Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Haven't played PC in a long time, Recommend me some gems

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Bass

So it's been a long time since I played any PC games. I just built a pretty nice machine so that I could finally play what seems to be the best version of most of the games coming out lately. However, I do know that there are a lot of games that I missed completely because I didn't have a PC at the time. I was hoping that I could get some recommendations for games that were great on the PC in recent years. Keep in mind that I have been able to play consoles during my hiatus from PC gaming, and I'm not especially interested in playing these games over again just because I played them on a console instead of a PC. So, keeping that in mind, let's try to recommend games that either didn't come out on any of the consoles, or are vastly superior experiences on the PC over the console version (I'm thinking somehting like Dragon Age: Origins, or something to that effect). The game doesn't need to be too recent, but I'm looking for something that still looks pretty decent graphically.

So, basically, what were your favorite PC games of the last 5 years? Thanks for any help guys, I appreciate it.

Samael2138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Samael2138

Amnesia. If you can deal with the stress, lol

Flip175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Flip175

I really love Civilization 5, great time to jump in with the expansion just coming out. Also Amnesia.

Falk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Falk

I'm playing alot of Diablo 3 and Warlock atm, and I would definitely recommend both.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Undeadpool

Witcher 2 (now with console port!)

Civ V

Binding of Isaac (even though I've yet to beat it ONCE!!!!)

Deus Ex: HR (again, you CAN go console)

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By fox01313

Agreed Amnesia, Civ5. Also try Dungeons of Dredmor, Legend of Grimrock, Diablo3 & maybe just cruise through the latest quick looks on pc games (or major releases) to see what's on steam to find something to strike your interest.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TyCobb

Skyrim on PC beats the crap out of Skyrim on Console. Really any TES or Fallout game is better on PC because of the mods/graphics.

As others have said, Amnesia is great, but make sure you play in a quiet room at night with the lights off. That is a game that you can completely get immersed in and does not have the same appeal if you are not 100% focused on the game. Also at night because it can kind of freak you out. If you have "surround sound" headphones even better.

Stay away from Diablo 3, that is nothing but Blizzard trying to soak their fan base of their money. I returned my copy. It is a shame of they did to that franchise and introducing an AH.

Battlefield 3 is a great PC experience and better than MW in my opinion. I am only talking about MP. I have never touched a campaign and only ever buy BF or MW for the MP component.

CIV games are worth every penny if you enjoy Turn Based strategy games.

Any FPS you wanted to play or play again. Mouse and keyboard baby! Steam is your best friend when it comes to games within the last 5 years. You can probably find good prices on lots of stuff you may have already played on console, but really want to try on PC. Origin exists too.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Quoting myself from a similar thread:

Welcome to the most open, loving and freebie-infested platform that ever was or will be. Enjoy your stay (:

Single player:

• Deus Ex is by far the greatest gem to ever grace the platform. Download the texture pack and have one of the best most innovative stealth FPS cyberpunk experiences out there.
    • If it feels too old/dated for you, Deus Ex: Human Revolution (2011) is an absolutely faithful and true spiritual successor. It's all about the unique stealth gameplay.
    • S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl (FPS). Hands down thee best atmosphere in a game, big dysfunctional world around you with mutants and beasts and bandits and military. Download the game-fixing Complete 2009 Mod.
    • The Portal franchise is a must play.
    • World in Conflict and Company of Heroes are two of the best Real Time Strategy games from this generation.
    • Civilization V for Turn-Based Strategy.
    • Skyrim needs no introduction. The amount of game-altering/game-enhancing user-made mods will blow your MIND.
    • If you dislike fantasy RPGs, Fallout 3 is Skyrim with guns, and set in a wasteland. Tons of mods as well.
    • The Witcher is miles ahead of the 7-8 other RPGs that I've played. Such a bleak, bleak universe that's almost as scary to explore as Stalker's. The character is way too badass for you to handle and the story is very unique. Swordplay is a little stale but the various attack stances and the awesome magic spells that you can upgrade make up for it.
    • The general consensus (which I disagree with) is that playing Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings without playing the first game is just fine. Both games are great, but Witcher 1 is a must-play on PC IMO.
    • Crysis. If anyone tells you it's a tech demo, they didn't play for more than 30 minutes. That gameplay blew my mind in 2007 and has been doing so on an annual basis. Arguably the greatest PC FPS.
    • Half-Life 2 is the obvious choice for a more linear and story driven FPS. Too outdated for you? Metro 2033 is, I think, the closest new HL2-esque game.
    • Serious Sam 3: BFE is a new old-school shooter where all kinds of freaky monsters lunge at you and you get to blow them to bits.
    • Hitman: Blood Money, Thief: Deadly Shadows and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory for the best first person/third person stealth adventures on the platform. You need patience, strategy and some trial-and-error, but the end result is extremely satisfying.
    • Max Payne 1 and 2, extremely old, yet the gameplay, aesthetics and story telling haven't aged a single day. Some of the best Third Person Shooters you can find on the platform, and by far the best noire atmospheres in a game.
    • Too outdated for you? Jump onto Max Payne 3, I can't be more amazed by how true of a sequel it is and how well it looks and runs on PC.
    • Just Cause 2 is the most explosive action open world third person shooter I've ever played. The graphics and aesthetics deserve an award.
    • Trine and Trine 2 are both really great side-scrolling adventure puzzlers.
    • Dreamfall: The Longest Journey is a pretty good adventure game. I'm not good with adventure games, I dunno.
    • Diablo III if you like ARPGs with infinite grinding and loot whoring. Amazing game!
    • If you wanna try the Diablo experience in a smaller, simpler and CHEAPER version, play Torchlight.
    • Neverwinter Nights 2 is, I think, the go-to party-based RPG on the PC. Go for Dragon Age: Origins, the last real PC game by Bioware, if NWN2 is too outdated for you.

