Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

Officially lost interest in Borderlands

• 71 results
    kerikxi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By kerikxi

Sorry, but with Brad's news post today about the trading system basically being nonexistant, I've lost any and all interest in playing this game. This is Phantasy Star Online with first person shooting, as far as the loot is handled. A boss dies, and everybody will immediately spam the corpse pressing X or whatever to grab any and all loot he drops. Someone is in the corner smashing boxes and taking loot while everyone else fights and dies. Trading is practically impossible without getting scammed or trolled.

Seriously, a game built around piles and piles of loot, and you completely neglected to think about how these issues affect the player experience? I'm gone. For all they talked about their influences, they apparently failed to learn some critical lessons.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

Damn, sounds like pigs to a trough.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64

Well, don't play the game then if you don't want to.

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Crixaliz

They will probably patch in some sort of fix after the complaints start rolling in

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By vidiot

Yeah, I read that and it doesn't sound good or workable at all. Let's hope this obvious error doesn't overshadow the rest of the gameplay experience. 

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By ImperiousRix

I'm certain they'll at least attempt to remedy this before the game is released, but to see that it wasn't like... on their list of priorities is frankly kind of dumb.  I wasn't planning on playing with strangers, but still, my friends can be assholes, too.
    Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

That's why you play with three other people that you can beat senselessly if they do that.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By AthleticShark

That is a really small and stupid reason. Your bound to get better loot anyways.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By rjayb89

Maybe it'll be assigned drops?  I don't know.  Like a few duders shootin' up some other duder, the loot cycles between the dudes who shot the dude?

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Akeldama
    @HellBound said:
    " That is a really small and stupid reason. Your bound to get better loot anyways. "
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By delta_ass

Seems a non-issue for singleplayer though.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By TheMustacheHero

There's a bajillion guns, why would you want to trade it when you will probably get something better in the next 10 minutes?

ProjektGill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ProjektGill

I'm happy I have 2 other friends that are also hyped about this game so I will be able to go 3 player co-op. Screw the 4th character. You can always make a thread here on Giant Bomb when the game comes out and try to make teams which may go better than just signing onto XBL or PSN and trying to find a game with random people.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187

Roll with friends.  If you don't have friends, then play something else. 

@TheMustacheHero said:

" There's a bajillion guns, why would you want to trade it when you will probably get something better in the next 10 minutes? "
    ...and this.
    Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By Gunner

This isnt an MMO.. Its primarily a single player game.

Its also not nearly as loot dependent as your making it out to be, the only thing you can get loot wise is guns as far as we know, it wont be as big of an issue as your making it out to be.

Budster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Budster
    @kerikxi: if you get for the PC and partner up with me I'll be rational on the loot ;)
    jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By jonnyboy

We only play splitscreen with friends, and if he tries to pull any of that shit, I'll kick him in his nad-bag as hard as I can with my Level 38 boot.

tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By tactis

I dont know honestly i wonder how much i am gonna be trading with people or really how much i am gonna be playing with people online to start with.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EvilTwin
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " There's a bajillion guns, why would you want to trade it when you will probably get something better in the next 10 minutes? "
    Well, the point of loot games is to eventually get "end game" gear.  So at a certain point, you might not always find something better.
    hsvlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hsvlad

Maybe theres no trade interface for all the bad reasons people have been talking about. Maybe they want people to be able to screw each other over during some kind of trade. It doesn't sound like it'd be a nice thing to have happen to you but it would certainly add to the whole dangerous wasteland theme. I certainly can't see myself trading all that much with people I don't know online, I only really play co-op with people I actually know, but I can see myself screwing some of my friends over as being pretty funny

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheHBK

dude we dont even know how bad it will be.  Besides, the best loot is that which you find yourself.  Like any other single player game.  Plus like they said, play with trustworthy people.  We can all set up a thread to list our gamertags and play with each other here.  Or play with friends.  With the game being co-op i think its natural to play with friends.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Damian

I'm surprised by these reactions to what I barely consider a knock against a game, let alone a deal breaker.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @EvilTwin said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    Well, the point of loot games is to eventually get "end game" gear.  So at a certain point, you might not always find something better. "
    By that point I think the game would be finished and there would be no point in having the best thing, besides, if someone had the best gear why would they be trading it?
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By demonbear

I understand where the OP is coming from. Im worried about this also. Im still gonna buy it but shipping a game without a trade system is a mistake Hellgate London did. Just sayin'.

For me, i am not the kind of guy who likes to ninja loot the drops on a boss, its stupid. Therefore I too, an quite worried about this. Maybe this aint Gearbox's final answer.

I'm quite surprised theres not even a thread about this on their official forum. Its an important issue about a loot-based game.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Driadon

Gearbox has stressed that this is a shooter before it's an RPG. This along means that loot, though varied and interesting, won't be nearly as vital as most people are making it out to be.  I doubt there will be much "OMGZ THIS GUN IS BETTAR THAN ALL OF J00S!" when, really, which gun you use is more dependent on what you want it to do rather than straight stats.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By demonbear
    @Driadon: Stop that, you're making me want to skip this game totally!
    JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JokerClown88

Ill wait for a patch.
    ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By ieatlions
    @Intercryllic said:
    " This is Borderlands, not Phantasy Star Online. If someone betrays you, put a bullet between his eyes. "
    Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Metroid545
    @OwnlyUzinWonHan said:
    " That's why you play with three other people that you can beat senselessly if they do that. "
    thats what i'm doing at least, already got a party together
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @Intercryllic said:
    " This is Borderlands, not Phantasy Star Online. If someone betrays you, put a bullet between his eyes. "
    Damn straight- them wastelands arent a fair place! rule with your gun dammit
    intercryllic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By intercryllic
    @OmegaPirate: OUTLANDER! IN ORDER TO PASS, YOU MUST OFFER A TRIBUTE OF 10,000 GUNS!

