And The Next DS Final Fantasy Remake Is...

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
Looks halfway decent, actually.
If you enjoyed the DS-based 3D remakes of Final Fantasy IV and Dragon Quest IV last year, you might suspect that Square-Enix would keep rolling right through the two series with updated versions of the next game in each. Well, you'd only be half right. Dragon Quest V is in fact coming to the DS in a few weeks.

According to Japan's Shonen Jump via Kotaku, however, Square is going off the rails with Final Fantasy. The next 3D remake for the DS won't be Final Fantasy V--or even the more popular FFVI, which actually saw a big stateside release in its day. Instead, it's Final Fantasy Legend II that will next appear with a fully redone presentation, an old Game Boy hack-and-slash action RPG from the early '90s. Heck, it's not even a real Final Fantasy game. In Japan it was part of the SaGa series, though you can imagine why marketing priorities would have rebranded it under the far more popular Final Fantasy franchise when it did reach these shores.

The DS remake is said to be coming out later this year in Japan, by which time I hope to have finally finished Final Fantasy IV DS. (What? Can't help it that Chrono Trigger is so good and a lot more accommodating in the difficulty department.) If you really need to satisfy a portable jones for more Super NES-era Final Fantasy games, you should be able to track down the decent Game Boy Advance rereleases from a few years ago.

Here's the full-size version of the Shonen Jump spread. Japanese game magazine layouts are so crazy. They make me miss GameFan.

CORRECTION:
Hailinel points out that the Legend games were in fact turn-based RPGs from the start; I was thinking about Final Fantasy Adventure. No excuse whatsoever. I totally knew the SaGa games were real RPGs, and I owned the first FInal Fantasy Legend when it first came out way back when. My pride regrets the error.
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
If you enjoyed the DS-based 3D remakes of Final Fantasy IV and Dragon Quest IV last year, you might suspect that Square-Enix would keep rolling right through the two series with updated versions of the next game in each. Well, you'd only be half right. Dragon Quest V is in fact coming to the DS in a few weeks.

According to Japan's Shonen Jump via Kotaku, however, Square is going off the rails with Final Fantasy. The next 3D remake for the DS won't be Final Fantasy V--or even the more popular FFVI, which actually saw a big stateside release in its day. Instead, it's Final Fantasy Legend II that will next appear with a fully redone presentation, an old Game Boy hack-and-slash action RPG from the early '90s. Heck, it's not even a real Final Fantasy game. In Japan it was part of the SaGa series, though you can imagine why marketing priorities would have rebranded it under the far more popular Final Fantasy franchise when it did reach these shores.

The DS remake is said to be coming out later this year in Japan, by which time I hope to have finally finished Final Fantasy IV DS. (What? Can't help it that Chrono Trigger is so good and a lot more accommodating in the difficulty department.) If you really need to satisfy a portable jones for more Super NES-era Final Fantasy games, you should be able to track down the decent Game Boy Advance rereleases from a few years ago.

Here's the full-size version of the Shonen Jump spread. Japanese game magazine layouts are so crazy. They make me miss GameFan.

CORRECTION:
Hailinel points out that the Legend games were in fact turn-based RPGs from the start; I was thinking about Final Fantasy Adventure. No excuse whatsoever. I totally knew the SaGa games were real RPGs, and I owned the first FInal Fantasy Legend when it first came out way back when. My pride regrets the error.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

Oh...no FFVI? Bummer.

DBZ_Fanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DBZ_Fanatic

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

FIRST!!!!!!!!
Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Optiow

On the Ds?

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By fr0br0
DBZ_Fanatic said:
"yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
FIRST!!!!!!!!
"
You sir, have failed at the one simple task you were asked to do. Annoy the hell out of us by being first. But even you couldn't do that. You should be ashamed...
RawShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RawShark

Kay, in the screenshot, is chibi-anime-hero holding a chainsaw?

How surprisingly badass.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

Uh, Brad?  I think the old Game Boy game you're thinking of is the hack-and-slash Final Fantasy Adventure, which was later remade as Sword of Mana on the GBA.  Final Fantasy Legend II (and the rest of the SaGa series) are turn-based RPGs.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By albedos_shadow

Wait... what? Are you serious?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Great. More remakes.

