1UP / EGM - Discuss it here!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ColMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#201  Edited By ColMustard

someone better sign SeanBaby... best articles in the whole magazine.\

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#202  Edited By turboman

SeanBaby is freelance, so he wasn't let go... he just lost a space to send his stuff too

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I hope the layoffs are all a bit exaggerated and that not so many of my favorite 1up staff are actually being killed.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#204  Edited By Rowr
TurboMan said:
"tokyochicken said:
"
GarnettLee to all the awesome tweets for us, thank you more than I can say, and yes, there will be future confirmation of weekends

"
about to post that, it'll still be crap though without shane"
DRUNKEN ONE MAN DOWNWARD SPIRAL CAST.

I will totally listen to that.

What will happen when there is noone to keep Garnetts insane theories and idea's in check? What will he do with noone there to feed him the details he didnt bother to research?

Wow i actually feel sad now.......
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#205  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

Wow... Great news to come back to after almost dying on the icy roads... 1up was awesome and it's a shame to see this happen. Good luck to everyone who was affected and welcome to all 1up refugees.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#206  Edited By mike
Gorillawhat said:
"I hope the layoffs are all a bit exaggerated and that not so many of my favorite 1up staff are actually being killed."

I don' t think UGO is actually killing anyone.  These people are just losing their jobs, they'll find new jobs and be just fine.  Probably.
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#207  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

No, they're not killing them but I don't think they'll find new jobs either. Before they left UGO threw a handful of crumpled up papers at them and was yelling about how they'll never work in this town again.

mcrproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By mcrproductions
MB said:
"Gorillawhat said:
"I hope the layoffs are all a bit exaggerated and that not so many of my favorite 1up staff are actually being killed."

I don' t think UGO is actually killing anyone.  These people are just losing their jobs, they'll find new jobs and be just fine.  Probably."
I was thinking that exact same thing but for some reason i bursted out laughing when I read it...
ferrarimanf355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#209  Edited By ferrarimanf355
greennoodles said:
"Shane claims he had a gig lined up. What would you all do if these guys ended up at GS? I have not gone there since the jeff thing, but it would be hard to stay away. Whats scary is that this isnt impossible."
Remember, Milkman used to work at GS, now seeing him go back there would be weird.
Agent_Eli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#210  Edited By Agent_Eli

I just read the UGO article on the acquisition. to say the least, it insulted my intelligence.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MB said:
"Gorillawhat said:

I don' t think UGO is actually killing anyone.  These people are just losing their jobs, they'll find new jobs and be just fine.  Probably."
But having them all congregated at 1up was perfect. After the destruction of CGW magazine and GFW, I know 1up was slowly deteriorating, but I was fine with it as long as 1up Yours and EGM were still around.

No UGO isn't killing any staff, but they are killing a perfectly good thing.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By Rowr
MB said:
"Gorillawhat said:

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By mike
Gorillawhat said:
But having them all congregated at 1up was perfect. After the destruction of CGW magazine and GFW, I know 1up was slowly deteriorating, but I was fine with it as long as 1up Yours and EGM were still around.

No UGO isn't killing any staff, but they are killing a perfectly good thing."
Evidently EGM or 1UP wasn't "perfectly good" from a business standpoint, otherwise they wouldn't have been sold off (and one closed down) in the first place.  I know it sucks and I feel for all those people who lost their jobs too, but try to look at these things from a different perspective.
greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#214  Edited By greennoodles

How long before UGO makes 1up all top 10 lists that have one thing on each page with crappy flash animations and pictures of Jessica Alba all over the site? I haven't actually gone to 1up in like an hour mind you, so it may already be like this. Oh, and you guys should lurk the NEOGAF thread about this. it is pretty interesting
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347957

H0PLITE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By H0PLITE

Well, I'm new here at Giant Bomb thanks to the stupid actions of UGO...Hi Guyz!

ferrarimanf355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#216  Edited By ferrarimanf355

Sam Kennedy= Judas. Yes, I broke out the biblical references...

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#217  Edited By Claude

It's not personal, it's all about the monies.

Br26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By Br26

it's sad but, it's a sign of the times I guess. that's all you can really say about it.

JohngPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#219  Edited By JohngPR
Holy crap man. This is truly an end to an era...I think they were the last good people left that did print and the best online as well. I'm sure a lot of these people will get hired elsewhere strengthening other sites but it's sad that it's all basically come to an end. 

I can't see 1up being worth anything after getting rid of that many people.

Tylahedras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By Tylahedras

I have been mulling around the 1up forums in one form or another for maybe 8-10 years... So sad, so very sad, so many refugees fleeing their homeland.

quaunaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By quaunaut

Wow... I'm glad I just registered here last week. I've been in the 1Up community for a good year now, and this just...fuck. That was the last reputable place out there, and I just got my first subscription to EGM. Only have gotten 2 issues thus far.

Fuck this shit.
JohngPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#222  Edited By JohngPR

I wouldn't put the blame solely on Sam here.  Afterall, he's just doing damage control after shit hit the fan.  I wouldn't expect him to say anything less....afterall he's still employed by them.  With all that said, I just might make this a board that I frequent more.  I listen to all the podcast but don't usually post here.    

