• 52 results
Strongschwartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Strongschwartz

I just wrote a blog a few hours ago but something came to my attention a couple of minutes ago, I not only wanted to share with you but also hear your opinion about. I was driving around in Mercenaries 2 and shooting billboards usually rewards you with 5 K. So I took out my rocket launcher blew it to hell and... nothing. I turned around to another billboard and what do I see: TRANSFORMERS. IN THEATERS NOW! (In German, eventhough my settings are in English, but I guess the add detects my IP). Not only do I get bothered with stupid ads in a game I PAID for, it also screws up the game by not rewarding me anymore. Don't know about you but I don't think it's cool, funny or anything else positiv. If I pay good money I expect not to be bothered with ads, I mean that Transformers crap is not even game related.

Strongschwartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Strongschwartz

I just wrote a blog a few hours ago but something came to my attention a couple of minutes ago, I not only wanted to share with you but also hear your opinion about. I was driving around in Mercenaries 2 and shooting billboards usually rewards you with 5 K. So I took out my rocket launcher blew it to hell and... nothing. I turned around to another billboard and what do I see: TRANSFORMERS. IN THEATERS NOW! (In German, eventhough my settings are in English, but I guess the add detects my IP). Not only do I get bothered with stupid ads in a game I PAID for, it also screws up the game by not rewarding me anymore. Don't know about you but I don't think it's cool, funny or anything else positiv. If I pay good money I expect not to be bothered with ads, I mean that Transformers crap is not even game related.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ahriman22

Allot of games have adds nowadays, you just get to tune them out. Think the millions of adds in Burnout Paradise bother me? Or in Prototype?

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By FrankCanada97

Did anyone catch the Barack Obama Campaign ads in Burnout Paradise?

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By Suicrat

If you think your 50 dollars, multiplied by a few hundred thousand customers, divided amongst like 5 or 6 groups, is enough to cover the cost of a multi-million dollar endeavour, then you have very little knowledge of mathematics.

Why does the advertisement need to be game-related? If it blends in with the game world then it's a wasted investment on the advertiser's part, it needs to stand out to get attention, and it needs to get attention to be worth the investment.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By iam3green

i think that games with adds need to be cheaper. i play games to tune out reality after a day of work and school. adds that are suppose to be in the game are good, like ones on gta that make fun of other ads or are fake one. those are fine but it's just the real ones i don't like.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Suicrat

That's kind of an unrealistic attitude. Video games may in fact be a value to us because they are fun ways to temporarily escape reality, but their production is still based in reality, and the people who make them still need to feed themselves and their families. How do they do this? With the games they make. And if the consumers can't pay enough for them to do so, then they need to seek alternative avenues. And if companies are willing to do this and their only condition is a rectangular image of their choice in specific parts of your game then, can you really blame them for taking it?

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Wolverine

It depends. If adds are put into games and the price of games are lowered then I don't mind them but it bothers me  a great deal when there are adds in a $60 game.

Strongschwartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Strongschwartz
@Suicrat: Guess you mean economics ;) but seriously developers need to cover up the costs. No problem. I can see that. But isn't that the reason why we pay 60$ (in Australia and Europe it's 100$) for a copy?! Putting ads in is simply greed by the developers or a try to compensate losses because they realeased a buggy game nobody bought. GTA, Bioshock and Dead Space don't have ads and I don't think the guys at Rockstar, K2 and EA are starving. (I mean I don't mind ads in Racing games because it's authentic, but Transformers commercial in the Jungle of Venezuela is just dumb.)
kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By kashif1

it depends on the game, i didn't mind it iin paradise becausse it got us free dlc plus some cheep paid dlc.  i just hate how they dont let you desroy them, what is wrong with destroying adds?

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Suicrat
@Strongschwartz:

Okay, first off, you need to get rid of your current conception of greed. A conception of greed that can be stretched to the point of demanding that producers (of anything) relinquish control of their property or sell a product for a cent less than what they choose is simply hypocritical, and totally impractical. (After all, I could call your desire for ad-free video games, or a better working wage, or more video games for less money "greedy" and we'd be back to square 1).

Secondly, 2K (Rockstar is owned by 2K, so I'm going to forget about that) and EA can afford to put fake ads and omit ads in some games, because the cost of their entire operation is partially subsidized by the revenue generated by advertising in those particular games. So the notion that "EA isn't starving so they don't need ads in this game" is completely silly.

And while minds like yours might react to a Transformers ad in the jungles of Venezuela in a specific way, the minds the advertisers are targeting don't even perceive that they're being 'targeted'. Much like how the part of your mind that loves Giant Bomb doesn't seem to mind that there are two Transformers ads embedded into the content of this website.

