• 77 results
#1 Posted by Matthew (1910 posts) -
#2 Edited by Matthew (1910 posts) -

I'm not asking what game is the best. I'm asking what game would you play first, be it for the first time, or just to revisit some old (bettter?) times?

Previous years are here - 95, 96, 97, 98, 99

I've gotta say, I'm a sucker for all things Star Wars. TIE Fighter and the joystick times take over my gaming time for now. It was a close fight with System Shock, but George had me by the balls at this time, and he earned it at that time. And all credit this year goes to Jazz Jackrabbit for introducing the world to Young Clifford.

#3 Posted by Witzig (326 posts) -

Tie fighter!!!!! What a great game, really the only game I played in the 90's.

#4 Posted by McGhee (6091 posts) -

Donkey Kong Country. I might say Earthworm Jim, but I always liked the idea of playing that game more than actually playing that game.

#5 Posted by MikkaQ (10224 posts) -

Man I'd be playing some TIE Fighter, or Marathon.

Though I do like me some MKII and Darkstalkers.

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (34578 posts) -

X-COM, because ArbitraryWater is probably watching me.

#7 Posted by jewunit (1051 posts) -

At the time, I think I played Earthworm Jim the most. If I could choose one to play now, it would probably be Darkstalkers or Super Metroid.

#8 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -

X-com or System Shock.

#9 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Doom II the very first game I ever played seriously and beaten 

so many good memories. so many nightmares.

#10 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

I had X-Wing vs Tie Fighter :D

It would be between Donkey Kong Country and Super Metroid. 

In fact I'm dying to play both of them right now.

#11 Posted by D0tti (786 posts) -

DKC and Super Metroid are my most memorable games from that year. I voted for DKC cause it's a game I can play any time and still have a blast(same goes for Super Metroid, but i'm a bigger fan of the early DKC games).

#12 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

I was one in 1994!
Donkey Kong Country, one of the only games I've played. I've been meaning to play System Shock, but I don't know where to get it.

#13 Posted by Jimbo (9708 posts) -

Lords of the Realm, which was essentially an old skool Total War game. Also, you could write letters to the AI opponents and tell them to fuck off (or something else if you felt like it, which I never did).

#14 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19140 posts) -

I've not played any of these except for DKC, so that.

#15 Posted by Little_Socrates (5649 posts) -

Oh, damn, I voted wrong as I assumed this was a "which means the most to you" thread and I voted DKC. Which would I play first? TIE Fighter. DKC's the only one I've played, and it sounds like there's nothing quite like TIE Fighter.

#16 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Ha, I think most people clicked before they read your actual question. I'd have to change my vote to System Shock. I played the demo of Warcraft before Donkey Kong Country, and I think I would still prefer the former over the latter. But if I had to play one of the games on your list now, it would be System Shock, simply out of curiosity.

#17 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2712 posts) -

I've only played Doom II and Donkey Kong Country out of those. So I guess I'll say Donkey Kong.

#18 Posted by DiscoGobbo (35 posts) -
#19 Edited by themangalist (1675 posts) -

I think the only games from anything pre-AOE era that still hold up for play nowadays is probably side stroller games. So, metroid for me.

#20 Posted by SpencerTucksen (423 posts) -

Earthworm Jim for the epic win.

#21 Posted by Vexxan (4598 posts) -

Donkey Kong Country all the way!

#22 Posted by ShaggE (5973 posts) -

Wow, what a tough pick. Had to go with Heretic for pushing the budding FPS genre in a new direction.

#23 Posted by James_ex_machina (896 posts) -

Tough choices. I wanted to pick Earthworm Jim but I never finished. I always thought there were serious control issues. I still love the character and art style and humor.

#24 Posted by mosdl (3223 posts) -

Tie Fighter because, well, its Tie Fighter. And I never played System Shock, so that would be the other choice.

#25 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2167 posts) -

DKC for good old memories.

#26 Posted by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

Doom 2 or Jazz Jackrabbit for me!

#27 Posted by Crabs_on_the_beach (42 posts) -

Donkey Kong Country, being that its the only game I can remember playing.

