Game Informer #105 Jan. 2002: Reviews Look Back

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Edited By Claude

I've been on an old magazine kick recently and when I came upon this one, two things stood out.  I was reminded once again how I've never played a Final Fantasy game. The other was how Stronghold came to my attention twice in less than a week. I watched the Throwback Stronghold Quick Look and a couple days later saw the review in this old magazine. Maybe the gaming gods are trying to tell me something. Another thing about this edition is how new the Xbox and GameCube were, the Dreamcast was dying and the PlayStation 2 was rolling out the titles. Here's the Review Lists.  

Game Informer #105 January 2002: Playstation 2 Reviews

I traded in my Dreamcast and bought a PS2 in 2001. It was a great deal. I played a quite a few of these games.

1. Final Fantasy X

9.75 -The Power of Expression- "Without question, Final Fantasy X is Sakaguchi's most ambitious project yet, and is a radical departure from the formula we've become accustomed to. As you well know, in the past, characters would pantomime to text that would flash across the screen. In Final Fantasy X, every character has a synchronized voice, which in turn presents lifelike qualities and the true essence of drama. Even if you don't approve of all the changes that Square Soft has installed, I'm sure you'll agree that Final Fantasy X is a breakthrough release, a visionary tale, and a masterpiece for the ages." -Reiner- *Second Opinion* 9.75 -Justin-

2. Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy

9.25 -Zelda, Mario, And Crash All Rolled Into One- "Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy feels as though it were shot out of Shigeru Miyamoto's cannon. For those of you who thrive on platformers, or count the days until the next Zelda release, or simply want to play a game that is continually rewarding, Jak and Daxter is the title you've been waiting for." -Reiner- *Second Opinion* 9 -Matt- "I played this one, it was great" -Claude-

3. 007: Agent Under Fire

9.25 -EA's Got A Brand New Bond- "I hesitate to call any game that bears the 007 logo a sleeper, but with the incredible number of triple-A titles being released for PlayStation 2 this holiday season, it's possible that many will overlook Agent Under Fire." -Matt- *Second Opinion* 9 -Andy- "Cool game" -Claude-

4. Dynasty Warriors 3

7 -The Slaughter Continues- "Koel's battle cry remains constant. In fact, if the Dynasty Warrior 3 logo ddn't flash across the screen, I'd swear I was playing the previous installment all over again." -Reiner- *Second Opinion* 6.5 -Kato-

5. Disney's Tarzan Untamed

7.75 -Welcome To The Jungle- "I think kids are going to find Tarzan Untamed cool enough, but due to its oft-frustrating difficulty, only the most determined will make any headway into the game." -Justin- *Second Opinion* 7.75 -Matt- "Surprisingly fun" -Claude-

6. NFL 2K2

9.5 -2K2's Gutsy Road Win- "If you're a Dreamcast owner, you'd have every right to think you got screwed once you play this PS2 version, for here is where the true 2K2 resides. The Dreamcast? It's been left in the dust." -Kato- *Second Opinion* 7.75 -Kristian- "Oh yeah, I ate this one up" -Claude-

7. Burnout

7.75 -Gunter Gueben Glauchen Globen- "Aside from this entertaining gimmick, Burnout is a solid driver, with agood control and some decent graphics, but that's about it." -Justin- *Second Opinion* 6.75 -Kato- "I liked it better than these guys" -Claude-

8. Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex

6.75 -Drops A Load- "It doesn't live up to the legacy of the series." -Andy- *Second Opinion* 6.5 -Reiner-

9. Evil Twin: Cyprien's Chronicles

6 -Have and Have Nots- "It's as if developer In Utero was inspired by Conker's Bad Fur Day, but lacks the experience Rare has to back up a solid concept." -Kato- *Second Opinion* 3 -Matt-