The way I look at it, people and groups who make items I enjoy thoroughly should take whatever creative liberties they choose to propagate their product, and to recover the costs of producing it. However, if those liberties extend to the point of making the product tangibly worse, then I will stop purchasing it.

The notions that publishers are greedy for putting ads in their game is patently ludicrous, because by that logic they are greedy for selling it in exchange for legal tender, and you are greedy for wanting to play it.

Also, one more thing I just noticed, your silly offhand comment conflating 'reality' and 'economics'. In reality, PEOPLE go into INDUSTRIES to SUSTAIN their livelihood in ECONOMIES based on DIVISION OF LABOUR. In other economic formats, there would be no opportunity to sustain one's life by coding, or making three-dimensional art, because we'd all be trying to SUSTAIN our lives by HUNTING and GATHERING food. Your notion of the relationship of economics and greed would diminish all reason to invest effort putting punchcards in loom machines, which is the groundwork for computers, which are the groundwork for video games. Hell, your notion of the relationship between economics and greed would diminish all reason to develop something called a loom in the first place!

While I understand the visceral reaction of 'why is that ad in this gameworld', the notion that it is in game companies' best interests to cease this practice is demanding the self-imposed death of the video game industry. Because like it or not, marketing money drives this industry.
Strongschwartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Strongschwartz
@Suicrat:" After all, I could call your desire for ad-free video games "greedy"." You could. It wouldn't make any sense to me, but you could. Furthermore I want to thank you for teaching me new words. I study English and might sure find them useful, but the fact that you called me silly is not very polite. Is it so much to ask that we all live in a peaceful world where all religions and races are holding hands and play ad-free games? Well, maybe it's a little bit silly..... ;)
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Suicrat
@Strongschwartz:
First of all, I didn't call you silly. If you are, good on ya. I like silly people. I called your arguments silly. I don't like silly arguments, they help promote bad ideas (and somewhat good ideas too, as in this case).

I would say a greed that demands the goods produced by someone conform to the standards other than that of the producer is a far more vicious and destructive greed than that which drives publishers to put advertisements in their games.

Would I want to see real life ads in my favourite game series? (Metroid, Half-Life, Mario, et cetera) my gut reaction would say no. But if you told me, after playing Pikmin 1 that Pikmin 2 had ads in it, I would have said 'that's a terrible idea', but then Nintendo implemented them in a really ingenious way that also was an interesting commentary on the highly disposeable nature of our current cultures and economies.

As I said in my previous reply, I can sympathize with your gut reaction of 'why is there an eyesore of an ad for a movie I don't want to watch in this game I like?' But that gut reaction ignores the demands placed on publishers, and the reason for their response.

And if these sorts of in-game ads don't add much to the companies who employ them financially (as asserted by Jeff in the most recent bombcast), and they have the effect of colouring the user experience of the software negatively, as they seem to be in this and a few other cases, then it's incumbent on the publisher to re-evaluate this state of affairs.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Azteck

Personally, I wouldn't mind in game billboards and radio commercials and whatnot if it meant a lower cost for games. I've never really been bothered with that crap before, but that's all dependent on the extent of the advertisement.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By delta_ass

You know that ads only have one "d" right? Cause they're short for advertisements, which only have one "d." So they aren't "adds."

"Adds" are an MMO term for additional enemies.

spiredcrescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By spiredcrescent

Ads haven't gotten to the point where they bother me.  I usually get a slight smirk on my face thinking "Hey i know what that is haha."  I guess for me if the setting is right ads are ok.  Like if im in an open world or urban based evironment such as prototype or rainbow six vegas.  However if im in the crusades era in assasins creed or in some monster's stomach on gears, i would have a problem with it.

Strongschwartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Strongschwartz
@Delta_Ass: Sorry, I'm just a dumb foreigner and don't know any better. ;) Everything should be corrected now.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Al3xand3r
@Suicrat said:
" If you think your 50 dollars, multiplied by a few hundred thousand customers, divided amongst like 5 or 6 groups, is enough to cover the cost of a multi-million dollar endeavour, then you have very little knowledge of mathematics"
Eh, usually it is enough, hence why not many games use such advertising schemes, and why it's only become prominent in the last few years after publishers actively hunted down opportunities for extra revenue.
Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

The ones in Rainbow Six Vegas are terrible and stand out like a sore thumb. What's worse is that the game updated and nothing else was added but ads...

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Suicrat
@Al3xand3r: Far from every game made breaks even. EA funds its critical-darling projects with revenue generated from both sales and ads in their biggest games. If this weren't the case, developers would have an easier time self-publishing.
Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Illmatic

I'm all for them but i'm disappointed in the direction they have gone in regards to their results. I always thought ads in games would result in cheaper games, but instead we get ads in games at the same price as games without them. Granted, you could argue that without ads the games with them might not have had the money to be made but its just not the route I was expecting and definitely not the route developers who advocated the strategy talked up.

Strongschwartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Strongschwartz
@Suicrat: "It's a sign of great intelligence to explain the most complicated things in simple words". Just a nice quote for you. Nothing personal ;)
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Suicrat

I don't think I possess great intelligence, but I do possess a large vocabulary; and so I employ that vocabulary to get my point across.

Out of the words I used, which did you not understand? Do you have Firefox? If so, all you have to do is highlight any word you don't understand, change your search bar to dictionary.com (or another dictionary for which you can add the search feature), and right-click on the highlighted word. It'll bring up an option to search for that word in dictionary.com's database.

In all honesty, it is the primary source of my lexical arsenal ;)

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FrankCanada97

"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good."

Log

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Log

I dont like that they are getting so invasive but i guess we dont really have much of a say.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Xeiphyer

Nobody likes seeing ads in games, but its a necessary evil I suppose, like giantbomb, nobody wants ads, but if it keeps giantbomb running then they are good.

Ads themselves are annoying, but because of them we get better things. That being said, I hate when they shove them down our throats like purposely putting game objectives around ads like a burger king. Or in need for speed pro street, where its impossible to be driving without seeing some sort of ad on the screen somewhere, it may be more realistic. But we dont play games because they are realistic, if we did, the only game we would play would be a life like game where you play a character looking exactly like yourself, in your room, playing a game thats actually interesting.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By vidiot
No. /thread
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By Gunner

as long as it keeps the game developers working on new and better games, im fine with it.

also, more ads might mean a price drop, and a price drop will lead to more games that you can buy, the more games you can buy, the better the sales are and rhe more money the developers get to make more and better games...

can you tell that im not an economist? :P

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By DrRandle

I don't mind them where they fit. If Elder Scrolls pops up a bilboard for Burger King's new burger, then yeah I'd be pissed. Do I mind ads in burnout? Nah, not really... Although these latest Netflix ad's are kind of aggrivating. I keep looking for Burnout posters and seeing those because they're both bright red.

Bob_Toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bob_Toeback

I like ads in agmes, kind of. In Splinter Cell and Rainbow Six in the books you have a car comercial with the character using it game related (hiding behind, jumping over) then they advertise Ubisoft all over, and I believe there were some movie posters. I think its awesomly funny. and dont really take them seriously. maybe just because those games are kinda funny anyways (SC anyways :P) but I dont see a problem. I guess if it messes up actual gameplay tho its not too good.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kashif1
@Suicrat: ill except most of you points but explain to me why the are not destructible, it really annoying to go on a destructive spree and find a billboard that refuses to get destroyed
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jeffgoldblum

I think done right it can even add to the experience. Take Burnout Paradise for example.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Suicrat
@kashif1: Because what is the point of paying to put a visible object in a game if that visible object can be destroyed?

Billboard advertisement sales would go down significantly if people started taking rocket launchers or automobiles to them.
Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I don't see ads as a problem at all.  Anything that makes the publisher/developer money is good with me, as it might benefit the next game they release. With that being said,  I would prefer it to be part of the landscape and not sticking out like a sore thumb.  Do you get upset when you play Forza or GTA?  Those cars are all real makes & models, which is basically the same as ads.  What about when you buy a DVD and see product placement all over the screen, does that bother you? After all you've only wanted to watch a movie, not be bothered with an advertisement.  

If it's in my face 24/7 then I might be upset with it, but I've yet to see any ad that blatant.  Until then I will continue to not care.
Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By pirate_republic

I hate games with ads in them -- or rather games that you pay for, having ads. If it's free-to-play, then fine, but if I shell out 60$ there's no way in fuck there should be ads. It distracts from the game, as ads from our world lose their context in the game world.

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sabata

I'm all for it. But I have to question the effectiveness of such ads. I mean, how many of you went out and bought any more Pepsi than usual after play Bionic Commando? I know I didn't. 

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Osaladin

Ads in video games don't really bother me, as long as they keep it as a billboard or sign and not force me to watch something to experience the full game. How much harm can come from you looking at a picture of something in the real world? None, that's how much.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By CL60

I don't really care. I don't see why anybody would care.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CowMuffins

Blame pirates. With games not selling retail copies, they have to turn to other forms of gaining money. This wouldn't be the case with the 360 version, but I don't think the game sold very well, so maybe that's how they're returning their investments.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By c1337us

Adverts no, I dont think they have any business being around. I can handle some product placement if it blends. Check out CSI: Hard Evidence for a game that has product placement that doesnt blend. Awful.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40  Edited By jonnyboy

I hate them. But offering advertising in virtual worlds is free money for developers. That being said,

here is an open message for US marketing departments: Please do not forget that the rest of the world is constantly being bombarded by advertisements for products WE CAN'T BUY!  TV shows WE CAN'T WATCH! and presidential candidates WE CAN'T VOTE FOR! Dickheads!

