Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JJOR64
http://kotaku.com/5248966/famous-people-sell-games-better-than-game-reviewers

These two are unalike?
These two are unalike?
Publishers should recognize that the televised appearance of celebrities in their underwear hyping Guitar Hero is helping that series beat its better-reviewed competition, according to a gaming analyst.

There are many ways that star game reviewer and Giant Bomb honcho Jeff Gerstmann and star model Heidi Klum are unalike. One of those, may be their ability to impact the sales of games.

Klum may have the edge there.

Celebrities, EEDAR games research analyst Jesse Divnich wrote in a report issued this morning, are trumping reviewers.

"Using celebrities in a mass-market media campaign is certainly one of the most effective ways to create the perception of being a must-own title," he said. "In fact, the Guitar Hero/Rock Band war is a perfect example of how Guitar Hero was ultimately able to gain mass-market acceptance through celebrity endorsements and advertisement even though editorial reviews indicated that Rock Band was a better product."

Rock Band has had the better reviews. But it is Guitar Hero that has had Heidi Klum, Kobe Bryant, Alex Rodriguez and other celebrities dancing in their underwear on TV in order to convince the world how good Activision's rhythm game is. They mattered more, in EEDAR's analysis, than did the game's reviews.

Take that, Jeff Gerstman, Kotaku and every other person or institution reviewing games.

"In this new gaming market," Divnich wrote, "when targeting a mass-audience, it is not always the best products that succeed, but often what the consumers believe is the best product. "

Divnich's analysis was part of his preview for this Thursday's release of NPD game sales for the month of April. That month saw the release of Rhythm Heaven for the Nintendo DS, a game that was promoted with a commercial featuring Beyonce Knowles. The EEDAR analyst believes that the game's sales will be shown later this week to be "nothing short of amazing" due to Nintendo's use of a celebrity to support it, moreso than because the game is exceptionally good.

For as long as video games have been around, celebrities have been enlisted infrequently to hawk them. Games have been treated like movies, allowing the content to hype itself.

But the prospect that Divnich raises is that maybe games should be hyped as products, like soda or cars. Instead of the occasional celebrity endorsement based on the celebrity's inclusion in the game — see Mike Tyson's commercial for Mike Tyson's Punch-Out — perhaps gaming is entering an era of celebrity pitch-people telling the masses what to play. If so, Nintendo and Activision, which have enlisted stars from Nicole Kidman and Mr. T to Ozzy Osbourne and Liv Tyler, appear to be leading that revolution.

OK. So which celebrities should have been pushing Prince of Persia and Chinatown Wars to help those games out?

After reading that I kinda of agree.  There are more people who watch video game tv ads then people reading online reviews.  What do you guys think of this?

P.S.  Not sure if this was posted yet.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By get2sammyb

Yeah I just saw this. I love the way they decided Jeff was the perfect reviewer to focus the article on.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By apathylad

I think it's pretty obvious, the casual audience doesn't bother with reviews.

boatorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By boatorious

So evidently ... marketing works?  Stupendous.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By CenturionCajun

Yep, it's amazing how many people have no idea what you're talking about when you tell them to go to IGN, Gamespot, or Giant Bomb to look up review scores. They are shocked to discover that such things exist.

On the flip side just about everyone watches several hours of television a day. Slapping up a catchy TV ad is going to reach far more of the "casual" crowd.

So, as boatorius said: Marketing works...shocking.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Don't forget though, Masterchief and Mario are celebrities....

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Luke

The thing is, neither really sells me on games and I also hate being "sold" to, in general. 

