Are you the technology go to guy/girl for friends and family?

Daanienator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Daanienator
cdfishman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By cdfishman

yes, unfortunately it usually consists of

" you need to install some updates..."
Daanienator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Daanienator
cdfishman said:
yes, unfortunately it usually consists of" you need to install some updates..."
I know, it's really annoying. But the only thing I can't always help with are internet problems (like DNS etc.) for some reason I can always get things to work. even though it's the first time I encounter that problem.
cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cc23574

Yes, if I would get a dollar everytime someone asks 'Could you fix my pc?'. I would be so damn rich.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Jeust

OH HELL NO!!!

NO PLEASE NO... 

NOOOOOOOOOO

More that kind of guy... I hate when someone asks me for help. Because generally it something really generic like showing how to create a email, how to log in the the messenger...

Sometimes it reaches the level of recovering a hard drive...

But it's generally or too easy and brain-dead or really hard and it normally takes long time.

When someone asks me for help, i smell trouble on the way.

nixium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By nixium

I started charging people for the work then they stopped asking.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By penguindust

Yes, there is nothing worse than trying to give computer instructions over the phone.  I would make the worst I.T. customer service person ever.

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By donwoogie

Yes.  It usually consists of:

Me:  So what's wrong?
Them:  It just crashed!
Me:  Okay... did it turn itself off?
Them:  No, it crashed!
Me:  Did it say anything when it crashed?
Them:  I don't know!  It just crashed!  I think it's broken.  Why did it crash?

How the bloody hell am I supposed to know if you can't even give me specifics!  There are tonnes of reasons it would crash!  Crashing doesn't just occur because of one specific reason!  And another thing!  It's technology, not MAGIC!

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lashe

Yep. I am computer fixer, TV/Movie provider and general "This electronic device has died, can you fix it?" guy.

"Hello IT - did you try turning it off and on again?"
~ The IT Crowd

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By teh_destroyer

Yes and no, i know a thing or two about building computers, and where to get it on the cheap. I also no a lot of good useful freeware programs at the top of my head, so my friends ask me those and I give them a link. So I am kind of one of those guys.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By flaminghobo
donwoogie said:
Yes.  It usually consists of:Me:  So what's wrong?Them:  It just crashed!Me:  Okay... did it turn itself off?Them:  No, it crashed!Me:  ... [more]
Yeah, I hate people like that.
But I'm the second go to guy if my Dad's not around.
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By dethfish

Yeah, I pretty much have to fix everything from cellphones to PCs. I don't mind it too much, at least I'm good at something.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By BoG

Yes, but I shouldn't be. People like to assume that, because I play video games, I am an all around nerd, and must also play DND and know computers like the back of my hand. Unfortunately, when people have really simple problems that I fix in about 5 seconds, it reinforces the idea that I know what I'm doing.

Kankaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kankaku

YES funny story they said it crashed i said ok did you try to restart it they say .......um no..... restart it and it works lol got 100$ too!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Lashe said:
Yep. I am computer fixer, TV/Movie provider and general "This electronic device has died, can you fix it?" guy. "Hello ... [more]
Did you check to see whether it was plugged in?
skywing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By skywing

i'm that guy in my family, and i hate it

everything my aunt calls is a modem....
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19  Edited By Cerza

Sadly, yes I am...

Lepuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Lepuke

Yes, I am Mr. virus fixer, hard drive wiper/reformatter, faulty hardware troubleshooter, installer of replacement parts/upgrades, new system advice/builder guy.
I do it cheap, but only for my closest friends and family.

Honestly I enjoy the work, but it's one of those things that I could never do as a profession because it wouldn't be fun anymore then. Plus I could never charge the prices computer repair places charge to fix viruses and the like with a straight face.
They charge outrageous prices for "work" that mostly consists of running a program and letting it do it's thing for an hour or two and maybe checking on its progress once in awhile.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pazy

Im totally the tech guy for people around me. Im totally happy helping people with problems but I resent being, essentially, taken advantage of as tech person. The amount of times my friends have asked for tech advice, Ive then spent 30 minutes talking to them and researching problems (maybe learning something new) and fixing there problem and then I say "So what have you been up to lately?" and I get no answer :| Or in person they say they are busy and have to go (with the normal made up excuses). It sucks they seem to come to me sometimes to be friends (and they are great friends) then other times purely as tech person :| I feel like people keep feeling me up then walking away before i get to turn around!

Oh plus I hate praise, the amount of times they call me a computer genius :|

nixium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By nixium
@Meltbrain: Of course you never charge too much. Just enough to make them think if its worth it or not!
Seraphim2150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Seraphim2150

I am for most of my family, apart from my parents who both work in IT. But for everyone else, I'm always the one who has to fix things. I hate them buying new iPods cos guess who has to sort it all out

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By StarFoxA

Yes, unfortunately.

