• 75 results
McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By McPaper

Im interested in finding out which games scared or still scare Giantbomb users. I've played through both the Silent Hill and Resident Evil series and consider them to be great games though they never really scared me to the extent that Doom 3 and Penumbra have.

Doom 3 I know is pretty much full of cheap shocks which are predictable to many, however it was just a game which its horror clicked perfectly with me. My constant guessing of upcoming shocks was always ill-timed leaving me in a constant state of paranoia when playing.

Penumbra Black Plague
Penumbra Black Plague
I personally consider Penumbra to be the scariest video game series to date. Its fear lies in both atmosphere and eventful moments. Its quite unknown so I'll just cover that the emphasis is on escaping and puzzle solving. All the monsters in the game can kill you pretty easily, so you have to run away from them or try and trap them. Not to mention the game takes place 90% underground with a flashlight. If you are a fan of horror games I definately reccomend it (I think you can get it really cheap on steam at the moment)
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Symphony

I tend to get startled easily, but I wouldn't really call that scared. For example, loud shrieks will make me jump but then I'll shrug it off and move on. Being scared, to me, is having a lingering sense of foreboding.. you know, like things that will come back to haunt you in your nightmares. I could list tons of games that startled me -- the Resident Evils, Dead Space, heck, even Gears of War.

But I think the game that left me with lingering thoughts of dread would have been the original Silent Hill... I was young and it was a new style of game for me at the time. Sure I had played Resident Evil, but RE was moer of a "scaring through shock" type of game that started me rather than left me with lingering goosebumps and nightmares. Silent Hill's horror aspect came from the dark corridors, the creepy radio noise and never really knowing what to expect. There were definite nail-biter parts for me that I was afraid of playing through.

The unfortunate side-effect of that was I quickly became desensitized to that sort of horror and I no longer feel the same impact from similar games, such as subsequent Silent Hills or Fatal Frames. I still get a kick out of playing those kinds of games from time to time, but I don't experience the same level of the fear of the unknown that I did with that first Silent Hill.

McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By McPaper
"  I still get a kick out of playing those kinds of games from time to time, but I don't experience the same level of the fear of the unknown that I did with that first Silent Hill. "
Well this is most likely due to age, fortunately I played my first SH and RE game when I was a teen. I would always watch my friends play it and always said 'no' when they offered me a go. Coincidentally im bidding for a Fatal Frame 2, even if it doesnt scare it should at least be interesting the same way SH2 was.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Azteck

Oh man, where do I start. I get scared by so many games, as soon as I'm alone and it's dark in the game, I get all paranoid and scared.

Take Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow for example, I couldn't get further than 3 missions before panic took over and I had to stop.

I do believe my fear of games is getting better though.. at least I hope so. D:

(Please don't call me a pussy, I'm well aware that I'm overly sensitive to stuff already)

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By flaminghobo

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, I'm re playing it now.. and it's still gives me the heebie jeebies.

LightFantastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LightFantastic

Whaaa? Splinter Cell scared you? Well, admittedly the musical score was pretty intense, and some of those situations are very difficult; I find that in Splinter Cell it's easy to think you are in more danger than you really are- it's not that hard to take a direct approach to dispatching with your enemies, and disappearing, unless you alert EVERYONE to your presence.

The only game that has really scared me so far (that I've played) has been Penumbra: Black Plague. That game was a serious mindfuck. Definitely some high-quality indie horror there.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael

Project Zero II(otherwise known as Fatal Frame II) scared the living crap out of me. I never even finished it, and whenever I think about it I'm like "Nah, I'll finish it some other time... yeah, I'm gonna keep telling myself that".

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Symphony
@Azteck said:
" Take Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow for example, I couldn't get further than 3 missions before panic took over and I had to stop.I do believe my fear of games is getting better though.. at least I hope so. D: "
I also find myself needing to take breaks during games that startle me. For example, I could only do one chapter of Dead Space at the time because it feels like there's this heavy apprehensive weight  pushing down on my shoulders as I play those sorts of games, waiting for the next thing to jump out at me from around a corner, or the next corpse to spring to life. I can't say I'd break into a panic, but I can only take so much of that feeling of being bogged down by a burden of anxiety before I need to take a break and relax.

@McPaper said:
"Coincidentally im bidding for a Fatal Frame 2, even if it doesnt scare it should at least be interesting the same way SH2 was. "
Aren't there like 4 Fatal Frames in the series now? I've only played the first, mind you, so I have no idea what the others are like.

MatthewMeadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By MatthewMeadows

When I was like 8 years old, I was so shit scared of Sephiroth, that I couldn''t bring myself to finish Final Fantasy 7.

Condemned 2 was pretty scary too.
LightFantastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LightFantastic
@Symphony said:
"
@Azteck said:
" Take Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow for example, I couldn't get further than 3 missions before panic took over and I had to stop.I do believe my fear of games is getting better though.. at least I hope so. D: "
I also find myself needing to take breaks during games that startle me. For example, I could only do one chapter of Dead Space at the time because it feels like there's this heavy apprehensive weight  pushing down on my shoulders as I play those sorts of games, waiting for the next thing to jump out at me from around a corner, or the next corpse to spring to life. I can't say I'd break into a panic, but I can only take so much of that feeling of being bogged down by a burden of anxiety before I need to take a break and relax.
Yea, but Dead Space is a semi-horror game :) Splinter Cell is a stealth action game where you are the predator.
cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cc23574

It's not a scary game but, this one time in Fallout 3, I was walking and then I turned and BAM there stood a motherfucking Deathclaw. As you can imagine I crapped in my pants with the power of the Greek gods.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By vidiot
@Icemael said:
" Project Zero II(otherwise known as Fatal Frame II) scared the living crap out of me. I never even finished it, and whenever I think about it I'm like "Nah, I'll finish it some other time... yeah, I'm gonna keep telling myself that". "
THIS.
C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By C0V3RT

The first time I was ever really afraid was on "Home Alone" for the SNES.  I have a fear of spiders to this day and one of the earlier "bosses" is a giant tarantula.  Whenever I would get to that part I would either turn the game off or hand off the controller to someone else and hide behind a chair (I was 6 at the time).

I was good until the GameCube Resident Evil remake came out.  First time a crimsion head popped up it startled the shit out of me.  Shortly there after, Eternal Darkness Sanitys Requim came out and the game just messed with my head.  I have vivid memories of the scene where a dead body in a bathtub of blood comes on screen making me jump.

Current generation, first game that made me jump was the first Condemned.  I felt like such a pussy - my girlfriend/now fiance was in the room and was at some part where I had to climb over a rope.  As you're climbing the rope a crazy hobo jumps on you and for the first time ever I let out a "Bahh!".  I get shit for it to this day.  I couldn't play that game in the dark and usually had to have the volume down - as each time I'd kick a can or box in the game I'd get on edge.  Dead Space had a few startling moments.   There is a vault in Fallout 3 (the number escapes me) where you start to see things in some purple filter which was really creepy.  I had to actually stop playing the game for the night about 1/4th the way through.

I guess in conclusion, the game that scared me the most was probably Condemned.

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dogbox

When I was a kid, three or four, the original DOOM scared the shit out of me. I played it at my cousin's house and it was terrifying. I had a nightmare once about the Pinky demons. Freaky stuff!

These days I would agree with C0V3RT, Condemned 1 and 2 both scared me plenty.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Carlos1408

Doom 3

trotchky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By trotchky

Silent Hill 2

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#17  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I can't play horror video games.  Just cannot do it.  Everything from the old school Alone in the Dark, Police Quest 4, and Phantasmagoria to more recent games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill.  I don't know what it is about video games, but I get way more freaked out playing them than, say, watching a horror movie.  I think it's the fact that I'm controlling the character directly - somehow, that just ends up frightening me more when I feel like the character I'm controlling is in actual danger.

Probably the freakiest moment in a game I've played start to finish would come from the afore-mentioned Police Quest 4.  Keep in mind, at the time, that was one of the most visually striking and realistic games I'd ever played.  SPOILERS - the specific scene I'm referring to is when the hero character wakes up in the theater with the dead body nearby, and then later, when searching through the psycho's home, you find the head on a plate in his fridge.  Just pretty damned intense and frightening for the time.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#18  Edited By ahoodedfigure
@C0V3RT: Yeah, Sanity's Requiem had some really interesting moments.  My favorite was when I paused it to go to the bathroom, and when I came back I saw this:

No Caption Provided

What a great game that was :)
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Symphony
@LightFantastic said:
" Yea, but Dead Space is a semi-horror game :) Splinter Cell is a stealth action game where you are the predator. "
Touche! Though I'm curious how does a game that places you in the role of predator give off a sense of panic?
upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By upwarDBound

I would have to say Condemned, Call of Cthulu and Fatal Frame II.  Some of the most startling scares I've ever experienced were from playing Fatal Frame II.  