Nearly every game I buy is usually a sequel, remake, reboot, or RPG and I get most everything on the first day of release.  I also don't watch much TV at all.  The TV's use is for playing video games for hours on end, not wasting my time watching crap :p 

However, I do like reading reviews, but mostly after the fact; when I've already played/beaten the game... I guess just because I like to justify my purchase and also because some reviews are actually entertaining to read too.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King
get2sammyb said:
"Yeah I just saw this. I love the way they decided Jeff was the perfect reviewer to focus the article on."
He was there for two sentences. Besides, after the Kane & Lynch controversy, what other reviewer would be so well known amongst gamers?
lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By lemon360

Aww poor Jeff, his reviews are so good, i'm sure he still sells a crapton of games

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By get2sammyb
Video_Game_King said:
"get2sammyb said:
"Yeah I just saw this. I love the way they decided Jeff was the perfect reviewer to focus the article on."
He was there for two sentences. Besides, after the Kane & Lynch controversy, what other reviewer would be so well known amongst gamers?"
You know what I mean - they could have picked anyone. But they picked Jeff. Because Jeff is a celebrity for Geeks as it is. But they antithesised with Heidi Klum or someone...

Deep, man.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King
get2sammyb said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"get2sammyb said:
He was there for two sentences. Besides, after the Kane & Lynch controversy, what other reviewer would be so well known amongst gamers?"
You know what I mean - they could have picked anyone. But they picked Jeff. Because Jeff is a celebrity for Geeks as it is. But they antithesised with Heidi Klum or someone...Deep, man."
So why make a big deal of it?
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By EpicSteve

I'm not trying to hate, but this article is pretty worthless. Marketing utilizes celebrities all the time. Someone commented on the article saying the average person watches TV, and doesn't read Ign or Giantbomb. That speaks volumes. If a game is advertised, it's going to sell. Remember, Wii Fit was on Ellen and Oprah.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#13  Edited By JackiJinx

As far as I'm concerned, Gertsmann is a celebrity in his own right.

Avatar image for relentlessknight
RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#14  Edited By RelentlessKnight

Every industry has celebrity endorsements so this isn't shocking....

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dethfish
JJOR64 said:

Take that, Jeff Gerstman, Kotaku and every other person or institution reviewing games.

They only had to spell Jeff's name twice and they messed one of em up.
mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mattbodega

I can't tell whether the article is hysterical, disappointing, hysterically disappointing, mean spirited, but dammit, that is one compelling picture.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By Claude

I just watched Ellen and she played EA Sports Active... that will sell a few copies.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By End_Boss
boatorious said:
"So evidently ... marketing works?  Stupendous."
This, and Guitar Hero was not the first massively popular title to use celebrities as it's pimps. World of Warcraft TV spots, anyone?
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By penguindust

Marketing professionals understand a truism.  If you can attach the idea that owning a specific product will get you laid, people will buy that product.  Having said that, let me ask you this...who do you want to sleep with?

Owning a DSi can get you some of this...
Or this.  See how happy she'll be with you and your DSi
Or this. See how happy she'll be with you and your DSi
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Meowayne

Put Brad Shoemaker on that left pic and then ask again.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By RHCPfan24
JJOR64 said:

These two are unalike?
These two are unalike?

Does he like being in the article or the boobies?
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By Red

ORLY?

Reviewers aren't about selling games, they're about making decisions. And seeing as I suck with the latter, I buy a game if a good critic says it's good, not because Megan Fox says it turns her on.
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PenguinDust said:
"Marketing professionals understand a truism.  If you can attach the idea that owning a specific product will get you laid, people will buy that product.  Having said that, let me ask you this...who do you want to sleep with?
Or this.  See how happy she'll be with you and your DSi
Or this. See how happy she'll be with you and your DSi
"
Well . . .she is pretty hot 
But yeah it`s a shame that you can put anyone who doesn`t know shit about the game and that it make it sell better then other gamers telling you if it`s enjoyable or not worth your money. 
FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FlipperDesert
JackiJinx said:
"As far as I'm concerned, Gertsmann is a celebrity in his own right."
I know I'd buy something if he was dancing in his underwear and telling me to buy it.

Wait, what?
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dethfish
RHCPfan24 said:
"JJOR64 said:

These two are unalike?
These two are unalike?

Does he like being in the article or the boobies?"

