Mother calls cops cause son won't stop gaming.

• 94 results
Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Slippy

Never saw the point in staying up late playing something. If you went to bed, you would get up earlier the next day and could play then. You shift the sleeping time, but the play time remains the same in the end.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Desperate people do desperate things. The thing that really annoys me about this article is the way it unfairly demonises "videos".

Phaseshift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Phaseshift
@Rayfield said:
" Mother: "Hello police? My son is playing the violent video!"  Police: "What is your emergency ma'am?"  Mother: "Didn't you hear me? He won't stop playing the video!"  Police: "..."  Mother: "Hello?"  Police: "Ma'am, are you saying your son is watching a video?"  Mother: "Yes, he is playing the Grand Theft! in his room!"  Police: "Ah I see. He's playing Grand Theft Auto in his room?"  Mother: "Yes! I heard on FOX News that the video is made to rape policeman and defecate on nun's faces!"  Police: "...Uh, then why is your son playing it?"  Mother: "Because he's out of control! Tell him to stop!"  Police: "Hello? Son? "  Son: "Huh?"  Police: "Hey, your mother's worried. Chill out and go to bed."  Son: "But dude, I just found Dimitri!"  Police: "Yeah, I know but that double-crossing bastard isn't going anywhere. The thing does have auto-save."  Son: "Alright, fine."  Mother: "See what you make me do! I didn't know about this violent video! I kill you with this knife!"   Son: "Oh Jesus no!"  Police: "Uh, ma'am? Hello?" "

I like you.
Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54  Edited By Damian

@Slippy said:

" Never saw the point in staying up late playing something. If you went to bed, you would get up earlier the next day and could play then. You shift the sleeping time, but the play time remains the same in the end. "
Ah, but you'd be missing out on all those funky, game-related dreams that come from not knowing when to say when.
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My parents sometimes tell me to go sleep...and most of the time I do go to sleep,  
She fails at being a parent, and understanding anything about games

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Do not put a TV in the kid's room.  If she says he has a problem with 'tha vidya" then she should take the electronics out of his room.  Simple.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#57  Edited By gla55jAw

What an asshole. I can't beleive she called the police and wasted their time. Learn how to deal with your kids. Does she not have hands to take away the games?
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By Jimbo

We used to play games straight through the night into the next day when we were that old on occasion.  Being 14 is awesome, you need about 5 minutes sleep.  If it's the weekend and you aren't disturbing anybody else, who cares, apart from this kid's nagging hyper-critical mother obviously.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By natetodamax

That mom is stupid in every way.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

So the mom is stupid. Too bad it will still go against those awful videos making our teens out of control!

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By baconbits33
@Turtlemayor333: Seriously, most kids with no father end up committing crimes, and not even coming home at night. Seriously that's a true statistic, I've experience it myself, when my dad went to Iraq I started committing crimes, getting into fights and not even coming home for days at a time the funny part too is that I did this with kids who didn't have fathers or mothers too. Almost all my friends have divorced parents or don't have certain parent at home. Some kid staying at home and playing video games all night is light hearted compared to most teens.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Hamz

I'm just going to take a guess here and say a woman of 49 years old raising four kids on her own and working in a job that doesn't sound too great or well paid is likely a woman under a lot of pressure and suffering from a fair bit of stress and tension in her daily life. Not to mention we don't know the circumstances that left her as a single parent (divorce? death? husband walked out on them?).

It seems extreme to call the police over something so trivial to most of us. But look at it from that woman's perspective, she's on her own raising her kids as best she can and likely has a hard time doing it. So when she asks them one simple thing like going to bed I'm sure she expects and hopes that her kids would have the respect to heed her wishes. But instead of her son doing the decent thing and realising his mum likely does a lot more for him than she asks in return, he takes it for granted. And I get the impression his addiction to video games is something that is a regular occurrence.

So to everyone here who has decided to take a big smelly poop on the mother I say to you, take a step back for a moment and think about this. Is it really unjustified for her to seek help from someone to make her son do what she wants him to do when he won't even listen to her? Clearly she's at a loss on how to make him listen to her if he won't even do something as simple as going to bed when told and without a second parent to back her up or step in she looked elsewhere for support.

Perhaps being raised by a single parent myself is the reason I have sympathy for her. But honestly I have to say, 14 year old or not, Saturday night or not, the kid should have listened to his mum and done what she asked. It wasn't unreasonable and it isn't like he couldn't have continued playing on Sunday or throughout the week. But as is becoming a weird trend amongst kids today, they do have this odd addiction to games that goes beyond normal levels of enjoyment and into the obsessive. I love video games, I endorse folks of all ages playing them, but in moderation. It isn't hard to show self restraint and some willpower.

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Tiwi

all that can be said have been said. this woman is obviously crazy.

Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rayfield said:
"Mother: "Hello police? My son is playing the violent video!"  Police: "What is your emergency ma'am?"  Mother: "Didn't you hear me? He won't stop playing the video!"  Police: "..."  Mother: "Hello?"  Police: "Ma'am, are you saying your son is watching a video?"  Mother: "Yes, he is playing the Grand Theft! in his room!"  Police: "Ah I see. He's playing Grand Theft Auto in his room?"  Mother: "Yes! I heard on FOX News that the video is made to rape policeman and defecate on nun's faces!"  Police: "...Uh, then why is your son playing it?"  Mother: "Because he's out of control! Tell him to stop!"  Police: "Hello? Son? "  Son: "Huh?"  Police: "Hey, your mother's worried. Chill out and go to bed."  Son: "But dude, I just found Dimitri!"  Police: "Yeah, I know but that double-crossing bastard isn't going anywhere. The thing does have auto-save."  Son: "Alright, fine."  Mother: "See what you make me do! I didn't know about this violent video! I kill you with this knife!"   Son: "Oh Jesus no!"  Police: "Uh, ma'am? Hello?" "

lol
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By damnboyadvance

If I found my kid playing Grand Theft Auto, I'd sell his system in a heartbeat. First of all, he would know better than to be playing that. Second of all, it'd be dishonest for him to have a game like that in the house.

Maybe a few months with no video games would teach this young lad a lesson.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By MikkaQ
@ADTR_ZERO: GTA is also pretty tame by today's standards. Well IV is. I mean they bleed a bit, but not more than most games. 

What truly distrubed me about that game is how complacent your guy is when being given orders to do bad things by strung out, tweaky-ass coke heads. . DO NOT LISTEN TO SUCH PEOPLE. Niko is a dumb, dumb man. Or is naive, and thinks they just love sugar so much.
MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#67  Edited By MildMolasses

I can't believe that police actually humoured her and didn't just fine her for calling 911 in a non-emergency situation
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#68  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Rayfield said:
" The article itself (from the Boston Herald) is pretty badly written. The boy was playing 'Grand Theft Auto' on his 'Playstation'. Like, which game? On what Playstation? How many different versions could we be talking about here?"
since the protagonist is described as a "ladder-climbing criminal" that must be niko so there ya go
TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#69  Edited By TheJollyRajah
@Hamz: Exactly my thoughts, but I didn't feel like typing all of that.
habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By habster3

What kind of idiot what actually call the police!? "Oh, no; my son is playing a video!!!" Can she sound any dumber? What, does this "video" kill off the audience like the one in the ring or something?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Milkman
@Rayfield said:

" I just found it amazing that this woman felt it necessary to waste police time instead of actually being a parent. "

This is all that needs to be said. This is pathetic. And I hate that "WELL, I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE! BOO HOO! BOO HOO!" If you're to spread your dumb fucking seed than at least know how to take care of it without the help of the police.

Also, I'm not even sure what the hell this is suppose to me:
 "Mejia said she approves of athletic-themed videos, but as for “Grand Theft Auto,” she said, “I would never buy that kind of video. No way. I called (police) because if you don’t respect your mother, what are you going to do in your life?”

Obviously the person who wrote this article isn't much smarter than the parent.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Milkman
@damnboyadvance said:
" If I found my kid playing Grand Theft Auto, I'd sell his system in a heartbeat. First of all, he would know better than to be playing that. Second of all, it'd be dishonest for him to have a game like that in the house.  Maybe a few months with no video games would teach this young lad a lesson. "
I know right. Because that Grand Theft Auto is the seed of all evil!
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By ryanwho

Young teens know what parents should be doing.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By iam3green

aww man parents need to learn some parenting. she should have just went in and took the power cable so he couldn't play it. adults think that it is just an isolating problem but video games is a social thing. Especially now that people can play online that they can play with friends next door from each other. i play modern warfare 2 with my friend across town.

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By lamegame621

I can't tell you how many times I've played video games to "gain social acceptance"....give me a fucking break.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Afroman269

I assume the role of a ladder-climbing criminal everyday.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By penguindust
@Hamz:

People seem to forget that some kids react like THIS when their games are taken away.  Now picture it at 2:30 AM and there is just the one stressed parent with 3 other siblings to care for.  At wits end, I can understand her desperation.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Jimbo
@lamegame621 said:
" I can't tell you how many times I've played video games to "gain social acceptance"....give me a fucking break. "
lol
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By ryanwho
@PenguinDust said:
" @Hamz:

People seem to forget that some kids react like THIS when their games are taken away.  Now picture it at 2:30 AM and there is just the one stressed parent with 3 other siblings to care for.  At wits end, I can understand her desperation. "
Back in the day, this is around the time when you cut a fresh switch off from the rose bush and turn that ass purple. Negative reinforcement needs a comeback, we've already seen the kind of pussyass generation positive reinforcement rung.
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By CornontheCobbe

She should have bought him Modern Warfare instead. He would become instantly bored and would have gone to bed. Let's face it, nothing beats sleep. Not even MW2.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Daryl

When will those kids and their videos ever learn? It's the end of society as we know it. 