Anyone who buys this should feel ashamed.
Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Elazul

Yeah, Halllnel's right. The FF Legend games were all turn based RPGs for the original Gameboy, although that doesn't really make the decision to remake them any less weird. I mean, they're not exactly the best 2D Final Fantasy games, are they?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel

Well, they were never really Final Fantasy games, Elazul.  The Final Fantasy Legend trilogy was actually composed of the first three SaGa titles.  They were just given titles with Final Fantasy in them for their western release because Square probably felt that they could sell more copies that way.  It's the same reason that the original Seiken Densetsu was renamed Final Fantasy Adventure in its western release.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By RenegadeSaint

This does come as a bit of a shocker.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Elazul

Fair enough, I don't mean to talk crap about Square's other games. I just wish that they would get to FFVI already...

Avatar image for deactivated-596b8044e5f9a
deactivated-596b8044e5f9a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I was hoping for FF V or VI, but they'll probably get there eventually. This should be well worth a look.

Wright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Wright

ah well. I'll end up buying it anyways.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Hector

Never got into Dragon Quest.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18  Edited By RHCPfan24
DBZ_Fanatic said:
"yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
FIRST!!!!!!!!
"
Please don't. We don't do that here. And I was first anyway ;)
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By keyhunter

As someone who played a damned lot of Final Fantasy Adventure 2 on the gameboy, I can say with certainty that it was definately not a hack and or slash, but mostly just a dragon quest style turn based RPG.
Also, you fight marine's inside a medieval era princess's immune system.

Matches_Malone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Matches_Malone

At least there's no roman numeral seven attached to it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#21  Edited By ArbitraryWater

So they are remaking this... but they didn't bother to remake chrono trigger?!? What the hell?

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#22  Edited By ImperiousRix

Man.  Was hoping they'd remake V or VI.  Maybe they'll remake/re-release them on the PSP?  I mean, they did that with I and II, why not at least keep the remakes coming?!

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#23  Edited By jacksukeru

As someone who's been playing some Final Fantasy games with a mild interest over a few years, I'm hoping when they do re-remake FFVI they'll make a really big deal out of it. I hear it's pretty good. Also haven't finished FF4 yet, damn that game is just so..

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By kraznor

Nice job there Square, only you know what we truly want.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By DukeTogo

I was expecting a version of FFXI before the jump.  That's something I think would be pretty cool actually, not FFXI in particular but a MMO on the DS, it's certainly capable of it in some fashion.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#26  Edited By LordAndrew
ArbitraryWater said:
"So they are remaking this... but they didn't bother to remake chrono trigger?!? What the hell?"
Chrono Trigger holds up well enough that they didn't need to remake it.
HiroSeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HiroSeven

Yeah, Chrono Trigger is one of those gems that doesn't need a remake so no worries there.

I remember playing Final Fantasy Adventure way back when, but I've never played the 'Saga' series of rpgs. Looks like a good one to try out though.

I'm kinda hoping that SE doesn't remake FFVI, in the same vain as Chrono Trigger; I don't think FFVI  needs a remake. The PS1 Anthology version was enough for me, minus the loading times of course... -_-
If an FFVI remake does come, then great! =)

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MrKlorox

I wish Secret of Mana or Legend of Mana would me remade in DS 3D (though FFVI is my most wanted). Never got into the SaGa series. However I tried back in the PS1 era.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By jakob187

An FFVI remake for DS is like asking for an FFVII remake on PS3.  It's just never going to happen, even though it should.

MacGyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By MacGyver

haha I'm still nailing away at that FFIV too. I haven't picked it back up in a good month or so and don't really know when i will again. to much left for dead and gears of war 2 for me I'm afaid. Anyway what a wierd thing for them to decide to port next. almost like they picked the name of a game out of a hat or something!?!

jj984jj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jj984jj

MacGyver, it's the 20th Anniversary for the SaGa series.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Media_Master

maybe

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#33  Edited By citizenkane

Sounds good, but I want Final Fantasy VI!!