Sorry, had to get it out my system. Better now.

Strongschwartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Strongschwartz
@kashif1:  That was a little missunderstanding. They still can be destroyed, but I didn't get the 5 K reward anymore.
LocoRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By LocoRocker

I don't mind the ads in my games as long my experience is not affected by them in any negative way like interrupting the action to make me watch something product-related or not fitting into the general vibe of the game (modern ads in a fantasy world, real-life ads in a GTA game).

If implemented well into the environment ads can actually increase the feeling of immersion. This is something game developers should consider devoting more time to.

I am more worried about the future of the advertisement usage in games. Sure, at the moment it might be limited to billboards and posters but I wouldn't want the trend to evolve much further from there.

Currently I am annoyed by the IP-based language settings of the ads which were also mentioned by Strongschwartz. Although I fully understand the reasons behind the technology it still brings me out of the game every time I see an ad in a language other than english based on my locaion.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#43  Edited By RHCPfan24

I don't think it was the ads that messed up the game for you. That game is just jacked, normally.

Besides, ads, as long as they are integrated tastefully, are fine with me. I don't mind the Splinter Cell and Burnout Paradise approach. However, I find the Guitar Hero method egregious. That is not needed and I don't want an "AXE ax". That is where I draw the line.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By The_A_Drain

I don't like the practice, but arguing that they should reduce the price of the game is simply not going to work out mathematically, while I agree that if a project is going to be funded through advertising then it should damned well be free, however subsidising some of the costs of your project with advertising is another matter entirely. So you have to view a few ads every now and then so what? Just don't pay attention to them.

As for not being destructable, that's a bit of a cheap shot tbh, but that was obviously a decision made by the developer or advertiser in order to keep the deal.

As Suicrat said though, 60 bucks doesn't pay for multi-million dollar projects unless the game sells a fuckton. Of each full price 60 dollar disc, the developer sees somewhere between 25 and 32 dollars of that money (much less as the game drops in value, because while the other percentages stay the same, 10% distributor, 10% store etc, the console manufacturer still takea a feee of 8 dollars per disc produced for their console)

So even at full price of 60 bucks, and assuming a 30 dollar intake from that, you need to sell 33,333 copies for each million the project costs you. And games nowadays can run into the tens of millions mark. And when you consider that the objective is to make a healthy profit, it's no wonder people are trying to rake in more cash.

Advertising also helps pay for running costs after a games release, such as th production of DLC, upkeep of servers, websites etc.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#45  Edited By Vinchenzo

I think real ads are fine if they balance it. Games like Burnout Paradise provided a ton of free content, so I don't mind if they throw ads at me. A game like 1 vs 100 I could care less about ads when I can actually win real stuff. To reiterate: if they balance it with free content, I'm all for it.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#46  Edited By gingertastic_10

I liked the ads in Bionic Commando. They were random.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Vinchenzo said:
" I think real ads are fine if they balance it. Games like Burnout Paradise provided a ton of free content, so I don't mind if they throw ads at me. A game like 1 vs 100 I could care less about ads when I can actually win real stuff. To reiterate: if they balance it with free content, I'm all for it. "
Is that coming to the UK? Sounds like something you'd need to play for a long time to win anything too.
LocoRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By LocoRocker
@The_A_Drain said:
" @Vinchenzo said:
" I think real ads are fine if they balance it. Games like Burnout Paradise provided a ton of free content, so I don't mind if they throw ads at me. A game like 1 vs 100 I could care less about ads when I can actually win real stuff. To reiterate: if they balance it with free content, I'm all for it. "
Is that coming to the UK? Sounds like something you'd need to play for a long time to win anything too.
"
Don't count on it any time soon, they will probably take their time testing it out in the US before porting it to Europe. Looks quite promising though.
Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Alex_Murphy
@ahriman22 said:
" Allot of games have adds nowadays, you just get to tune them out. Think the millions of adds in Burnout Paradise bother me? Or in Prototype? "
Prototype has adds? Well, guess I'm not getting that game.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

When placed appropriately.  But if there is an ad, it has to fit the level of detail as the rest of a city.  And if there's an ad for axe, there probabyl should be some more ads as well.

PGR 4 has tons and tons of ads.  The game really is a walking advertisement of sorts.  Every track has tons of stuff on the sides for McDonalds, Powerade, you name it.  The cars themselves are ads too essentially.  That beign said, it makes it all look natural and nothing sticks out.  I frankly found the sony ericson in splinter cell double agent to be more invasive as it was the only real world product you come in contact with and they like to put it in your face bluntly (its on the menus)

The thing is, while ads in PGR or whatever is fine, I don't want to see an ad in Halo.