Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PlayStation 3 to soon emulate PlayStation 2 games?

• 150 results
    choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By choffy21

Read this on Kotaku. Sony has filed a patent that would allow every PlayStation 3 to emulate all PlayStation 2 games. Sounds good.

Awesome if true.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_A_Drain

What the hell do you mean awesome? Surely you mean, about fucking time seeing as they promised full PS2 compatability from the start...

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By choffy21
    @The_A_Drain: Sony has developed a reputation (in my book) for not bothering to make consumers happy. No price drop. Broken promises. Lackluster first-party games.

Besides, they did have full PS2 compatibility in two of the six versions of the console that have come out. 33% ain't bad...
    Sick_J0ke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Sick_J0ke

Yea, now if only I could somehow load the saves from my ps2 memory card onto a ps3 than I'd be set. 

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TwoOneFive
    whatever, it will be awesome if they start releasing PS2 games on PSN. 
    I want all the metal gear games on my ps3!!!
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TwoOneFive
    whatever, it will be awesome if they start releasing PS2 games on PSN. 
    I want all the metal gear games on my ps3!!!
    choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By choffy21
    @TwoOneFive: Really? I didn't know you were in to paying again for games that you already bought.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @choffy21 said:
    "@The_A_Drain: Sony has developed a reputation (in my book) for not bothering to make consumers happy. No price drop. Broken promises. Lackluster first-party games.

Besides, they did have full PS2 compatibility in two of the six versions of the console that have come out. 33% ain't bad...
    "

Not for Europe, we got software emulation from day one, then we lost that after like, 4 months.
    choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By choffy21
    @The_A_Drain: Oh. God bless America.

No Caption Provided

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @choffy21:

... Anyway...

I don't think releasing PS2 games over PSN is a bad idea, provided I can play the ones I already own on a disc. That way they can make a packet releasing all those RPGs that are up on ebay for extortionate prices, i'd buy those seeing as I don't already have (all of)  them,
    zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11  Edited By zyn

I read that story earlier and my thoughts: YUS!!!  There have been times when I wanted to play some PS2 games but couldn't be assed to take out and plug in my PS2.  Hopefully, the dream will become reality.

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By choffy21
    @The_A_Drain: As it stands now though, you can't play the ones you already have now (if you buy a PS3 now) so it's useless.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @choffy21 said:
    " @The_A_Drain: Sony has developed a reputation (in my book) for not bothering to make consumers happy. No price drop. Broken promises. Lackluster first-party games.

"
    When something is promised. Say backwards compatibility  then yes 33% is bad.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @choffy21:

No I mean, if they use this tech to release PS2 games on PSN for download, I wouldn't have a problem with that provided I could indeed play the ones I already own from the disc as well.
    choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By choffy21
    @The_A_Drain: Then what would be the point of releasing PS2 games on PSN?
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Red

I have an early 80gigger, so I'm fine, and don't really care about this.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Insectecutor
    Here's the patent for anyone interested. Thanks Siliconera, Kotaku, Joystiq, and every other outlet for not bothering to provide links to the source.

After a quick scan through there's no question that this is indeed the latest patent in a long line of emulation patents from Sony.
    _Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By _Phara0h_

This would be great but probably part of their 10 year plan like the trophy room in home.

So expect this to launch when the ps2 are of the shelfs....

BTW I would really love to have this because I never played Ico, Shadow of Colossus and God of war 1 and 2.
    I know I shouldn't have sold my ps2 that I got for free.....

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By angelkanarias

I am gussing it is not true, I don't think a PS3 is able to play a PS2 game. but I am not an engineer.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By angelkanarias
    @choffy21:  
    No Caption Provided
    Europe FTW

Dovey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Dovey

The PS3 is the first Playstation investment I have made so it is welcome news to hear this no matter how they go about doing it.  I would love to play Shadow of the Colossus and the God of War games and also the ever, growing in popularity, Giant Bomb cult classic, Persona 4.  

Having said that though... this thread should really not exist because I should have played them by now.  *sigh* better late then never I guess...
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By get2sammyb

Guess what guys. I have a Playstation 2 emulator too. It's called a Playstation 2. I put it on my desk next to my Playstation 3. It's amazing because I can play Playstation 3 games and Playstation 2 games. Who would have thought?

