Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Optiow
Claude said:
"I'm the biggest loser here. Hell, I'm 43, play games on three platforms and hang out on a website devoted to games.  At 9pm "east coast time" tonight, I have a tournament game for my Tiger Woods online league for the Wii, which is another website/forum I'm a member of."
which 3 platforms?
Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By MasturbatingBear
Optiow said:
"Claude said:
"I'm the biggest loser here. Hell, I'm 43, play games on three platforms and hang out on a website devoted to games.  At 9pm "east coast time" tonight, I have a tournament game for my Tiger Woods online league for the Wii, which is another website/forum I'm a member of."
which 3 platforms?"
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Video games are better than people anyway. This reminds me of a song that goes a little something like this...

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By Jayge_
Claude said:
And you're instantly venerated by thousands of teenagers as being awesome for that. Take heart in *something*, heh.

My school is an odd place. Everyone knows I game, and that I do it a lot. I don't hide it, but I don't overtly flout it either. Nobody ever has any inhibitions talking to me about games though. It kind of creeps me out. "Yo Ben! I was doin mad sick wit that nazi zombie shit last night man! You play that shit?" That's the kind of crap I'll randomly hear throughout the day. I find it hilarious. Even some girls (albeit ones who you are almost sure are butch lesbians) casually talk about games and shit sometimes.

Although yeah, I've encountered people who are like "you stupid nerd playing kids games what are you doing with your life?" I just ignore that shit. And if it's someone who I happen to have some dirt on (I deal in information. It's natural. I'm always listening.), I respond in kind. It's all about manipulating your environment. I think I learned it from my mother.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

A lot of people give me shit for liking the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games. One of their prime arguments is "Go play a real instrument." Yet when those stupid fucks go home, you can bet your ass they'll be playing Call of Duty, or whatever fucking game just happens to be the next big thing. To those people, I say this: "Go fight in a real war. God knows we need the troops more than ever over there."

This has probably been adressed before, but I'm not in the mood to sit here and read an entire thread, but your dad was probably just breaking your balls man. My dad says some pretty stupid shit sometimes too, but people their age just don't usually understand how much of a growing industry videogames are, and in turn rely on the stereotypes given to them in their youth.

Oh, and tell your sister there's no careers that involve talking on AIM for hours on end. It works. Trust me.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#56  Edited By RHCPfan24
Well, that sounds pretty bad I must say. I am not encouraged from my family to play video games, but they discourage it on the whole. For your situation though, maybe you should show how high your Gamerscore is. That is one of the largest on the site, and pretty impressive. Or that could just lead into another discussion about how much time you waste (which you don't). I am sorry to hear it; gamers have evolved much from that ancient stereotype. It is unfortunately taking some people longer than others to figure it out.
Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By Discorsi

A DURP A DURP A DURP

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#58  Edited By RHCPfan24
Claude said:
Claude, come on, you are pretty cool. Especially since you are proof that you can be over 40 and still play video games. That is awesome. 
Also, after reading the comments on this page, thank you jakob for getting rid of that troll. He was just despicable.
ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

let just say i know i "guy" and for 100 dollars he will take care of your "Problem" no witness 

bigpig33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#60  Edited By bigpig33

ur dad is funny, from what i heard.  you should ignore them or maybe find some freinds to do real stuff with

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By RenegadeSaint

Just tell them they are welcome to their own opinions, but you see yourself succeeding in the field someday.  It's only a problem if you let their mocking get to you.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Absurd

You're going to college, Maybe she's a jealous bitch? I know my sister can be really mean sometimes.

zanzabar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By zanzabar

the main thing is in what they don't understand is that playing any game weather it be on pc or console is very good for the brain as you have to sort out puzzles and strategy calculations it keeps the brain active. but they seem to mock you for this which is not a very intellegent thing to do as they probably like alot of other people just sit there watching the idiotbox=tv  all day and think they are learning something. i wouldn't even entertain  talking about this as they don't understand that every year that goes by pc computing is getting to a stage where it will consume everyone and anyone as the future is unfolding in this way. explain this to them.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#64  Edited By Claude
Optiow said:
"Claude said:
which 3 platforms?"

