Fox Removes Special Features from Rental DVDs

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/03/12/fox-to-remove-special-features-from-rental-dvds/

The basics of it are simple:  Fox believes they can impact the used DVD sales market from rental stores by cutting the special features from all rental copies of their movies.

The first movies to feature this will be Marley & Me, as well as Oscar-winner Slumdog Millionaire...
...and down the line...
...Watchmen.

So, let's discuss this, shall we?  Is this REALLY the way to fight against the market?  I understand the point that Fox is making:  renters are just wanting to watch the movie, while people who usually care about special features will buy DVDs more than they rent.  However, doesn't this just seem like a bit of a rip?

Might as well go to the theatre if I'm going to get charged $6 for a movie rental with no special features.

Also, as the article points out...what about Netflix customers?

*EDIT*  Accidentally posted this in General Discussion.  Sorry.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Wolverine

That is going to be annoying, it turns out I'll have to buy more movies instead of renting now. Well at least I'll feel as I'm getting something for my money that I can't get way cheaper.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By fr0br0

That is actually an idea that could really work... to an extent. Most people I know don't bother to watch special features, but I enjoy checking those out if I like the movie enough. Damn is that evil of you, Fox.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By weltal

Uhh, kay?
What's the purpose behind this? Anyone who wants to watch the special features bad enough have probably bought the film already and for every other film out there most people couldn't give two shits about special features.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By BoG

You know, that really is a good idea. It kind of sucks, but it's a clever way to push that many more people to actually purchase the DVD.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By Arkthemaniac

. . . .

. . . . . . . . 

. . . . . . . . 

Those are representing me trying to think of the last time I cared about special features.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jakob187
Wolverine said:
"That is going to be annoying, it turns out I'll have to buy more movies instead of renting now. Well at least I'll feel as I'm getting something for my money that I can't get way cheaper."
Right, but here's another part that people might've missed in the article:

Blu-Rays aren't mentioned...so do THEY get to keep special features?  If so, that's bullshit.

Besides, who honestly wants to pay $20 at retail for ONE movie when they can go to Blockbuster and pick up a Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale for $20?  THREE movies vs. ONE movie?  For real...

I mean, sure, if you don't care about special features, it's whatever for you.  However, the prices won't be changing at rental stores...so it's basically a ripoff.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Systech

That's one of the smartest business plans ever. I was going to buy Slumdog Millionaire anyway.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jakob187

Well, I can understand if some people don't care about special features, but personally, I like seeing how the movie was made.  There may be movies that I KNOW I won't buy because the list of special features isn't that great.  I mean, I'm sorry...but $20 to OWN a DVD in my house...is fucking ridiculous.  DVDs have been around now for HOW LONG?  The prices haven't shifted THAT much in the last 10 years.  Maybe a $5.00 drop in MSRP, but that's about it.  For $20, I better get more than just the fucking movie.  Otherwise, it better be dirt cheap or bargain binning.

Meanwhile, another trend that I hate is this:  don't list something as a Collector's Edition or Two-Disc Special Edition, and then make the second disc mainly THE DIGITAL FUCKING COPY OF THE MOVIE!!!  I Am Legend did that, and luckily, I noticed it.  However, there will be this sticker saying "Three Hours of Bonus Material", and that bonus material is audio commentary and a digital copy.  BULLSHIT!  I pay my $25, I want to see some background on the making of the movie.  I wanna see something about Heath Ledger playing The Joker and Aaron Eckhart playing Harvey Dent.  I want more than "yeah, this is the Batpod, and this is the Batsuit now"...followed by a six part series of shitty acting and interviews that feel like shitty improv with Anthony Michael Hall.

Sorry, had to get that out.
Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Keyser_Soze

Rupert Murdoch (owner of Fox) has got to get a way to raise profit levels, last year his NewsCorp business lost $6.4 Billion. Serves him and his company right, fucking scumbag. I hope this economic collapse hits some companies hard in the FACE!!!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jakob187
Keyser_Soze said:
"Rupert Murdoch (owner of Fox) has got to get a way to raise profit levels, last year his NewsCorp business lost $6.4 Billion. Serves him and his company right, fucking scumbag. I hope this economic collapse hits some companies hard in the FACE!!!"
Well, look at the movies they put out last year!!!
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kush

I can support the removal of Special Features from rental DVDs...if they fucking drop the ridiculous prices for renting a movie at a place like Blockbuster. $5-6 for one movie rental is absolutely ridiculous. I can see rental stores not liking this idea though. I think this could potentially hurt the sales on pre-owned copies of such DVDs.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Milkman

This is actually a really good idea. I don't think people will stop renting movies because of it but the real movie buffs, who want to see everything will need to buy them.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Claude

I see their point. If you rent the DVD, you get to watch the movie... buy = more. I don't have a problem with that.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HandsomeDead

Is it FOX who are still trying to push for unskippable advertisements on DVDs? I remember reading about that a while ago and it sounds like the worst thing ever.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

I think News Corp should sell off/kill off MySpace instead to make money back, but this is still a pretty good idea.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By RHCPfan24

This idea might actually work....but I don't like it. I do like to still go to Blockbuster now and then and pick up the sweet deals they have with used DVDs, so this will definitely affect how much or if I even do that again. I also am starting to go over to Blu-Ray, so...if this doesn't affect it I may not have that big of a problem.

