What is the most disappointing game of 2010?

• 196 results
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#101  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Final Fantasy XIII, but let's get something straight.  Despite my disappointment, it's still a quality game.  It was just a disappointment in that it never really felt like a Final Fantasy game should.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Force Unleashed 2 maybe? I was looking forward to them fixing some of the problems with the first game, and from what I understand, some of that stuff is really not much better. Mainly the whole, get knocked down mechanics. Getting knocked down sucks.

Hearing that Treyarch still failed on the Veteran SP in Black Ops. After IW did a really good job to make Veteran mostly fair in MW2, I thought we would be past this. =/

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#103  Edited By sweep  Moderator
Crackdown 2. That totally happened this year. What a fucking anti-climax :/
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#104  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Mafia 2. All the other games are pretty much what I expected them to be. Mafia 2 was just so disappointing. Ugh.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By ajamafalous

Mass Effect 2 easily.

KingPossum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#106  Edited By KingPossum

Final Fantasy XIII

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By gike987
@SSully said:

" Mass Effect 2- I just got bored and couldnt finish it. I will most likely go back and finish it and or start a new game, i just couldnt get into it.  Fallout New Vegas- I have not finished it yet, and what i have played has been pretty enjoyable, but it feels really linear. You see all of these huge landscapes but its not like fallout 3 where you can go in almost any direction and just explore. In this it seems like you can go for so long then hit a mountain or something. Even when you dont there is nothing to really find. Most places you find aren't really anything to explore, they will just be empty places that are just named. As i said, i havent beaten the game yet, i am not even at vegas yet. I am having fun with it, but just not as much fun as fallout 3.   EDIT:  Someone mentioned Dante's Inferno. That was one big crap fest, i remember seeing the quick look, and even playing the demo, and i felt it was alot of fun. But once i got the full game it just felt generic and plain bad. I should have just waited for GOW 3, which was great.  "

Keep playing Fallout: NV. For me it felt like the game opened up after vegas. Also the side quests in fallout new vegas are bit harder to find than in fallout 3 so it's pretty easy to miss most of them.

As for most disappointing game, easily Mass Effect 2. Everything (except the combat) felt worse than the first Mass Effect.
Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#108  Edited By Nardak

Fable 3 I would say.

The game promises that you can be a king and decide over matters pertaining to the kingdom. As it turns out the decisions are just a matter of either pressing "the good button", "the neutral button" or the "evil button".

At a certain count of days the game suddenly fast forwards to the endgame. Somehow Fable 1 and Fable 2 were much better at telling a plot and those games seemed longer. Might be just that the industrial period just doesnt seem to fit a fable tale that well. 

Also I really dont understand the point of emotes in this game. The emotes are totally linear and it feels strange to clap hands with strangers and raise their friendliness level towards me.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Vinny_Says
@gunslingerNZ said:
" On a personal level it would be fable 3. Keep in mind I haven't actually played the game but this was the one I really wanted to get into. Hearing about the offensive UI and extremely easy combat was a huge disappointment. "
You're disappointed by a game you haven't played? good call!

OT: Fallout NV crashed too much, I was expecting bugs but not crashes every 3 hours....
gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#110  Edited By gunslingerNZ
@blacklabeldomm: That's why I qualified it by saying that I hadn't played it, don't get butthurt about it. It's easy to be disappointed by a game when you really want it to be good but it isn't and there's no point wasting money on it.
megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 29

#111  Edited By megalowho

God of War 3 was such an angry chore after the first level, was not really a fan. DJ Max Portable 3 also was a noticeable drop in features and quality of music for the series. 

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#112  Edited By Sushbag

God of War 3. I was pretty excited about it before release, simply because it was God of War on the PS3. 'Nuff said, right? But then when I played it I couldn't be fussed to get past the first hour. I suddenly realized I was bored with playing more God of War with better graphics.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#113  Edited By tearhead

Final Fantasy XIII

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gunslingerNZ said:

" @blacklabeldomm: That's why I qualified it by saying that I hadn't played it, don't get butthurt about it. It's easy to be disappointed by a game when you really want it to be good but it isn't and there's no point wasting money on it. "

I was also put off by the review, but when I actually got to play it I loved it and had none of those problems.
stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By stinky

F you all for reminding me of God of War 3.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Crackdown 2...it was the first game, but somehow managed to be more broken

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#117  Edited By nickux
@Bigrhyno said:
" Probably God of War 3. It's not because it was a bad game, but because I expected it to be better. "
This, this, a thousand times this. 
AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By AlKusanagi

The Force Unleashed 2 followed closely by Heavy Rain.

