Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Is live Gold worth it?

• 64 results
    sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#1  Edited By sarahsdad

I've just recently bought a 360 (updated from a ps2), and since my free month of live gold is running out soon, I'm trying to decide if it's worth it.

I've never been particularly into online gaming, but then I've usually had a Mac, or the PS2, so not really a wonderland of online opportunities there.

I tend to like story-driven and rpg-ish games; witness my first purchases or Orange Box, BioShock, and MassEffect, of which MassEffect has held the most time so far.

I have Netflix, so there's the streaming, but the selection tends to be skimpy, and mostly stuff I already have.

The 40 or 50 bucks for a year isn't really a lot, but on the other hand, it's also a couple of good used games from sometime in the last few years, or the better part of a new one.

Anyone out there who didn't go for a full Gold subscription right away, and ended up getting one a few months latter?

Or is the occasional monthly card a better deal?

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I would say it's worth it. Personally, I don't really play games online much either anymore, but it's still nice to have that option whenever I want it. Plus you get access to the XBox Live Marketplace and everything, so that's a bonus. I also believe you're saving a heck of a lot of money getting 1 year of Live for $50. Okay, just did some research. It's $8 for 1 month of Gold, if you're paying month by month for a whole year, you're looking at $96. Let's say you just pay for it every other month, so for just 6 months you're paying $48. I think you're better off just paying for the whole year for $50. But hey, ultimately, it's up to you.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Gizmo

Yes, get Live.

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ShadowKiller

Considering it's only around 50-60 dollars for a year then I'd definitely get it. It's worth it just connecting with friends and for the marketplace (And who knows, maybe you'll pick up a game and you'll want to co-op with a friend).

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

I bought my Xbox 360 in July and let my gold account run out. I'm not into online gaming, so I didn't think it would be cost effective for me. The only reason I would like to have it back is for the demos, now I have to wait until they're released to silver accounts. I'm not planning on getting gold anytime soon, but I never say never, it only takes one game.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Not for me.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Hexpane

If you  have
    PS3
    PC

you dont need XBLG

If you dont have PS3 or PC  you have no choice, that is Microsoft's cash cow.  They charge people for crappy lag fest peer2peer gaming

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#8  Edited By Vinchenzo

Totally worth it, especially once you build up a friend's list and are always in parties.

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By chronicsmoke

100% worth it

TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TEAMHOLT

It's not perfect, but I'd rather pay for Live than be stuck with something more akin to PSN.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    You said, you had a month free subscription. Surely even for the inept, thats enough time spent to contrive a decision.
    BananaHammock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By BananaHammock

I would. What i did was just buy 2 years and then I never had to worry about it again. It doesn't even feel like im paying for it.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By KingBroly

If you get an Xbox 360, you pretty much have to get get Gold.  It's sad, but it is the truth.  That's the only way you'll enjoy the system.

Woffls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Woffls

If you don't play online much, just don't bother.
    "the only way you'll enjoy the system" that's complete bullshit. If you don't play games online it doesn't make a damn bit of difference whether you have it or not. I don't have Gold, and i play my 360 all the time. It really does depend how much you want to play online, not a case of whether it's good value for money.

wetMutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wetMutt

I used to think live was a waste... I always argued that PS is free... but there are plenty of benefits to Live Gold.
    For one, you can avoid players who are douchebags,... they can't just go change their name and come back into a room... unless they have 800 ms points to throw away on a name change. And even if they do, I think it still links to avoidance with their profile.
    Plus, the interface and connectivity between you and your friends is pretty intuitive...IMO

Also, its only 50 bucks for a year... figuring out if the monetary value is equal to your play time is a bit more conveluted... the average price per month for the annual membership is 4.16 a month... less than a pack of cigs or a couple hours driving around aimlessly...:D

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NoDeath

The only time I'd say don't is if you play a lot of PC games online and don't think you'd use it and event then It's not that expencive and its the best console online experience.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pause422

If you're going to be playing online on the 360 a lot then you would definitely need it, if not, no it isn't.

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
    MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By MasturbatingBear

Its really cheap but with that you get so many extra benefits. Its really worth it even if you never play live.

steelharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By steelharrison

Seriously, just get live  It does cost a little bit but as you stated not that much. You are getting the best online service personally I think it is worth it. Expand your live expirence renew it

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

You should get it, but you need the network adapter thing, it's like around $100. Don't buy the Pelican brand one because my friend bought it and it will kick you off sometimes.

HiroSeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HiroSeven

I had the same question about a few months ago, I actually was able to bypass my free live gold membership somehow... So I never got to see it in light as a trial basis. I got curious as to how games would work with all those online options I could not pick with my silver account so I eventually upgraded to Gold and basically starting playing online for the first time.

At first I was kinda nervous to play against real people around the world, but it turned out that I didn't suck too much so I ended up finding a new style of play in online gaming... Having said that I haven't played an online game for a while because of... things.

-hiro

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Meowayne

It's not worth the money, but since Microsoft keeps screwing with Silver members, you will end off with a gold subscription.

I don't think you will regret paying for Gold - But if you don't pay Microsoft for XBL, you have my highest respect. :) The more silver members, the better.

tangingt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tangingt

live is worth $50 a year. i came from ps2 to 360 and didn't play online much and didn't think it was worth it. but once you get a good group of peps on your friends list its makes it worth it..

MadMatr07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MadMatr07

Worth every penny, if you have friends with LIVE as well.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sarahsdad

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to drop down one level on my Netflix, and get the year of gold. I spend enough more time playing now than watching movies, it should all balance out.

Peace

Avatar image for your_mom_stinks
    Your_Mom_Stinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Your_Mom_Stinks

I would say so, if you get it , shop amazon. You can usually find it there for under 30 bones.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By RHCPfan24

YES.

