Soapbox (not to be confused with Soapbar)

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Edited By Hamz

Time to get on my soapbox a little and express my views, thoughts, feelings and opinions on a few things. Some related directly to GiantBomb and recent events and others related to general random things. Take from this blog what you will, if you hate it then let me know by leaving a rage fueled reply in the comments!

• Moderator Positions

For the time being we are NOT looking for or considering taking on any extra Moderators. We may have recently lost two of them but we are not looking to replace them anytime soon. So please cease sending us request and demands to become one, unless you are willing to make a donation to the Hamz Foundation for Alcoholic Beverages.

• The GiantBomb Staff

A lot of people are complaining about and demanding that the Staff become more actively and intimately involved with the community. All I'll say to this is simply take a step back for a moment and realise we have a very small number of Staff covering a very large and evolving industry. Thus the workload they have to deal with is both hectic and time consuming, have a little sympathy, support and faith for them and understand they can't always spend time to chit chat on the forums when they have work to do. I'd much rather they continue uploading top quality content to this website than see them decide to post a reply to my blogs.

• Wiki Moderators

They are the unsung heroes of this site and the authority on Wiki related matters. When they say jump, you say how high. Too many times now I'm seeing certain users continually act like they are Wiki Mods, or users go against the rules of the Wiki or not even consider consulting the Wiki Mods with Wiki related issues. This needs to change and people need to start realising that even though these fine gentlemen may spend a lot of time behind the scenes slaving over submissions and editing the Wiki they are very much active on the site. Their knowledge of the Wiki is unmatched and you should all give them the respect they are due.

• Karma / Flagging System

It would appear people would rather post "dude GTFO!" to trolls than be mature and simply flag the troll post(s) and let a Moderator deal with it. When I see a troll topic with 10 replies all of which are a variation on the above phrase I die a little inside. Are people that stupid or just that bone idle they refuse to flag content that they must know needs to be flagged? Are we going to have to take a stance that people posting in obvious flamebait or troll topics will also be moderated alongside the troll themselves? Suggest you all start using the flag option much more often.

• L4D2 Boycotters

They should have their Steam accounts banned and then bake their head in an oven. Nuff said.

• Wiki Specific Boards

There is now no excuse for not posting your topic in the correct and specific board it should have been thanks to the new feature added by Coonce which you can find more information on here. Posting about a specific DS game in the DS board is against our forum rules, the topics SHOULD be posted in the board on that games page within the Database. Once we get our more advanced moving tool we will begin to unravel the chaotic mess that some of the boards have become thanks to lazy users just dumping their topics in them.

End soapbox rant.

No Caption Provided

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Hamz

Time to get on my soapbox a little and express my views, thoughts, feelings and opinions on a few things. Some related directly to GiantBomb and recent events and others related to general random things. Take from this blog what you will, if you hate it then let me know by leaving a rage fueled reply in the comments!

• Moderator Positions

For the time being we are NOT looking for or considering taking on any extra Moderators. We may have recently lost two of them but we are not looking to replace them anytime soon. So please cease sending us request and demands to become one, unless you are willing to make a donation to the Hamz Foundation for Alcoholic Beverages.

• The GiantBomb Staff

A lot of people are complaining about and demanding that the Staff become more actively and intimately involved with the community. All I'll say to this is simply take a step back for a moment and realise we have a very small number of Staff covering a very large and evolving industry. Thus the workload they have to deal with is both hectic and time consuming, have a little sympathy, support and faith for them and understand they can't always spend time to chit chat on the forums when they have work to do. I'd much rather they continue uploading top quality content to this website than see them decide to post a reply to my blogs.

• Wiki Moderators

They are the unsung heroes of this site and the authority on Wiki related matters. When they say jump, you say how high. Too many times now I'm seeing certain users continually act like they are Wiki Mods, or users go against the rules of the Wiki or not even consider consulting the Wiki Mods with Wiki related issues. This needs to change and people need to start realising that even though these fine gentlemen may spend a lot of time behind the scenes slaving over submissions and editing the Wiki they are very much active on the site. Their knowledge of the Wiki is unmatched and you should all give them the respect they are due.

• Karma / Flagging System

It would appear people would rather post "dude GTFO!" to trolls than be mature and simply flag the troll post(s) and let a Moderator deal with it. When I see a troll topic with 10 replies all of which are a variation on the above phrase I die a little inside. Are people that stupid or just that bone idle they refuse to flag content that they must know needs to be flagged? Are we going to have to take a stance that people posting in obvious flamebait or troll topics will also be moderated alongside the troll themselves? Suggest you all start using the flag option much more often.

• L4D2 Boycotters

They should have their Steam accounts banned and then bake their head in an oven. Nuff said.

• Wiki Specific Boards

There is now no excuse for not posting your topic in the correct and specific board it should have been thanks to the new feature added by Coonce which you can find more information on here. Posting about a specific DS game in the DS board is against our forum rules, the topics SHOULD be posted in the board on that games page within the Database. Once we get our more advanced moving tool we will begin to unravel the chaotic mess that some of the boards have become thanks to lazy users just dumping their topics in them.

