• 92 results
MasterMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MasterMind

i my self think VIII is better and dont like VII at all. but thats just me i also think IV is better than both

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ryanwho

I think they're both kind of bullshit, looking back, but one had Triple Triad and the other didn't. So the winner is obvious.

MasterMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MasterMind
@ryanwho: what are ur thoughts on the junction system in VIII
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Turambar

The junction system felt overly complex, the need to "draw" spells was stupid for a lack of better words, Squall was inherently unlikable, and something about the art direction always felt off to me.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By RandomHero666

VII remains my favourite game of all time, most people say that because its their first FF experiance, its not mine.
Imo VIII is alongside XII as the worst FF games

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Slippy

VIII is better than VII in every single way. People see those Lego men in VII and start going blind with nostalgia.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ninjakiller

It was to many their first ff, and to many their first jrpg.  it holds a special place because of this. 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrKlorox

Because 8 was the end of Fantasy styled FF games and brought everything into SciFi. FF9 was to shut the fantasy fans up. 

Some argue FF7 was the beginning of the SciFi, and it was. But it was also rooted more in classic FF conventions.

Now they're dipping into the Fantasy side again, but it doesn't feel the same as it used to.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Burns098356GX

7 was a big break through, and was so far ahead of itself when it came out on the PS1. I still prefer 8 for plot, combat ect.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#10  Edited By the8bitNacho

The Junction system was absolute shit in my eyes.  It was cool to use magic to permanently influence the stats of my characters, but the process of Drawing said commodity from enemies really became tedious after a while.  It got to the point where I completely ignored Magic as an option in combat in effort to avoid ever having to collect on the various spells again. 

I personally prefer IX over all of them, and I hope Square and Sony are quick to release that particular entry in this long running series on the PlayStation Network.  My PSP Go is practically begging for it.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Barrock

VIII was my first FF. I was (and still am) addicted to the GF's and leveling them. Boost was like a game within a game. I loved trying to do as much damage as I possibly could. 

I very much prefer it to VII for some odd reason. IX is really damn good as well. Vivi is a timeless character.

MasterMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MasterMind
@Turambar said:
" The junction system felt overly complex, the need to "draw" spells was stupid for a lack of better words, Squall was inherently unlikable, and something about the art direction always felt off to me. "
squall is cool in my book
though i feel cloud and squall are equally emo
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MrKlorox
@MasterMind: But you can't make out Cloud's "I wanna die" expressions.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By Yummylee

I'm mixed with what i prefer, i definatley favor the battle system in FFVII but i much prefer the characters and storyline from FFVIII.
MasterMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MasterMind
@MrKlorox: its all in his dialog and the way he looks lol.

@Abyssfull:
i kno where you come from the only chars i like in VII are Vincent and Tifa
Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Adamantium

Well, you've gotta respect VII for what it brought to the table in terms of 3D graphics, and revolutionary cutscenes, and magic/summon animations. Without those things, VIII wouldn't have been as good. Still, VIII did all of those things better than VII did.

VII has the better story and characters (better as in "not so convoluted"), you could play as Cid in VII, Tifa was a good kickass girl, and Cloud had real issues that made him a likable protagoinist. Oh, and Sephiroth > Ultimecia. In VIII, Squal was way too whiny, Rinoa was such a throwaway heroine, and Selphie and Irvine were just f*cking annoying, as bad as Cait Sith any day. 

The Materia system was really really great, but the Junction system did allow for more in-depth customization. But the Junction system was fatally flawed with the Draw system and consumable magic spells. The GFs were better as summons than just having another Materia for each summon, and GF affinity was really cool, making certain people better with their GFs by upping their affinity was a good idea.

Side quests and weapons split evenly, but VII gets a huge boost with the chocobo racing circuit. And while VIII did have Triple Triad, VII had the Gold Saucer. 'Nuff said.