Multiplayer:

• Battlefield 3 is the best multiplayer FPS for the PC on the market right now. We have our own Giant Bomb server and a group of 400 GB members, we play together and have our own voice server.
    • Team Fortress 2 (multiplayer) - Very entertaining, encourages teamwork, has a unique cartoony aesthetic, and it's FREE TO PLAY.
    • Starcraft 2 is the best strategical multiplayer RTS (Real Time Strategy).
    • Mount & Blade is a... I'm not even sure how to describe it. But it's very good at what it does. Help, someone!
    • ArmA II, especially with the newly-released and widely acclaimed zombie mod for it called DayZ, is the best military simulator on the PC. An MMO-like open world with tons of custom game modes. Try ArmA II Free2Play and see if you like it! (Which is done by downloading the demo on Steam).
    • If you like your multiplayer co-op games, Left 4 Dead 2 and Magicka are great.
    Neferon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Neferon

@AhmadMetallic said:

Quoting myself from a similar thread:

Welcome to the most open, loving and freebie-infested platform that ever was or will be. Enjoy your stay (:

• Deus Ex is by far the greatest gem to ever grace the platform. Download the texture pack and have one of the best most innovative stealth FPS cyberpunk experiences out there.
    • If it feels too old/dated for you, Deus Ex: Human Revolution (2011) is an absolutely faithful and true spiritual successor. It's all about the unique stealth gameplay.
    • Battlefield 3 is the best multiplayer FPS for the PC on the market right now. We have our own Giant Bomb server and a group of 400 GB members, we play together and have our own voice server.
    • The Portal franchise is a must play.
    • Team Fortress 2 (multiplayer) - Very entertaining, encourages teamwork, has a unique cartoony aesthetic, and it's FREE TO PLAY.
    • World in Conflict and Company of Heroes are two of the best Real Time Strategy games from this generation.
    • Starcraft 2 is the best strategical multiplayer RTS (Real Time Strategy).
    • Civilization V for Turn-Based Strategy.
    • Skyrim needs no introduction. The amount of game-altering/game-enhancing user-made mods will blow your MIND.
    • If you dislike fantasy RPGs, Fallout 3 is Skyrim with guns, and set in a wasteland. Tons of mods as well.
    • The Witcher is miles ahead of the 7-8 other RPGs that I've played. Such a bleak, bleak universe that's almost as scary to explore as Stalker's. The character is way too badass for you to handle and the story is very unique. Swordplay is a little stale but the various attack stances and the awesome magic spells that you can upgrade make up for it.
    • The general consensus (which I disagree with) is that playing Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings without playing the first game is just fine. Both games are great, but Witcher 1 is a must-play on PC IMO.
    • Crysis. If anyone tells you it's a tech demo, they didn't play for more than 30 minutes. That gameplay blew my mind in 2007 and has been doing so on an annual basis. Arguably the greatest PC FPS.
    • S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl . Hands down thee best atmosphere in a game, big dysfunctional world around you with mutants and beasts and bandits and military, and the shooting is extremely unique. Download the Complete 2009 Mod.
    • Half-Life 2 is the obvious choice for a more linear and story driven FPS. Metro 2033 is, I think, the closest new HL2-esque game, if HL2 is too old for you.
    • If you like your multiplayer co-op games, Left 4 Dead 2 and Magicka are great.
    • Serious Sam 3: BFE is a new old-school shooter where all kinds of freaky monsters lunge at you and you get to blow them to bits.
    • Hitman: Blood Money, Thief: Deadly Shadows and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory for the best first person/third person stealth adventures on the platform. You need patience, strategy and some trial-and-error, but the end result is extremely satisfying.
    • Max Payne 1 and 2, extremely old, yet the gameplay, aesthetics and story telling haven't aged a single day. Some of the best Third Person Shooters you can find on the platform, and by far the best noire atmospheres in a game.
    • Too outdated for you? Jump onto Max Payne 3, I can't be more amazed by how true of a sequel it is and how well it looks and runs on PC.
    • Just Cause 2 is the most explosive action open world third person shooter I've ever played. The graphics and aesthetics deserve an award too.
    • Trine and Trine 2 are both really great side-scrolling adventure puzzlers.
    • Dreamfall: The Longest Journey is a pretty good adventure game. I'm not good with adventure games, I dunno.
    • Mount & Blade is a... I'm not even sure how to describe it. But it's very good at what it does. Help, someone!
    • ArmA II, especially with the newly-released and widely acclaimed zombie mod for it called DayZ, is the best military sim on the PC. An MMO-like open world with tons of custom game modes. Try ArmA II Free2Play and see if you like it! (Which is done by downloading the demo on Steam).
    • Diablo III if you like ARPGs with infinite grinding and loot whoring. Amazing game!
    • If you wanna try the Diablo experience in a smaller, simpler and CHEAPER version, play Torchlight.
    • Neverwinter Nights 2 is, I think, the go-to party-based RPG on the PC. Go for Dragon Age: Origins, the last real PC game by Bioware, if NWN2 is too outdated for you.

