zero punctuation -- professional trolling?

• 60 results
xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Edited By xplodedd

Lately there has been a lot of strange things going on with Yahtzee's zero punctuation series.
It seems that rather then actually saying what he thought about the game, he just tries to bring
its bad points out to the point were its not really review anymore but rather: I will now diss the shit out
of this game.
Did anyone else notice this or is it just me?

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By xplodedd

Lately there has been a lot of strange things going on with Yahtzee's zero punctuation series.
It seems that rather then actually saying what he thought about the game, he just tries to bring
its bad points out to the point were its not really review anymore but rather: I will now diss the shit out
of this game.
Did anyone else notice this or is it just me?

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kush

I have never been much of a follower of Yahtzee and ZP...but isn't that how he's always been?

mg66368

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By mg66368

He's basically a snarky sensationalist in th gaming media and talks about the negative aspects of the game and bashes most video games to seek attention. He calls himself a game critic instead of a reviewer but his criticism is not constructive. He shuns other genres like fighting games and JRPGs {depsite the fact I'm not a JRPG fan}. Some might say that his videos are made for entertainment purposes but Yahtzee really takes his commentary seriously and hates the fact that some don't take his "critique" seriously.

He rarely makes legitimate points and has a visicious fanbase that will attack you just for criticizing him. He's pretty funny most of the time but he his style of humor can go into Family Guy territory if you know what I mean. He can make random penis jokes and pop culture refrences which usually appeal to twelve year olds. Yahtzee can be entertaining but he's far from being one of the best critics on the web.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xplodedd
Kush said:
"I have never been much of a follower of Yahtzee and ZP...but isn't that how he's always been?"
not really, there were times where he honestly reviewed a game..
like in Orange Box, and his faults used to be true..
they arent anymore..
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Hamz

Yahtzee has always ripped the shit out of games he reviews except the Orange Box which he could find next to nothing wrong with in all fairness its why he got invited to the Valve HQ because they saw his review of the OB. But Yahtzee has always been quick to rip a game apart based on its faults.

AkumaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By AkumaX

He's awesome, although he has started playing to his "character" a little too obviously for the last few months.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xplodedd
AkumaX said:
"He's awesome, although he has started playing to his "character" a little too obviously for the last few months."
yeah, that is sort of my point.. hes been more agressive for no reason
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By Arkthemaniac
xplodedd said:
"AkumaX said:
"He's awesome, although he has started playing to his "character" a little too obviously for the last few months."
yeah, that is sort of my point.. hes been more agressive for no reason"
That's because a lot of game reviewers are getting softer. He's getting more extreme on the other side of the park.
AkumaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AkumaX
xplodedd said:
"AkumaX said:
I don't think he's making up problems, though, I just think he exaggerates them because that's what people "want".

He's still quite funny, but he himself has admitted that it's less interesting when he praises a game.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hamz
xplodedd said:
"AkumaX said:
This topic is the reason, it gets his reviews and name out there amongst more of the gaming community. The man is a genius in my opinion, sure he has faults but he is witty, entertaining and lets face it some of the negative points in games that he mentions he says exactly what we're all thinking!
HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By HazBazz

Taken directly from the Mailbag Showdown episode, where somebody accuses him of being a 'professional troll'

"OK I put my hands up, he has me there, I do point out every little thing thats bad about the game, but then I'm a critic, it's be weird if I didn't. If I put people's balls in my mouth for a living I'd be a prostitute, or possibly a GameSpot employee, but I criticize because I'm a critic... I like the idea of a professional troll though, it makes me think of a hideous creature under a bridge handing out buisness cards."

AkumaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AkumaX
Hamz said:
"xplodedd said:
"AkumaX said:
This topic is the reason, it gets his reviews and name out there amongst more of the gaming community. The man is a genius in my opinion, sure he has faults but he is witty, entertaining and lets face it some of the negative points in games that he mentions he says exactly what we're all thinking!"
It's great to have a fresh viewpoint that isn't handing out 10s to every fifth game, but as I said he's trying too hard some of the time. Don't get me wrong, I still think he's great.
goldenmnk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By goldenmnk

I think its to be "funny" ...right?

