Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

Hey, ok, so lists are terrible. In times of need, however, they're pretty effective. I've felt pretty overwhelmed with triple AAA games lately, having played both Mordor and Destiny in the past month or so. I really like smaller, independent games, but they obviously manage to slip under the radar more easily.

Are there any small games of 2014 you'd be willing to nominate as worth visiting before the year closes out? I really loved Nidhogg, Jazzpunk, and Transistor. I'm down for anything, really. I've been eyeing Lifeless Planet and Qora as two potential games to visit. Hopefully this'll turn into a great thread for others who may be looking for recommendations.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

Ones that I think are worth mentioning (I'm excluding relatively big indie games and crowd-funded stuff):

• Ether One
  • Rogue Shooter: The FPS Roguelike
  • LYNE

Not indie games, but not AAA games I really enjoyed:

• Heavy Bullets
  • Jazzpunk
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Shovel Knight would be my top pick of the year so far.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

NIdhogg, Mount Your Friends and Lovely Planet are my top three. I haven't touched Lifeless Planet or Jazzpunk though, and would like to.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I haven't played it yet, but everything I see and hear about Shovel Knight looks great.

A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ones that I think are worth mentioning (I'm excluding relatively big indie games and crowd-funded stuff):

• Ether One
  • Heavy Bullets
  • Jazzpunk
  • LYNE

Just glanced at Ether One's steam page. This looks right up my street.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder said:

• Ether One
  • Heavy Bullets
  • Jazzpunk
  • LYNE

Just glanced at Ether One's steam page. This looks right up my street.

It's really great. It feels somewhere between Gone Home and Myst. It's a huge shame that it's flown under the radar for most people.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Shovel Knight, since every time I think about it I grin. Luftrausers was hard to put down for a while there, along with OlliOlli. Rogue Legacy had me hooked for the 10 or so hours it took to beat. Oh, and the Oddworld remake was a nice update.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Corevi
Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The top 3 I'd recommend are The Banner Saga (my personal GOTY), Abyss Odyssey and Crawl (this is early access though). It released late last year, but if you haven't had a chance to check it out, I'd also highly recommend Paper Sorcerer.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#11 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Transistor and Jazzpunk are the only two I have played this year, really interested in Ether One and Shovel Knight though.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BeachThunder

The Banner Saga

Yep, Banner Saga is really great. I have a few gripes, but overall, I loved it.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Looking at my list of games played in 2014 and cutting it down to the indie games that I liked would leave me with:

• OlliOlli
  • Icarus Proudbottom's World of Typing
  • Fuck Everything
Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I'd say Abyss Odyseey

but I don't know if that "counts" because Atlus published it.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Banished. Unless something comes out that utterly destroys my free time, this one's a walkaway choice for me. I love city builders without a ton of resource management and this was a good 'un.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thebunnyhunter

Im loving Crypt of the Necrodancer, great addictive soundtrack and a neat rouge-lite

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

• Fuck Everything

I played that and jeez that game is terrifying. I want to say the part that makes me cringe but just mentioning it might get me banned, haha.

There's been a lot of indie games this year, I think most games I've played this year are indie. Games like Wasteland 2, Divinity: Original Sin, Dragonfall, Broken Age and the upcoming games Pillars of Eternity and Massive Chalice are technically indie games, thanks to Kickstarter.

Smaller favorites: Full Bore, Journal, FRACT OSC, Desert Golfing.

Free favorites: Heroine's Quest, Mimicry Man, Universal History of Light, Curtain, lisa, Icarus Proudbottom's World of Typing.

Also, a bit of a nitpick but Jazzpunk isn't really an indie game because it's an Adult Swim Games joint, isn't it?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Fenix Rage easily. What a great game.

tildebees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

my favorite would be jazzpunk. but its the only indie game of 2014 I've played. Also the only video game of 2014 I've played.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, a bit of a nitpick but Jazzpunk isn't really an indie game because it's an Adult Swim Games joint, isn't it?

Yeah, you're right. It shouldn't be counted.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Does Divinity: Original Sin count?

If not, probably Floating Point and Luftrausers.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of games that are not Jazzpunk and Transistor, I recommend Lovely Planet. It's a very hard and extremely cute Super Meat Boy-style FPS.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: While technically correct, I think this person is just looking for small games.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Corevi
@beachthunder said:

@audiobusting said:

Adult Swim Games is an indie publisher just like Devolver.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: I guess it counts as an indie-sized publishing company, it's just that my mind still associates them as a subsidiary of Time Warner by proxy.

Avatar image for duke_bilgewater
Duke_Bilgewater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really enjoying Lovely Planet. The difficulty curve caught me off guard at first, but working my way through the tougher levels and trying to 100% the game has been a blast.