End soapbox rant.

No Caption Provided

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#2  Edited By citizenkane

Donations will also be appreciated that go towards the CitizenKane Foundation for Nachos or the MB Foundation for Strippers.

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By TheGamerGeek

JESUS! Nobody should fund your alcohol thing, you drunk man! Fund Sweeps, he's never drunk, right? :P Anyways, yea, I agree with most of your stuff...'eff the boycotters!

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
@Hamz said:
"For the time being we are NOT looking for or considering taking on any extra Moderators. We may have recently lost two of them "

Check under the couch cushions and then on the kitchen counter next to the phone.
SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By SpecTackle

Indeed. The staff are doing what they should be doing.

Avatar image for wallacethegreat
WallacetheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By WallacetheGreat

Make me a mod! I have plenty of free time, and I love being ignored! (I'm just joking around, please don't destroy me....)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Nice post man, hope everything goes well, as I know the forums can get pretty hectic, I wouldn't want to be the one setting people straight.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By mike
@CitizenKane said:
" Donations will also be appreciated that go towards the CitizenKane Foundation for Nachos or the MB Foundation for Strippers. "
That's the MB Foundation For Hemophiliac Midget Albino Strippers, thank you very much.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By citizenkane
*points Mod Ban Cannon onto WallacetheGreat's house*
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By citizenkane
@MB said:
" @CitizenKane said:
" Donations will also be appreciated that go towards the CitizenKane Foundation for Nachos or the MB Foundation for Strippers. "
That's the MB Foundation For Hemophiliac Midget Albino Strippers, thank you very much. "
So you finally took TheBeast's sound advice about narrowing down what your foundation is all about?  Good for you.  They need as much help as anyone else.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JJOR64

I can see why the staffers really don't post here, they have other more important stuff to do.  Also, great job on doing something about people just posting in General Discussion about one game.  One more thing, I will donate money.  :-P

Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Expletive

I, along with many others here, came from gamespot  (followed jeff here) and the amount of community involvement here is still leaps beyond anything at gamespot or most gaming websites for that matter ( with a few exceptions)

so yes more involvement from the guys would be great, but I know they are busy ass hell,  so personally I will take that i can get. 

and I mean one way to let them be able to post more in the forums and what not would be to hire more employees, but that would ruin the personal feeling of the site. 
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187

About how long does it take for a flagged piece of content to get unmarked from our accounts?

Also, what alcoholic beverages?  Maybe if they are worthwhile beverages, I might send some American cash to you so you can look at it and THINK of the alcohol you could drink with it if it were in Euros or Pounds or whatever you use over there.  Quid?
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By StarFoxA

Haha, I was joking around and replied to MB's post, and then a ton of other people requested to become a mod.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
@Hamz said:
"They are the unsung heroes of this site and the authority on Wiki related matters. When they say jump, you say how high.
But I'm afraid of heights...
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mike
@jakob187 said:
" About how long does it take for a flagged piece of content to get unmarked from our accounts
Can you rephrase that question please? I'm not sure what you mean.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mike
@Video_Game_King: You could, but you would be wrong.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King
@MB said:
" @Video_Game_King: You could, but you would be wrong. "
*turns on ominouser music* No, you would be wrong. Have you seen all the games I am familiar with? Hm? Have you?
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By RedSox8933
@MB said:
" @jakob187 said:
" About how long does it take for a flagged piece of content to get unmarked from our accounts
Can you rephrase that question please? I'm not sure what you mean. "
I think he means "How long does it take for our Karma points to go up?"
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mike
@Video_Game_King said:
*turns on ominouser music* No, you would be wrong. Have you seen all the games I am familiar with? Hm? Have you? "
It's less about general knowledge and more about behind the scenes stuff. How the site works, the moderation tools, investigating plagiarism, dealing with users, editing, renaming, and deleting pages...stuff like that. Those things only come along with experience doing the job.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King
@MB said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
*turns on ominouser music* No, you would be wrong. Have you seen all the games I am familiar with? Hm? Have you? "
It's less about general knowledge and more about behind the scenes stuff. How the site works, the moderation tools, investigating plagiarism, dealing with users, editing, renaming, and deleting pages...stuff like that. Those things only come along with experience doing the job. "
......*turns on semi-humble music* Oh, the system. I thought it was general knowledge. I guess I'll try to find out which scenes these guys are behind so I can ask them if they use the same tools your high school English teacher uses :P.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Claude

I've flagged a few in my day. The Wiki portion works fine for what I use it for. I started adding forum posts to their proper place before it was cool. As long as I'm not in my cups too bad, I'm good. Speak it brother, tell 'em how it is and will be.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24  Edited By jakob187
@RedSox8933 said:
" @MB said:
" @jakob187 said:
Can you rephrase that question please? I'm not sure what you mean. "
I think he means "How long does it take for our Karma points to go up?" "
I'm always afraid of flagging content because a flag is a point against us, and 10 points means we can't post.  Now, there are times everyday where I could flag at least 10 points worth of content because I know that it's necessary flagging needed to be done...but it also means that I will have points against me until they are taken care of by the mods...and I kind of like posting on the forums.

