The Community Spotlight - 12/21/2012 (GOTY Edition)

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
 The Giant Bomb Squad Can Take Any Robot You Throw at Them!
Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight! Well the year is coming to an end as the staff take their two week break from the site, but as their end of the year gift they are selling a limited supply of discounted premium memberships. The other major news is related to the Giant Bomb moderation team, and if you haven't heard Chaser324 and Sparky_Buzzsaw are the latest members of the mod team! Did you miss the Unarchived LiveStream on Friday? Don't sweat it, it's on Twitch for you to watch right here. Finally Merry Christmas to those celebrating it this week: 

Community Events & Game Nights 

• Giant Bomb's 2012 Moment of the Year Community Poll - Vote for Your Favorite Moment of the Year Over Here!
  • Giant Bomb Community 2012 Game of the Year Voting - Help Determine the Community's GOTY By Heading Over Here!
  • The Official Game/Code/Credit/Key Giveaway Thread! - Get Into the Spirit of Christmas and Give Away Free Codes to Fellow Users Over Here!
  • Gerstmas 2013 - Join the Giant Bomb Community Game Giveaway Over Here!

Wonderful Wikis GOTY Edition

This list of games is just the tip of the iceberg of all the notable games on user created Game of the Year lists with impressive wiki pages. If you have the time check them all out especially if you haven't played some of these games. 

Best of Blogs 

We have an unbelievable number of blogs this week, however the highlight this week handily comes from Fobwashed who has created a browser game where you can fight boss versions of the staff as Mega Man. Joining him in the game creation front are nintendoeats and Chavtheworld and you can check out their respective games as well. Marino gives you another snapshot of his adventures in EverQuest, and Mento provides another entertaining MS Paint webcomic for you this week. warsnake was a weapon designer for Far Cry 3 and shares which weapons he designed personally on his blog. BisonHero finally got his hands on Deus Ex: Human Revolution and discusses how it could have been a better experience. aurahack shares a blog listing the best albums of the year and Pepsiman explains why Neon Genesis Evangelion is more than just a bad game after livestreaming it. Video_Game_King had Galerians and Sonic Pinball Party as the targets for his weekly blog, and wumbo3000 decided to examine the entire Ace Attorney franchise with his blog. Finally we have Game of the Year blogs...so so many game of the year blogs that it damn near killed me this week.......

Fantastic Forums 

As already mentioned there is new blood in the Giant Bomb moderation team. If you haven't already done so wish Chaser324 and Sparky_Buzzsaw the best in their welcome thread. If you find any good deals for the Steam Winter Sale post them on the Steam Sale discussion thread. Also post pictures of your pets if you have any and discuss if you'll still find the videos of Giant Bomb funny thirty years from now. 

Lovable Lists 

We have a myriad of Game of the Year lists which show the various taste and preferences of the community. Of all the game of the year lists do try to check out the eloquence of slowbird's list...it is nothing short of genius let's just say. Finally Mento has created his 2013 backlog list so if you are in the same boat as him get ideas for your own by checking out his. 

User Reviews 

User Created Podcasts 

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight! Well the year is coming to an end as the staff take their two week break from the site, but as their end of the year gift they are selling a limited supply of discounted premium memberships. The other major news is related to the Giant Bomb moderation team, and if you haven't heard Chaser324 and Sparky_Buzzsaw are the latest members of the mod team! Did you miss the Unarchived LiveStream on Friday? Don't sweat it, it's on Twitch for you to watch right here. Finally Merry Christmas to those celebrating it this week: 

Community Events & Game Nights 

• Giant Bomb's 2012 Moment of the Year Community Poll - Vote for Your Favorite Moment of the Year Over Here!
  • Giant Bomb Community 2012 Game of the Year Voting - Help Determine the Community's GOTY By Heading Over Here!
  • The Official Game/Code/Credit/Key Giveaway Thread! - Get Into the Spirit of Christmas and Give Away Free Codes to Fellow Users Over Here!
  • Gerstmas 2013 - Join the Giant Bomb Community Game Giveaway Over Here!

Wonderful Wikis GOTY Edition

This list of games is just the tip of the iceberg of all the notable games on user created Game of the Year lists with impressive wiki pages. If you have the time check them all out especially if you haven't played some of these games. 

Best of Blogs 

We have an unbelievable number of blogs this week, however the highlight this week handily comes from Fobwashed who has created a browser game where you can fight boss versions of the staff as Mega Man. Joining him in the game creation front are nintendoeats and Chavtheworld and you can check out their respective games as well. Marino gives you another snapshot of his adventures in EverQuest, and Mento provides another entertaining MS Paint webcomic for you this week. warsnake was a weapon designer for Far Cry 3 and shares which weapons he designed personally on his blog. BisonHero finally got his hands on Deus Ex: Human Revolution and discusses how it could have been a better experience. aurahack shares a blog listing the best albums of the year and Pepsiman explains why Neon Genesis Evangelion is more than just a bad game after livestreaming it. Video_Game_King had Galerians and Sonic Pinball Party as the targets for his weekly blog, and wumbo3000 decided to examine the entire Ace Attorney franchise with his blog. Finally we have Game of the Year blogs...so so many game of the year blogs that it damn near killed me this week.......