I can't believe he's looking forward. I'd be turned around and looking slightly down.
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BoG

I think that's my favorite picture of Jeff yet, but I can't put my finger on why.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Poor Jeff. You just can't compete with Beyonce.

On the bright side, NO ONE can pump out copies of Persona 4 to the consumer like Jeff and Vinny. Try havin' Beyonce market that.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Video_Game_King
BoG said:
"I think that's my favorite picture of Jeff yet, but I can't put my finger on why."
Is it because of the awkward "I'd tap that" look on his face?
Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Cheapoz

No Caption Provided

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LiquidPrince
Apathylad said:
"I think it's pretty obvious, the casual audience doesn't bother with reviews."
This.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CL60
Cheapoz said:
"
No Caption Provided
"
I also approve.
godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#32  Edited By godzilla_sushi

Well, celebrities don't sell to me and I buy like 25 games a year sooo....hmm....I wonder which Giant Bomb fellows are responsible for those purchases...

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PercyChuggs

I doubt it. Try getting Heidi Klum to sell the next NIS America PSP RPG. Won't happen. It's all about the franchise.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PercyChuggs said:
"I doubt it. Try getting Heidi Klum to sell the next NIS America PSP RPG. Won't happen. It's all about the franchise."
I guess mainstream stars can only really make already mainstream games sell. 
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dethfish
addictedtopinescent said:
"
PercyChuggs said:
"I doubt it. Try getting Heidi Klum to sell the next NIS America PSP RPG. Won't happen. It's all about the franchise."
I guess mainstream stars can only really make already mainstream games sell. 
"

I don't know. I bet if you got Heidi Klum to promote some random JRPG it would sell much better than if you didn't. The hardest part would be getting her to agree to do it, though it wouldn't be super hard. Money will make people do anything.
Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Vorbis

We demand Jeff adverts.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Video_Game_King
Vorbis said:
"We demand Jeff adverts."
That'd be kinda weird. I don't think Jeff would have the same charm as a pretty hot chick playing a game that runs on charm. Why do you think they used a woman for the game?
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#38  Edited By JackiJinx
FlipperDesert said:
"I know I'd buy something if he was dancing in his underwear and telling me to buy it.

Wait, what?"
Thread officially got too weird for me. Nice job.

Jnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jnal
TripMasterMunky said:
"Poor Jeff. You just can't compete with Beyonce.On the bright side, NO ONE can pump out copies of Persona 4 to the consumer like Jeff and Vinny. Try havin' Beyonce market that."
If I still had a ps2 then I would have bought Persona 4 just because of Jeff and Vinny. Hell I have thought about buying a ps2 again because of persona 4. Unfortunaly I have to agree with the comments about the casual audience only paying attention to marketing instead of looking at reviews. When I purchase games I look at several sites and impressions before picking up a game and I'm 10 times more happy with my selections then when I didn't, but thats just me. 
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40  Edited By Arkthemaniac
JJOR64 said:

"In this new gaming market," Divnich wrote, "when targeting a mass-audience, it is not always the best products that succeed, but often what the consumers believe is the best product. "

Because that's not how it's always been. Mr. Divnich is a fuckin moron.
erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By erinfizz

Not to be the crazy person here by talking about the actual article...but I thought the piece was just weird. I think maybe the writer (Stephen Totilo of all people) should have gone for full on silly, or straight news "hey, endorsements sell games!", instead of that kind of flat hybrid story.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Jeff should totally do a similar advert, but for Rock Band. Jeff dancing around in his underwear would totally get me to buy a game.

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By Johnny5
Meowayne said:
"Put Brad Shoemaker on that left pic and then ask again."
^dude has a point.
Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

I dunno dude... I think it has more to do with branding.  Guitar Hero WAS the hugely popular and critically lauded game from Harmonix, but now Rock Band is that game.  I can't blame people who don't follow the actual business side of things with not knowing that the people who make Rock Band are actually the Guitar Hero guys.