10. Forever Kingdom

5 -Some Things Are Best Left Overseas- Andy *Second Opinion* 4.25 -Kristian-

11. Shadow Hearts

7.75 -Fear Roger Bacon- "It's no Final Fantasy, but RPG fans will appreciate its peculiar story and gameplay." -Andy- *Second Opinion* 7.25 -Reiner-

12. Tsugunai: Atonement

7.25 "Atlus has taken this Japanese RPG under its wing, and taken the good and less-than-good aspects along with it." -Kato-

13. Project Eden

5.5 "...nothing more than a decent-looking puzzle game with a few gun battles thrown in." -Kristian-

14. The Mummy Returns

2.5 "It would seem this title was created with the specific purpose of torturing those who play." -Reiner-

15. Dark Summit

6.5 "...I'd skip it." -Matt-

16. Stunt GP

4 "Originally destined for the now defunct Dreamcast, ...should have followed poor old Dreamcast to the grave." -Andy-

17. Jeremy McGrath Supercross World

5 "...the only thing it does is put you in a world of hurt." -Kato-

18. ESPN NFL Primetime 2002

6 "but this is still a not-ready-for-PrimeTime player." -Kato-

19. Soldier of Fortune

4 -A Bloody Mess- "The Brits have an expression, "bog standard," which basically means that something is average or run-of-the-mill." -Matt- *Second Opinion* 4.5 -Andy-

Game Informer #105 Janurary 2002: GameCube Reviews

I didn't get a GameCube until the summer of 2002.

1. Pikmin

9.25 -The Cutest Game Ever!- "Although this is essentially a detailed puzzle game, the detail is truly a sight to behold. If you're not having fun within ten minutes of the opening sequence, you probably forgot to turn your television on." -Kristian- *Second Opinion* 8.5 -Reiner- "I loved this game and its sequel" -Claude-

2. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

9.75 -Anything PS2 Can Do, Cube Can Do Better- "This release had many things going against it. The development team was porting one of the greatest games of the year onto new hardware, and trying to do so before GameCube launched. Despite pressure and forced insomnia for Neversoft, things couldn't have turned out better." -Justin- *Second Opinion* 9.75 -Reiner- "I played it on the PS2, awesome" Claude

3. Crazy Taxi

7.5 -Four Times Crazy- "This port is virtually identical to both the Dreamcast and PlayStation 2 versions," -Matt- *Second Opinion* 6.5 -Justin- "I played it on the Dreamcast. It was fun for a while" -Claude-

Game Informer #105 Janurary 2002: Xbox Reviews

I wouldn't get an Xbox until 2003.

1. MX 2002 featuring Ricky Carmichael

7.5 -The Real Ricky Retread- "I'm not sure it's capable of converting the mainstream to its cause just yet, but Xboxers should be happy to get in on the ground floor with this one." -Kato- *Second Opinion* -Kristian- "I played it on the PS2, nice game, enjoyed my time with it" -Claude-

2. NBA Live 2002

8.5 -Tossin' Balls In The Box- "Live has been putting up big numbers for years, on nearly every conceivable home system." Justin *Second Opinion* 8.5 -Reiner- "I played it on the PS2, it's a basketball game" -Claude-

3. Shrek

2 -You Cut Me Shrek, You Cut Me Deep- "Shrek can burp and light his farts!" -Matt- *Second Opinion* 3 -Andy-

4. Mad Dash Racing

6 -Stop And Smell The Green Meteor Things- "For the young kid who's been starved on a diet of crappy kart games, this will seem like a feast." -Kato- *Second Opinion* 6 -Matt-

5. NHL Hitz 20-02

8.5 -Ride The Zamboni Pony- "If you've got a hankering for some good multiplayer fun or a mindless testosterone tirade, Hitz is your hook-up." -Justin- *Second Opinion" 8 -Reiner-

