just the way it goes.  They need people who get off the pot and shit out a review/preview, great or not. A lot of you here seem to be stuck on the pot.

And to finish this meaningless rant-a-thon, I think a lot of nitpicking has to do with English majors, or self-professed English experts feeling... nay, WANTIN to be heard. (And because they can't get jobs! Ha!). Writing doesn't have to stick to a formula. As long as it easily consumed and enjoyed by the reader, who cares if a tense is out of place or a causal tone is inappropriately struck? Sure, this Greg fella failed in spades at his review. The opening is term-paperish, and he slangs it up too much, but you can gather from the review that Greg really likes the game. He really, REALLY likes the game. And he didn't want to waste time writing a more thought-out review so he could get back to it... OR he was just tired and phoned it in so he could move on with his life. 

Regardless... chill out, dudes.

(And yes, you may tear apart my writing at your leisure.)

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#144  Edited By MachoFantastico

I've read worse, I know I've written worse. Better then some of the usual crap IGN have on their site.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By audiosnag
    @PrimeSynergy said:
    " So if I understand this correctly, he still gets paid to write about games while countless people, who aren't being paid, dissect each and every little thing he says in order to put him on blast. There is a winner and a loser in this situation and Greg Miller is not the loser.  If you feel that strongly about it, leave a calm, polite comment on the page and move on. "
    Yup. I'm amazed this big a deal is being made about this.
    otis42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By otis42
    " It's been three years since the events of the first game, but protagonist Isaac Clarke still can't catch a break."
    Doesn't really make sense since he's had three years in between games. Maybe I'm just wrong about that.

"At the beginning of Dead Space 2, he wakes on a space station known as the Sprawl and finds the place is overwhelmed by an outbreak of reanimated corpses called Necromorphs "
    Wake is probably not the right verb tense to use in this situation. In any case it sounds awkward regardless. Maybe "wakes up" or "is awaken", is "waking" throughout the game? Does he "wake" sometime but not other times? 

"This is where you come in. As Isaac, you'll pick up your plasma cutter, don an engineering suit and take the fight to the beasts out to kill you" 
    Probably should have established you play as Issac in the introductory statement about what is happening in dead space 2. It feels awkward when you say "this is where you come in" after you've already talked about the main character. Also you've established what Necromorphs are and that your fighting them. Calling them "beasts" is also a little awkward after you've done the establishing.

"That's heavy stuff and it makes for a really engaging story. Isaac doesn't let anyone else in on the fact that he's coming unglued, so as a player I get to see who he really is and the facade he presents to the other characters"
     Saying "that's heavy stuff" is very informal and opinonated in a bad way. In additon don't use "I" your speaking to the reader of this review. "so you as a player" sounds better

"Toss in some new disturbing enemies and surprises I won't ruin for you and you have a game that can feel like "the same old thing" at times but becomes much more than that as a whole."
     You just explained in the paragraph above how the combat is more satisfying than the original. In addition you flip flopped in the paragraph above when you said 
    "Slowing down a Necromorph, blowing off its arm, and using the severed limb to impale the foe on a wall is a thing of beauty that doesn't get old." But here your saying that it can feel like the same old thing.  Even though it's different point it starts to sound a bit redundant.

" The second game is a guy who's lost everything to these monsters and really has nothing left to lose so hell yes he'll put his life on the line and shoot out an airlock if it means killing seven Necromorphs at once" Kind of a run on sentence.

"  Isaac feels like a badass here, and he should. He's fought these monsters before and he's used these weapons before"  
    You just explained to me in the previous paragraph that there's new weapons and enemy types that help make this game more fun an exciting.

"As much fun as all that is, the "go here and do this" structure does hamper the overarching story."
    What does "go here and do this" mean? When i think about this it sounds to me like an open world mission structure but almost every game can be described like this. You do a better job describing this feeling below lose this sentence.

P.S  In no way do i have a degree or any thing just some things you can do to shape up the review a bit.
    DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By DougQuaid

Maybe I'm reading a little too much into this, but did I really hear Brad riff on this review a little bit on this week's Bombcast?  

"I... I effin' love the ess out of Dead Space 2; I don't know if you noticed. ...Dead Space 2 is an amazing game, and I'm going to talk about why. ... ... Too soon?"

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Baillie

You all need to get a life.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By RE_Player1
    @DougQuaid said:
    " Maybe I'm reading a little too much into this, but did I really hear Brad riff on this review a little bit on this week's Bombcast?  

"I... I effin' love the ess out of Dead Space 2; I don't know if you noticed. ...Dead Space 2 is an amazing game, and I'm going to talk about why. ... ... Too soon?"

"
    Yeah I laughed when he did that. Seriously that review is garbage. The difference between Giantbomb and other sites is that they know when to be goofy and when to be a professional. I've listened to Greg Miller a lot when I used to listen to Podcast Beyond and he seems like a nice guy. Really excited, can be funny, loves video games. But, in this case, I think he got into his gamer persona of yelling and making jokes and not is professional persona. If you compare Brad's review to Greg's you can see the difference between someone who has been doing this for years and has learned to take the fan boy, funny guy hat off for reviews and someone who has not. I hope Greg will learn from his mistakes and become a better writer when the dust has cleared. 
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By iamjohn
    @MordeaniisChaos said:

" Also, remember that he is writing for gamers. Expecting them to have a sophisticated handle on the English (or any other) language is a little silly. "

A review by a professional writer should read like it's written by someone who is paid to write, not a nine-year-old.  And arguing that "gamers" cannot understand good writing is fucking stupid and horrifyingly offensive.  Sorry if I'm an adult and I'd like games criticism written to read like it was written by someone at my intelligence level. 

Also, comparing this to Brad's review is equally asinine since Brad's review is well written.  You know, like something from a professional writer should be. 

This is exactly why games writing - hell, writing in general - is fucked.  The rise of shitty attention-grabbing blogs has somehow convinced everyone that professional writers don't have to be held up to the most basic of standards, such as being able to write semi-coherently and intelligently or doing simple things like fact checking or editing.  If we don't have standards, nothing will ever get better.  Attitudes like this are completely part of the problem.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.