Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned

Game » consists of 3 releases.

A massive open-world RPG where players could sail the vast seas and discover booty in the Pirates of the Caribbean universe. At least it would have been if the project hadn't been cancelled in late 2010.

Watch Out For Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned

• 86 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

Though I've ridden the ride like eight or nine times, I've never seen any of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. I think I just got caught up in some serious pirate burnout, brought on by too many lame indie rock chicks and all the stupid "YO DOG PIRATES AND NINJAS SHOULD FIGHT" crap that came and went a few years back. That and I guess I haven't really enjoyed anything Johnny Depp has done since Blow. Anyway, with that in mind, it shouldn't surprise you to hear that I wasn't really too keen on checking out the latest game to bear the name, Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned. But this Propaganda-developed action-RPG looks pretty promising and it's set before the films, giving the game a cohesive universe to work with without forcibly strapping its narrative to that of a simple movie. 

Me timbers are shiverin' already. 
    Armada of the Damned is designed as an action-RPG with a combat system that includes basic light and heavy attacks, a pistol that can be worked into combos, blocks and parries on defense, and special moves that require you to fill a meter before they can be deployed. That combat system, along with a lot of other things in the game, are impacted by the moral decisions you make as you quest your way around the high seas. Though it sounds like the game's developers are attempting to make those moral choices less obvious than a simple "are you good or evil" decision-making process, it eventually puts you in the role of a legendary (good) or dreaded (bad) pirate. Your abilities, skill tree, and even the look of your pirate ship are governed by that role. Though I don't normally play the evil path in games unless I'm reviewing them, the dreaded pirate is armed with a gigantic anchor that you bust out during combos. Certain special attacks, such as one that slams the ground and pops enemies up into the air with a surprise geyser of water, make great use of the anchor, as well. Special attacks are governed by a meter that fills as you fight.

Piratas!
    Piratas!
    The quest being shown off at Disney's pre-E3 event had me making my way to the highest point on an island, where an idol needed to be tinkered with. The end choice essentially asks you if you want to keep the idol for yourself or carve your own face onto it. The carving is the "legendary" choice, because even though defacing an item of worship isn't especially "good," you are, after all, still a pirate. The immediate result is that keeping the idol causes the ensuing boss fight to come along with some additional enemies--in this case, creepy-looking crab men. But there's a longer-term impact, as well. Apparently carving your face into the idol gains favor with the locals--since you look just like the thing they pray to--and gives you discounts on local goods. Keeping the idol lets you sell it for a lump of cash... and sends the entire island crashing down until everything of worth is destroyed. It sounds like you'll have to return to this specific island later in the game if you want to truly see the effect your actions caused.

It's just one example, but it was a pretty effective one for the brief time I spent with the game. It sounds like you'll have plenty of other opportunities to shape the world as you see fit and experience a long, twisting narrative. To hear Propaganda's Dan Tudge tell it, there are around three novels' worth of dialogue in the game, or around 180,000 words. I realize that isn't exactly a useful number, since games don't often get broken down into word counts, but hey, that at least sounds big.

All of that action is backed up by a great-looking stylized world that will feature some familiar locations from the films. It'll also feature the open sea, as you'll be able to put together a crew and set sail. Ship combat--including ramming other ships into tiny pieces--will also be a factor, though only the on-foot stuff was on display for this demo. It was certainly enough to leave me interested in seeing more. You'll be able to hit man-sized crab monsters in the face with an anchor yourself this fall on Xbox 360, PC, and PlayStation 3.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff

Though I've ridden the ride like eight or nine times, I've never seen any of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. I think I just got caught up in some serious pirate burnout, brought on by too many lame indie rock chicks and all the stupid "YO DOG PIRATES AND NINJAS SHOULD FIGHT" crap that came and went a few years back. That and I guess I haven't really enjoyed anything Johnny Depp has done since Blow. Anyway, with that in mind, it shouldn't surprise you to hear that I wasn't really too keen on checking out the latest game to bear the name, Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned. But this Propaganda-developed action-RPG looks pretty promising and it's set before the films, giving the game a cohesive universe to work with without forcibly strapping its narrative to that of a simple movie. 