Game Informer #105 Janurary 2002: Dreamcast Reviews

Goodbye Dreamcast

1. Tennis 2K2

9.5 -The Dreamcast's Swan Song- "I know that most of you who have stayed faithful to the ill-fated Dreamcast are in an uproar over the cancellation of the DC version of Shenmue II. Still, I urge you to hold off putting the system in mothballs until you've had a chance to sample Tennis 2K2. It's better than the bloated and overrated Shenmue, and an excellent end to the Dreamcast's run." -Matt- *Second Opinion* 8.75 -Andy-

Game Informer #105 Janurary 2002: PlayStation Reviews

1. Arc the Lad Collection

8.5 -Arc, Arc, Arcin' On Heaven's Door- "Good quests, good writing, and a huge compilation make for a no-brainer for RPG fans." -Justin- *Second Opinion* 8 -Andy-

2. Twisted Metal Small Brawl

3 "Shame on you, Sony." -Andy-

3. V.I.P.

1 "Like the show it's based on, the game is so indescribably bad that it's almost good in its ow weird way." -Matt-

4. Virtual Kasparov

7.75 "Forget Deep Blue, I was getting my butt whipped by the PlayStation's puny 32-bit processor every time." -Matt-

5. The Weakest Link

7 "Weakest Link on PS-X is not a few itches short of a rash. Good-bye." -Justin-

Game Informer #105 Janurary 2002: PC Reviews

I didn't play any of these PC games. But my PC habits were heating up.

1. Aliens Versus Predator 2

9.25 -Jesse Ventura Not Included- "You get a lot of game for your money with AvP2. I would say go get it before your neighbors." -Kristian- *Second Opinion* 8.75 -Matt-

2. Dark Age of Camelot

8.5 -EverQuest's First Real Contender- "Overall, there are so many things to like about DAoC that it's hard not to find the game charming." -Andy- *Second Opinion* 8.75 -Kristian-

3. Myth III: The Wolf Age

6.75 -Dispelling The Myth- "From a storytelling standpoint, this game deserves high praise, but as a PC game it just doesn't cut the mustard." -Kristian- *Second Opinion* 5 -Matt-

4. Stronghold

9 -Hold On To The Knight- "For those who eat, sleep, and live strategic defense design and implementation, Stronghold should be number one on your to-get list." -Kristian- *Second Opinion* 8.5 -Andy-

5. The Sims: Hot Date

8 -Sim Steam- "Hot Date is another solid release in this ever-growing franchise." -Kristian- *Second Opinion* 8.5 -Justin-

6. Empire Earth

6.25 -Almost Famous- "...the game's performance couldn't equal its scope." -Kristian- *Second Opinion* 7 -Kato-

Game Informer #105 Janurary 2002: Game Boy Advance Reviews

I had a Game Boy Advance for about two weeks. I sold it back to the dude that sold it to me.

1. Wario Land 4

8.5 -Good To Be Bad- "It's nothing new to the Wario Land enthusiast, but it's enjoyable nonetheless." -Andy- *Second Opinion* 8 -Reiner-

2. Golden Sun

8.5 -GBA's Golden Child- "Its greatness even exceeds the nostalgia I felt for Breath of Fire's GBA port. We have a new ruler in the GBA RPG realm." -Justin- *Second Opinion* 9 -Andy-

3. Spyro: Season of Ice

6 -On The Rocks- "Gotta hand it to Digital Eclipse for trying, but maybe 2D would have been the way to go." Kato *Second Opinion* 7 -Reiner-

4. Tetris Worlds

7 "Bonus points for having legendary Yes artist Roger Dean do the box art." -Matt-

5. Mech Platoon

8.25 "As a handheld RTS I have to give this game its due." -Kristian-

6. Boxing Fever

7 "Fever doesn't quite equal NES' Punch-Out, but then again, it could teach Midway a thing or two about boxing fun." -Kato-

7. The Powerpuff Girls: Mojo Jojo A-Go-Go

6 "This game is a shooter." -Justin-

8. Prehistorik Man

7.5 "Prehistorik man doesn't have an original bone in his body, but I didn't seem to mind." -Matt-

9. F-14 Tomcat

6 "Tomcat just doesn't make a smooth jump from frustrating for its own good." -Justin-