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Systech

I thought playing Bioshock at night was the scariest thing that I ever played because it was so different from anything else, horror-wise.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By C0V3RT
@ahoodedfigure:
Sanity's Requim bridged the gap between game and reality like no other game has ever done.  Remember turning on the game and getting a message saying your memory card is corrupt and your game data was being erased?  Or the game getting quieter while dislaying a TV Volume overlay giving you the impression you were either sitting on your remote or somehow turning your volume down?  Or walking into a room only to find it filled with a crazy number of enemies?  Gee now I'm itching to pull it out of storage and revisit it.
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Shadow

Both Condemned games thoroughly jump-scared the shit out of me

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#24  Edited By ahoodedfigure
@C0V3RT:
Dude, do it!  Just be sure to let your sanity bar drop all the way down :)

What was funny was that the "volume" sanity trick actually looked just like my actual volume graphics overlay on my TV :)

I wish more games would mess with the fourth wall like that :)
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Video_Game_King

When I was a kid, Banjo Kazooie. Remember that mummy maze where the mummy would curse you when you entered? Guess who thought that the curse was real? Yes, this dumbass right here.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tmthomsen

Resident Evil 1 for the PSX scared the hell out of me when I was about 10-12 years old. The scariest game I've played in the recent years must've been Condemned 1.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By subject2change
@Symphony said:
"
@Azteck said:

@McPaper said:
"Coincidentally im bidding for a Fatal Frame 2, even if it doesnt scare it should at least be interesting the same way SH2 was. "
Aren't there like 4 Fatal Frames in the series now? I've only played the first, mind you, so I have no idea what the others are like. "

3 Fatal Frames in the US, 4 in Japan (last one was for Wii and scraped for US release). Fatal Frame 1 and 2 on XBOX and PS2 and Fatal Frame 3 only on PS2. All on my shelf waiting to be played lol.
Bob_Toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bob_Toeback

Doom 3 (couldnt play it for awhile when those creepy flying bat thing were around, but then I got over it)
Thief: Deadly Shadows (I havent played it for a very long time, dont think I'm going to beat it.. maybe not as bad now? but those tree things are crazy!! lol)
Original Doom (not really too much, but I remember turning around and seeing those black fire guys right behind me :P)
Return to Castle Wolfenstein(Co-op was crazy awesome, but not didnt like it the last time I played it. anyways once in the catacombes or w/e with the zombies, forget what exactly happened, but my brother was somewhere, and I thought I saw him, and I was like "Theres a guy right behind you!!" but I think they both turned out to be zombies and freaked me out :P)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silent Hill 2 DC. I played though it once (and got the suicide ending, thanks for that) and I can't bring myself to play through it again. It just scares and depresses the shit out of me.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Jeust
@atomic_dumpling said:
" Silent Hill 2 DC. I played though it once (and got the suicide ending, thanks for that) and I can't bring myself to play through it again. It just scares and depresses the shit out of me. "
I was really disturbed with that one. But i want to play it again.

OP-wise the games that scared me were Silent Hill 2 and Resident Evil 2. Dead Space scares me once or twice while i play it. 

Fatal Frame for me is just... boring. The ghosts are predictable, the only true scare for me comes from the sound department. It's soooo spocky.

Resident Evil 4 was also good for a scare. Especially when somebody crawled up to you unnoticed.
Canberra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Canberra

I can remember Bioshock scaring me it was a surprise because despite its slightly creepy atmosphere it never felt totally horror, until this one point while I was taking the photos for Sander Cohen there was a long set of steps going down in to ankle  deep water,and a bare flickering bulb.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Stang

The original Resident Evil. I was maybe 10 when that came out.....that dog jumping through the window scared me absolutely shitless. I will never forget it.

samsaturday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By samsaturday

Clive Barker's Undying was wonderfully scary through it's first half. I'll never forget being chased by howlers on the moors. And like many other people I love Eternal Darkness. Some of those sanity effects were creepy as hell!