Mainly, I bring up the question of time frame because I don't remember it being addressed.  I simply remember a statement of "there's never a time where someone could bring up 10 points worth of flags unless they are abusing the feature".  Yet here is a blog talking about the abuse of the forums in some respect with the posting of threads outside of game-specific boards.  Are those things to flag, and if they are, then PLENTY of us would be over 10 flags in less than an hour!  lol

Maybe the time frame thing was addressed, but if it was, I either don't remember it or never saw it.  So I just figured I'd ask.  That's all.  = D
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By RedSox8933
@jakob187: I believe that coonce has a blog that says after each day you get 1 point back. I don't know if there is a maximum number of points you can have or what, let me check that blog to confirm.

EDIT: Here is coonce's blog explaining the karma system.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jayge_
@jakob187 said:
" About how long does it take for a flagged piece of content to get unmarked from our accounts?

Also, what alcoholic beverages?  Maybe if they are worthwhile beverages, I might send some American cash to you so you can look at it and THINK of the alcohol you could drink with it if it were in Euros or Pounds or whatever you use over there.  Quid?
"
Hamz is a bartender.
Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Optiow

Sounds good. I have never wanted to use the flagging system though, I never feel like it is the right thing and I might get modded for it. As for the staff, I understand that they are busy, but how hard could it be to spend say...10 minutes a day looking at your own websites forums and contributing to the discussions. Other than that it does sound good. Who was the other mod we lost? I know about Endogene but who was the other?

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Johnny5

*turns on intense music*  ahhhh!!!! Video_Game_King wants to rule the kingdom with an iron fist!

Good post Hamz, you tell those L4D2 Boycotters! Also yes I am surprised how often people feed trolls.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hamz
@jakob187: You cannot flag content after you gain 5 karma points. This is to stop spam / abuse of the system and make sure people are only flagging the really necessary stuff. To reach 10 karma points you will have had to have received moderations on content of your own that someone else flagged. IE your posts got flagged and moderated. Thus people who hit 10 karma points deserve it. Karma points degrade at 1 point per day until you finally hit 0 again. In essence users should never worry about their Karma level as we'll always be on hand to reset it when needed.

As for how quickly do we deal with flagged content, almost immediately. There is always a Forum Moderator online to deal with the queue so we'll definately get to flagged content pretty much as soon as it arrives in our queue.

@Optiow said:
"Who was the other mod we lost? I know about Eugene but who was the other? "
BoG, he was a Forum Moderator from day 1 when the site launched. Been with us through thick and thin, here is his goodbye blog.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Pibo47
@CitizenKane said:
You guys got paypal?
Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#31  Edited By Ping5000

I have paypal.

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kiemoe

Left 4 Dead 2 Comment FTW. Never Have I loved a mod more than right now.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#33  Edited By natetodamax

Hamz, you are my favorite mod. I love you (in a brotherly way, of course)

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Video_Game_King
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mike

Axersia stepped down as a Wiki mod for personal reasons, and no, we still are not looking to bring on any new moderators. Oh, and bump.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Snail

Oh for fuck's sake Hamz. The staff is not too busy. Just follow their tweeter feed. They have time for the community, don't give me crap.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hamz
@Snail: I fail to see how their twitter feeds relate to their use of time?
Caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Caddy

Hamish, did you not hear? Twitter has everything to do with anything these days. God.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Snail
@Hamz: It proves that they have a lot of free time. Seriously, read them.
Caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Caddy

Oh yeah. I forgot typing a small twitter message takes up a lot of free time.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mike
@Caddy said:
" Oh yeah. I forgot typing a small twitter message takes up a lot of free time. "
Especially from an iPhone. So time consuming!
Caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Caddy
@MB said:
" @Caddy said:
" Oh yeah. I forgot typing a small twitter message takes up a lot of free time. "
Especially from an iPhone. So time consuming! "
I waste half my day typing 140 character messages. I don't know how I get anything done.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mike
@Caddy: This is why I refuse to sign up for Twitter. I have a Facebook account and got really into it for a couple of days talking to girls, then I realized I was expending WAY too much energy following friends' activities so I dropped it altogether. I'll keep in touch the old-fashioned way...with smoke signals and carrier pigeons.
VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By VWGTI
@MB:

I still prefer just carrier pigeons, but smoke signals are good to use from time to time.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mike
@VWGTI: Don't forget semaphore. Oh, and some asshole dented the rear passenger door of my GTI today. Nice, huh?
VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By VWGTI
@MB:

Ugh. That's so sad...

I had some asshole swing open his door while I was pulling into a parking space. I have a little scuff on my front bumper. I feel ya, man.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By RHCPfan24

I get a monthly wine shipment to my house so, you know, an address change is not a hard thing to do....

Also, I am still frustrated at the fact that many users still post discussions in the General Discussion as you pointed out, or even in a console page. Seriously, why go through the trouble of finding a page when it obviously is a wrong one. We have some users (*cough*SDL*cough*) who do this on a regular basis and, no matter how many times they are asked to stop, continue unabated.