MushroomSamba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#119  Edited By MushroomSamba

Final Fantasy XIII and Halo: Reach. Not bad games per se, but just painfully mediocre.

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By matt

Red Dead Redemption

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#121  Edited By Turambar

Valkyria Chronicles 2.  I was hoping for a game that fixed some of the flaws of the first game.  Instead, it somehow managed to make things worse.

taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By taccyp

Can't say I was truly disappointed by any games I've played this year. Sure, I've played some bad games, but I went into them expecting that they were going to be bad.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By bwmcmaste
@Bones8677 said:
" Also ladies and gentlemen, let's not forget about Command and Conquer 4. "
Ah yes. I steered clear of that abomination and was glad for it. 

I like to quote Ryan Davis when it comes to maintaining high expectations about upcoming games: "because you know having really high expectations is the best thing when it comes to new games (sardonically)"
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@bwmcmaste said:

" @Bones8677 said:

" Also ladies and gentlemen, let's not forget about Command and Conquer 4. "
Ah yes. I steered clear of that abomination and was glad for it.  I like to quote Ryan Davis when it comes to maintaining high expectations about upcoming games: "because you know having really high expectations is the best thing when it comes to new games (sardonically)" "
I totally agree, just don't tell KaosAngel that about GT5... :D 

I haven't played it but i expected more from Fable 3.
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#125  Edited By GunstarRed

Dark Void
KingLouis51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#126  Edited By KingLouis51

Mafia II
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Comic Jumper
Sonic 4

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@WinterSnowblind said:
" @Scooper said:
"Crackdown 2. That game was complete wank. "
Pretty much have to agree with this.  The first one was a lot of fun to play through with friends, it wasn't the most involving game ever, but just a lot of fun. The second seemed to go out of its way to change and ruin everything I liked about the first one.  Evolving characters, transforming vehicles, varied objectives that can be completed however you change. "
I'm with you guys on that.
SolidOcelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#128  Edited By SolidOcelot

FABLE 3, that is all

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#129  Edited By Ravenousrattler

Alpha protocol, it should of been way better than it was.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#130  Edited By jimi

Command and Conquer 4 ... Just holy shit dude. 

Only other one I can think of it Halo: Reach, but I'm not really sure I was expecting with that game. Loved it but it is just more Halo.

soli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By soli
@animathias: omg this...have no idea how much i tried to love that effin game..even bought it from japan when it came..never finished it.
audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By audiosnag

AvP.
It wasn't bad by any means...it just wasn't the continuation of the series i was hoping for.
The first two games were so good.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#133  Edited By Siphillis

Medal of Honor.  Then again, the game never really looked good from the released footage, but I always figured the pedigree would rise to the challenge at least somewhat. 

Second Prize goes to Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days, for abandoning many of its neat, if half-baked, ideas in favor of becoming a samey, underwhelming cover-based third person shooter.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By nintendoeats

I realise that this has probably already been said...

But I think that too much was made of the Hideo Kojima-Castlevania thing. I was super pumped, and then it just turned out to be some GOW/POP clone. 

FUCKIN

GREAT

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By nintendoeats
@TheGreatGuero said:
" @WinterSnowblind said:
" @Scooper said:
"Crackdown 2. That game was complete wank. "
Pretty much have to agree with this.  The first one was a lot of fun to play through with friends, it wasn't the most involving game ever, but just a lot of fun. The second seemed to go out of its way to change and ruin everything I liked about the first one.  Evolving characters, transforming vehicles, varied objectives that can be completed however you change. "
I'm with you guys on that. "
Actually, this is probably the real correct answer.
DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By DukeTogo

Gran Turismo 5, since it can't live up to the expectations of such a long wait - little can.