Fantastic Forums 

As already mentioned there is new blood in the Giant Bomb moderation team. If you haven't already done so wish Chaser324 and Sparky_Buzzsaw the best in their welcome thread. If you find any good deals for the Steam Winter Sale post them on the Steam Sale discussion thread. Also post pictures of your pets if you have any and discuss if you'll still find the videos of Giant Bomb funny thirty years from now. 

Lovable Lists 

We have a myriad of Game of the Year lists which show the various taste and preferences of the community. Of all the game of the year lists do try to check out the eloquence of slowbird's list...it is nothing short of genius let's just say. Finally Mento has created his 2013 backlog list so if you are in the same boat as him get ideas for your own by checking out his. 

User Reviews 

User Created Podcasts 

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By musubi

Ha....look at all of those faux GOTY lists we all know this is the real GOTY list. Just another example of the man keeping the truth from the masses.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

#3  Edited By wumbo3000

Hey, thanks for the spotlight! There sure are a lot of GOTY blogs and lists on this ish-dition of the spotlight. Expected, I suppose. Maybe I'll get crackin' on mine too...

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By DarthOrange

I actually like reading other users Game of the Year Blogs. They should put up a temporary Game of the Year forum where they can all be seen. Actually, why the hell isn't there just a blog section in the forum where everyone's new blog goes up?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

@DarthOrange said:

They should put up a temporary Game of the Year forum where they can all be seen.

I asked him about putting them all in the Game of the Year Edition board, but that didn't fly.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Hunter5024

The one time of year where lists actually get some love from Giantbomb users.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By GunstarRed

Oh, awesome. GOTY time is probably the only time I will ever get on one of these.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By shinboy630

I may be biased seeing as I was on the show, but I think the interview with Josh Foreman of ArenaNet was interesting even if you are not a fan of Guild Wars 2. He has worked for a few other companies (including THQ), and there is a good deal of insight there on how artists work in the industry as a whole, not just when it comes to GW2. Hope you guys give it a listen, and thanks for the spotlight

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Hizang

I don't get why people do GOTY so early, I mean they might play on between now and next year and they might have wanted to put it in there list.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Phatmac

Ha, my list got snubbed! I even made a video for my GOTY list. :P Anyway, the highlight is obviously Fobwashed's Mega Man game! :)

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By Bigheart711

Here's my GOTY list as well. I've been reading a lot of these community spotlights as of late and they were really entertaining. I hope to contribute in the future as well.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#13  Edited By pyromagnestir
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#15  Edited By pyromagnestir

@ZombiePie:

Cool. Thanks!

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By takashichea

Congrats and awesome job on the wiki pages, everyone!

For the next spotlight, I put down Sword Art Online by Dungbootle as a honor for a good anime series that ended last week.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Really cool to see everyone doing their GoTY thing. I'll just leave mine here for next week's one.

wunderkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By wunderkin

I just commandeered a membership and am getting my first glances at the community. Wow is there a lot of stuff here. Really excited to start exploring.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#19  Edited By Mento  Moderator

Even though this week's Spotlight isn't the GOTY Edition (though seeing as it's the last Spotlight of the year, it perhaps ought to be), I've finalized my GOTY top t(w)en(ty) list, composed my absurdly long Darksiders II of a GOTY awards blog and written this review for the short but sweet Crimson Shroud.

Also, while it's not my thread, another last minute shout out to ThatFrood's Community GOTY might be on the cards, seeing as that all gets dealt with on the 31st.

That's all my harping on at you for this year; have a good one, Zeeps.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By fobwashed

Thanks a bunch for the ups! =) I just recently got back from a vacation in a different country so I'm just now catching up on all the GB GotY and community stuff and it looks like everyone has been busy doing awesome stuff! I'm really happy so many duders have checked out that Mega Man thing and whenever I've got spare time or want to distract myself from my main project, I've been putting some effort into bringing Vinny into the fold~ If I ever get around to building it out even further from just boss stuff, you can be sure I'll get you and some others in somehow or some way!

Great list as usual. This and Patrick's worth reading are what I look forward to from the site on Fridays =)

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hizang
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

@Mento said:

Even though this week's Spotlight isn't the GOTY Edition (though seeing as it's the last Spotlight of the year, it perhaps ought to be)

Let's see if I can belt a Spotlight out for today.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By fattony12000

Well...my hottest, newest, hypest and lastest Fatbomb for 2012 will be dropping at 11:59 GMT on the 31st of December. SO TAKE THAT!

I did do this on the forums, however.

No Caption Provided
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

The latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight is up now!