Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Branthog
@100_Hertz said:

" @Symphony said:

" More proof that people will complain about anything. "
It might seem that way, but I truly believe that this whole medal thing will do nothing but cause discrimination and segregation of this amazing online community called Giant Bomb. "
Really? Only one I see doing that is you. I couldn't care less if you subscribe or not. Nobody is forcing any of us to. More importantly, I didn't subscribe so I could be awesome. I subscribed, because I'm currently in a situation where I can do that and I know a lot of other people are not, so I felt it was a good thing to do. I know many or even most others did it for the same reason. It's ridiculous for 95% of the community to piss on the 5% of the community who have "donated", when they're helping everyone out in the process. And we all acknowledge that people contribute in other ways, too. Wiki editing. Database updates. Discussions. There are plenty of ways to repay Giant Bomb for all they give us. Not just money.
PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102  Edited By PillClinton
@Symphony said:

" @100_Hertz said:

" @Symphony said:
It might seem that way, but I truly believe that this whole medal thing will do nothing but cause discrimination and segregation of this amazing online community called Giant Bomb. "
And who's going to discriminate? Will you? I certainly won't. Only a complete moron whose opinion isn't worth anything to begin with would discriminate based on such a thing.  I do think that it'd be neat if people could opt out of displaying their medal just as an aesthetic thing, however. It looks kinda strange with some user icons. "
I won't either, but that doesn't mean there aren't GB users like this.  There are, and they're extremely vocal about their childish, bigoted opinions.  The medals do nothing but add fuel to the fire of discrimination on the forums.   And they just plain look silly.
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#103  Edited By Brians

Just to make things better I have double medals now.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By Mcfart
u aint taken mah medalz
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Branthog
@Briguile said:
" Just to make things better I have double medals now. "
DOUBLE COMPLETE MEDALS! WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#106  Edited By Mrnitropb
@100_Hertz said:
" @Symphony said:

" @100_Hertz said:

" @Symphony said:
And who's going to discriminate? Will you? I certainly won't. Only a complete moron whose opinion isn't worth anything to begin with would discriminate based on such a thing.  I do think that it'd be neat if people could opt out of displaying their medal just as an aesthetic thing, however. It looks kinda strange with some user icons. "
I won't either, but that doesn't mean there aren't GB users like this.  There are, and they're extremely vocal about their childish, bigoted opinions.  The medals do nothing but add fuel to the fire of discrimination on the forums.   And they just plain look silly. "
they look like chin balls.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Branthog
@100_Hertz said:
" @Symphony said:

" @100_Hertz said:

" @Symphony said:
I won't either, but that doesn't mean there aren't GB users like this.  There are, and they're extremely vocal about their childish, bigoted opinions.  The medals do nothing but add fuel to the fire of discrimination on the forums.   And they just plain look silly. "
I've seen FAR MORE comments where people said something along the lines of "I'm glad subscribers have those medals around their photo, so we pick those assholes out" than I have "I'm glad subscribers have those medals around their photo, so we can pick out the people who don't subscribe".
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#108  Edited By Symphony
@100_Hertz said:
" @Symphony said:

" @100_Hertz said:

" @Symphony said:
So just ignore them like everyone else always has and don't make stupid threads that try to stir some sort of segregation pot.
PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By PillClinton
@Branthog: The reasons why people choose to subscribe or not are none of my business.  It's the principal that paying subscribers should be labeled in such a way that makes their monetary support visually apparent that bothers me.  It degrades the free and equal nature of an open forum. 
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#110  Edited By Animasta

great now navarro looks like he's choking on my medal, so I'm voting yes.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By PillClinton
@Symphony: so civil debate has led to common insulting?  oh well, such is the internet.  
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#112  Edited By Symphony
@100_Hertz: Don't kid yourself, this was never a civil debate. It was a doom and gloom poll with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. 
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Brians
@Branthog:  It means I am the egg man,  I am the walrus.
Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#114  Edited By Aaron_G

I paid for something. I should get something. If you want one, pay for something. It is that simple. 

DaManGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By DaManGB
I'm just waiting to see what Giantbomb gives us when they release the Platinum medal.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Branthog
@100_Hertz said:
" @Branthog: The reasons why people choose to subscribe or not are none of my business.  It's the principal that paying subscribers should be labeled in such a way that makes their monetary support visually apparent that bothers me.  It degrades the free and equal nature of an open forum.  "
My site had operational costs of about $25,000 to $30,000 per year and since I operated it advertising and fee-free, I eventually started to accept donations from members six years into into it. While I personally don't care for or need recognition, I can't fathom operating a site and not giving some public recognition to people who went out of their way to financially support us. Five or fifty bucks is such a nice gesture (to an admin, etc) and giving them a little visual "thank you" is such a trivial thing to do in return.

It doesn't degrade anything. Nobody seriously gives more or less weight to a contribution or comment, because there's a dumb icon on your profile that says "I'm a subscriber". Maybe people who don't subscribe shouldn't get all bent out of shape about it? If they start putting non-subscribers in some sort of internment camp, I'll definitely get behind your sentiment. And if they start putting subscribers in some sort of labor camp, I'll REALLY get behind you. but until then, I just don't really care. I tossed them a few bucks because I love the site and I'm in a place in my life at the moment where I can afford it. I'm just happy that I could help a tiny bit so that _everyone_ can get something out of it even if thy didn't contribute. 

However, I know that for many people who contributed, $50/yr is a SIGNIFICANT amount of money to part with. While I personally don't care about recognition or an icon or whatever for myself -- I definitely think those people should be recognized by the community in some small way (and I don't know what smaller, less obtrusive way there is than just sticking a little icon on their acocunt).