For current releases Metroid: Other M.  I went from genuine excitement to utter indifference once I saw how broken the controls were.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#137  Edited By ArbitraryWater

What? Why are people saying New Vegas? Once you get past the fact that it's a technical train-wreck, I think it's a significantly better game than Fallout 3. Perhaps it's because I think Obsidian is a fairly mediocre developer (I didn't get Alpha Protocol, mostly because of all the negativity surrounding it, but from what I understand that game is an excellent candidate for this thread), but I'm pleasantly surprised with what I've played so far.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By phrosnite

The only 2010 games I've played are Mass Effect 2 and DoW2: Chaos Rising... But the most disappointing games that I've played in 2010 are Diablo 2 and The Witcher.

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By sjosz

For me personally: 

Final Fantasy XIII:
I was hoping so badly for another grand, epic journey with a band of different people/creatures to come across all sorts of ridiculous intrigue and emotional brick walls like I experienced the older ones, and then it turned into a largely uninteresting linear story with less than stellar voice-acting and an emphasis on a combat system I did not feel worked that great. 

Comic Jumper:
The premise/trailers made this look interesting, but the gameplay in this game is pretty awful. Loved seeing the different comic styles and the jokes that could be made with them but by the end of the game I was glad I'd finished it. 

Crackdown 2:
Whoa. Where did the interesting mission structure go? What happened to free-form figure out how to approach the situation? A story of sadness and an unfortunate and uninteresting experience.

There's a couple more that were disappointing experiences for me personally, but there's a good deal of games this year that I thought were absolutely fantastic as well. In no particular order: 
Costume Quest, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, Deathspank, The Undergarden, Just Cause 2, Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect 2 (obvious personal bias of course), God of War 3, Fallout: New Vegas.
Really, this year is not a terrible year to love playing games.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By JoelTGM

Oh, Alpha Protocol I guess.  I was really excited to play it, but when I saw the shooting was kind of garbage, I passed on it. 

The game that impressed me the most was Dead Rising 2.  it impressed me by how much you can do and how insane it is, and I never played the first one so the concept of picking anything up and throwing it at zombies was new to me.

krisgebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By krisgebis

Fable 3 
Final Fantasy 13 
Crackfown 2 
Alpha Protocol (ALOT)
Dante's Inferno  
Mafia 2 
Alien vs. Predator

Let's wait and see how GT5 preformes.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#142  Edited By Julmust

Heavy Rain. What a piece of shit, it started out great and just got worse IMO.

tracerace11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By tracerace11

I definitely hear the Fable 3, Alan Wake, and Dante's Inferno arguments, but being a sports gamer, I was seriously disappointed with Madden 2011.  How the mess do you screw up the online component that bad when NCAA works flawlessly online?  It was the first Madden game I quit playing ranked matches on due to lag/quitting/jankiness. 
agentmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By agentmoo

Crackdown 2... I was psyched to play more of the original with some new scenery and updated controls, but they just browned up the original city and didn't touch the clumsy targeting.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Vinny_Says
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" @gunslingerNZ said:

" @blacklabeldomm: That's why I qualified it by saying that I hadn't played it, don't get butthurt about it. It's easy to be disappointed by a game when you really want it to be good but it isn't and there's no point wasting money on it. "

I was also put off by the review, but when I actually got to play it I loved it and had none of those problems. "
Nobody's getting butthurt, it's not like I made the game. All I'm saying is it's hard to judge something without trying it. For example I found none of the problems brad had with the UI terrible, I quite enjoyed the UI actually. I hear that Crackdown 2 was a big letdown but I'm not just going to blatantly agree with Jeff and the GB users and say it sucked because I haven't played it.
Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Aus_azn

Fallout: New Vegas.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#147  Edited By Red

Dark Void, FF13.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#148  Edited By aurahack

God of War III and Crackdown 2 :/

Though I'll just say FUEL continues to be disappointing, despite being a 2009 release. Fuck that game for STILL continuing to make me hate it.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By buzz_clik

In my household it's probably Fable 3. My girlfriend and I are both enjoying it, but it definitely hasn't lived up to what we expected; it certainly seems like a step backwards when compared to its predecessor.

bakumatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By bakumatsu

Mafia II - Loved the first one but this was a huge letdown
 Alpha Protocol - Didn't played much of it but what I played was enough to dissapoint me.
Mass Effect 2 (kinda) - Wish it had more rpg elements, which is the very reason why I'm so afraid of what they are doing to Dragon Age 2.