#28 Posted by Skald (4366 posts) -

Jazz!

#29 Posted by GreggD (4440 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

You're missing out on a lot of good games, then.

#30 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19140 posts) -
@GreggD said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

You're missing out on a lot of good games, then.

They're old games that I would probably find less than amusing today. I was 1 when those games came out and there are a lot of good, modern games that I haven't gotten to play so I won't force myself to play these "classics".
#31 Posted by GreggD (4440 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Jeez, you don't have to be so snarky about it.

#32 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19140 posts) -
@GreggD said:

Huh? I was just explaining why it didn't bother me that I was missing out on those titles; I didn't realize I was being snarky.
#33 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4281 posts) -

The lack of Doom II love is fucking infuriating.

#34 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (5794 posts) -

I've played most of those, excluding Mickey and Marathon, and I went with Jagged Alliance. Tough, tough call though, as X-Com, Super Metroid, and TIE Fighter were all a very close second. Jagged Alliance's tactical battles and RPG elements hit a sweet spot for me, though, and it was and is the game among that list I enjoy the most.

#35 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (244 posts) -

Super Metroid because that's the coolest game from the year I was born.

#36 Posted by MysteriousBob (6273 posts) -

Dynamite Headdy is better than all those games.

And Donkey Kong Country has no place on any 'best of' list.

#37 Posted by MysteriousBob (6273 posts) -

And no Sonic 3 & Knuckles? This list is garbage.

#38 Posted by TheHT (10255 posts) -

Earthworm Jim or Donkey Kong Country. DKC gets the edge for coop. And me not playing it on my PC.

#39 Posted by Rudyftw (554 posts) -

Donkey Kong Country was beast.

I remember feeling like a boss when I got to ride my rhino or my giant bird.

#40 Posted by MightyDuck (1434 posts) -

Doom II

I played that game a ton as a kid. I still remember how "cool" I thought I was when I figured out you could run some sort of executable to pick whatever level you want. While, this seems stupid now, but as an 8 year old...I thought I was tough shit.

#41 Posted by JammyJesus (766 posts) -

Mortal Kombat 2. At six years old. My parents had no idea what a video game was back then.

#42 Edited by Matthew (1910 posts) -

@MysteriousBob said:

And no Sonic 3 & Knuckles? This list is garbage.

I was reallllly close to putting them in here. But it's my list, and in my views, Tails was a bad enough addition to the Sonic games, much less evilgingersonic aka Knuckles.

#43 Posted by Wampa1 (592 posts) -

@KingWilly: Here's your Doom II love!

#44 Edited by Matthew (1910 posts) -

@Wampa1: @Wampa1: Welcome to the site Duder! Awesome that you've just signed up and decided to drop some coin on the Top Men and co., and of course, partake in one amazing poll ;)

As a new user, you're required to watch these 2 videos -

Alright, so maybe one more video can't hurt . . .

#45 Posted by TobbRobb (4401 posts) -

DKC, Super Metroid and Jazz Jackrabbit all the way! Doom and MK get a honorable mention though I'm not that hyped to play them at the moment.

I'm gonna try and speedrun metroid right now....

#46 Posted by coakroach (2478 posts) -

Oh hells yeah I just played heretic a few weeks ago.

I love how one of the weapons looks like your shooting lightning out of your dick.

#47 Posted by GreggD (4440 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@GreggD said:

Huh? I was just explaining why it didn't bother me that I was missing out on those titles; I didn't realize I was being snarky.

You put quotes around classics, referring to the games on this list. It just seemed really sarcastic.

#48 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

I'd get my DKC on! :D That intro music is still awesome today.

#49 Posted by Deathpooky (1338 posts) -

Super Metroid all the way. I played the heck out of that game when I was a kid going for speedruns and 100% runs, and have gone back and beaten it probably a dozen times since even 2000. On my personal top ten of all time list.

#50 Posted by iam3green (14388 posts) -

donkey kong country. i liked that game except, i had the second one. i actually don't think that i had a SNES at that time. i think it might of been playing nes still.