What really surprises me is the amount of nitpicking and navel-gazing going on here at Giant Bomb. I can't think of any other site where people woudl really give a shit. Some would subscribe. Some wouldn't. Nobody would give a fuck. We'd move on.
Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#117  Edited By Hector

No. I like it!

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By PillClinton
@LiquidPrince: I appreciate your succinctness, and your deliberately belittling quote very much amuses me. 
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#119  Edited By Brendan

I find it mindblowing that people care either way.  Class division?  What is this, the fucking French Revolution!?  The amount of trolls will not increase because of the medals, because anyone who would actually feel superior over a few pixels will be no different than the stupid trolls we get now.  Things will not change, except for an increase in complaining.  I could not care less if the medal stayed or went.  
Brandinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#120  Edited By Brandinator

My only gripe with it is that it looks a bit tacked on. I'm sure there was a better looking way to go about identifying paid members, but whatever, it's not that serious. I doubt it's really doing much with regards to dividing the community--and if it is, people will get over it eventually. If I could turn them off I would, but only for design reasons.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By LiquidPrince
@100_Hertz: I pride myself on being concise, and not bullshitting.
harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By harinosho
@Feanor said:
" I haven't seen any subs acting entitled, but that could change. "
scary idea, all sub members can access a special forum section....hmmm
Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#123  Edited By Psynapse

Seriously though, its a little picture underneath another little picture... who cares? Get on with your life?

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#124  Edited By LegalBagel

It's a little encouragement to get people to subscribe at all times.  And I'm perfectly fine with that. 

And Robo deserves his medal.  He went through the fucking end of the world to get this thing.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#125  Edited By Legend

But I wuv my wittle medal...

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#126  Edited By Hourai

I'd like to turn mine off if I subscribe. The logo part is a little too big. 

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By PeasantAbuse

They really don't affect my viewing of the forums, so let them be.
binhbui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By binhbui

Not really dividing the forum is it? Medals don't suddenly feel elite compared to non medals (see what I did there? ;) ) I like mine, like the t-shirt it's just one more way for me to express my love!

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By thebeast

Instilling a little bit of pride in those who choose to contribute has never hurt anyone.

Moody_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Moody_yeti
@LiquidS said:
" Makes me feel like an important man on the internet. "
This.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Symphony said:
" @100_Hertz said:
" @Symphony said:
And who's going to discriminate? Will you? I certainly won't. "
Of course you won't. You're not one of the elite. 

Anyone with one of those ugly things will think they're better than the others. Maybe not directly, but they will subconciously.

They need a medal for wiki contributors. God knows they're supporting the site.
Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#133  Edited By Soap

I say no, how else am I going to feel superior to most of you? By being a forum dick? I'd rather not have to :D

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#134  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

The medals are just a cool way of showing who has subscribed. There hasn't been any elitist "I subscribed and you didn't so I'm better" behaviour, and if there is, I won't stand for it and I'm sure none of the other mods will either. Supporting the site by subscribing is cool, and people want to show that they have done a cool thing, but that doesn't mean they have any right to take an elitist attitude, and if they do, they will find themselves in trouble. At the end of they day, everyone supports the site - whether they're contributing $5 a month, $50 a year, wiki edits, forum posts or even just page views, they are all vitally important members and no one will treat anybody any differently because they are/aren't paid members. I'll make sure of that.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Djeffers03

I just don't like how it covers up part of your avatar.

HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By HereAllDay

I voted 'yes' but I actually want there to be an option to get rid of them if you want, it seems like a split in the community on the medals and having a toggle would make both sides happy.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By schizogony

I get sick seeing them.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Jimbo

Should be a toggle.

xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#139  Edited By xshinobi

I like them. 

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#140  Edited By crusader8463
Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Jack268

Who cares? They're still just users.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#142  Edited By alistercat

I like the look of the medals, but if people are going to look down on others if they do or dont have a medal then it needs to change. I've already seen a bit of that, I don't wish to see more of it. I think I'd be happy if it just appeared on the profile page.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#143  Edited By Geno

They look cool, and I think subbers should get a little something special. It might also encourage some people to start posting in the forums, or to post more. I'm not subbed (none of the membership features really interest me at the moment), but I certainly don't mind seeing that others are. 

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@Blackmoore said:
" How about make a toggle? Whoever wants to show theirs, can do so. "
I wish I could toggle mine off. I hoped for a toggle since I heard about the medals.
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By RE_Player1

I can't wait until this blows over in 2 weeks. I got school on Monday and the least of my worries is fucking medals on a video game site... Ya I'm crabby because I got no sleep :p

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@Coombs said:
" What would it say when you moused over the Bronze? 

Non-Supporter  
No0b0rAmA    doesn't help keep this site going, They didn't sign up for a paid membership and can go suck an egg.  That just seems like a bad idea "
lawl do eet
Prolix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Prolix

Get rid of all the medals.  They are the main reason I wont subscribe.     I support the toggle idea.  Let us choose to display them.  As long as I have to, I wont. 

error5305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By error5305

I'm glad this got brought up.  I was about to write Sony a nasty email because of the plus logo for PSN Plus subscribers, it's breaking apart the community.
We might as well call up the Benz dealers and have them remove the ornaments from the car hoods, stop lights have become awkward. 

In a week no one is even going to notice these anymore.  chillax.

DeathBionics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By DeathBionics
@Blackmoore said:
" How about make a toggle? Whoever wants to show theirs, can do so. "
This. 

I've wanted that since before the medals were an announced "feature".
Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#150  Edited By Jost1

No I want my bling that I paid for :)