PC, Xbox 360 and a Wii. I would like a PS3.

Jayge
said:
"Claude said:
And you're instantly venerated by thousands of teenagers as being awesome for that. Take heart in *something*, heh.

My school is an odd place. Everyone knows I game, and that I do it a lot. I don't hide it, but I don't overtly flout it either. Nobody ever has any inhibitions talking to me about games though. It kind of creeps me out. "Yo Ben! I was doin mad sick wit that nazi zombie shit last night man! You play that shit?" That's the kind of crap I'll randomly hear throughout the day. I find it hilarious. Even some girls (albeit ones who you are almost sure are butch lesbians) casually talk about games and shit sometimes.

Although yeah, I've encountered people who are like "you stupid nerd playing kids games what are you doing with your life?" I just ignore that shit. And if it's someone who I happen to have some dirt on (I deal in information. It's natural. I'm always listening.), I respond in kind. It's all about manipulating your environment. I think I learned it from my mother."
I'm a winner.

RHCPfan24
said:
"Claude said:
Claude, come on, you are pretty cool. Especially since you are proof that you can be over 40 and still play video games. That is awesome. 
Also, after reading the comments on this page, thank you jakob for getting rid of that troll. He was just despicable.
"

Thanks, among my peers, I stand alone except my nephew. He's 22 and loves to game as much as I do, but won't join this site. Maybe he's the loser.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#65  Edited By Vinchenzo

I find it funny how some people are just assuming I have no friends.

smokeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By smokeH

ahh i know what oyu mean. Sucks how people are stereo typical about it.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By pause422

No offense meant to you specifically vinch, but wow, your family sounds fucking awful....I don't see my family all that much, a few times a month maybe, but for years I've made it pretty clear how everything is with video games, and everyone is very accepting of it and understands exactly what I mean, so thats not a problem at all. When people still in this day and age, think that gamers are just retarded morons with no lives that will never amount to anything they have some serious comprehension and even common sense clarity problems. Honestly, thats shit that you expect years ago, but still today its just ridiculous.

SirPhobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By SirPhobos

Well, to me your problem seems to be more a family issue than a game issue.  Granted, all I know about you relates to what you just described, but my guess is they'd so the same thing no matter what you enjoyed doing.  You enjoy games, so they mock them.  But like I said, I don't know you or your family.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Gizmo

I know exactly how you feel, and I honestly hope you succeed in the video-game industry, Vinchenz.
This reminds me of this video-clip, it may seem weird out of context, but this clip was one of the most emotional scenes in any media I have ever seen.

Extremely mild LOST spoiler I guess?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#70  Edited By Snail

I'm sick of it too. What must be done indeed?

LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#71  Edited By LightYagami245

Your family sounds like the epitome of Casual gamers. They don't know about the gaming process and think that stereotype is true for anyone who play good games.

Shinryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Shinryu

A killing spree is in order!!!.....just kidding. Your family sucks, but when you make your money you'll be laughing last.

Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Shazam

Fantastic post, it really summed up the oft repeated assertion that being a gamer is something to be ashamed of. I've grown up with four older brothers who are gamers also and games have just been a natural part of family life. It must be very hard for you. Best thing to do is tell your sister to shut the fuck up and tell your dad to grow up.

jonb1 said:

"MasturbatingBear said:
"jonb1 said:
"jakob187 said:
"jonb1 said:
"Playing games all day is cool if you are sick.....but when your own father is making fun of you....lmfao"
.........and yet people make a living playing games all day.  The "Giant Bomb" logo in the top left hand corner of every page should be proof enough of that.

Also, you apparently don't like gamer culture and/or gaming as a whole given your statements.  SO....

The doors out of our forums >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>gtfo

"
Please, have you seen the living conditions of the people that run this site? lmfao. After Jeff got canned from GS, he aint makin no kind of money. Are you telling me you want to grow up to be like Jeff G? God, set the bar low, huh?