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xplodedd

it doesn't really seem that he tries to be funny.. but just bring the faults in games.

OroJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By OroJackson

I used to like Yahtzee, because most of his nit-picks were true and were funny in a "oh yea I remember that, it was stupid" kind of way, and you could tell that those small things didn't take away from the overall experience to such a degree that the game was bad.

However, now he has been inching ever closer to just over-emphasizing the nit-picks and not focusing n the game at all.

Oh, and anybody who says Super Mario Sunsunshine > Super Mario 64 and Saints Row 2 > GTA4 is just a stupid troll and should be kicked into the groin until he is a woman

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
OroJackson said:
"I used to like Yahtzee, because most of his nit-picks were true and were funny in a "oh yea I remember that, it was stupid" kind of way, and you could tell that those small things didn't take away from the overall experience to such a degree that the game was bad.

However, now he has been inching ever closer to just over-emphasizing the nit-picks and not focusing n the game at all.

Oh, and anybody who says Super Mario Sunsunshine > Super Mario 64 and Saints Row 2 > GTA4 is just a stupid troll and should be kicked into the groin until he is a woman"
i dont agree with the sunshine>64 thing but i enjoyed saints row 2 way more then GTA 4 and im sure there are many more people that feel the same way >.< 
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By Willy105

Zero Punctuation is hilarious, but it should NEVER be counted as a credible review place, because it will ALWAYS be a negative review, as far as make something up to make it bad, or if the game is too good, complain about something unimportant such as the name to make it seem negative.

It's still hilarious, but not real.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By shadows_kill
Willy105 said:
"Zero Punctuation is hilarious, but it should NEVER be counted as a credible review place, because it will ALWAYS be a negative review, as far as make something up to make it bad, or if the game is too good, complain about something unimportant such as the name to make it seem negative.

It's still hilarious, but not real."
agreed never take his reviews for real
Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

Meh hEs funny atleast :P

chazer127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By chazer127

I find it funny how he can find faults for nearly every game he revews (apart from the OB one) but I do agree with the fact that he is focusing on the faults more than the game but he has always been like that, he is like marmite, you will either love him or hate him.

PitifullPete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PitifullPete

I agree with most of his criticism, I don't know what you have. But also despite him I like complicated and  round based games. I liked that he tore Halo 3 apart. And yes, GTAIV is hyped in my opinion, too. 

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

yahtzee doesn't do reviews, he never has.
yes, he is a professional troll.  I think he really only appeals to fanboys though who like to see him bash the other console's games.

I think he's a non funny, low production quality version of AVGN.  But AVGN actually reviews some damn broken games and he's, you know, funny

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I always love how these topics come out after he provides a somewhat controversial review. I'll bet ten bucks the OP is a Dead Space fanboy or thinks GTA4 is miles better than Saint's Row 2.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LiquidPrince

He was always like that. But then again he like Prince of Persia so he can't be a total loss.

SgtReznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By SgtReznor

His videos are pure entertainment. If you treat them any more seriously than that, then you're an idiot. He's always been snarky, that's his whole ZP character

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryanwho

Comedians are just real life trolls omg guys </some idiot>

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Snail

No.

He has always been like that, and I've seen his videos about his beginning. If you think he ever really reviewed something then!... You're just wrong. 
He has always just given his opinion on a game and through a negative way. Lately he has been nice, which is fucking ridiculous.
krazedkaoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By krazedkaoz

nice... so if i find him funny im somehow a fanboy. sorry but no.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ryanwho

I hear people who laugh about peanuts at the airport are just public bus transit or train fanboys.

Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Vlademir

He's always been like that. It's just fun to hear about all the minor problems with the game and how some things really don't make sense.