Churchy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By Churchy

Hello there Giant Bomb, the lone standing bastion of people who's opinions I trust about video games on the internet.  Keep up the awesome, I need something to fill the 1up hole in my week.

Tylahedras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By Tylahedras

Maybe Giant Bomb can pick up some of the 1up people? Maybe? I wish? God I'm so lost...

Rorschach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By Rorschach

Fucking UGO. How can the laying off of people you don't even (personally) know feel this shitty? Hoping they all land on their feet.

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#226  Edited By serbsta

You cant trust anyone with the last name Moses... just doesnt work.

Rorschach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Rorschach
MB said:
"Gorillawhat said:

No UGO isn't killing any staff, but they are killing a perfectly good thing."
Evidently EGM or 1UP wasn't "perfectly good" from a business standpoint, otherwise they wouldn't have been sold off (and one closed down) in the first place.  I know it sucks and I feel for all those people who lost their jobs too, but try to look at these things from a different perspective."
A terrible, terrible, evil, wrong, Santa Claus & Easter Bunny- revealing, horrible, naiveté smashing, hot girl shooting you down, favorite band disbanding, empty ass perspective?
p.s. I only jest.

p.s.s. Sort of.
Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#228  Edited By Metric_Outlaw
OwlBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By OwlBoy

This sucks so much!

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#230  Edited By BawlZINmotion

Just think of it this way, most of the people that made 1UP what it was were terminated. Maybe they'll just start up another site and bring, more or less, the same awesome original content. Who knows. Regardless it is still sad.

psmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By psmgamer

Sad to see EGM take the final plunge after all these years its been getting worse. I am gonna miss getting the mag in the mail but mostly i will miss the podcast that 1up put on like EGM Live, 1up yours, and Retronaunts. 

Bobafeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By Bobafeet

This just makes me so sad, I loved their podcasts and their general demeanor they had, they realy loved writing and talking about games and they will be missed, I hope all of them can land on their feet =/

The URL is the same, but it will be but a shell of it's former self.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By mike
greennoodles said:
"How long before UGO makes 1up all top 10 lists that have one thing on each page with crappy flash animations and pictures of Jessica Alba all over the site? I haven't actually gone to 1up in like an hour mind you, so it may already be like this. Oh, and you guys should lurk the NEOGAF thread about this. it is pretty interesting
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347957"

It may be interesting but I don't really have a couple of extra hours to read a 51+ page thread...can you maybe give us the Cliff's notes version of it?
dualityofman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By dualityofman

Man, that was such bad news.  I guess we should' have all seen it coming with the lack of advertisement and the shutting down of OPM and EGM.  It was at first rest in peace GFW Radio for me, well now the whole network is gone and probably the same stuff that happened to Gamespot's editorial content is gonna happen.  It's just gonna be a bunch of watered down game site cliche shit. 

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By The_Ish

Frankly I never really cared for 1UP. But EGM... oh god. :(

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#236  Edited By TheGamerGeek
Thrawn said:
"

looks like shit's going down throughout the entire industry....

here's to hoping that 2009 will improve!

"
It will not
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#237  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

hmm i thought they were just taking EGM to a fully digital publication and not shutting it down >_<

Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By Space

Time and Space weeps for those holy ones who have lost their jobs. It is indeed a very sad loss for me; if not all the fans of the 1up crew but let us remeber the good times for they will make the memories forever sweet in our gaming souls. I hope all of the 1up crew have a bright and successful new start ahead of them

Giant Bomb should not look at this situation and think "Oh yay, new members!" The gaming jounalism industry is a tough one but once you get successful in it the fun seems like it never ends. Unfortunelty though, this train has taken it's final stop and it's greatest passengers after a long, comforting ride have departed. I wish the future 1up the best of luck however. Sam Kennedy is in a very tough position and he shouldn't be shunned for it.

-Space

Baldraven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By Baldraven

The ex- YOURS and FM teams need to move over to Giant Bomb or Revision3. that would be awesome.

I guess i have no use for iTunes now then...
MikeydCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 7

#240  Edited By MikeydCT

I only been to 1up.com once that was when Jeff got left go and I went to look for a new site, I have listen to both podcast. EGM never heard of.
could the Giant bomb crew grow from this?

monosylabik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By monosylabik

It's 2:30am on the west coast now and Nick Suttners twitter feed just informed me (and woke me up) that the 1upFM back catalog just went up as a torrent (although I'm not sure what the rules are about linking directly to torrents so I'll just link to his twitter and I'll get on to reading your rules later today). This has really been a sad day for myself. I grew up 15 long years with EGM and have been around 1up since the Gamer.com days. So now I find myself in this new and very pretty looking message board you guys have here a bit ho-hum, but kind of excited to finally check this whole site out for once. I've heard great things and I'm glad to see there isn't a lot of shunning going around for the 1up refugees. Hope to start posting more often when I find the time :)

These guys are super talented and I've had the chance to meet many of them (and have a lot of drinks with them PAX 08!) and have always been some of the coolest people I've come across. No doubt they have some very bright futures ahead of them even if today was pretty bleak.