10. Phalanx

5 "Even with the GBA exclusive levels and difficulty toggies, I found it to be extremely boring." -Reiner-

Thanks for reading. I enjoy going through old video game magazines and remembering the past. I wish I had some more from the 90's.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Claude

I've been on an old magazine kick recently and when I came upon this one, two things stood out.  I was reminded once again how I've never played a Final Fantasy game. The other was how Stronghold came to my attention twice in less than a week. I watched the Throwback Stronghold Quick Look and a couple days later saw the review in this old magazine. Maybe the gaming gods are trying to tell me something. Another thing about this edition is how new the Xbox and GameCube were, the Dreamcast was dying and the PlayStation 2 was rolling out the titles. Here's the Review Lists.  

Game Informer #105 January 2002: Playstation 2 Reviews

I traded in my Dreamcast and bought a PS2 in 2001. It was a great deal. I played a quite a few of these games.

1. Final Fantasy X

9.75 -The Power of Expression- "Without question, Final Fantasy X is Sakaguchi's most ambitious project yet, and is a radical departure from the formula we've become accustomed to. As you well know, in the past, characters would pantomime to text that would flash across the screen. In Final Fantasy X, every character has a synchronized voice, which in turn presents lifelike qualities and the true essence of drama. Even if you don't approve of all the changes that Square Soft has installed, I'm sure you'll agree that Final Fantasy X is a breakthrough release, a visionary tale, and a masterpiece for the ages." -Reiner- *Second Opinion* 9.75 -Justin-

2. Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy

9.25 -Zelda, Mario, And Crash All Rolled Into One- "Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy feels as though it were shot out of Shigeru Miyamoto's cannon. For those of you who thrive on platformers, or count the days until the next Zelda release, or simply want to play a game that is continually rewarding, Jak and Daxter is the title you've been waiting for." -Reiner- *Second Opinion* 9 -Matt- "I played this one, it was great" -Claude-

3. 007: Agent Under Fire

9.25 -EA's Got A Brand New Bond- "I hesitate to call any game that bears the 007 logo a sleeper, but with the incredible number of triple-A titles being released for PlayStation 2 this holiday season, it's possible that many will overlook Agent Under Fire." -Matt- *Second Opinion* 9 -Andy- "Cool game" -Claude-

4. Dynasty Warriors 3

7 -The Slaughter Continues- "Koel's battle cry remains constant. In fact, if the Dynasty Warrior 3 logo ddn't flash across the screen, I'd swear I was playing the previous installment all over again." -Reiner- *Second Opinion* 6.5 -Kato-

5. Disney's Tarzan Untamed

7.75 -Welcome To The Jungle- "I think kids are going to find Tarzan Untamed cool enough, but due to its oft-frustrating difficulty, only the most determined will make any headway into the game." -Justin- *Second Opinion* 7.75 -Matt- "Surprisingly fun" -Claude-

6. NFL 2K2

9.5 -2K2's Gutsy Road Win- "If you're a Dreamcast owner, you'd have every right to think you got screwed once you play this PS2 version, for here is where the true 2K2 resides. The Dreamcast? It's been left in the dust." -Kato- *Second Opinion* 7.75 -Kristian- "Oh yeah, I ate this one up" -Claude-

7. Burnout

7.75 -Gunter Gueben Glauchen Globen- "Aside from this entertaining gimmick, Burnout is a solid driver, with agood control and some decent graphics, but that's about it." -Justin- *Second Opinion* 6.75 -Kato- "I liked it better than these guys" -Claude-

8. Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex

6.75 -Drops A Load- "It doesn't live up to the legacy of the series." -Andy- *Second Opinion* 6.5 -Reiner-

9. Evil Twin: Cyprien's Chronicles

6 -Have and Have Nots- "It's as if developer In Utero was inspired by Conker's Bad Fur Day, but lacks the experience Rare has to back up a solid concept." -Kato- *Second Opinion* 3 -Matt-