No Caption Provided
    What an amazing solution to backwards compatability. I hear you can buy one for like $30 off eBay.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By VWGTI
    @get2sammyb:

Amen, brother.
    Dooops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24  Edited By Dooops

This is amazing news for someone like me. I only got back into console gaming at the end of last gen and I had gotten an xbox for modding reasons ;P  I missed the entire PS1 generation as well because I was hooked to Everquest and that was the only thing that existed. With this being said, once I get a PS3 if I had backwards compatibility for both PS2 and PS1..... oh god. My game queue is huge lol.  Luckily I have a 15 month old son so I will try to experience the past gems with him once he is able to play games :)

Clubvodka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Clubvodka

I borrowed my girlfriend's dad's PS2 just for Persona 3 and 4, now I have it I might catch up on all the ps2 games I missed because I was in love with the dreamcast/xbox. Sucks I couldn't just play it on my PS3 but if anyone is really dying to play a PS2 game (I know I want the new Silent Hill) the PS2 is cheap enough.

I wasn't that fussed about the 360's BC. There's something nice about getting an old console to play old games. More authentic.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lashe

This is the best news I have heard all day. I think I might cry

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lashe

This is the best news I have heard all day. I think I might cry

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tebbit
    @Sick_J0ke: You can buy an adapter for like $20, one end is a memory card slot, and the other goes into the USB mini-b that you have to charge controllers with. You only really need to use it once so I chucked mine once i'd got all my old PS1 and PS2 cards on to the PS3. Pretty good though.

Also, while I have a console that is capable of BC, I still really like the idea of PS2 games being released on PSN, that'd be great.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mordukai
    @get2sammyb said:
    " Guess what guys. I have a Playstation 2 emulator too. It's called a Playstation 2. I put it on my desk next to my Playstation 3. It's amazing because I can play Playstation 3 games and Playstation 2 games. Who would have thought?

No Caption Provided
    What an amazing solution to backwards compatability. I hear you can buy one for like $30 off eBay. "
    LOL. What an awesome answer. 
    slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By slinky6

I hope they make it so it can run Persona 4 without it being all glitchy.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @get2sammyb said:
    " Guess what guys. I have a Playstation 2 emulator too. It's called a Playstation 2. I put it on my desk next to my Playstation 3. It's amazing because I can play Playstation 3 games and Playstation 2 games. Who would have thought?

No Caption Provided
    What an amazing solution to backwards compatability. I hear you can buy one for like $30 off eBay. "
    yep you guys! why are you being all pissy? get2sammyB has a point go out and spend your money on something that was promised and toted as ps3's biggest hype point *100% BC with ps2 and ps1 games* You have no right to be pissy go out and buy a ps2 theres absolutely no reason for you not to buy a ps2 not money, not space concerns, not simple honor that sony promised 100% BC with ps1 and ps2 games and then cut ps2 bc out in what a year?
    Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Wolverine
    @choffy21 said:
    " @The_A_Drain: Sony has developed a reputation (in my book) for not bothering to make consumers happy. No price drop. Broken promises. Lackluster first-party games.

"
    Speaking of broken promises, when am I going to be able to use seven controllers on my PS3?
    darkspirit138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By darkspirit138

Deja vu. I sold all my Playstation games before I had found out all the games were PS2 compatible, and I have now sold all my PS2 games (bar a handful) before finding this out.

darkspirit138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By darkspirit138

Deja vu. I sold all my Playstation games before I had found out all the games were PS2 compatible, and I have now sold all my PS2 games (bar a handful) before finding this out.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The_A_Drain

@Wolverine said:

"@choffy21 said:

"
    Speaking of broken promises, when am I going to be able to use seven controllers on my PS3?
    "

Did they ever actually promise that? I dont remember, I just thought there was an article stating that the hardware inside the PS3 can support 7 controllers (And the Wii 9 or something ridiculous) at once.

@WilliamRLBaker:

Careful now, sarcasm is hard to detect over the internet :P But yes, I agree 100%, it can be 3$ for all I care, and I will likely keep my PS2 even when buying a PS3, but to concur with WilliamRLBaker, that's not the fucking point. We were promised it, it was touted as a huge advantage over the Xbox 360.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @get2sammyb said:

No Caption Provided
    Dude - i forgot how damn sexy the ps2 looked!
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By subject2change
    @Sick_J0ke said:
    " Yea, now if only I could somehow load the saves from my ps2 memory card onto a ps3 than I'd be set.  "
    you can...they make PS2/PS1 Memory card readers to USB and you can copy it to your hard drive/virtual PS2 memory card.

And weee I can continue not  buying digital games and shelling out more money for a physical copy cause physical collection > digital.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ninjakiller

Another article can be found here.