Rorschach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By Rorschach
MikeydCT said:
"I only been to 1up.com once that was when Jeff got left go and I went to look for a new site, I have listen to both podcast. EGM never heard of.
could the Giant bomb crew grow from this?"
?!!!?
AlwaysCrashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By AlwaysCrashing

Copy pasted from neoga. A post from Sam Kennedy, a 1up editorf:

Hey guys, I haven't really read through this thread -- 50+ pages! -- and I probably won't ever be able to. But I did want to hop in here since, well, this is a pretty fucking big deal, I just lost almost half my staff, and God knows what sort of hate is flying around right now.

There's no way to rationalize this for most people, and I don't want to sugarcoat anything. My blog (for anyone that actually read all of it) was sincere -- this is a great thing for 1UP. Lord knows we need some better infrastructure and backing. As for many of the podcasts and other shows that we worked so hard on -- and the people that produced them -- obviously, not so much. And I'm not saying that's OK, and I'm not saying you should even be remotely fine with that -- it kills me (and, to be perfectly honest, even the UGO people), that not everything could be preserved.

And I'm not here to defend this. It freaking sucks. But from my vantage point, UGO did what they could to, what I consider, "save" 1UP. Obviously, all of us would have wanted to see things go differently -- most of all me, considering I just lost many of my closest friends as coworkers and employees today.

A couple of things to realize, though:

Fact: 1UP was a business that was losing money.

Fact: This economy sucks and the ad market is diminished.

Fact: Ziff Davis has been trying to offload 1UP for years.

With those sorts of factors playing against us, something had to give. Everyone loved the stuff we did, but our business wasn't in the best of shape (see: Ziff-Davis files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy last summer).

My hope in all of this, over the last year or so, was that some company would come along and be able to buy 1UP -- the entire operation -- and run with it. And I think UGO had actually originally approached 1UP with those same hopes.

But the reality of the market was that no company, including UGO, was willing to sustain 1UP as it was. And that includes Ziff Davis. I hate to to break it to you, but the sad fact was that there was little hope for 1UP to continue as it had been. Not in this economy. If any company out there would have been willing to support us as we were, they certainly didn't step up.

The only company that really did was UGO, and they did their very best to continue 1UP.

So like I said, while UGO may appear like the bad guy here, in a lot of ways, they just did what few, if any, other companies would. And, from everything they've indicated to us, they are completely supportive of 1UP and its people. Believe me, they were in the office today and were just as distraught about the losses of any of these shows and the people.

Of course, that doesn't make things any better for any of us. Fact is, we -- as in, the games industry, not just 1UP -- are losing some great things today. I'm with you in mourning. But I have a commitment from the UGO guys that they -- now, actually, we -- are going to do whatever we can to help these guys out and look for ways to continue these shows with them and/or to look into possibilities for new shows in the future. I'm not saying everything will be back to "normal" as you knew it anytime soon, but I am saying there should be some good things to look forward to in the future.

But anyway, now's not the time to think ahead -- certainly not for me, at least. Right now I'm just concerned about my friends. I just came back from a night of drinks at our regular spot, where lots of the games industry showed up to show their support for the guys. Honestly, it was so great to see everyone come out for the team. While a part of me is certainly happy about what UGO/Hearst has just done for 1UP -- because, like I said, it could have been a lot worse -- today was the worst day of my life.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By BiG_Weasel

Hey, bombers! Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been a 1up regular for years, but the community on that site has now jumped ship, and I don't blame them. I heard about Giant Bomb on the 1upYours podcast, so they essentially told me where to go after 1up.com officially was gutted.

You'll be seeing me a lot on these forums, and hopefully making a few friends. I'm downloading the latest GB podcast right now (you guys have me as a subscriber : )  ) At any rate, those who are interested can shoot me an invite. Thanks again!

Cogito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By Cogito

Welcome all 1up people, and may GiantBomb go strong.

I left there awhile ago, a bit before Jeff Green, left, and I was searching till I found GB, So this story has a big impact for me as well, I read EGM since I was a kid.

Good Luck to Shane, Anthony, and others in either looking for a new job or still working there.

cantona222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By cantona222

Guys, the video game industry looks scary. There are a lot of laying off of employees, and studious being shut down. :(

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#247  Edited By OGCartman

Aw shit, thats horrible!

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#248  Edited By gearhead

Just in, Nick Suttner and Phil are starting a new podcast. Anthony is going to be on also.

marko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By marko

Hey guys/gals,
I've just signed off from 1up and have decided to dedicate myself to giantbomb.  It's a very sad day for me as I loved the site, shows and staff of 1up but there is no way I am going to support UGO going forward.  They can fuck right off.  I've heard alot of people on the 1up boards talking about this site so I thought I'd give it a go.  The place looks cool and by the look of the posts on 1up appreciation I think I'll be right at home with like-minded gamers.
RIP 1UP........................................hello to giantbomb!!

marko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By marko
Gearhead said:
"Just in, Nick Suttner and Phil are starting a new podcast. Anthony is going to be on also."
Any other info?  Where, when?  I love those guys!  Hope Tina is on it too - her and Anthony are awesome together.