10. Forever Kingdom

5 -Some Things Are Best Left Overseas- Andy *Second Opinion* 4.25 -Kristian-

11. Shadow Hearts

7.75 -Fear Roger Bacon- "It's no Final Fantasy, but RPG fans will appreciate its peculiar story and gameplay." -Andy- *Second Opinion* 7.25 -Reiner-

12. Tsugunai: Atonement

7.25 "Atlus has taken this Japanese RPG under its wing, and taken the good and less-than-good aspects along with it." -Kato-

13. Project Eden

5.5 "...nothing more than a decent-looking puzzle game with a few gun battles thrown in." -Kristian-

14. The Mummy Returns

2.5 "It would seem this title was created with the specific purpose of torturing those who play." -Reiner-

15. Dark Summit

6.5 "...I'd skip it." -Matt-

16. Stunt GP

4 "Originally destined for the now defunct Dreamcast, ...should have followed poor old Dreamcast to the grave." -Andy-

17. Jeremy McGrath Supercross World

5 "...the only thing it does is put you in a world of hurt." -Kato-

18. ESPN NFL Primetime 2002

6 "but this is still a not-ready-for-PrimeTime player." -Kato-

19. Soldier of Fortune

4 -A Bloody Mess- "The Brits have an expression, "bog standard," which basically means that something is average or run-of-the-mill." -Matt- *Second Opinion* 4.5 -Andy-

Game Informer #105 Janurary 2002: GameCube Reviews

I didn't get a GameCube until the summer of 2002.

1. Pikmin

9.25 -The Cutest Game Ever!- "Although this is essentially a detailed puzzle game, the detail is truly a sight to behold. If you're not having fun within ten minutes of the opening sequence, you probably forgot to turn your television on." -Kristian- *Second Opinion* 8.5 -Reiner- "I loved this game and its sequel" -Claude-

2. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

9.75 -Anything PS2 Can Do, Cube Can Do Better- "This release had many things going against it. The development team was porting one of the greatest games of the year onto new hardware, and trying to do so before GameCube launched. Despite pressure and forced insomnia for Neversoft, things couldn't have turned out better." -Justin- *Second Opinion* 9.75 -Reiner- "I played it on the PS2, awesome" Claude

3. Crazy Taxi

7.5 -Four Times Crazy- "This port is virtually identical to both the Dreamcast and PlayStation 2 versions," -Matt- *Second Opinion* 6.5 -Justin- "I played it on the Dreamcast. It was fun for a while" -Claude-

Game Informer #105 Janurary 2002: Xbox Reviews

I wouldn't get an Xbox until 2003.

1. MX 2002 featuring Ricky Carmichael

7.5 -The Real Ricky Retread- "I'm not sure it's capable of converting the mainstream to its cause just yet, but Xboxers should be happy to get in on the ground floor with this one." -Kato- *Second Opinion* -Kristian- "I played it on the PS2, nice game, enjoyed my time with it" -Claude-

2. NBA Live 2002

8.5 -Tossin' Balls In The Box- "Live has been putting up big numbers for years, on nearly every conceivable home system." Justin *Second Opinion* 8.5 -Reiner- "I played it on the PS2, it's a basketball game" -Claude-

3. Shrek

2 -You Cut Me Shrek, You Cut Me Deep- "Shrek can burp and light his farts!" -Matt- *Second Opinion* 3 -Andy-

4. Mad Dash Racing

6 -Stop And Smell The Green Meteor Things- "For the young kid who's been starved on a diet of crappy kart games, this will seem like a feast." -Kato- *Second Opinion* 6 -Matt-

5. NHL Hitz 20-02

8.5 -Ride The Zamboni Pony- "If you've got a hankering for some good multiplayer fun or a mindless testosterone tirade, Hitz is your hook-up." -Justin- *Second Opinion" 8 -Reiner-

