Is Eurogamer actually a credible review site?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

I mean, they gave fat princess a 6 and MGS 4 a 8. obviosuly they cant be that great if they undercut PS3 scores, and honestly, there comaprisons are rather laughable at times. they focus on shit that dosent matter. Are they honestly a Unbiased, reputable review source. I mean, just looking at the community and you seem very anti PS3.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

I mean, they gave Fat Princess a 6 and Metal Gear Solid 4 an 8. Obviously they can't be that great if they undercut PS3 scores, and honestly, their comparisons are rather laughable at times. They focus on shit that doesn't matter. Are they honestly an unbiased, reputable review source? I mean, just looking at the community tells me they are very anti PS3.

Fixed so it's easier to read.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By GunstarRed

I find them to often be harsh but fair. I completely disagree with their MGS4 review but I can understand where they were coming from with it.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Snipzor

No, they are garbage from what I've read.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By metal_mills

It has nothing to do with being Anti-PS3. They have given oddly low scores to many games on other systems including PC and 360(I'm guessing Wii too).

nvorgang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By nvorgang
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/darkfall-online-review?page=2
  Anyone remember reading the controversy of Darkfall Online by them?  I haven't played the game, but if you read about it, it's shady.
For the most part though, I've found their reviews solid.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

From what I've read, it seems you're just angry that they're harsher on PS3 games. I can't tell if they're just harsh or if they're harsh on Sony games. Do you have any instances of them giving higher-than-necessary scores to 360/Wii games?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jayge_

People tend to drool all over Eurogamer because they give lower scores than usual for most games than other publications, making them "edgy" and "truthful." Doesn't stop their writing from being boring, whiny garbage though. 

Edit: Your reason for disliking them is a joke though, OP.

nvorgang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By nvorgang

This was one of the articles about the controversy
 http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/46012
They did re-review the game

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By FCKSNAP

I don't read Eurogamer because I agree that they focus on the oddest things in reviews.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zombie2011

Just because they gave fat princess a bad score doesn't mean they are not credible. And since when is a 8/10 a bad score to get.  

Just because you don't agree with their score doesn't mean they are anti PS3, its the reviewers opinion of the game. I'm sure you don't like games that other people love.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Lies

They say what they want. There are plenty of reasons for disliking both MGS4 and Fat Princess regardless of the console they reside on.   

Avatar image for vibratingdonkey
vibratingdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By vibratingdonkey
The whole Darkfall episode was legitimately odd though. But nothing will ever beat IGN's Worldwide Soccer Manager review. How bizarre that was.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mordukai

I really don't pay much attention to them. 

zander1123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zander1123

There is no problem with either the Fat Princess score or the MSG score they are entitled to whatever score they feel like. The problem with Eurogamer is that they have changed and rereivewed certain games for no real reason other than certain publishers "talking" to them. thats the problem with Eurogamer, not their PS3 review scores.

tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By tactis

I dont know i dont read them much but the ones i have read are usually really really harsh i think they are mostly those types of critics who are really out of touch with reality and have no idea what the consumer wants to play so put games up to a very high standard which can almost never be met. As for it being a anti-ps3 thing just check some high profile 360 exclusives(i.e original Gears of War) and u will see they just like giving games low scores. Hell they just gave splosion man 7/10.
xploded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By xploded

thats true, they don't give PS3 only low scores... the low scores go all around.... so yeah, its a  credible site, they just give out low scores.

WrenchNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By WrenchNinja

Eurogamer reviews games? I thought they only pretended to.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By metal_mills
@VibratingDonkey said:
" The whole Darkfall episode was legitimately odd though. But nothing will ever beat IGN's Worldwide Soccer Manager review. How bizarre that was. "
Was that the one that was saying it sucked because it wasn't like Fifa? That was hilarious(ly bad).
Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BestUsernameEver

TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By TonicBH

Difference in their opinion from yours != "whether or not the site is credible."

Credibility goes out the window when somebody lies in their reviews, or a former employee leaks secrets of paychecks from somebody other than their employer. Otherwise, they're always credible, even if you disagree with their review of Fat Princess, of which you probably already own and are playing right now.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By atejas

No review site is entirely credible.
Some are simply more incredible than others.

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By HairyMike87
@Raven_Sword: People have different tastes. I'm sure there won't be a game that makes everyone give it a perfect score. Some people hate certain games more than others.
Kazu666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kazu666

I disagree with their MGS review (10 all the way!) but their actual scores aren't that bad, I actually prefer it. Most sites (IGN, GameSpot) seem to just rate between 5-10, with 5 meaning pretty bad and 8 being an average. Eurogamer seem to use the full 1-10 which makes their scores seem lower than most. 

Still though....their actual REVIEWS they write........no idea wtf is up with them, very weird.

realfunfuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By realfunfuneral

I always include their opinions when I'm weighing up a game but obviously don't take it as gospel. I tend to hit here, there, and then metacritic for a good overall picture, but ultimately the judgement is your own, obviously. Even harsh reviews are useful. Better than sitting on the fence and trying to please everyone at least.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Most every site has given the game A-AA status, only 2 have given it AAA status though i don't count cheat code central because in terms of sites that are untrustworthy they are at the top they are a cheap site that steals game faqs stuff and codes from other sites.

As for that the eurogamer review brings up quite a bit of gameplay but it reviews one thing that's integral to an online only game, the community and at this time the community is hectic unorganized most people don't have mics, and even mention that at some point the design of the game has to be a factor in the way people play which most of the time is sloppy attempts at tactics or just doing their own thing.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Linkyshinks

You cannot cast a whole site in a bad light for the odd review, from individual reviewers. I like their harshness myself, I don't like their community very much though, I think their forums are pretty lame, but as far as the content goes it's a good site.

MatthewMeadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By MatthewMeadows

It's a good site

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Alex_V

I think it's clearly a credible source for reviews. Nobody will agree with all reviews from any one source.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By KamasamaK

I don't generally read their reviews, but from what I've seen of their ratings I disagree with them more often than most other sites. Although, I'd rather judge the credibility of specific reviewers than the publication as a whole, so I guess I do personally find at least one of them not very credible.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Kohe321

I do not use it personally, but my experience reading forums is that a lot of people disagree with them.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By get2sammyb

Eurogamer reviews, like much of the European press, are needlessly harsh 99% of the time. Having said that, I totally agree with the comments they made in their Fat Princess review.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#33  Edited By LordAndrew

They seem fine from what I've read. In general European sites tend to hand out lower scores than American sites. Basically, they use the entire rating scale. According to Kevin VanOrd, it's because American publications tend to prefer the grading system used in American schools, while European publications do not.

@fiddlecub said:

"For what it's worth, this is, in my opinion, why European sites generally give much lower scores to games than you see from American sites: their schools don't use our bizarre and extremely flawed system, so Europeans do not have the connotations that we have regarding 70% versus 80% versus 90% and so on. And it's why you see so many American publications so seemingly unwilling to use the entirety of their scales--because they still correlate school grades to their own scoring systems, something I believe they shouldn't do. All the hubbub you see over review scores would so often by quelled if people stopped using those public school notions to understand scoring systems that aren't related."

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By killdave

If by credible you mean a random internet site that shares its own opinions then yes, its about as credible as any other, including Giant Bomb

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By Hairydutchman

They are a good read, but I disagree many times with the scores (which is fine).

Giving a 7 for Condemned Criminal Origins was criminal though.