It is worth it.

Demos, friends, random crap to download, MULTIPLAYER, everything else, makes it worth it.
    sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sarahsdad
    Your_Mom_Stinks said:
    "I would say so, if you get it , shop amazon. You can usually find it there for under 30 bones."
    Sweet, thanks for the heads up. saved 10.00 over the normal price.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By End_Boss
    Gizmo said:
    "Yes, get Live."

Roger that.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By crunchUK
    Jesus_Juice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jesus_Juice
    ElectricHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ElectricHaggis

If you prefer to play single-player games, it probably isn't worth it, unless you want demos earlier or whatever.  I usually don't have gold, much for the same reasons that made you consider it to be unnecessary.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By maxszy

Completely worthwhile.

Granted I play a lot of multiplayer Call of Duty but I didn't used to. The Netflix streaming makes it worth it in my opinion. Sometimes you'll find hidden gems on their instant streaming. Plus even if they have things that you already own on there, being able to quickly switch to it on Netflix beats having the get the disk out. Sure its a lazy factor but its nice.

Also being able to get demos right when they come to XBL is great. I wouldn't make it a huge buying feature because then you'll feel "you are paying for demos" but its a nice option. Also being able to join all sorts of partys with friends to chat and whatnot.

I also am a big singleplayer gamer. Fable 2, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Oblivion and so forth. Love RPGs and love single - player experiences. But without live, you feel disconnected from the 360 LIVE community. Does to me anyway. Just a thought.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By ProfessorEss

Maybe I don't value money in the same way others do, maybe I have more than some, maybe my priorities are different but if you ever go out to a movie, or eat at a restaurant I think it's hard to justify not paying for XBox Live. If I even only played multiplayer, say, five times in a year I'd still consider 10 dollars a session money well spent.

Five bucks a month. That's half a movie ticket, two cups of coffee, a pint of beer, or an appetizer - easily justifiable to me. :)

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By Chummy8
    lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By lebkin

To me, the real value of Xbox Live is the ability to play with my friends.  I use mine almost exclusively to play with friends, especially co-op games.  So part of your evaluation should be whether or not you have friends to play with.  For example, Left 4 Dead alone has made it worth having Live.  My wife and I play split-screen on my system, while my brother and brother-in-law connect through Live.  Nothing beats being able to play that game with four friends.  Totally worth it.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

It really depends.  To me, my XBL fee is typically what I consider a Halo 3 subscription that also lets me play other games online.
    If you only play those other games, then it might not be worth it (what those others are for you).

But don't pay $50 for it. You have a whole year to shop around for it.  Amazon has itfor $30 as we speak

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

* looks at his 26 months worth of xbox live cards he got for 60 bux* thats right 30 dollars each:) thats cheap.

JPeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JPeps

Yes is it, and you can get it for half price on amazon right now. When it works well without any hicups its awesome. and there really hasn't been any latly after all the new patching. if you like playing games online with friends then its great.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By Karmum

Is paying a year $50 really that big of a deal? If your an online console gamer (like me), you will probably think its worth it. If your the casual gamer in which online playing isn't a necessity, well, neither would be Xbox Live. I think Xbox Live is worth it, considering I'm online almost 3-4 days a week. If you play online money often and have the friends who play online too, it is worth shelling out the $50 a month. Or perhaps try and hunt for $5 Xbox Live 12-Month boxes from the original Xbox.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42  Edited By kush

I think it's absolutely worth the money, especially when the $30-40 deals tend to come around often...even the regular price of $50 is fine in my eyes. You pay that small price for 13 months of great service...I don't see a problem with that at all.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jayge_
    ProfessorEss said:
    "Maybe I don't value money in the same way others do, maybe I have more than some, maybe my priorities are different but if you ever go out to a movie, or eat at a restaurant I think it's hard to justify not paying for XBox Live. If I even only played multiplayer, say, five times in a year I'd still consider 10 dollars a session money well spent.

Five bucks a month. That's half a movie ticket, two cups of coffee, a pint of beer, or an appetizer - easily justifiable to me. :)
    "
    It's more like $3.86 a month for a normal $50 13-month card, and with the recent insane $30 for 13 deal it's about $2.30.
    Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Verdugo

Uh...yeah it is.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Why don't you try playing something online. Try Halo or COD 4. If you don't like either of those, then  maybe you shouldn't get live.

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Sushbag

No.

AmigoSniped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AmigoSniped

I say there are more reasons to buy a gold membership then to not buy a gold membership. For someone like you who is not totally into online games some things you would enjoy is partys that are very nice and convient. You get access to some killer demos soon RE5 and Halo Wars. Just having the option to play online is nice. But if you dont have gold you can only talk to one other person and cant just jump into a another game.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By sarahsdad

FWIW, I did end up getting a 12 +1 month card from Amazon for a little over 30.00 about a week after I started this thread. I've sunk probably 80~90% of my game time so far into Mass Effect (just started 2nd playthrough), and Bioshock and HL2 aren't really multiplayer games either. I've got Ghostbusters on pre-order, and I'm hoping that it'll have some online (co-op pleasepleaseplease).

In the meantime, I've been making really good use of the streaming netflix to catch up on old Dr. Who's and such. For me that's been the biggest value so far, being able to skip around between what would have been one disc and another.

And yeah. I have my fingers crossed that the RE5 demo will be freaking sweet.
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Pibo47
    Hexpane said:
    "If you  have
    PS3
    PC

you dont need XBLG

If you dont have PS3 or PC  you have no choice, that is Microsoft's cash cow.  They charge people for crappy lag fest peer2peer gaming"
    Epic phail troll epicly phail's.

End_Boss said:
    "Gizmo said:
    "Yes, get Live."

Roger that."
    Agreed.
    bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By bombHills

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.