Game Informer #105 Janurary 2002: Dreamcast Reviews

Goodbye Dreamcast

1. Tennis 2K2

9.5 -The Dreamcast's Swan Song- "I know that most of you who have stayed faithful to the ill-fated Dreamcast are in an uproar over the cancellation of the DC version of Shenmue II. Still, I urge you to hold off putting the system in mothballs until you've had a chance to sample Tennis 2K2. It's better than the bloated and overrated Shenmue, and an excellent end to the Dreamcast's run." -Matt- *Second Opinion* 8.75 -Andy-

Game Informer #105 Janurary 2002: PlayStation Reviews

1. Arc the Lad Collection

8.5 -Arc, Arc, Arcin' On Heaven's Door- "Good quests, good writing, and a huge compilation make for a no-brainer for RPG fans." -Justin- *Second Opinion* 8 -Andy-

2. Twisted Metal Small Brawl

3 "Shame on you, Sony." -Andy-

3. V.I.P.

1 "Like the show it's based on, the game is so indescribably bad that it's almost good in its ow weird way." -Matt-

4. Virtual Kasparov

7.75 "Forget Deep Blue, I was getting my butt whipped by the PlayStation's puny 32-bit processor every time." -Matt-

5. The Weakest Link

7 "Weakest Link on PS-X is not a few itches short of a rash. Good-bye." -Justin-

Game Informer #105 Janurary 2002: PC Reviews

I didn't play any of these PC games. But my PC habits were heating up.

1. Aliens Versus Predator 2

9.25 -Jesse Ventura Not Included- "You get a lot of game for your money with AvP2. I would say go get it before your neighbors." -Kristian- *Second Opinion* 8.75 -Matt-

2. Dark Age of Camelot

8.5 -EverQuest's First Real Contender- "Overall, there are so many things to like about DAoC that it's hard not to find the game charming." -Andy- *Second Opinion* 8.75 -Kristian-

3. Myth III: The Wolf Age

6.75 -Dispelling The Myth- "From a storytelling standpoint, this game deserves high praise, but as a PC game it just doesn't cut the mustard." -Kristian- *Second Opinion* 5 -Matt-

4. Stronghold

9 -Hold On To The Knight- "For those who eat, sleep, and live strategic defense design and implementation, Stronghold should be number one on your to-get list." -Kristian- *Second Opinion* 8.5 -Andy-

5. The Sims: Hot Date

8 -Sim Steam- "Hot Date is another solid release in this ever-growing franchise." -Kristian- *Second Opinion* 8.5 -Justin-

6. Empire Earth

6.25 -Almost Famous- "...the game's performance couldn't equal its scope." -Kristian- *Second Opinion* 7 -Kato-

Game Informer #105 Janurary 2002: Game Boy Advance Reviews

I had a Game Boy Advance for about two weeks. I sold it back to the dude that sold it to me.

1. Wario Land 4

8.5 -Good To Be Bad- "It's nothing new to the Wario Land enthusiast, but it's enjoyable nonetheless." -Andy- *Second Opinion* 8 -Reiner-

2. Golden Sun

8.5 -GBA's Golden Child- "Its greatness even exceeds the nostalgia I felt for Breath of Fire's GBA port. We have a new ruler in the GBA RPG realm." -Justin- *Second Opinion* 9 -Andy-

3. Spyro: Season of Ice

6 -On The Rocks- "Gotta hand it to Digital Eclipse for trying, but maybe 2D would have been the way to go." Kato *Second Opinion* 7 -Reiner-

4. Tetris Worlds

7 "Bonus points for having legendary Yes artist Roger Dean do the box art." -Matt-

5. Mech Platoon

8.25 "As a handheld RTS I have to give this game its due." -Kristian-

6. Boxing Fever

7 "Fever doesn't quite equal NES' Punch-Out, but then again, it could teach Midway a thing or two about boxing fun." -Kato-

7. The Powerpuff Girls: Mojo Jojo A-Go-Go

6 "This game is a shooter." -Justin-

8. Prehistorik Man

7.5 "Prehistorik man doesn't have an original bone in his body, but I didn't seem to mind." -Matt-