Still, it might actually work as a business plan but I don't like how Fox is sort of segregating their market. Not everyone wants to buy new DVDs that still cost upwards of $20 just to see it once and watch the special features, but they should get that on the rental. Taking that away from the renting audience may cause some uproar.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

People watch the specials? Most of the time it's just audio commentary that is 90% of the time god awful.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jakob187

Here, let me explain this in a different point of view for some of you to understand how BAD this is for rental chains:

When 300 came out on DVD, our local Blockbuster (franchise, not corporate) had to pay $120 per copy of the movie before putting it on their shelves.  Why?  Licensing fees, the ability to rent it out, money to the studio, royalties, etc.  $120 A FUCKING COPY!  They got 70 copies of the movie.

Now, logical math tells you that it would mean you need 20 rentals (at $6.00 per rental national average) to see the money come back.  However, you also have to make up the costs for the Am-Rays that the movie is cased in, the paper, the ink, etc etc etc.  You also have to pay for the labor of people that have to stock those movies, shelf them, and rent them.  In turn, it would take at least 30-40 rentals per copy to make that money back.

At least HALF of those copies won't be watched more than once.  Now, they got the 1-disc editions.  Not the 2-disc editions.  However, they sell that movie used for $7-$10 on their shelves, and in turn, they try to get SOME of that money back that was essentially wasted.

So, if you want to talk about the real crime, this is going to HURT rental companies because there are times where they'll get a good edition of a movie (like the 2-disc of American Gangster), and they may not be able to have all the special features.  Well, why the hell would anyone want to buy a 1-disc edition like that when I can go to the store?

Blockbuster loses a sale.

Sales go down, money incoming goes down.

That forces people to lose their hours or, worse yet, their jobs.

This is a BAD thing.  Companies like Fox are already collecting their money and then some on the $120 a copy per movie that Blockbuster buys!!!  Why the FUCK are they going to say "well, rental chains, you can't have special features on your discs anymore"...and especially after you look at how companies like The Weinstein Company have EXCLUSIVE FUCKING DEALS with Blockbuster to ONLY feature their product in Blockbuster stores...and to top THAT off, The Weinstein Company's BB Exclusive stuff usually has ADDITIONAL features that aren't on the RETAIL copies!!!

SO WHAT THE FUCK?!

So do you SEE why this is a bad thing?  To top it off, we're talking about 20th Century Fox.  If you look at this list, you'll see EXACTLY why they are hurting for money:

Meet The Spartans
27 Dresses
Nim's Island
Jumper
Horton Hears a Who!
What Happens in Vegas
Max Payne
Babylon A.D.
Space Chimps
Meet Dave
The Happening
Australia
The X-Files: I Want To Believe
City of Ember
The Day The Earth Stood Still
Marley & Me

That is EVERY movie they released last year!  EVERY FUCKING ONE OF THEM!!!  Only 1 on that list, as far as I know of, made over $100 million in the theatres.

So here's a solution:  STOP PUTTING OUT SHITTY MOVIES!!!

*EDIT*  Btw...Fox is also bringing you guys the beauty that is , Bride Wars, Dragonball Evolution and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakuel this year.   -_-  The only things on their plate that look appetizing are James Cameron's Avatar and Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Milkman
jakob187 said:
Chipmunks: The Squeakuel 
AW COME ON!
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By weltal

Really? You're going to argue that Fox is forcing people out of their jobs with this action? Melodramatic, much?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jakob187
Weltal said:
"Really? You're going to argue that Fox is forcing people out of their jobs with this action? Melodramatic, much?"
If anything, we've seen what small moves can do in this economy lately...
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Lulz.

For unleashing Meet The Spartans on the world, your punishment is . . .  erm . . . having to fuck over rental chains.
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By weltal
jakob187 said:
"Weltal said:
"Really? You're going to argue that Fox is forcing people out of their jobs with this action? Melodramatic, much?"
"
Ok, lets take it in another direction; Fox doesn't do this. Fox fails to make adequate profits off DVD sales, they lay people off, these people starve to death and their children are forced to become prostitutes. Good god man! You want these people to die!?
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jakob187
Weltal said:
"jakob187 said:
"Weltal said:
"
Ok, lets take it in another direction; Fox doesn't do this. Fox fails to make adequate profits off DVD sales, they lay people off, these people starve to death and their children are forced to become prostitutes. Good god man! You want these people to die!?"
Let's look at this from yet ANOTHER perspective.

Meet

The

Spartans.