Enjoy your stay.

Pretty much all of this! :)

Samael2138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Samael2138

@AhmadMetallic said:

World in Conflict and Company of Heroes are two of the best Real Time Strategy games from this generation.

I totally agree. Can't believe I forgot about World in Conflict. That game is fantastic. If you like RTS, of course!

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By thesquarepear

Alan Wake on PC is really pretty and the shooting feels great.

Trackmania 2 is a great way to test your PC and your reflexes.

If you're otherwise confident your PC is great then try a Rockstar Rage powered game (GTA IV (expansions are best) or Max Payne 3) since they are the most taxing games I know.

If you're a fan of RTS, Adventure or Simulation games, PC is the place to be.

Otherwise PC mainstream is moving toward indies with stuff like VVVVVV or F2P with MS Flight and the time sink that is MMOs.

For stores see:

http://gamersgate.com

http://gog.com

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bishna

Company of Heroes - Great squad based RTS

STALKER games - Great atmosphere and rpg elements in a decent fps

Civ V - Basically the biggest and best board game you will ever play

Recetear: An Item Shop's Tale - An interesting an idea where you play the item shop owner in an rpg world. Has some ok hack and slash dungeon crawling but the real meat is in managing your shop and pleasing customers

Total War series from Medieval II till present - Combines some of the nation management from games like Europa Universalis with intense strategic battles with thousands of units.

Super Monday Night Combat - A free to play MOBA 3rd person shooter. It is buckets of fun.

Mount and Blade - Definitely won't push your hardware and isn't exactly easy on the eyes but the combat is kind of cool and gathering your own band of soldiers and choosing who to fight for is interesting.

Tropico 4 - City building and management with a heavy 60's and 70's theme that is full of caricatures. Alot like Tropico 3 but for some reason this one really grabbed me in a way that it's predecessor didn't

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#13  Edited By BeachThunder

You profile says FPSs are your favourite genre. You will be in for a shock when you see how much easier things are with a mouse and keyboard :D

Anyway, a few suggestions:

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Good suggestions so far, so I'll just add Red Alert 2 and the Dawn of War series.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jrad
    HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By HadesTimes

Favorite PC games of the last five years?

Diablo 3

Civilization V

Warhammer 40K (all of the PC only titles)

Starcraft 2

Rusty Hearts (F2P)

Probably four or five years ago I was still playing WoW. So that's all I've got.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Company of Heroes, got me back into RTS

Schmollian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Schmollian

Hmmm. Not much I can think of that someone else hasn't already mentioned.

I guess if your a sci fi nerd like myself, I would recommend getting Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. Its on steam for $40 and is well worth that price for the amount of gameplay you can get out of it.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Team Fortress 2

Civilization V

Terraria

The Binding of Isaac

Mount and Blade: Warband

Torchlight

I can't wait for the summer Steam sale....