IMO, the nostalgia factor is what makes most people believe that VII was superior. To me they're an even split, they basically did all the same stuff, but went about it differently. Still IX happens to be my favorite, and I like XII very much, so my opinion may be flawed. :)

Muddy_Cheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Muddy_Cheeks

i actually prefer 9, but you know im just weird like that.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By JJOR64

This is why FF7 is better:

MasterMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MasterMind
@angryphil: lol nice ur the second person ive seen say this
Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Burns098356GX
@Kombat said:
" The Junction system was absolute shit in my eyes.  It was cool to use magic to permanently influence the stats of my characters, but the process of Drawing said commodity from enemies really became tedious after a while.  It got to the point where I completely ignored Magic as an option in combat in effort to avoid ever having to collect on the various spells again.  I personally prefer IX over all of them, and I hope Square and Sony are quick to release that particular entry in this long running series on the PlayStation Network.  My PSP Go is practically begging for it. "
Agree. I hated the junction. I liked 9 the best because it was a more classic-style FF game. All characters had a pre-set arch-type that worked really well. I wish they'd go back to it.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#21  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Nostalgia and hype make VII better, whether or not you find the statement true doesn't matter because society and the gaming community as a whole have declared VII to be the best. Yeah, that sounded kind of rude. Sorry.

Of course, I take the openly elitist stance of saying that the SNES ones are way better than anything Square has put out in the past 12 years, but that's just me and my J-RPG hating ways.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By CharleyTony

any body that says that FF7 is better than FF8 is completely crazy. Any one who came into this series with the first playstation title (FF7) might have a hard time adapting to all the changes they made when making FF8. But fans that have played all of them know that they like to mix it up. I can't even play FF7 anymore, the primitive 3-D graphics annoy me too much. The fact that FF8 was done on the same hardware is insane. 

To me the best game in the series is Final Fantasy 6  
Top 4 
1- Final Fantasy 6 
2- Final Fantasy 4 
3- Final Fantasy 8 
4- Final Fantasy 7 - a great game, but overhyped IMO, at least it is the game that helped the series fanbase evolve to a new level... 

I haven't taken into account FF11 since I haven't played it and FF12 because my PS2 got stolen before I could finish the game. :( 

MasterMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MasterMind
@CharleyTony:  i like ur list but i would go like this 
1- Final Fantasy 4
2- Final Fantasy 8
3- Final Fantasy 6
4- Final Fantasy tatics2 jk but this is probly gonna be XIII for me becuz it looks awesome but right now its 3 on the ds
ppl are gonna laugh at me lol =P
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I liked Cloud more than Squall. People say he's too "emo", but if I had his problems I would be a little whiny, too.

MasterMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MasterMind
@Bellum: their bothe on the same lvl of emo-ness to me. but i prefer squall becuz he got over it and cloud kept whining
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By Willy105

I haven't played FF8, but FF7 was absolutely incredible....until I got out of Midgar. Then it was really boring for some reason, and I just stopped playing somewhere around Disc 3. Maybe I'll get back to it, I hope so.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By Coombs

VII was decent
VIII was where I started to dislike the series
VI was the best Final Fantasy of all time, Anyone who says different either has VERY different taste in games than me or never played it until after they played VII or any of the later ones.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#29  Edited By gla55jAw

I love both those games. 7 was my first RPG I ever played and 8 was the second. They are both my favorite games of all time. I don't know why people hated Squall so much. I think Squall is a good character.  

In 8 I liked the fact that you could have your characters early in the game in 8 doing around 1000 damage because of the junction system. Doing all the draws did take time, but if your playing an RPG you should enjoy leveling up and grinding for more points and lvls.
MasterMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MasterMind
@gla55jAw said:
  In 8 I liked the fact that you could have your characters early in the game in 8 doing around 1000 damage because of the junction system. Doing all the draws did take time, but if your playing an RPG you should enjoy leveling up and grinding for more points and lvls. "
well put
Phaseshift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Phaseshift

I loved both, 7 was amazing but 8 just gave me the sci-fi realism love I wanted. It's hard to explain I don't dislike 7 it was amazing I just love the neo tokyo feel of 8...ugh so long ago.

MasterMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MasterMind

is it just me but see so many people say that 8 was sci-fi. certain towns felt more steam punk to me

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By crusnchill

A lot of people will probably disagree with me, but this's the order in which I favour each game. No.1 being my favourite FF game/JRPG. 

1. FF9 
2. Lost odyssey 
3. FF7
4. FF10
5. FF8

This may be a travesty to some, but I really do like Lost odyssey and I think anyone who call's themselves a FF/JRPG fan owes it to themselves to play this game. (Especially those who liked FF7, since it was written by the same guy who wrote FF7. AND especially since it's still pretty recent in the graphic's department and on the Xbox 360.) 

FF12 dosn't count, because it's got crappy story and sloppy gameplay mechanic's.
Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cornman89

Know what? FFIX was pretty awesome.

MasterMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MasterMind
@crusnchill said:
"
A lot of people will probably disagree with me, but this's the order in which I favour each game. No.1 being my favourite FF game/JRPG. 