Shovel Knight and Heavy Bullets are both good as well, but SK has a severe lack of difficulty that made it a little bit boring for me. Even NG+ isn't that bad.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

Velocity 2x

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@audiobusting said:

Yeah, sorry everyone. I should have put "Favorite Small Games," but went with the synonymous-but-incorrect "indie." No disrespect meant for the actual indie titles here, which all seem very great.

@vextroid said:

Totally counts answer: Betrayer

Totally doesn't count answer: CounterSpy

I REALLY wanted to play Betrayer, but my computer chugs when I run it. I'm not sure if my GFX card is old or if the game has issues because I get so many different graphical glitches during it.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Fear_the_Booboo

If we count small games and "faux-indie", I really likes The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Jazzpunk and Valiant Hearts.

That said, I think this year is inferior to last one for indies offering. Papers, Please and Kentucky Route Zero are two of my favorite games ever, and Gone Home is not far off. I don't feel like any games this year are on that level.

A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

If we count small games and "faux-indie", I really likes The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Jazzpunk and Valiant Hearts.

That said, I think this year is inferior to last one for indies offering. Papers, Please and Kentucky Route Zero are two of my favorite games ever, and Gone Home is not far off. I don't feel like any games this year are on that level.

I'm hurt (and having a gross amount of anticipating) regarding the slow crawl of Kentucky Route Zero updates. I haven't played part III because I really want to experience it all at once.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@a_cute_squirtle: Yeah. I'm not ever sure it'll be ever completed. For me, episode 1 totally blew me away. Even if it about one hour long, it was my game of the year so I was already happy about my purchase, thought I would totally understand someone thinking the game is not worth it.

I just hope it gets finished one day so many people that want to wait until the end like you can finally play it.

P.S. Don't forget that there's two free chapters on their website. Both are incredible.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bluefish

LUFTRAUSERS was pretty great for a while there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'll just take this as the Sub-Twenty Dollars games. Then again, there's some definitively indie/small/niche games that are 40 dollars. I dunnoshutupandlisten

1. Transistor

2. Shovel Knight

3. Abyss Odyssey

4. Valiant Hearts

5. Endless Legend

6. Velvet Sundown

7. Wasteland 2

8. The Banner Saga

9. Trials Fusion

10. Shadowrun Returns

11. The Last Federation

12. Gang Beasts

13. Expeditions: Conquistadors

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@a_cute_squirtle said:

@fear_the_booboo said:

I'm hurt (and having a gross amount of anticipating) regarding the slow crawl of Kentucky Route Zero updates. I haven't played part III because I really want to experience it all at once.

I forgot to include KRZ on my list, it's fair enough to want to wait for the whole thing to come out but Act III is so good. That one act alone is among my top 10 favorites for this year.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Shovel Knight is probably number one on my list, but I also just want to make sure Lethal League gets a mention in this thread - great game, not sure how it hasn't been mentioned yet.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The blurred lines between AAA and indie has become so small I can hardly tell the difference now a days. I'll probably go with Transistor but then I remember that game getting some heavy push from Sony earlier this year.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By bacongames

My top 3 list is the same indie or not:

Both because they're good and I didn't happen to play much else from this year, further along you've Icarus Proudbottom's World of Typing Weekly!, Nidhogg and Luftrausers. There's still a ton more I want to check out, a few of which have already mentioned. Honestly though, and fuck what some people think, this year has been especially great for games in this space. Just to lay out all the stuff that was at least pretty rad that isn't considered Triple AAA:

• Broken Age
  • Octodad: Dadliest Catch
  • Roundabout
  • Nidhogg
  • Luftrausers
  • Sportsfriends
  • Jazzpunk
  • Transistor
  • Valiant Hearts
  • Super Time Force
  • Shovel Knight
  • Fract OSC
  • The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
  • Abyss Odyssey
  • The Banner Saga
  • OlliOlli
  • Costume Quest 2
  • Neverending Nightmares
  • Hack 'N' Slash
  • 6180 the Moon
  • Mount Your Friends
  • Wasteland 2
  • Lethal League
  • Heavy Bullets

That's not to mention some breakout Early Access hits like Gang Beasts, Crypt of the Necrodancer and Crawl. Technically indie or not, that's the list I think should rightly dominate what made this year awesome (or not if one is ignoring this stuff for one reason or another).

Avatar image for deactivated-62f32fe5160f8
deactivated-62f32fe5160f8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1001 Spikes without a doubt, I've played it so much I can almost speed run it competitively

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you're the only other person who played Roundabout. Fantastically funny game.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By geirr
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad to see Heavy Bullets getting a lot of love - that is such a great game.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@corevi said:

I think you're the only other person who played Roundabout. Fantastically funny game.

After that stupid April Fool's day announcement I couldn't not pre-order, especially after Dan egged me on. My favorite part is that more than just being a funny game, it's actually a delight to play. Playing it at events I was a bit worried because I died quite a lot and suspected it might end up being frustrating. When I sat down to play it on launch day, it couldn't be further from that. The design and control come together to make that thing feel every bit as satisfying as it looks.