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#82  Edited By damnboyadvance
@Milkman said:
" @damnboyadvance said:
" If I found my kid playing Grand Theft Auto, I'd sell his system in a heartbeat. First of all, he would know better than to be playing that. Second of all, it'd be dishonest for him to have a game like that in the house.  Maybe a few months with no video games would teach this young lad a lesson. "
I know right. Because that Grand Theft Auto is the seed of all evil! "
No, I'm not saying that. The moral of the story is if I ban a game from coming into the house and he brought it in anyways, why would I not punish him?
jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By jmrwacko
@Rayfield said:
"

“Adults tend to view video games as isolating experiences,” Kutner said. “Kids view them as social experiences. It’s a way in part - especially for boys - of gaining social acceptance.”    

"
Huh? I never played violent video games as a kid to "gain social acceptance." I played them because they were stimulating and entertaining. What's with all these retarded pediatric psychologists coming out with ridiculous comments about video games? They obviously don't understand the basic reward mechanisms of video gaming, else they'd be able to better treat video game addiction.
jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By jmrwacko
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Rayfield said:
" The article itself (from the Boston Herald) is pretty badly written. The boy was playing 'Grand Theft Auto' on his 'Playstation'. Like, which game? On what Playstation? How many different versions could we be talking about here?"
since the protagonist is described as a "ladder-climbing criminal" that must be niko so there ya go "

Every GTA features ladder-climbing criminals. For all we know, it could be GTA: Chinatown or GTA: San Andreas (which was totally THE BEST GTA EVA)
Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Coombs

Wow,  Thats damn good parenting right there,
If she was really that upset about it why not just, I dont know... Take it Away????

But no, Instead she calls the police, Who obviously have nothing better to do than come tell her spoiled brat of a son, 
to stop playing the game and go to bed.....

I wonder why he doesnt listen to her when she obviously isnt smart enough to realize that if she takes the power cord 
HE CANT PLAY

God I hate people some times

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By AURON570

I laughed at the "thousands of parents" and "mad-as-hell" mother part. These news stories always sound so fake.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#87  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

You know what this story needed?  SWAT raids.  That kid wouldn't go near a console for years after one raid by his friendly neighborhood riot squad.

PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By PulledaBrad
@Hamz: Everything you say is true. But, there are other resources avaliable to parents with unruly children. I spent 9 years in a 911 center taking these types of calls, weekly if not daily.  The mother should have stepped back before dialing 911 (remember, the number for life and death emergencies) and using public resources that can be better utilised elsewhere. There have been times that I've sent units to a residence on a complaint of an unruly juvenile not listening to a parent, then have an actual emergency and not have a unit redily avaliable to promptly respond (wrecks alarm drops domestics the list goes on). They couldnt always respond as quickly as the situation required, all because a mother didnt feel like handing out dicipline (and yes injures of those other calls happened due to the time delay of a unit coming from calls such as this). As I said earlier there are places in city governments that are set up just for these situations. Juvenile workers, court designated workers, juvenile diversion programs. A snap decision to call the police when something is not going your way (just search the net on all the supid shit people call 911 for...burger king getting an order wrong, someone not giving a discount on a taco meal etc) is in my opinion unacceptable and in some jurisdictions would be tantamount to 911 abuse which is a crime. Its an abuse of resources. The side of the cruiser may say "To protect and serve" but what they left off is "But not kiss your ass".
Avatar image for generalmojo_786
GeneralMojo_786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By GeneralMojo_786

*Facepalm*
that actually made me luagh, she called the police just to get her son to bed xD

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Branthog
@ryanwho said:
" @Branthog said:
" So what games or other forms of entertainment can we blame for shitty pass-the-buck parenting? "
So you couldn't be bothered to read. The article just states the facts. Its an odd call in, that's why they put it up. They don't take a slant one way or the other and everyone in the article from the author to the police seem to agree the mom is a little out of it. So there. Saved you the 2 minutes you couldn't bother to spend to read the article and have an informed opinion. "
Actually, I did read the story. Long before it was posted here. That has absolutely fuck all to do with invalidating my satirical comment about the ridiculous reactions of various parents and groups here and elsewhere as games are involved. For every story like this there are tens of thousands of people out there shaking their fists in the air in righteous support of this idiot parent.
deadfm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By deadfm

dumb reason to call the cops.

leky1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#92  Edited By leky1
@Ubiquitous said:
"

Wow I can't believe what some people will do. This lady called the police on her own son for watching "videos" of someone climbing up ladders too early in the morning. Man there are some weird laws.... 

Thats almost as bad as not being able to sleep on top of a refrigerator.

"
i lol'd.
leky1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#93  Edited By leky1
@day2daze said:

" @jonnyboy said:

I love the irony in the fact that the police were taken away from real crimes to solve a dispute over virtual ones. "

perfect.  he should have popped em all, 3 stars isn't too bad. "
LOL!This (the article) is really showing how dumb some people are...I like to think it went down like this:

Mom:Police?My son is playing a video of a man climbing ladders!
Police:Excuse me?Uhh.....Tell him to pause?Oh you video game?OK could ya call him?
Mom:SON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Police:Jesus! 
Son:Yes?
Police:Listen just turn the game off chill and go to bed brah and but a cap er ass!3 stars aint that bad!
Son:Yea sure....
misterpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By misterpope

Fail.