I think there is enough said there.  Fox needs to stop making shitty movies, and then they don't have to worry about their dwindling DVD sales.  = D
ToRo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ToRo

That's why there's always Torrents.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jakob187
ToRo said:
"That's why there's always Torrents."
I don't download movies.
EleFlameMax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EleFlameMax

Fuck them?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#29  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I could care less for two reasons. The first is that they don't make that many good movies (as shown by jakob). The second is that Special Features consist of stuff I ignore. Who listens to audio commentaries anyways?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#30  Edited By AgentJ

I dont even the last time that i watched a movie made by fox, so i can't say it'll effect me much. The two movies of theirs that i own are Borat and Dodgeball. If other studios start to do this, i will probably buy fewer movies in boycott. After all, if they remove the Special Features, and I'm renting a movie to see if i want to buy it, then the lack of special features may mean the difference between a must-buy and a bargin-bin buy.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#31  Edited By AgentJ
Keyser_Soze said:
"Rupert Murdoch (owner of Fox) has got to get a way to raise profit levels, last year his NewsCorp business lost $6.4 Billion. Serves him and his company right, fucking scumbag. I hope this economic collapse hits some companies hard in the FACE!!!"
To be fair, Murdoch is much more mild these days. I can't say he's really a scumbag anymore. However, some of the people in his employ (Hannity) could be called traitorous or unpatriotic pretty easily.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Linkyshinks

I don't have a problem with this. I'm not concerned with most extras when renting a DVD. If I like a film I will usually go onto buying a copy.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By BiggerBomb

I can't tell how effective this will be, but I agree with it. Contrary to my thoughts on Fox's propagandist machine, most commonly/counter-intuitively known as Fox "News," Fox Studios is an entirely competent movie-production entity, one that I have no beef with. I would do the same, if not more, in their shoes. Rental is killing the video store.

destro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By destro

Fox is retarded. That's all there is to it.  Everyone knows this. Hell even Fox makes fun of Fox

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BiggerBomb
AgentJ said:
"Keyser_Soze said:
To be fair, Murdoch is much more mild these days. I can't say he's really a scumbag anymore. However, some of the people in his employ (Hannity) could be called traitorous or unpatriotic pretty easily.
"

I don't have a huge problem with Murdoch, either. He's a capitalist; nothing more, nothing less. I do agree, however, that some of his employees are straight up bad people. *Cough*BillO'ReillyandSeanHannityandeveryoneelseatFoxNews*Cough*
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Diamond

I hope people start realizing that movies suck.

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Eelcire

Once again, a company tries to bring in more money by being anti-consumer. Not every rental would have been a guaranteed sale; just as I posted in the question of the day about used games sales: A used sale (and rental) does not equate to a lost new sale.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By iamjohn
jakob187 said:
"The first movies to feature this will be Marley & Me, as well as Oscar-winner Slumdog Millionaire...
...and down the line...
...Watchmen."
How would they go about doing that when it's a Warner Bros. movie?

As anti-consumer as this it, it makes sense.  I don't like it, but I can see where they're coming from.
Eelcire said:
"Once again, a company tries to bring in more money by being anti-consumer. Not every rental would have been a guaranteed sale; just as I posted in the question of the day about used games sales: A used sale (and rental) does not equate to a lost new sale."
What they would argue, though, is that doing this benefits them because if people see the movie and like it, they'd be more inclined to buy it and get the extra features, and dissuades from purchasing the copy from, say, Blockbuster because they'll get the neutered copy instead.
Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Eelcire
iAmJohn said:
Eelcire said:
"Once again, a company tries to bring in more money by being anti-consumer. Not every rental would have been a guaranteed sale; just as I posted in the question of the day about used games sales: A used sale (and rental) does not equate to a lost new sale."
What they would argue, though, is that doing this benefits them because if people see the movie and like it, they'd be more inclined to buy it and get the extra features, and dissuades from purchasing the copy from, say, Blockbuster because they'll get the neutered copy instead.
"

While I would agree it does make sense from a business stand point, it still is part of a trend that most industries are following: make more money be screwing the customer. Why couldn't publishers instead work with retailers to find alternative solutions? My solution would be for publishers to work out a deal with retailers that sell used products so that retailers would get a larger percentage of profit for selling new, and in return publishers get a certain percentage off used sales.

Used sales will not go away. Either fight it and die or embrace and take advantage of it and survive.
Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Colonel_Fury

I can't say I really care about this. I hardly ever rent movies and when I do, its usually an older movie. If I like a movie enough I buy it.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Usually there are two editions of a movie released anyway, the stripped edition usually hitting blockbuster rental shelves. I remember being able to rent the two disc edition of most movies, but now you'd be lucky to get so much as a commentary track when you rent a flick. I plan on buying the clusterfuck bundle super edition of Watchmen anyway, so this doesn't really affect me in that regard.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FlipperDesert

The last Fox movie I saw was The Simpsons, and that wasn't all that great. It's poor consistency in quality that costs them sales, not rentals.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#43  Edited By Willy105

NO!

Let rentals alone! They are the superior way to watch new movies (aside from a movie theater).