samsaturday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#34  Edited By samsaturday
@C0V3RT: One of the scariest effects to me was those damn busts in the mansion that would turn their heads and watch you. I hated those things! And cockroaches on the screen. Blech!
skilzlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By skilzlost

iv had scary experiences in may games one what sticks out most was recently .. i was in fallout 3 messing around at a train station listerning to some tunes and just try to find some toot i haerd a ghoul screetch then run i turned around and couldnt see it anywhere .. gave up and carried on being in a mind of my own then turned back round after  a couple of seconds of listerning an dhumin to fallout radio.. and there it was right in my face staring at me and screeching it really made my stomoch jump outa my mouth..

the most scariest moments can come out of nowhere ..i always found being chased by something wierd and screetchy to be quite intense.. especialy with my graphics on ultra and surround sound.. doom 3 gave me the willys to begin with but i hardend up to that.. fear waas always a good jumper but i nver got as many jumps out of the 3rd one like i did the first..

the invisible monster in stalker was always pretty freaky too easpecialy at night with no one around ..

i find these moments to be the scaryist..bioshcock sientists always like to scare you .......... they like to stand there til you turn around and then they laugh a litle instide i swear..when you have craped yourself a lile.

as a kid i uset to hate being scared now i love it in games..

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

F.E.A.R I had to turn the volume off it was so bad... *happy thoughts*

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By C0V3RT
@samsaturday:
Eternal Darkness gets my vote for the best game that no one played.  Glad to find others that think highly of it.  I'd be interested to see how the insanity effects hold up today.
All this talk of it made me wish I had good enough equipment so I could record it and do an endurance run of sorts just to expose people to it.  I just checked amazon and prices are anywhere from $82 new to $20 used - wow.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CL60

Penumbra or the older Silent Hills.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By eclipsesis
@trotchky said:
"Silent Hill 2"

Yup same for me,
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By jakob187

D on Sega Saturn...the first time I played it...when I was a fucking kid.  Creepy shit.

Then, as I got older, The Suffering.  It wasn't scary, but it made me jump quite often.  Then again, when you live out in the middle of nowhere, dead silence, pitch black at 3 in the morning, and you've turned the brightness to the lowest level possible on your game to the point that the only light you can seem to get is the muzzle fire from your gun...
RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RandomHero666

The only game to ever frighten me was REmake.

The first time a Crimson Head ran at me.. i shat myself.
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By End_Boss

I don't play a lot of horror games, because for the most part I play games to relax, not get all tense and paranoid. However, the few that I've played have gotten me with a few jump scares... Bioshock and Dead Space come to mind.

EDIT: I've found a good way to deal with fear in games is to shout vulgar obscenities at the monsters when they appear... A favorite of mine is to inform the necromorphs in Dead Space that they ain't nothin' but a bitch anyways.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ShadowKiller
@Stang said:
" The original Resident Evil. I was maybe 10 when that came out.....that dog jumping through the window scared me absolutely shitless. I will never forget it. "
I was like 6 or 7 and one of my friend's brother was playing that and I nearly shit myself.
McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By McPaper
@skilzlost said:
" the invisible monster in stalker was always pretty freaky too easpecialy at night with no one around "
Ah yeah now I remember Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl was another game which scared the crap out of me...I recall I finished installing some big overhaul mods which put in cut monsters from the game. I hadn't found any of the new modded monsters until I was raiding one of the underground labratories. It was probably my 3rd run through the game so I felt I knew where every monster was... to my surprised the mod had placed the brand new monster (which happened to be an evil dwarf) at the foot of these pitch black stairs..so there I was sprinting down them unaware of the shock which awaited me..I ran all the way up with that thing chasing me because my AK jammed. Had a good laugh afterwards.
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TheMustacheHero

You can get Penumbra 1 and 2 on Steam right now for 5 bucks.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mordukai

When I think about it System Shock 2 was the only game that managed to truly scare me. 

trotchky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By trotchky
@SmugDarkLoser: lol
Shoraine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By Shoraine

Wow, if you think Splinter Cell is kind of a strange game to be scared of then you'll get a kick out of mine. When I played Super Mario 64 as a kid, the under water level with the sunken ship and the eel scared the shit out of me... and it still does lol
But for more current games, Bioshock definitely had its moments. The Sander Cohen level with the rooms full of posed corpse sculptures gave me the creeps. And I screamed for a few of the good jump scares ;)
Also, while Deadspace was a bit scary, I would describe it as more stressful than anything. The sound effects were so loud and abbrasive that after a run in with a few necromorphs, I was more relieved by the silence than the fact that the character was still alive.