Armada of the Damned is designed as an action-RPG with a combat system that includes basic light and heavy attacks, a pistol that can be worked into combos, blocks and parries on defense, and special moves that require you to fill a meter before they can be deployed. That combat system, along with a lot of other things in the game, are impacted by the moral decisions you make as you quest your way around the high seas. Though it sounds like the game's developers are attempting to make those moral choices less obvious than a simple "are you good or evil" decision-making process, it eventually puts you in the role of a legendary (good) or dreaded (bad) pirate. Your abilities, skill tree, and even the look of your pirate ship are governed by that role. Though I don't normally play the evil path in games unless I'm reviewing them, the dreaded pirate is armed with a gigantic anchor that you bust out during combos. Certain special attacks, such as one that slams the ground and pops enemies up into the air with a surprise geyser of water, make great use of the anchor, as well. Special attacks are governed by a meter that fills as you fight.

Piratas!
    Piratas!
    The quest being shown off at Disney's pre-E3 event had me making my way to the highest point on an island, where an idol needed to be tinkered with. The end choice essentially asks you if you want to keep the idol for yourself or carve your own face onto it. The carving is the "legendary" choice, because even though defacing an item of worship isn't especially "good," you are, after all, still a pirate. The immediate result is that keeping the idol causes the ensuing boss fight to come along with some additional enemies--in this case, creepy-looking crab men. But there's a longer-term impact, as well. Apparently carving your face into the idol gains favor with the locals--since you look just like the thing they pray to--and gives you discounts on local goods. Keeping the idol lets you sell it for a lump of cash... and sends the entire island crashing down until everything of worth is destroyed. It sounds like you'll have to return to this specific island later in the game if you want to truly see the effect your actions caused.

It's just one example, but it was a pretty effective one for the brief time I spent with the game. It sounds like you'll have plenty of other opportunities to shape the world as you see fit and experience a long, twisting narrative. To hear Propaganda's Dan Tudge tell it, there are around three novels' worth of dialogue in the game, or around 180,000 words. I realize that isn't exactly a useful number, since games don't often get broken down into word counts, but hey, that at least sounds big.

All of that action is backed up by a great-looking stylized world that will feature some familiar locations from the films. It'll also feature the open sea, as you'll be able to put together a crew and set sail. Ship combat--including ramming other ships into tiny pieces--will also be a factor, though only the on-foot stuff was on display for this demo. It was certainly enough to leave me interested in seeing more. You'll be able to hit man-sized crab monsters in the face with an anchor yourself this fall on Xbox 360, PC, and PlayStation 3.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By iamjohn

Hooray. 

WHAT THE FUCK WHY DIDN'T I GET IT?

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Crono11

Looks interesting.

@iAmJohn: Did you say first before you edited?

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Aeterna

Wait.. Pirate RPG"s? 

I'm still not expecting anything good from such a title though.

RipAndTear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RipAndTear
    @iAmJohn: 
    Because it's not a video, duder?
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

I am...intrigued O.O

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By dbz1995

Hmm. Didn't expect to be interested by a Pirates of the Caribbean game. Please be local multiplayerific.

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

This isn't news...

Oh wait it's fine, it's Jeff.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By MisterMouse

Sounds pretty cool.

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dystonym

I'm actually pretty excited for this. I imagine if they pull it off right it could be pretty fun.

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By pbhawks45

I remember all publications being super pumped up about Turok, a Propaganda developed game as well.  YO DUDE A T-REX IN MULTIPLAYER.

That gamed turned out to be average in every sense of the word. I hope this is different.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iamjohn
    @crono11: No.
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Dustpan

Color me intrigued.

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By megalowho

piratas? viva piratas?

russcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By russcat

Sounds like this has some potential. I hope Propaganda can pull it off!

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RE_Player1

Cool. After Jeff was talking about this game on the bombcast I became somewhat intrigued. I loved the first Pirates movie and have never played a game about Pirates so this could be my first. 

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RE_Player1
    @pbhawks45: Nothing wrong with average
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

What I've seen of it looks promising. I wan't a fan of the movies (actually, I really disliked them) but this has potential to be a good pirate RPG, which is something that would be awesome, regardless what universe it's set in.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Yummylee

I've got myself one utterly fantastic western...here's hoping an utterly fantastic pirate game can now finally be added into the mix ;P

A_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By A_Dog

I guess this is one of Jeff's many pre-e3 write ups.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Jimbo

Little Known Fact:  The first Pirates of the Caribbean game was also very good.  