He isn't meant to be taken as a serious reviewer, it's more just for entertainment.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By Snail
Vlademir said:
"He isn't meant to be taken as a serious reviewer, it's more just for entertainment."
Exactly.
Anyone else notice he has been KIND to video games? Instead of that final stab he just delivers a "but this and this is good".
Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32  Edited By Deusoma

I lost a lot of respect for the guy when he said Halo 3's story made no sense after freely stating that he'd never played Halo 1 or 2. I mean, sure, the storytelling wasn't that series'  strong point, but imagine watching the third Matrix movie without seeing the other two. It's never a good idea to go into the third part of a trilogy without any knowledge of the stuff that's already out there. Even then he could at least have admitted that was the reason and moved on.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By scroll

The problem is he can't give a positive review, it's a rare occurrence because he gets the views from the more entertaining negative reviews.

He's paid to be funny and a reviewer second, I watch the videos for entertainment not for his opinion.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jkz

I listen to him, and I still take the big issues he points out, and ask myself whether it would REALLY bother me.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Godwind

If I am not mistaken, he has actually given positive feedback for games.

In fact the most recently one he gave a positive review for was Tom Clancy's HAWX which was about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DonPixel

He`s more a comedian than a critic..  but he`s quality is kinda going down in either the comedian and the critic side..

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By thiago

He is funny because he is right most of the time. This complaint about him is just fanboy anger, because your favorite game got bashed.

Unfortunately games nowadays try to be serious and present some very elaborate situation, both graphically and in terms of story, but they fail miserably. He only points out the obvious flaws.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Diamond

He's always been about the comedy over actual reviews or even his own opinion.

Sometimes he's really good at picking out what's bad about a game, and sometimes not so much (factual errors in the Valkyria Chronicles video for example).

Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Matt_

Yeah, entertainment for me. I like going back and watching them after I have played a game and seeing what he comes up with. But it is not a good source as a buying influence.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Godwind

Also, if Professional Trolling was a job, there would be a trolling union.  They would go about on strikes and stop trolling until they get their money.

Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Matt_
Godwind said:
"Also, if Professional Trolling was a job, there would be a trolling union.  They would go about on strikes and stop trolling until they get their money."

Maybe they would troll trolling at their strikes against professional trolling.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By Video_Game_King
Hamz said:
"Yahtzee has always ripped the shit out of games he reviews except the Orange Box which he could find next to nothing wrong with in all fairness its why he got invited to the Valve HQ because they saw his review of the OB. But Yahtzee has always been quick to rip a game apart based on its faults."
Don't forget Left 4 Dead and Painkiller. (Now that I think about it, this guy has a serious Valve fetish. Where's his Konami fetish? They made Silent Hill, didn't they?)
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CL60
goldenmnk said:
"I think its to be "funny" ...right?"
Correct!
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hatking

I don't think there is anything wrong with him at all.  He does solid reviews and most of his point are valid.  I don't agree with him most of the time, personally I loved GTAIV and Dead Space, but I can see where he is coming from.  I feel like most people just can't stand to have somebody have a different opinion from them and it really hurts when they have their own pedestal to shout it from.  Yes his reviews come are more negative than positive but like every review ever written people don't want to know about the good they want to know about the broken shit and I think because he uses comedy to deliver his points it stings more when it is about a game you enjoy.  Really though he never makes any points that they wouldn't also make on GiantBomb or another video game site, he just makes them more obvious with humor.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#45  Edited By MeatSim

It's all for entertainment purposes you shouldn't take his reviews too seriously.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By crunchUK
That was quite a fitting description
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Godwind
Matt_ said:
"Godwind said:
"Also, if Professional Trolling was a job, there would be a trolling union.  They would go about on strikes and stop trolling until they get their money."
Maybe they would troll trolling at their strikes against professional trolling."
Perhaps, but the demand for trolls need to increase anyways.  You think we should hire some?
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#48  Edited By Vinchenzo

He's trying to be funny...

...but he's not.
Leewow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Leewow

His new stuff is not as good as his old stuff

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Milkman

Are you kidding? That's what Zero Punctuation has ALWAYS been. Anyone who ever went to Zero Punctuation for a fair review is an idiot.