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By Dalai

Definitely pick up some indie titles like World of Goo, VVVVVV, and Osmos. 

And you might as well download Team Fortress 2 and buy some hats for no reason.

Socialone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Socialone

You guys got it all covered, so I'll just add Sins of a Solar Empire and Battle for Middle Earth 2/ Command and Conquer 3 (two skins for the same game basically, a simple yet very fun and flashy RTS).

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bass

What do you guys think of dragon age origins? I remember it being popular at the time. Does it hold up?

Also I'll add that I have already bought D3 and will probably be playing that for quite some time. Additionally, if you check out my 360 profile, I don't really want to play any of those games again, at least right now. I want fresh and new experiences, not ones that are just better than an experience I have already had (like skyrim, for instance).

games that are cheap will probably get priority.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By doobie

@TyCobb said:

Skyrim on PC beats the crap out of Skyrim on Console. Really any TES or Fallout game is better on PC because of the mods/graphics.

As others have said, Amnesia is great, but make sure you play in a quiet room at night with the lights off. That is a game that you can completely get immersed in and does not have the same appeal if you are not 100% focused on the game. Also at night because it can kind of freak you out. If you have "surround sound" headphones even better.

Stay away from Diablo 3, that is nothing but Blizzard trying to soak their fan base of their money. I returned my copy. It is a shame of they did to that franchise and introducing an AH.

Battlefield 3 is a great PC experience and better than MW in my opinion. I am only talking about MP. I have never touched a campaign and only ever buy BF or MW for the MP component.

CIV games are worth every penny if you enjoy Turn Based strategy games.

Any FPS you wanted to play or play again. Mouse and keyboard baby! Steam is your best friend when it comes to games within the last 5 years. You can probably find good prices on lots of stuff you may have already played on console, but really want to try on PC. Origin exists too.

of course you NEVER EVER even have to go ANYWHERE near the AH at all. just thought id as that as D3 is fuckin ace

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TyCobb

Yes, I know I don't have to use the AH, but in order to do anything in Inferno you have to unless you are one of OP classes. I had fun up until 60 and then it was just farming the same spots over and over again which isn't all bad until Blizzard decided that silent nerf patches were OK. I don't condone patches without patch notes and patches that are supposed to help stop botters, but in actuality do nothing, but hurt non botters.

The RMAH was just the final reason I needed to never play it again. I don't like that business model and think it is a really bad precedent.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By doobie

@TyCobb said:

Yes, I know I don't have to use the AH, but in order to do anything in Inferno you have to unless you are one of OP classes. I had fun up until 60 and then it was just farming the same spots over and over again which isn't all bad until Blizzard decided that silent nerf patches were OK. I don't condone patches without patch notes and patches that are supposed to help stop botters, but in actuality do nothing, but hurt non botters.

The RMAH was just the final reason I needed to never play it again. I don't like that business model and think it is a really bad precedent.

why do you think that?

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bass

I would appreciate if the topic of this discussion was kept to some really solid semi-recent PC games, not how awesome/not awesome the auction house is in D3.

Still looking for stuff to add to my wishlist. Thanks for the suggestions so far though guys.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Jackel2072

i was like you my friend. went years without playing anything on the PC then about a year ago, built a new machine. Now the PC has become platform i prefer now to play all my games on. now i dont hate consoles (most likely going to pick up another PS3 for the last of us) however it has been AGES since i really turned on my 360 to play anything.

For the most part it looks like a solid recommendation list you got going there, i know you said if you played it on consoles you dont really want to play it on PC again, but in some cases the PC version of a game can be kind of way diffident then its console brother. for example Skyrim is a completely diffrent experience on the PC with all the crazy mods and stuff. Battlefield 3 is also a much diffident game do to the larger player count. So dont right off past games you played on consoles, you might find some new fun in them. also take the Pepsi challenge. the next big game you want to buy, instead of getting it on the console, try getting it on the PC.

Also for great deals on PC games dont just rely souly on Steam. Check Amazon out often too. Amazon can have some really amazing deals and in some cases be even cheaper then the Steam sale. However be warned about buying digital games from Amazon. before buying you should look under the system requirements. if you dont see something like "Requires a Steam/Origin account to play" dont bother buying it. downloading said games from Amazon it self is a fucking nightmare. slow speeds, followed by an all to common problem of data coruption. so keep that in mind.

Happy Hunting

Also to answer your above question Dragon Age on PC is fucking ACE, if your into that kind of RPG. also check out legend of Grimrock

Also check this guy out on Youtube he does a lot of quick look type stuff but all PC only stuff, and he does look at a lot of obscure stuff as well as the mainstream

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.