It was actually a Sea Dogs game that got renamed at the last minute and had very little else to do with the movie.  It was kinda like Pirates! but with a third-person sword-fighting thing going on - it was actually better than the proper Pirates! remake imo.

Looking forward to this.

Avatar image for posableactionfigure
    PosableActionFigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Until further notice, DO WANT.

Avatar image for wingedlegionary
    wingedlegionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By wingedlegionary

Maybe they can do what Bioware did for KOTOR for Pirates of the Carribean. That'd be cool..

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Pie

Sounds kind of like Fable but bigger and seaer

Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Pudge

So, just to be clear, when you hit the giant crabs, do they take massive damage?

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By armaan8014
    @Muttinus_Rump said:
    " This isn't news...  Oh wait it's fine, it's Jeff. "
    lol
    eljay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By eljay

I see a lot of overview, but am I missing the comments on how well the game actually plays? You explain how combat is structured but I'd like to know how well it actually functions. Is it a God of War clone with hordes of baddies, or are they shooting for something more realistic and slower-paced?

KingOfIceland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By KingOfIceland

Oh wow, so this is the project Dan Tudge left Bioware for? Then colour me STOKED!

grhud5194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By grhud5194

Jeff, I want to know your excuse for why it took you so long to get your write-ups done?

Broitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By Broitman

I think I could rock the hell out of this game, Mass Effect on the high seas, count me in.  

By the by if the term "High Adventure" is not used at least ten times within the game it fails at it's job entirely.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a5cc20e5213
    deactivated-59a5cc20e5213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds interesting. Hated the movies but then again i hate Star Wars and yet KotOR is my all time favorite game :) 

Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Navster

Prates KoTOR? Sign me up!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#33  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

That doesn't sound half bad.  I enjoyed the first Pirates of the Caribbean game too.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By Jeust

One word: Disney. 

Could be good, but a pirate's game made by Disney? I have my doubts. 

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By pbhawks45
    @grhud5194: Not his fault. Embargos, son. Today was probably the first day he could write about it.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By Rhaknar
    @grhud5194 said:
    "

Jeff, I want to know your excuse for why it took you so long to get your write-ups done?

"
    it's called an embargo. Game looks pretty cool actually, and i'm heavy into rpgs again lately (mainly because when you dont have a lot of cash, games that last 30-40 hours are more appealing than the ones that last 8-10 >_>)
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By ImperiousRix

Color me excited.  I'm admittedly a Pirates and a Disney fan, so that's already had me looking at the game.  The fact that it is looking to be pretty damn cool has me even more excited.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Abyssfull said:
    " I've got myself one utterly fantastic western...here's hoping an utterly fantastic pirate game can now finally be added into the mix ;P "
    um..  Monkey Island?  :P
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Yummylee
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @Abyssfull said:
    " I've got myself one utterly fantastic western...here's hoping an utterly fantastic pirate game can now finally be added into the mix ;P "
    um..  Monkey Island?  :P "
    Ok well an utterly fantastic action Pirate game =P
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CL60
    @Jeust said:
    " One word: Disney.  Could be good, but a pirate's game made by Disney? I have my doubts.  "
    It's published by Disney. It's made by Propaganda.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#41  Edited By Jeust
    @CL60 said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " One word: Disney.  Could be good, but a pirate's game made by Disney? I have my doubts.  "
    It's published by Disney. It's made by Propaganda. "
    Nice, still Disney will probably step in in case of anything outside the boundaries of common fairy tales. :(
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By TheHT

If the ship combat is any good, I think I'll be picking this up.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By jkz

I loved the first pirates game too so....count me in!

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Toxin066

I love a good action/RPG. a GOOD action/RPG. Let's hope this is good.

I wanna hear more about ship customization, dubloons, and scurvey before I get my hype on for this.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#45  Edited By Tordah

Hard to form an impression without any gameplay footage, but who knows? There's always a change it will be one of the few good licensed games.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JoelTGM

I want to see some gameplay footage of this.

and I just realized, the devs are in Vancouver BC.  I live on Vancouver island heh.

Fury283

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Fury283

Huh... well then...

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MichaelBach

Is this an openworld pirate game then??

TheEvilAlex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TheEvilAlex

Are you sure it's this fall Jeff, every other preview says next year??
    Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is about as close as ill ever get to super tactical space combat, so if it turns out well ill probably get it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.