*BANG*

WHOOO
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @Intercryllic said:
    " @OmegaPirate: OUTLANDER! IN ORDER TO PASS, YOU MUST OFFER A TRIBUTE OF 10,000 GUNS!  *BANG*  WHOOO "
    But i only have 8,000 and this half a mule i picked up a couple of miles back 

awwwww :'(
    Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lashe

Yep. I'll play with close friends, or members of the GB community as there seems to be enough interest for a good user base from here. 

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HandsomeDead

I'll shed a solitary tear for this tonight.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#36  Edited By Atlas

It's funny to me that people seem to be approaching Borderlands the same way they would be approaching an MMO or Diablo. I will play Borderlands for the single player, and maybe play with friends online. I feel like people are getting too worked up on this issue. Sure, it's something that Gearbox should have thought out from the start, but the game isn't finished yet, and even if it does ship like this they could always patch it.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By Vorbis

The loot system is what made PSO so great. Because there were so many scammers and theives it lead to some of the best gaming communites ever, secretly playing on deserted lobbys with a group of people. I'm still in daily contact with several friends made from PSO.

Rhea 8 best.

Not saying I agree with leaving it out, but I can live with free for all.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#38  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

When I heard about this on the Bombcast I never assumed that the final game would actually be released with some kind of free-for-all looting system. I'm sure they'll have some kind of revised version of what they have now in the actual final release, if not an actual trade system, then at least player-assigned drops. Even if they don't revise the system then is that really reason enough to not buy the game? I mean what you're really complaining about is that you won't get most of the loot deserved when you are playing online with people who aren't your friends.

The_Bumble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The_Bumble

That's dumb. The lack of a decent trade mechanic may suck, but Borderlands still looks amazing. Is that really all it takes to make you lose interest? I mean it looks like single player is the main focus of this game anyway. 

It would be badass though, is if you could use the random duel thing to wager your guns. 

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By toowalrus

Sorry to hear that you don't have any friends man, that's a bummer :-(

Domdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Domdog

Yeah, but who's really playing this game with random ass people? You gotta have 2 or 3 Xbox buddies getting it, so items won't be a problem, I'm sure they figured that would be the majority of people getting the game anyways. If not, it may come in a patch, or hell, maybe the version they played wasn't done yet.

chamin1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By chamin1
    @EvilTwin: That's not true at all, the whole point of the game is that it eliminates the idea of end game gear, that the possibilities are endless even after you've beaten the game. I'm not worried about the trading thing at all, I've never really traded with people before in an mmo so I don't think I really will in this game. It would be nice if they gave you the option to trade, but the omission of that option is a small annoyance nothing more, I still plan to but this game, and for the 360 because I'm willing to sacrifice a small down grade in frame rate and graphic quality so that I can play split screen, I'm not that into online coop.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#43  Edited By sjschmidt93

Kindof like LBP sortof. 

Your working together but fighting over the points (in this case, loot).

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By EvilTwin
    @chamin1:  Even if there were no weapons in the game that were hand crafted by Gearbox, which I don't necessarily believe, that still doesn't mean there aren't higher level weapons you get off of higher level enemies that are better than most others.  Hence, end game gear. 
    chamin1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By chamin1
    @EvilTwin: Hey if you don't want the game, don't get it, but I probably will, I've already put 46 bucks into the pre order.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By jakob187
    @EvilTwin said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    Well, the point of loot games is to eventually get "end game" gear.  So at a certain point, you might not always find something better. "
    The other thing you can notice is that THERE ARE OVER 3 MILLION GUNS!!!  If you look at WoW for instance, you won't get the gear on your first time around.  Also, most end game gear is BoP, which means that even if they DID pick it up, then you aren't going to be able to trade it off in any way.  MOREOVER, end game gear is typically set up with stats for certain classes.  Therefore, I don't see what good it's going to do someone when they swipe a piece of gear that they can't use and will probably sell for next to nothing.  =  / 

In the end, people are making far too big of a deal about this...and as far as end game stuff goes...dood, the game is LAUNCHING next month.  It's gonna be at least a couple of weeks before someone hits end gear stuff...I would assume.
    hpv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47  Edited By hpv

Then you'd be missing out big time.  I'm not sure I've ever been so impressed with a game after 20 minutes as I was with Borderlands.  I'm extremely tempted to say I was even more blown away than I was by Super Mario 64, but it's hard to say for sure since the Toys R Us wasn't rocking a kickass soundtrack and a giant crowd.  And crazy ass automatic shotguns weren't dropping left and right out of goombas.  This game is SICK, son!

If you're worried about people stealing all the drops just play with your buddies.  You'll have more fun with friends anyway.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Systech
    @Intercryllic said:
    Couldn't have said it any better.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By Pie

I pie have thought of a solution! Make duels compulsory within 1 minute of a high level loot pick up. Actually someone would just win more and more and more until they are undefeatable but whatever

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee489577a60c
    deactivated-5ee489577a60c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not worried at all. Gearbox has said that the DLC that will be coming out is going to be made based on what the players ask for the most, so I think that a trading system will be implemented quickly after release.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.