1. FF9 
2. Lost odyssey 
3. FF7
4. FF10
5. FF8

This may be a travesty to some, but I really do like Lost odyssey and I think anyone who call's themselves a JRPG fan owes it to themselves to play this game. (Especially those who liked FF7, since it was written by the same guy who wrote FF7.)  FF12 dosn't count, because it's got crappy story and sloppy gameplay mechanic's. "
dude i thought i was gonna hate lost odyssey i love that game it was alil slow but after i got philll and lill(mack and his sister) the game gott surprisingly epic and good. thats in my top 10 rpg's not
Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Slippy

It would be interesting to see where that dreadful piece of shit Final Fantasy X fits into all this.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Coombs
@Slippy: 
 Pretty friggin low since we're on page 2 and your the first one to mention it lol

Edit: crusnchill has it in his top list....
MasterMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MasterMind
@Slippy: lol nice i dont care much for that game but it wasnt that bad just had a horrible main char. X-2 was slightly better but way to feminine  lol
crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By crusnchill

@Willy105 said:

"I haven't played FF8, but FF7 was absolutely incredible....until I got out of Midgar. Then it was really boring for some reason, and I just stopped playing somewhere around Disc 3. Maybe I'll get back to it, I hope so. "

I hope I can go back and play them too :-) But I think we both know that we won't, lol. 
The graphics are terrible by today's standard's and games have improved in term's of gampelay so much that it'd be hard for me to go back. And I'm guessing that this's true of you as well. Guessing... 

FF9, FF10 and Lost odyssey maybe, but FF8 and FF7. I just couldn't. I don't want to ruin the nostalgic memories. 
And memories is how they'll stay. 

Although I'll never throw the disc's and their respective cases out. lol.

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By crusnchill
@MasterMind: I actually got teary eyed when someone in Kaim's family dies early on in the game(Disc 1 I think), you know who I'm talking about, and I'm hard to get an emotional response from. 
Oh! and that "Thousand Year's of Dream's", managed to get me pretty teared up too. 
It's a very good game. :-)
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By PureRok

I think that Final Fantasy VIII is absolute shit sauce. Since everyone is listing their favorite ones in order I guess I will, too.

1. Final Fantasy VI
  2. Final Fantasy IX
  3. Final Fantasy
  4. Final Fantasy VII
Yes, I think Final Fantasy is better than the rest of the series. 

I'm not going to put Lost Odyssey in there since it's not a Final Fantasy game, nor is it a Square Enix game. It's in my top five JRPGs, though (something Final Fantasy VII doesn't fit in). 

@CharleyTony

said:

" any body that says that FF7 is better than FF8 is completely crazy. Any one who came into this series with the first playstation title (FF7) might have a hard time adapting to all the changes they made when making FF8. But fans that have played all of them know that they like to mix it up.

That's just, like, your opinion, man.
JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#42  Edited By JokerClown88

This is something that I never got.  As a game, VIII is much more enjoyable.  Its characters are more likable and the story is more personal.  VII gets all the glory because of its villain which is BS.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By PureRok
@JokerClown88 said:
" This is something that I never got.  As a game, VIII is much more enjoyable.  Its characters are more likable and the story is more personal.  VII gets all the glory because of its villain which is BS. "
How are the characters more likable? Two of them are overactive idiots, one of them whines about everything when his life is just fine, one's a womanizer, and another is a whore. Yea, really likable.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Systech

Because people are weird.

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Chyro

I always liked the card game in 8.  Dunno what it was but I found it way more enjoyable then the game itself.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Oh a girl died. Whoop whoop.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Barrock
@gla55jAw: 

Eh... am I the only one that doesn't like how in FFXIII you do fucking insane damage? Numbers are popping up 4,000. 3,265. 4,935. 3,333. 8,000 Crit... The mobs must have hundreds of k in HP.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By toowalrus

I'm not a fan of ether, actually. Just not my thing.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#49  Edited By rjayb89

I don't prefer that over that.

MasterMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MasterMind
@Barrock said:
" @gla55jAw:   Eh... am I the only one that doesn't like how in FFXIII you do fucking insane damage? Numbers are popping up 4,000. 3,265. 4,935. 3,333. 8,000 Crit... The mobs must have hundreds of k in HP. "
i always love when games have chars doing damage like that. tatsunoko vs. capcom measures damage in the billions lol.