9. F-14 Tomcat

6 "Tomcat just doesn't make a smooth jump from frustrating for its own good." -Justin-

10. Phalanx

5 "Even with the GBA exclusive levels and difficulty toggies, I found it to be extremely boring." -Reiner-

Thanks for reading. I enjoy going through old video game magazines and remembering the past. I wish I had some more from the 90's.
buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By buft

Evil twin... fucking EVIL TWIN, i remember buying that crap because the month before playstation magazine done a great preview then no review before release date.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Doctorchimp

Dark Age of Camelot gets an 8.5? Man 2002 must have been a wash for MMOs a lot worse than I thought.

Final Fantasy X got a 9.75 and in the same issue Shadow Hearts got a 7.75? Flash goes a long way I guess.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman

Only one game scored lower than a 6. I'm so glad GB uses the 5 star system. 

Funny seeing all of these though. Seeing Golden Sun makes me want to go back and play it.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Claude
@JJWeatherman said:

" Only one game scored lower than a 6. I'm so glad GB uses the 5 star system.  Funny seeing all of these though. Seeing Golden Sun makes me want to go back and play it. "

I left some games out. There was a crap load of games reviewed. I left out four crappy ports from the PS2, six PlayStation reviews and 3 Gameboy Advance games. Maybe I should add them. I might do that.

edit 
There all in now.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By BraveToaster

Golden Sun was awesome.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved Agent Under Fire

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By FesteringNeon

I loved the NHL Hitz series. Bought the versions for PS2 so I could play them on my PS3. 
It'd be fun to see an over the top remake! (with an option for stick controls like the EA series games)

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Chop

Shadow Hearts is better then FFX 

STUPID GAME INFORMER AND THEIR INCORRECT OPINIONS!

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, am I part of a minority when I say that I thought Wrath of Cortex was actually a really good game? Even with a different dev at the helm, they seemed to understand why Crash 3 was such a hit and stuck with a great formula. Spyro, on the other hand, was not lucky enough to receive the same treatment.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Oni

Ah Golden Sun, good memories. Also never played the first Shadow Hearts, but loved the hell out of Covenant.

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Portis

I played through Jak and Daxter and loved it, but God damn is that some high praise for that game. 

I mean, as I said I loved the game but I don't know that I was as completely blown away with the game as they seemed to be.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Red12b
@President_Barackbar said:
" Hmm, am I part of a minority when I say that I thought Wrath of Cortex was actually a really good game? Even with a different dev at the helm, they seemed to understand why Crash 3 was such a hit and stuck with a great formula. Spyro, on the other hand, was not lucky enough to receive the same treatment. "
no, it just wasn't....Crash, I can't explain it but Naughty Dog just injects something into their games, call it what you will I'll call it soul.
willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By willin

'Anything PS2 Can Do, Cube Can Do Better'?

How about decent 3rd party support?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Barrock
@Oni said:
" Ah Golden Sun, good memories. Also never played the first Shadow Hearts, but loved the hell out of Covenant. "
The first is fucking awesome. Rated M, too.
Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By Tordah

Surprised to see Soldier Of Fortune get such a low score. A lot of people really liked that game back then, myself included.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#17  Edited By ArbitraryWater

It's funny looking at these reviews now and seeing what kind of historical revisionism has happened since then. It's pretty clear that Final Fantasy X hasn't survived it's metacritic average of 92 unscathed by the blades of history, so all these hyperbolic statements surrounding it are pretty amusing. "Masterpiece for the ages" indeed. Meanwhile, Pikmin has somehow gotten through almost 10 years unscathed despite the fact that there are plenty of things in that game I would call less than amazing.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kjellm87