And you act like this is a forum full of future gaming developers LMFAO. Thats so far from reality and you know it. Most of the kids here are fat 15 year old sucking the dorito stains off of thier analog sticks. Get real."
If you hate Jeff so much why come to the site? Also you do realize you are 15 years old right? Jeff got fired, what does that have to do with how much money he makes? He clearly had enough to not work for months and have the resources to make a whole new office to make an entirely new site. While still spending hella money on games. So id say he does slightly better than your mom does on the street corners."
I dont dislike Jeff. Well, he ulled some shoddy stuff back in the GS lithium days...but all is forgiven. And what do forums have to do with Jeff anyway? Im 27. YOu lose you job, you lose your income...commen sense. You think he makes as much money here...as he did at GS? LMFAOLMFAO. Good mom comeback. HAHA:D It was truly e-original."

Well you may think most gamers are losers, but at least we can all spell. Have you ever heard of an apostrophe? Your punctuation is terrible, your points worse and I think you may be about as mature as a disabled banana. You say that nobody has a chance of getting into the game industry but have you even re-read your own comments? You have slim chances of making it anywhere pal so enjoy sweeping the streets.
eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By eric_buck

I feel the same way. EXACTLY. My sister/parents do the same thing and I often have almost the same argument with my own sister. My family doesn't do it quite as bad as yours but it still happens.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#75  Edited By vidiot
Vinchenzo said:
"Today I had a pretty big fight with my sister. I was busy posting a thread on a different website, she was annoying me to get off so she could use it for a few minutes. It moved onto the whole, "That's all you sit there and do all day." Which lead to me swearing at her (trust me, she's a bitch) and then going to my room where the verbal fight ensued. I declare that at least I'm going to college and she responds with telling me that games are not a real career. It seems like a pretty weak argument, but a majority of it was cussing.

Now this isn't the first time I've had this happen. Often times my Dad mocks me, as well as my sister, for playing video games all day. My sister insists I'll find a virtual girlfriend, and my Dad imitates himself typing on a keyboard and acting mentally retarded. Of course my Dad also does this sometimes at family events (e.g. Christmas, Thanksgiving) so now I rarely even visit any family other than my immediate one.

It's a sad thing to be mocked by anyone, no less your family. I'm sick and tired of people thinking gamers are idiots, unintelligent, fat, nerds, and so on. Despite the spreading popularity of the medium, people insist on putting it down if they don't understand it. What needs to be done?"
Be a man and say everything you just typed here to your father.

If that doesn't work: Punch your father in his fucking face.
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Godwind

They are trying to start a flame bait.  Based on my prejudice observations, you guys are Italians and Italians love to argue.  Either that, or their lives are so boring that they use you for their entertainment purposes.  Life is boring without suffering.  You are the chosen target to suffer and are the monkey for their comical pleasure.

This isn't a revolutionary Vinny.  This happens with all sorts of things outside of video games.  All politicians being stupid.  Liberals are strictly from the north,  conservatives are strictly from the south and Swing states are full of indecisive pricks.  Software programmers are lifeless fat sweaty monkeys using computers.  The word engineer is what the average person describes as the pilot of a train, not the master designers of the modern civilization.  People who become wealthy in businesses are considered smart.  If they are so smart, why couldn't they figure out that people wouldn't be able to afford to buy a new house as the prices increase by 10% every year?

As for your issue Vinny, I assume you still live with your family based on the observed note, you still share a computer with your sister.  The best solution is be nice and do favors for them.  Have them make a list of groceries to shop for and do the shopping.   Clean their rooms for them.  Also, keep in mind that while you are doing these tasks, you aren't playing video games.  When your sister starts bitching about how you play too many video games, you just say "Right, I am cleaning your room while I play video games.  What were you doing during that time?"  Not only disproves their bullshit theory that one play video games "all day", but implies that they are too lazy to clean their own room.  Also, since they are getting some free labor out of you, you don't go about mocking someone who is doing work for you.  if someone is offering you a free car, you don't say "Go fuck yourself dweeb".  People who do not appreciate things like that are vein people.

xXwindoverXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By xXwindoverXx

Just forget about them. You're going to college and they're ignorant people.
mrariscottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By mrariscottle

I'm hoping to get into the game industry, and my family and friends support me... So nothing needs to be done for me.  

Also, maybe you should play less games? Get another hobbie as well, like a sport or something.