"The computer crashed again, why is that?" Well, it's probably because of the masses of viruses and the fact that it's a five year old computer and you were trying to stream and HD movie off Netflix. That and the fact that there is less than a gigabyte of room left on the entire computer.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#25  Edited By Black_Rose

Yes for most things. They don't realize that I pretty much suck with everything though.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By keyhunter

When people ask me for help with their computer I immediately get pissed off because it's always something stupid.
Even worse is when it's network related, which gives me more reason to get even more pissed off.
Generally to avoid these things I make myself as difficult to be around as possible and then tell them to reformat.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Yeah, but I'm not very good in computers anyway, so it's not saying much. I'm usually the one asking friends for help. My family asks me for help with stuff sometimes but like everyone else has been saying, it's just generic little things like e-mail that require my "expertise".

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_A_Drain

I really pisses me off, I voted hell yeah because the other guy isn't family. If someone has a really technical problem (IE I can't fix it) they go to my mum's boyfriend who's an IT tech guy for a government/military installation (no shit, he has to fucking remove and and all wireless connection ability from computers his company use incase the features are used to leak government secrets) So if I cant solve it, it goes to him.

But all the miscellaneous shit comes to me, like "Why wont this work??! WHAAAAA!!!!" or "Put this shit on eBay for me bitch!" or "Connect my computer to the internet, son, or i'll throw you out on the street" ok, not so much on the last one, but i've spent a year with a horrendous landlord, so im moving back home again and i'll be forced to deal with all the stupid shit my family throws at me. Basicly yeah, my family doesnt even know how to plug in a fucking DVD player, but I don't even get the satisfaction of solving halfway decent problems because they assume it's too complex for me so it goes to the boyfriend instead. Pisses me off, I don't have a college diploma in digital media, communications and IT for no reason.

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ShadowKiller

Yeah they usually ask me about good games to buy and how to install/fix their computer. I'm used to it now because I was always into video games while my friends just casually play them.

vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30  Edited By vendetta

Absolutely. My family would be lost without me as far as PC issues. As far as other entertainment like television, sound, etc, my father can handle. But I'm definitely the family IT guy.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By MKHavoc

Yes, but it's gotten to the point where no one will try to fix anything on their own.  Even really simple things.

I'll admit though that do love setting up new electronics for people.  When my aunt got a new PC and an HDTV, I was the one she came to.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Black_Raven

I always get asked to fix the family computer at my house, I'm also the one that usually gets blamed when it breaks..

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

I'm the go to guy for people who want to buy new electronic things. Apparently no one I know knows how to check a review for something. They have to ask me to compare it to other things and tell them why it's good. Last time I told someone to check a review site for a new laptop they said: "I don't trust what those people say"... But they trust me?

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Player1

yeah..unfortunately. It really annoys me when I'm trying to do something, and my family ask me a stupid computer question. Most of those problems are fixed by a simple restart, but they never learn. Then, if I act mad about having to help them, they bitch and are all like "if you want to have a career in technology you should be able to help me."

Pkshields

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Pkshields

Of course, any time something could possibly go wrong on a computer I have to go round and look at it. Usually it consists of turning the modem off and on, but it makes me look like a genius :D

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#36  Edited By natetodamax

Yep.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By Gunner

mom "my mouse wont work, what do i do?"
me "is it plugged in?"
mom "I dont know, it just wont work"

/sigh.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By Ineedaname

My girlfriend calls me a geek.
My friends call me a geek, and if they have troubles with their laptops they normally give them to me for a day and expect me to fix it.
Even when it's small things like connecting to the net to the PS3 it's me, same applies for graphic design, although I've become crap at photoshop I used to be rather good made a few sigs and what not, but I've not used it for ages so on that front my tips aren't as good as they used to be =|.

On the other forum I use for my social gaming clan, I've become the guy who posts all the new games on there and what not, when someone wants gameplay or new games I normally point them in the right direction. (Basically we get together on certain nights game drink and sit on vent.)

MrPerfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MrPerfect

I am that guy that my family goes to to fix their computers, I have thought about charging them before lol. 

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ahriman22

God yes and it annoys the shit out of me.

"Hey Dev, how do uninstall "xxxx"?"
"Control panel -> UNISTALL PROGRAMS, christ mother, did you even look?"

Usually goes like that.
Avatar image for guerrilla_mason
guerrilla_mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By guerrilla_mason

I am, but I have no idea why. I seem to be able to fix things, but they break a week or two later. I'm the ultimate pseudo-fix guy.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Karmum

Almost never, I have two brothers before they go to me that dabble in that field.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheGreatGuero

At times, yes. I used to be better with technology, but these days I find myself pretty far behind in the times.

altdimension

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#44  Edited By altdimension

Yep, and I hate it.

angybangy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By angybangy

not really for general electronics stuff, but for games i am. no-one else in my family has a clue what games are good and what games are bad. they haven't managed to grasp the concept of looking at reviews yet, but i think if i give em another few years they'll get there :P

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Commando

My parents would be in the stone age if I wasn't here. My mom doesn't even know how to get to Video1 on the TV. She'll be watching satellite TV, then accidentally use the wrong remote and change from Video1 to channel 3, and she won't know how to get it back. She actually waits for me to get home from college(which is once every 2 or 3 months) for me to change it back so she can watch TV again.

Avatar image for optimusprime223
optimusprime223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47  Edited By optimusprime223

i work in IT support as well, so I got it double!!!