Aquinas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Aquinas
    @dcpc10 said:
    " @Red said:
    " I have an early 80gigger, so I'm fine, and don't really care about this. "
    Same here, and besides, if people wanna play PS2 games so badly, then why not buy a PS2? The PS3 already plays PS3, PS1, Blu-Ray, DVDs, CDs, SD cards, etc., that's more than enough. "
    Because Sony promised full double backwards BC on the PS3.  I don't think we need to be defending a multi-billion dollar corporation that made a promise and failed to deliver.
    Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Giantsquirrel

I have backwards compatibility already, so I'm not concerned about this, but did anyone not see this coming? Of course they were going to do it eventually, and probably around the same time that the PS2 started to croak.

BlazBleu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BlazBleu

Let's hope it's true. I really wanna play Persona 4.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By get2sammyb
    @WilliamRLBaker: Dude chill. You all wanted the price lower. Sacrifices were made. Sacrifices were made but still the price isn't low enough and nor is the feature set "as promised". Some people are so fucking ridiculous. I appreciate in an ideal world the Playstation 2 should work in the PS3, but hey it doesn't. In an ideal world the 360 wouldn't be so loud and crap out after a few years, the Wii remote would have had MotionPlus from the get-go and the world wouldn't be in a recession. Etc. etc.

It's ridiculous. You can't have everything. There's no denying the Playstation 3 would be better if it had PS2 emulation, could plug into your mind and costed just £0.25. A neat concept -- but one that's never going to happen. So just deal with it. Clearly this news suggests Sony ARE looking into ways to make that Playstation 2 emulation possible, so just take it at face value and keep your old PS2 for now. It's not really hard.

And if you don't have a PS2. Well you could wait and see if Sony make any announcements in the near future on emulation, borrow a friends system or buy one really cheap off eBay. No, they're not perfect solutions, but they're solutions that work. And if you REALLY want "emulation" that much, it's something you'll be willing to look into.

Otherwise people are just looking to complain.
    Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Keeng

People love bitching...

First off, Sony promised that all PS3s at launch would be 100% backward compatible. By show of hands, how many people here bought a PS3 at launch? How many of you with your hands raised had BC in those PS3s? Promise kept.

Second, you can move your files from a PS2 memory card to a PS3. You buy a converter that costs $5 in stores (likely less online since my $5 one was purchased in a store the week after PS3 came out). 

Third, and this wasn't even a fucking promise, but you can use seven controllers on PS3 at the same time. Blame the lack of games supporting the feature if none of your games allow more than four local players. I've done it several times in games like NBA 2k7-8, Rock Band, and most recently Bomberman Ultra. Plus, those of you who aren't dumbasses may have noticed that if you go to controller settings in the PS button menu, you can assign a controller to any slot from 1-7!

get2sammyb provided a perfect solution. In addition to what he said, if you were that into PS2 games, why didn't/don't you have a PS2 anyway?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mordukai
    @get2sammyb said:
    " @WilliamRLBaker: Dude chill. You all wanted the price lower. Sacrifices were made. Sacrifices were made but still the price isn't low enough and nor is the feature set "as promised". Some people are so fucking ridiculous. I appreciate in an ideal world the Playstation 2 should work in the PS3, but hey it doesn't. In an ideal world the 360 wouldn't be so loud and crap out after a few years, the Wii remote would have had MotionPlus from the get-go and the world wouldn't be in a recession. Etc. etc.It's ridiculous. You can't have everything. There's no denying the Playstation 3 would be better if it had PS2 emulation, could plug into your mind and costed just £0.25. A neat concept -- but one that's never going to happen. So just deal with it. Clearly this news suggests Sony ARE looking into ways to make that Playstation 2 emulation possible, so just take it at face value and keep your old PS2 for now. It's not really hard.And if you don't have a PS2. Well you could wait and see if Sony make any announcements in the near future on emulation, borrow a friends system or buy one really cheap off eBay. No, they're not perfect solutions, but they're solutions that work. And if you REALLY want "emulation" that much, it's something you'll be willing to look into.Otherwise people are just looking to complain. "
    And here it is. get2sammyb pretty much ended this discussion. 
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By JJOR64

If this can be an add-on you can download, I'll be happy.

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ververdan0226

I can play PS2 games on my 80 GB, but so far the framerate on some of them is really dodgy. Would this help improve my system's playback, or would it be just for people that don't have it at all?

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Tiwi

dudes be warned, the PS3 internal memory card corrupts files. save twice if you are giong to use it.
    i own a 60 gig with BWC and i got 2/3 through persona 4 and when i got back the next day all the files were corrupted.
    save twice.

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By cc23574

About fucking time.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mordukai

I have a feeling it will be one of the features they are working on for Firmware 3.0. 

Inf225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Inf225

Im so excited about this, my ps2 is about dead and I really wanna play Persona 3 again...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.