Wario Land 4 is the most perfect game ever.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Red12b said:
" @President_Barackbar said:
" Hmm, am I part of a minority when I say that I thought Wrath of Cortex was actually a really good game? Even with a different dev at the helm, they seemed to understand why Crash 3 was such a hit and stuck with a great formula. Spyro, on the other hand, was not lucky enough to receive the same treatment. "
no, it just wasn't....Crash, I can't explain it but Naughty Dog just injects something into their games, call it what you will I'll call it soul. "
Well, I personally thought it felt the same as Crash 3. Not as good, but still fine.
djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By djstyles92

<3333 FFX

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SlightConfuse

i played the hell out of warioland 4 great game  

also golden sun was awesome, still need to play the new one
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By LiquidPrince
@buft:  I love how every Final Fantasy game has a line similar to "despite being a departure from the series's predecessors..."

Final Fantasy is apparently always renewing itself. Which is cool I guess. I love Final Fantasy XIII after all.
Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Kyreo

Agent under fire was a great game.  I remember I picked it up 3 years ago for like... seven dollars.  Best purchase I've ever made.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By carlthenimrod

Was the PS2 version of Soldier of Fortune a bad port or did they just not like SOF? I loved that game on PC.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Claude
@carlthenimrod said:
" Was the PS2 version of Soldier of Fortune a bad port or did they just not like SOF? I loved that game on PC. "
It's a port. I couldn't find the game in the Giant Bomb data base. It's actually called Soldier of Fortune Gold.
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By thatfrood

I liked Myth: The Wolf Age!
:[

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#27  Edited By ZombiePie

What was on the cover for this copy?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Claude
@ZombiePie said:

" What was on the cover for this copy? "

I keep forgetting to post the cover. Here it is.

No Caption Provided
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#29  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I've played a few of those.  Prehistorik Man was the shit. 

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GreggD

Was the PS2 port of Soldier of Fortune really that bad?
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Claude
@GreggD said:
" Was the PS2 port of Soldier of Fortune really that bad? "
The review states it looked like a PS1 game. They called the shooting of limbs off people a gimmick that wears thin after 20 minutes of play. They also mentioned how Red Faction was a superior FPS on the PS2. This quote sums up their review, "Morally reprehensible and not interesting in the least."

I never played it. I did play Red Faction, that game was cool.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GreggD
@Claude: That definitely sounds like the game, but it also sounds like the reviewer was butthurt by a little gore. Morally reprehensible? Gimme a break.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By jkz

Mother Fucker. Empire Earth was the shit. No AoE, but it was still a ton of god damn fun. 

I miss the days of strategy games with fun, compelling, story-driven campaigns (Starcraft does pretty well, but I want my historically-based RTSs back).

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#34  Edited By iam3green

good times playing games. i played a couple of those games. good times playing them man. the ps2 was an awesome system when it came out.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#35  Edited By Tireyo

I like old mags too. The 90s was a pretty good decade.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Personally I would have put Jak and Daxter higher than FFX. 
The magazine not you.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By Yanngc33

lol Dark Summit, I remember that :p

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FCKSNAP

Shadow Hearts was the business.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Claude
@Snapstacle said:
" Shadow Hearts was the business. "
Being a mature rated game might mean it had some business going on as well. I never played it, so what the fuck do I know. If I could go back in time or buy a PS2 again, I might play it. I wonder if it still holds up?
FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FCKSNAP
@Claude said:

" @Snapstacle said:

" Shadow Hearts was the business. "
Being a mature rated game might mean it had some business going on as well. I never played it, so what the fuck do I know. If I could go back in time or buy a PS2 again, I might play it. I wonder if it still holds up? "
Maybe.  

The third in the series was universally hated. I liked it though, but what do I know? It was quite a different game compared to the other ones and it tried too hard to be funny sometimes. That's what was so good though.
spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#41  Edited By spankingaddict

Pikmin and Jak&daxter...Awesome games!

spudtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#42  Edited By spudtastic

Unusual to hear of an '02 magazine as 'old' , but I guess it is for a Game Informer. We had 2 more recent years of that mag.